Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Well that was a waste  (Read 206307 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Well that was a waste
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
Wrong. You don't get to define this. Roughly 5x the median household income of this country is exactly what super duper rich is to at least half the country. Take your privilege somewhere else.

But you do get to define it?  Lol.

I wonder how many people would think a govt pension where you make the average of your top earning years the rest of your life is super duper rich.

Please, take your privilege elsewhere.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »
What percentage of college basketball coaches are living in NYC, LA, or SF?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »
Lol. Should we make that the case across all of society?  If you don’t drive a direct positive ROI you are eliminated.

Getting out the popcorn for this one.

NCAA isn’t the only entity, another false statement.  Play overseas.  Play in the G league.  Play at a NAIA school.  More false statements from you.

If universities are losing money on having an athletic department and will continue to lose money because players get paid for their likeness, what changes?  You argued these departments lose money.  That’s not changing either way.  If your argument is players getting paid for their likeness causes that, you’re wrong.  I guess they have an excuse now and the poor kids are going to lose out at opportunities at those places?

As for your second point, you admit there are options outside of the NCAA.  So how would kids lose other opportunities if players got paid for their likeness?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
So how would you define a person earning more than 95 percent of all American households? Slightly rich? Upper middle class? Doing OK? You're engaging in a lame semantical argument involving you personal defintions to avoid admitting the obvious ... college basketball coaching at the D1 is a pathway to riches.

And as FBM already points out, your "compressed" argument is nonsense. A guy who lands a D1 head coaching gig is pretty much guaranteed a job for the rest of his life. Look at Jerry Wainwright, for pete's sake.

Your example is to point to one guy.  Talk about a mathematical impossibility, by your suggestion every coach always hangs around until retirement....which means very little movement of any kind because the retirement rate takes so long....very little new blood as the volume of new schools isn’t growing.

Let’s use MU as an example, since you like examples.  From Mike Deane’s staff

Darin ....went into the FBI
Mike Rice....out of college coaching
Sean Rivers...a teacher in Texas
Brian Bidlingmyer...out of coaching
Bo Ellis...out of coaching
Dan Theiss...

Tell me again how they are in coaching for lifetime
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
What percentage of college basketball coaches are living in NYC, LA, or SF?

No idea.  Regardless, $300k HH income is not super duper rich.  I’d call it upper middle class in parts of the country, and rich in other parts.  “Super Duper”....puts it way over the top, and of course Gary was talking about those making millions per year, not guys making $300K. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »

It is?  Where do you get that?

I think if you looked at all the D1 head coaches from 20 years ago, the majority are either:

--Working in coaching and making at least six figures as an assistant or head coach somewhere
--Working in something basketball related (TV, AAU, etc.) making similar amounts
--Retired
--Dead

I think you are making stuff up again.

Sultan

You should look at the asst coaching salaries for schools 150 to 350 in D1....tell me how many are 6 figures. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
That’s why your Title IX argument is baseless, thank you

Nope, because as I also stated it isn’t universally the case.  MU women’s basketball a classic example.  Your problem is you use a broad brush and extrapolate upper crust of men’s basketball and make it so to all sports or even all basketball.  Guarantee you Title IX lawsuits filed in this situation.  Guaranteed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2019, 10:45:24 AM »
Darin ....went into the FBI
Mike Rice....out of college coaching
Sean Rivers...a teacher in Texas
Brian Bidlingmyer...out of coaching
Bo Ellis...out of coaching
Dan Theiss...

Among these coaches, only Ellis and Rice had D1 head coaching jobs and are relevant to my point  (and that's being generous to Chicago State).
Bo was a disaster at Chicago State but still landed a well=paying athletics gig after that in the CPS.
And let's just say there are "special circumstances" involving Mike Rice's lack of coaching opportunities that make him an outlier to this discussion. Yet despite all that, he continues to earn a living coaching basketball.
So, what was your point again?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:48:35 AM by Pakuni »

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »
No idea.  Regardless, $300k HH income is not super duper rich.  I’d call it upper middle class in parts of the country, and rich in other parts.  “Super Duper”....puts it way over the top, and of course Gary was talking about those making millions per year, not guys making $300K.

$300 large in Seattle isn't rich. Public school teachers with 20 years here make $150 and they struggle.

$300 is probably comfortable in WI but it's nothing in urban west coast. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »

Then you are as ignorant as you are privileged. And yes, your whiteness is part of that privilege, just as mine is for me.

5 times the median household income is super DUPER rich. Looking through the lens of an incredibly expensive part of the country to live in ignores the 99% of the country with a vastly lower cost of living. Have those medical expenses bankrupted you yet? Have you been evicted or forced to move because of it. Have you had to decide between a medication and food? If the answer is no, then again you need to check your privilege at the door.

For the majority of this country, $120,000+ would be considered super-DUPER-rich. It is the kind of rich that would eliminate all their debt and financial woes in a few years. Median income is around $60,000, median debt is around $137,000. In a vacuum, doubling that median income would allow those households to eliminate that debt in under 5 years. Going from underwater in debt to debt-free in 5 years is life-changing.

Sorry, you might like to think of yourself as some working class hero, some champion of the underdog, but I strongly suspect the reason you are fighting this losing battle so hard is because you are part of the super-DUPER-rich that you are claiming are somehow vastly more wealthy than you without realizing you are yourself vastly more wealthy than the majority of this country. I know, mirrors are tough to look into.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:24:52 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »
Nope, because as I also stated it isn’t universally the case.  MU women’s basketball a classic example.  Your problem is you use a broad brush and extrapolate upper crust of men’s basketball and make it so to all sports or even all basketball.  Guarantee you Title IX lawsuits filed in this situation.  Guaranteed.

And?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
Among these coaches, only Ellis and Rice had D1 head coaching jobs and are relevant to my point  (and that's being generous to Chicago State).
Bo was a disaster at Chicago State but still landed a well=paying athletics gig after that in the CPS.
And let's just say there are "special circumstances" involving Mike Rice's lack of coaching opportunities that make him an outlier to this discussion. Yet despite all that, he continues to earn a living coaching basketball.
So, what was your point again?

Mike is hardly the bread winner there, and for years couldn’t get anything.  Glad you get to decide what D1 is vs the NCAA in your evaluation of Bo’s tenure.  Was Ric Cobb not really a D1 coach either?  There are countless former D1 coaches, especially at the mid to lower levels that burned out and are doing something else...not the portrayal of they all get lined up for these 6 figure coaching gigs the rest of their life.  Some certainly do, a bunch do not.  The stress, time from family, etc and they get out.  Again, and again you are focusing on some to extrapolate to all.  Faulty.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
Then you are as ignorant as you are privileged. And yes, your whiteness is part of that privilege, just as mine is for me.

5 times the median household income is super rich. Looking through the lens of an incredibly expensive part of the country to live in ignores the 99% of the country with a vastly lower cost of living. Have those medical expenses bankrupted you yet? Have you been evicted or forced to move because of it. Have you had to decide between a medication and food? If the answer is no, then again you need to check your privilege at the door.

For the majority of this country, $120,000+ would be considered super-rich. It is the kind of rich that would eliminate all their debt and financial woes in a few years. Median income is around $60,000, median debt is around $137,000. In a vacuum, doubling that median income would allow those households to eliminate that debt in under 5 years. Going from underwater in debt to debt-free in 5 years is life-changing.

Sorry, you might like to think of yourself as some working class hero, some champion of the underdog, but I strongly suspect the reason you are fighting this losing battle so hard is because you are part of the super-rich that you are claiming are somehow vastly more wealthy than you without realizing you are yourself vastly more wealthy than the majority of this country. I know, mirrors are tough to look into.

So now it is super rich.  I was responding to super duper rich, which is what we have been talking about and what I said was absurd.

So which is it....rich...super rich (your new landing spot)....or super duper rich (Gary’s words and what I disagreed with).

Sorry, I think the term Super Duper Rich and $300K is an absolute absurd joke.  You now seem to agree since you only call it super rich.

And excuse me, where did I bring in my income anywhere in this conversation or where did I claim to be a working class hero, so stop with your nonsense.  I didn’t.  I merely said the term super duper rich was absurd when comparing against that amount of money, specifically $300k.  And I think most people would agree using that terminology and that amount don’t jive.  If it did, what on earth is the term you use for a millionaire, billionaire.  How many dupers and supers do we get from you?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
So now it is super rich.  I was responding to super duper rich, which is what we have been talking about and what I said was absurd.

So which is it....rich...super rich (your new landing spot)....or super duper rich (Gary’s words and what I disagreed with).

Sorry, I think the term Super Duper Rich and $300K is an absolute absurd joke.  You now seem to agree since you only call it super rich.

And excuse me, where did I bring in my income anywhere in this conversation or where did I claim to be a working class hero, so stop with your nonsense.  I didn’t.  I merely said the term super duper rich was absurd when comparing against that amount of money, specifically $300k.  And I think most people would agree using that terminology and that amount don’t jive.  If it did, what on earth is the term you use for a millionaire, billionaire.  How many dupers and supers do we get from you?

There is no tangible difference, but since you are being a petulant child with poor widdle bruised feelings, I added "dupers" to my previous post. Good lord you're whiny.

Super rich, super duper rich, bizarro world rich, when you make more than 5x individually what the average two-income family makes, you qualify as any of the above. Deal with it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
Mike is hardly the bread winner there, and for years couldn’t get anything.  Glad you get to decide what D1 is vs the NCAA in your evaluation of Bo’s tenure.  Was Ric Cobb not really a D1 coach either?  There are countless former D1 coaches, especially at the mid to lower levels that burned out and are doing something else...not the portrayal of they all get lined up for these 6 figure coaching gigs the rest of their life.  Some certainly do, a bunch do not.  The stress, time from family, etc and they get out.  Again, and again you are focusing on some to extrapolate to all.  Faulty.

We've reached the "Unhinged Cheeks rambles" portion of the program.
And all because you made a misleading post about D1 head coaching salaries and can't admit you made a mistake.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »
$300 large in Seattle isn't rich. Public school teachers with 20 years here make $150 and they struggle.

$300 is probably comfortable in WI but it's nothing in urban west coast.

Is it super-duper in Big Sky Country?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »
Is it super-duper in Big Sky Country?

theBabyDavid's mother grew up on a ranch in Idaho. Nothing could be more different from Seattle or San Francisco than rural Idaho.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
Rich is not defined by one’s assets, but how one lives.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
A failed writer is privileged because he is white? Imagine the f#cking hubris if he was a success...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2019, 08:20:18 PM »
There is no tangible difference, but since you are being a petulant child with poor widdle bruised feelings, I added "dupers" to my previous post. Good lord you're whiny.

Super rich, super duper rich, bizarro world rich, when you make more than 5x individually what the average two-income family makes, you qualify as any of the above. Deal with it.

Curious, what the heck are you talking about?  What is there to deal with?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2019, 08:31:01 PM »
A failed writer is privileged because he is white? Imagine the f#cking hubris if he was a success...

Brew might as well have called cheeks a racist too. White privilege is the new conversation stopper when ya run out of smart stuff. Pretty weak brew
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
Fookin' tired of this white privilege bullchit. Everyone comes out of someone's vagina. Then, it's on you as to how the final chapter is written. Quit looking for a handout.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
Fookin' tired of this white privilege bullchit. Everyone comes out of someone's vagina. Then, it's on you as to how the final chapter is written. Quit looking for a handout.

But that’s not really the case though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2019, 08:38:08 PM »
Brew might as well have called cheeks a racist too. White privilege is the new conversation stopper when ya run out of smart stuff. Pretty weak brew

I don’t think he said white privilege. (Correct me if I’m wrong.) He simply said that his privilege was biasing his view.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
I don’t think he said white privilege. (Correct me if I’m wrong.) He simply said that his privilege was biasing his view.

Ohh..kay swing and a ...
don't...don't don't don't don't