[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 132048 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #675 on: August 20, 2021, 07:40:44 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #676 on: August 27, 2021, 08:44:56 PM »
They haven't put out an announcement yet but I just checked and saw the 21-22 non-conference schedule on the MU website:

https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule

It's not a very tough schedule overall.  They have a tournament around Thanksgiving in Daytona Beach playing Middle Tennessee State (usually a good mid-major) and Georgia - a good SEC team.  One interesting thing to me is the only state school they are playing is UWM - no UW and no UWGB on the schedule.

For the tournament, they were supposed to go to the Bahamas for the 20-21 season for the Battle 4Atlantis Tournament.  Unfortunately they couldn't do that this season because fellow Big East member UCONN is playing in that one this season.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #677 on: August 28, 2021, 04:30:16 PM »
First three home dates are the same as the men.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #678 on: October 01, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »
Women's schedule
3 games on FS1
1 game on FS2
1 on CBSSN
1 SNY/Fox Sports App
1 game on FOX!!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #679 on: October 05, 2021, 10:31:29 PM »
Women's schedule
3 games on FS1
1 game on FS2
1 on CBSSN
1 SNY/Fox Sports App
1 game on FOX!!

I finally looked at the BE schedule tonight and was pleasantly surprised to see how many games they have on TV. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #680 on: October 06, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
Heideman almost single handedly brought the Sun back into tonight's game against the Sky. Down 18, she drops two threes in a row to start an 11-0 run. Played crunch time the rest of the way but Sun lost and season over. I don't know her contract status but she can only have helped her professional career tonight.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »
South Carolina's Dawn Staley gets a new 7 year $22.4 Million deal.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #682 on: October 16, 2021, 07:40:27 AM »
South Carolina's Dawn Staley gets a new 7 year $22.4 Million deal.

I saw that.

No coach should be paid as much as revenue-sport, power-conference coaches are paid. But that's idealistic, and the genie's been out of the bottle for a long time now ... and he or she ain't gonna get put back in. So if there's a handful of coaches who really are "worth" these outrageous salaries, Dawn Staley would be one of them. Congrats to her.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #683 on: October 24, 2021, 09:51:10 PM »
Planning to take my 11-year-old niece to her first MU WBB game this year.  It will likely need to be a weekend date. Are there any kid-friendly events or promotions which I should keep my eyes open for?  I haven't been to a women's game in several years so not sure if there are pre or post-game opportunities to engage beyond the game itself.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #684 on: October 26, 2021, 08:52:32 AM »
Planning to take my 11-year-old niece to her first MU WBB game this year.  It will likely need to be a weekend date. Are there any kid-friendly events or promotions which I should keep my eyes open for?  I haven't been to a women's game in several years so not sure if there are pre or post-game opportunities to engage beyond the game itself.

They will have some. I haven't seen a list yet.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #685 on: October 26, 2021, 10:48:34 PM »
They will have some. I haven't seen a list yet.

Thank you.  In that case, I will keep my eyes open and not plan something too quickly here.  I think the first possible date I'd consider isn't until Dec 5 (Butler) so have some time.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #686 on: October 27, 2021, 07:32:15 PM »

Yeah as someone else already said I don't know when the promo list will be out.  They also sometimes have players sign autographs afterwards so I'd listen for that being announced if you think that is something your niece might be interested in.

• All American
« Reply #687 on: November 10, 2021, 08:00:48 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #688 on: November 10, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
LVK mention in this article.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-big-east-isnt-only-about-uconn/

Hilarious that they claimed UCONN used to lose regularly in the OBE, by my count they lost 18 games in the last 20 seasons in that, 5 of which were in the last two. Seems to be a stretch to say they lost regularly.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #689 on: November 10, 2021, 09:09:13 PM »
Hilarious that they claimed UCONN used to lose regularly in the OBE, by my count they lost 18 games in the last 20 seasons in that, 5 of which were in the last two. Seems to be a stretch to say they lost regularly.

Yeah that gave me a good laugh to read that - don't think you could say they lost regularly at all in the OBE.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2021, 09:17:18 PM »
It's hard to tell much from a blowout in a buy game but last night was fun to be at a game in person for the first time in a year and a half and fun to get my first look at a lot of new players.  Everyone in uniform for the game played but in sweats were Claire Kaifes, Rose Nkumu and Nirel Lougbo.  I still don't know why Lougbo sat out all of last season and it was a bit disconcerting to see her in sweats for this game - guess I'll just have to wait and see if she's able to play this season.

Just looked at the game notes and the years of players are going to take a bit for me to get used to with everyone being listed as a redshirt for the extra Covid year - weird to see Chloe Marotta listed as a redshirt junior instead of a senior.

MU announced 3 signings today - I'm really behind these days as I'd only heard of one of the commitments before this announcement (La Chapell):  https://gomarquette.com/news/2021/11/10/womens-basketball-marquette-signs-three-to-national-letters-of-intent.aspx

• All American
« Reply #691 on: November 13, 2021, 09:22:45 PM »
Just saw that Charlie Creme has MU in the tourney field.

Wonder if his nickname is Krispy...

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2021, 08:22:17 AM »
Yeah Creme has Marquette as one of the last 4 in which is what they were for the 20-21 season:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

They are one of 3 Big East teams in his projection - no surprise that UCONN and DePaul are the other BE teams included. 

I forgot until reading his article again that there is some talk of expanding the Women's Tourney to 68 teams also.  There is a vote this month to determine if that happens.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #693 on: November 14, 2021, 07:59:13 PM »
NJIT who Marquette beat rather easily Friday night won in Madison today - https://uwbadgers.com/news/2021/11/14/womens-basketball-badgers-fall-to-njit-in-first-loss-of-season.aspx

Yes I expect Marquette to be quite a bit better than UW this year - just interesting to compare a common opponent especially since MU and UW aren't playing yet again this season. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #694 on: November 15, 2021, 02:13:33 AM »
NJIT who Marquette beat rather easily Friday night won in Madison today - https://uwbadgers.com/news/2021/11/14/womens-basketball-badgers-fall-to-njit-in-first-loss-of-season.aspx

Yes I expect Marquette to be quite a bit better than UW this year - just interesting to compare a common opponent especially since MU and UW aren't playing yet again this season.

Which is strange because on paper that Wisconsin roster is pretty darn good.

Wilke and Stauffacher were studs for absolutely loaded Beaver Dam teams and they got a ton of talent from Illinois.

Schramek and especially Halle Douglas were some of the best players in the state for two plus years.

Ellew is interesting because she played for a god awful high school team but I see she put up 29 in their exhibition.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #695 on: November 15, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
A woman I assistant-coached in high school, Kennedy Cash, is an NJIT reserve, but it looks like she's buried pretty deep on the bench. She got in during garbage time against MU and played 3 minutes; didn't play against Madison.

Great young woman from wonderful family, very good academically, hard worker, very bright future. I'm guessing the NJIT coaches love her because she really pushes the starters during practice. Probably the most fun thing about coaching is that you get to meet and work with so many great kids.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2021, 06:41:39 PM »
Women's tournament officially expanding to 68 teams.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #697 on: November 17, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
Women's tournament officially expanding to 68 teams.

This also means the Women's Selection Show moves back to Sunday for the first time since 2005.  It had been on Monday for quite awhile now.  I do like waiting one less day to find out the bracket although it may mean less time/attention for the Women's Selection show - we'll see.  And the NCAA article does reflect the fact they are now using March Madness to refer to the Women's Tournament also - https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-expansion-of-2022-di-womens-basketball-tournament-to-68-teams-approved

Interesting about the sites of the opening games from that article:

For the 2022 championship only, the four opening round games will be conducted on the campuses of teams seeded in the top 16. Sites will be selected based on bracketing principles and procedures. All sites bidding to host first- and second-round games must agree to host the opening-round game as well. Beginning with the 2023 championship, the first four games will be conducted at a to-be-determined neutral site.

Charlie Creme updated his bracketology after this change and it takes Marquette from one of the last 4 in to one of the last 4 byes.  Their next opponent - Colorado is also listed as one of the last 4 byes in his bracketology - https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30423107/ncaa-women-bracketology-2022-women-college-basketball-projections

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:45:25 PM by Marquette Fan »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #698 on: November 21, 2021, 06:50:57 AM »
Turnovers are a concern so far this season - they are averaging 19.5 per game and had 25 against Southern and 23 in their loss at Colorado.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #699 on: November 22, 2021, 03:35:52 PM »
Kamorea "KK" Arnold from Germantown's class of 2023 announced her verbal commitment to UCONN today:

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-secures-first-commitment-from-Class-of-16642408.php
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:37:22 PM by Marquette Fan »

feedback