[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 134281 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #725 on: December 19, 2021, 12:02:25 PM »
Marquette v. Seton Hall on FS1! A pleasant Sunday morning surprise.

Marquette made a nice run in the 2nd quarter after going down by about 8.  McLaughlin is having a nice game.  Still more turnovers than I'd like with 9 first half TO's for MU.  Hopefully they can have a good second half.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #726 on: December 19, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »
Marquette made a nice run in the 2nd quarter after going down by about 8.  McLaughlin is having a nice game.  Still more turnovers than I'd like with 9 first half TO's for MU.  Hopefully they can have a good second half.

7-0 run to tie and then gave up an 8-0 run 16-0 run. Getting hurt on the offensive boards, no patience on offense or legit second option.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:33:18 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #727 on: December 19, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
I guess the national TV jinx transcends sports.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #728 on: December 19, 2021, 12:37:49 PM »
7-0 run to tie and then gave up an 8-0 run 16-0 run. Getting hurt on the offensive boards, no patience on offense or legit second option.

Yeah this was the sort of thing I was worried about.  Too many turnovers and offensive struggles so far this season.  There's a good reason they aren't projected to be an NCAA Tournament team at this point.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #729 on: December 19, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
I guess the national TV jinx transcends sports.

It's a Title IX requirement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #730 on: December 22, 2021, 01:42:39 PM »
Sharpshooter Karisa McLaughlin went down holding her ankle in today’s game.

Nirel Lougbo checked into the game in the second quarter - her first game action since the 19-20 season.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #731 on: December 24, 2021, 07:52:25 AM »
Marquette's first game after the Christmas holiday is at UCONN on Wed. 12/29. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #732 on: December 24, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »

Debating whether to go

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #733 on: December 26, 2021, 03:13:02 PM »

Good luck if the game will even be played.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #734 on: December 26, 2021, 06:02:48 PM »
Looks like it has been postponed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #735 on: December 27, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »
Looks like it has been postponed.

Big East release on the cancellation - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2021/12/26/big-east-announces-womens-basketball-schedule-change.aspx

They will attempt to reschedule the game.  Marquette's next scheduled game isn't until January 7th at Creighton.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #736 on: December 28, 2021, 07:47:31 AM »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #737 on: December 28, 2021, 07:13:28 PM »
How is Karisa’s ankle?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #738 on: December 28, 2021, 09:22:20 PM »
How is Karisa’s ankle?

No idea unfortunately and not expecting to hear anything about it either.  We just had a player not play for almost two years with no updates from MU (Lougbo).  Will have to see if McLaughlin is able to play in MU’s next game. 

UCONN now has Covid issues also and their game at DePaul on 12/31 was postponed.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #739 on: January 03, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
Natisha Hiedeman resigns with the Connecticut Sun:

https://twitter.com/ConnecticutSun/status/1478021923070173187

I would really love to see something in the Al highlighting her as an MU alum playing in the WNBA especially as she's the first and so far only Marquette alum to play in the league.  I'm talking about playing - I know MU alum Nicki (Taggart) Collen used to coach in the WNBA.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2022, 09:13:27 PM »
Saw she is available on Cameo if anyone wants to give a unique gift to an mu women’s bball fan.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #741 on: January 12, 2022, 10:42:26 PM »
Fun game tonight at the Al that at first appeared MU had won on a tip-in by LVK with less than a second to go.  But that was waved off after a long review.  Marquette took care of business in OT prevailing 88-85 over rival DePaul.  Karissa McLaughlin had the big stat line with  24 pts, 4 reb, 3 ast, 2 TO, 2 stl playing all 45 minutes of the game.  I was really impressed with sophomore Danyel Middleton tonight - she had a nice game including two 3 pointers and 10 rebounds.

MU has two more home games coming up this weekend - Fri vs. Georgetown and Sun vs. Villanova

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #742 on: January 12, 2022, 11:37:46 PM »
Nice win. Good job, ladies.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #743 on: January 13, 2022, 08:06:38 AM »
Fun game tonight at the Al that at first appeared MU had won on a tip-in by LVK with less than a second to go.  But that was waved off after a long review.  Marquette took care of business in OT prevailing 88-85 over rival DePaul.  Karissa McLaughlin had the big stat line with  24 pts, 4 reb, 3 ast, 2 TO, 2 stl playing all 45 minutes of the game.  I was really impressed with sophomore Danyel Middleton tonight - she had a nice game including two 3 pointers and 10 rebounds.

MU has two more home games coming up this weekend - Fri vs. Georgetown and Sun vs. Villanova

DePaul came in having won 8 of 9, only losing a recent close one at home to Notre Dame.

McLaughlin has had some big games for MUWBB this year. She shot the ball well.

Another difference is getting some front court scoring. In the recent losses to Creighton and Seton Hall, MUWBB hasn’t been able to do that. In two recent losses, Van Kleunen and Marotta combined for 18 points over two games. Against DePaul, they had 20 and 16.

And they were able to hold Sonya Morris to 13.

Nice to see Juan Toscano-Anderson at the game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #744 on: January 13, 2022, 08:56:38 AM »
How was the attendance?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #745 on: January 13, 2022, 10:06:22 AM »
How was the attendance?

Typical - not a ton of people there.  1227 in the box score.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #746 on: January 13, 2022, 10:21:33 AM »
It was interesting to watch the video of the tip-in at the end of regulation - it appears to be good based on the light on the backboard but they ruled the clock didn't start on time:

https://twitter.com/_robanderson/status/1481462705357737985

MU82

• All American
« Reply #747 on: January 13, 2022, 10:40:12 AM »
It was interesting to watch the video of the tip-in at the end of regulation - it appears to be good based on the light on the backboard but they ruled the clock didn't start on time:

https://twitter.com/_robanderson/status/1481462705357737985

I think the refs got it right, but that had to be brutal for the players and coaches in the moment. Big kudos to them for being able to win in OT; some teams might have been too deflated.

Always nice to beat DePaul. It's not realistic for Marquette to be UConn in women's hoops, but DePaul's year-in, year-out consistently good showing is something for Marquette to aspire to.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #748 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »
I think the refs got it right, but that had to be brutal for the players and coaches in the moment. Big kudos to them for being able to win in OT; some teams might have been too deflated.

Always nice to beat DePaul. It's not realistic for Marquette to be UConn in women's hoops, but DePaul's year-in, year-out consistently good showing is something for Marquette to aspire to.

Seemed like we were about to be after the past 5yrs till this year took a big step back. Hope Duffy can build it back again before losing too much momentum.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #749 on: January 13, 2022, 01:29:22 PM »

It wasn't easy for the fans to wait out that review either :).  But seriously I'm sure it was very hard for the players and coaches. 

I went from so excited thinking they'd won to realizing they were going to review it and that it probably  had a good chance to be waved off.  I was worried DePaul had the momentum going into OT and MU had also lost their spark of Middleton who fouled out near the end of regulation. But they took care of business in OT.  There was also a very long review on an out of bounds call with one minute to go in OT.  They originally had awarded the ball to MU who had a 4 point lead at that point.  After this long review, the ball was awarded to DePaul who scored to cut it to 2 points.  Kudos to Jordan King who hustled back after turning over the ball to draw a charge late in OT - the lead was down to 2 points at that point as I recall and that kept DePaul from tying the game as it looked like they were going to do there. I was kind of surprised they called the charge there but I'll take it :).

Marquette doesn't look like an NCAA Tournament team this season but it was nice to see them get the win over a rival last night especially after their 11 point 3rd quarter lead turned into a 7 point 4th quarter deficit.  They fought back nicely in this one.

feedback