collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Women's Basketball Thread  (Read 134485 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: 2019-20 MU Women's Basketball Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
I don't really see her ending up at UCONN.  But if she continues to do well at Marquette a school from a P5 conference will hire her at some point.  As I've said before, I just plan to enjoy the ride while she's here...

Realistically what type of success would she need to have to build her brand at MU? I mean Carolyn K built a solid foundation, if Duffy continues to build on that are we looking at getting a bump in status as a job she might stay at? Or will there never be enough support to actually keep someone?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »
Realistically what type of success would she need to have to build her brand at MU? I mean Carolyn K built a solid foundation, if Duffy continues to build on that are we looking at getting a bump in status as a job she might stay at? Or will there never be enough support to actually keep someone?

There are two big issues with that happening in my opinion - the status of the Big East as a Women's Basketball conference and fan support of the program.  The Big East in Women's Basketball is one small step above a mid-major and is not a power conference.  UCONN returning this season is not going to change that all that much.  Kieger jumping to Penn State moved to a much better conference. 

And if they couldn't draw well during the 18-19 season, I just don't see that happening really.  They moved up to as high as #8 in the national rankings and had two stars from Milwaukee along with a star from Green Bay (so local products too) yet their attendance still wasn't all that great.  It was higher during the 18-19 season than it had been in years before that but it still was quite sad to me that they weren't selling out the Al regularly with that team.  I had feared that if they had gotten to host NCAA Tournament games that they wouldn't have even had all that great attendance for those.  But then Davenport tore  her ACL and that conference tournament final game against DePaul that I never want to think about again happened and that wasn't a concern any more...

I'd love to be wrong and see Duffy doing really well at MU for a long time though :).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »
It is being reported that current Boston Celtics assistant, and former Tennessee star player, Kara Lawson has emerged as a leading candidate for the vacant head coaching position at Duke. (She was a terrific in hame basketball analyst in my opinion)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
It is being reported that current Boston Celtics assistant, and former Tennessee star player, Kara Lawson has emerged as a leading candidate for the vacant head coaching position at Duke. (She was a terrific in hame basketball analyst in my opinion)

Superbar.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2020, 02:29:12 PM »
Superbar.

This is Superbar. It’s also the MU women’s basketball thread. There has been previous discussion about MU’s coach leaving for a Power 5 position in a few years if she is successful at MU.  MU was not able to be competitive to keep the previous coach. This is one of the different examples of coaches being considered and hired at Power 5 positions. We really didn’t need a Duke women’s basketball thread. (although that’d be fine as some of us here like to discuss women’s hoops beyond just MU)

We don’t have to be insular, provincial, and parochial.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:38:00 PM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »

Welcome to Scoop!  Feel free to grab a drink at the bar and stay awhile!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2020, 02:40:01 PM »

Welcome to Scoop!  Feel free to grab a drink at the bar and stay awhile!

Got me there. That just isn’t my thing.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
This is Superbar.

My bad.  Wrong thread.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »
My bad.  Wrong thread.

No worries. 👍

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2020, 06:44:35 PM »
No worries. 👍

No, I meant that a post about Duke basketball does not belong in this thread.
Have some patience, FFS.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »
No, I meant that a post about Duke basketball does not belong in this thread.

Lol.

Well then I will refer you to my post above. Or I can just simply cut and paste it for you to help you:

This is Superbar. It’s also the MU women’s basketball thread. There has been previous discussion about MU’s coach leaving for a Power 5 position in a few years if she is successful at MU.  MU was not able to be competitive to keep the previous coach. This is one of the different examples of coaches being considered and hired at Power 5 positions. We really didn’t need a Duke women’s basketball thread. (although that’d be fine as some of us here like to discuss women’s hoops beyond just MU)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »
How about a diversion. Any news on Women's basketball recruiting?

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #212 on: July 12, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

Yeah I miss her as a commentator - thought she did a good job.  I never saw Duffy's name suggested for the opening which is fine with me :).  I think it's a good hire by Duke.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #213 on: July 12, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »
How about a diversion. Any news on Women's basketball recruiting?

I haven't heard anything lately about recruiting.

On another MU note though, I did hear today that Natisha Hiedeman has tested positive for Covid-19.  She and another Connecticut Sun player are in self-isolation for a bit now before joining their team in Florida where the WNBA is to play their games.  Hiedeman is in Connecticut for now - best wishes to her for her recovery.

https://www.courant.com/sports/connecticut-sun/hc-sp-connecticut-sun-update-20200713-20200712-szafn56kazcnjpcylx3tlfoece-story.html

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2020, 09:16:55 PM »
Natisha Hiedeman's recovery appears to be going well - she has been able to enter the WNBA bubble in Bradenton, Florida.  She'll have 4 days in quarantine there and can then rejoin the team provided she still tests negative for Covid-19:

https://www.courant.com/sports/connecticut-sun/hc-sp-connecticut-sun-natisha-hiedeman-20200718-20200717-xbltkhtwozbsxea2mtjtke7idu-story.html

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2020, 09:32:19 AM »
Yeah I miss her as a commentator - thought she did a good job.  I never saw Duffy's name suggested for the opening which is fine with me :).  I think it's a good hire by Duke.

Lawson filled out her staff this week. It includes Tia Jackson, who previously replaced Carolyn Kieger as a U Miami assistant under Katie Meier the past several years along with Winston Gandy who did a really good job at Rice, and is also known for his work with John Wall and Brad Beal. Beth Cunningham is also on the staff as Niele Ivey chose Carol Owens, Michaela Mabrey, (an assistant for both Katie Meier and Megan Duffy ) and Coquese Washington as her assistants at ND. Kieger of course replaced Washington at Penn State.

Nice gesture from the Boston Celtics to all wear Duke Women’s hoops shirts as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:55:37 AM by shoothoops »

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
Excited for Natisha Hiedeman to begin her 2nd WNBA season as the Connecticut Sun take on the Minnesota Lynx on ESPN at 11A central on Sunday.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »
2nd straight start for Natisha Hiedeman, 14 points, 3 assists, 2 boards, and a team best plus 34, in a lopsided win over Dallas.

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1291548821756039168?s=19

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
Interesting - just saw a tweet that former Marquette commit Shemera Williams has entered her name into the transfer portal.  She just finished her freshman year at Virginia.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2020, 01:05:24 PM »
Interesting - just saw a tweet that former Marquette commit Shemera Williams has entered her name into the transfer portal.  She just finished her freshman year at Virginia.

9 points a game, 22 minutes a game, almost all off of the bench. ACC Freshman of the week a few times with big performances v Louisville, Duke, BC.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »
Any other MU Women's BBall Season Ticket Holders out here on this board?  I usually have an invoice due by the end of August and haven't even heard anything about it yet this year.  I'm assuming it's on hold due to season uncertainty but also wondering if I missed some kind of communication about season tickets for 20-21...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2020, 05:02:44 AM »
Any other MU Women's BBall Season Ticket Holders out here on this board?  I usually have an invoice due by the end of August and haven't even heard anything about it yet this year.  I'm assuming it's on hold due to season uncertainty but also wondering if I missed some kind of communication about season tickets for 20-21...

I haven't seen anything either.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »

If there is a season with fans you get at least one marquee game with the UConn ladies on the schedule.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2020, 08:22:09 PM »
I haven't seen anything either.

Thanks for the response.  I can see not sending an invoice at this point but some sort of communication about it would have been nice even if it was just to say we're going to wait to see what's going on with the season to do bill you.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
If there is a season with fans you get at least one marquee game with the UConn ladies on the schedule.

Geno alone is entertaining - love watching his assistant Chris Dailey have to hold him back from trying to go after the refs :).

feedback