[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"  (Read 35293 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2019, 03:35:06 PM »
The great injustice has been undone.  All hail.  "BUT BUT the NCAA was just screwing over Rich Paul and a certain segment of society!!"......well I guess that canard is no longer available.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2019, 03:45:14 PM »
The great injustice has been undone.  All hail.  "BUT BUT the NCAA was just screwing over Rich Paul and a certain segment of society!!"......well I guess that canard is no longer available.

Yeah I'm sure they thought they did nothing wrong they just felt like reversing it less than a week after they created the dumb rule for the fun of it...

They literally admitted the rule was as dumb and unnecessary as possible.  Yet here is chicos STILL trying to play the persecuted rich white male.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
People just love to pile on the NCaA and their bootlickers apparently.  Half the time they have no idea what they are even talking about.  Loved the NCAA response, and considering a friend of mine is in their media relations dept it made me smile even more.

Thoughts and prayers for your friend today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
I think we can all sleep better now knowing Rich Paul will be able to continue to feed his children. Who knows, maybe there will be a little left over so that there are some presents under the Christmas tree this year. One can only hope so. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
I think we can all sleep better now knowing Rich Paul will be able to continue to feed his children. Who knows, maybe there will be a little left over so that there are some presents under the Christmas tree this year. One can only hope so.

"Ehh, the guy makes enough money as it is so let's take away some opportunity from him to gain new business for no good reason at all.  And take away opportunities for young kids to work with the best in the business."

The beauty of America baby.

I love that people are still trying to defend this.  The NCAA reversed their new (incredibly stupid) rule within 1 week of creating it yet people are still saying the only reason people are complaining is because people need to complain about everything the NCAA does.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:57:22 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
A rule change within one week?  Guess that rule was as good as (Marquette) Gold.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »
I love that people are still trying to defend this.  The NCAA reversed their new (incredibly stupid) rule within 1 week of creating it yet people are still saying the only reason people are complaining is because people need to complain about everything the NCAA does.
I love that people care so much about a rule that impacts maybe 5 sports agents in the US.

I'm guessing the rule was a bad rule since they changed it so quickly. You seem very passionate about this issue so I congratulate you for being on the right side of the argument.

So, what now? Has your lot in life changed? Have the fortunes on MU basketball been improved? Will college basketball fans see a better product on the floor?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2019, 04:45:05 PM »
I love that people care so much about a rule that impacts maybe 5 sports agents in the US.

I'm guessing the rule was a bad rule since they changed it so quickly. You seem very passionate about this issue so I congratulate you for being on the right side of the argument.

So, what now? Has your lot in life changed? Have the fortunes on MU basketball been improved? Will college basketball fans see a better product on the floor?

You're on a college basketball fan forum complaining that people care too much about things that don't directly impact their life?
Hmmm.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2019, 04:48:27 PM »
A rule change within one week?  Guess that rule was as good as (Marquette) Gold.

Nicely done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »

For a guy who doesn’t care a lot about this issue, you sure are posting a lot in this topic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
Yeah.  The NCAA ends up with egg on their face after a decision.

Some more breaking news, the Pope is Catholic.

Actually, he is a Jesuit.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
Actually, he is a Jesuit.

That's like someone saying you're a Marquette grad and you respond "no I'm a [insert which college within MU] grad"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2019, 06:56:03 PM »
That's like someone saying you're a Marquette grad and you respond "no I'm a [insert which college within MU] grad"

It's a joke young lad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2019, 10:34:31 AM »
It's a joke young lad.

Gotcha sorry for not giving you more credit. Sadly in these times you never know
Maigh Eo for Sam

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »
For a guy who doesn’t care a lot about this issue, you sure are posting a lot in this topic.
I have posted too much, but not directly on the topic but on the response to it. I'm confused by those on this board and in the media who are apparently outraged by the NCAA rule.

The rule has/had an impact on a ridiculously small number of people in the country. My guess is that if LeBron's name was not associated with it, the topic would have no media coverage and zero posts on MUScoop.

I have read and commented on other NCAA related topics on this board in the past. I've enjoyed reading other's positions on a variety of  issues like paying players that would have meaningful impacts on MU and the sport as a whole. IMO this topic is way too insignificant for national media articles and internet post on the evils of the NCAA.

Just my opinion and I'll refrain from comment going forward.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
I have posted too much, but not directly on the topic but on the response to it. I'm confused by those on this board and in the media who are apparently outraged by the NCAA rule.

For the record, not sure how many Scoopers were "outraged" by the rule. I sure wasn't.

It was silly, unnecessary, self-righteous and self-serving, and that made it a legit topic of conversation and derision. That it was deemed a failure in a week's time made it only more silly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »

silly, unnecessary, self-righteous and self-serving, and that made it a legit topic of conversation and derision.
The rule or your stalker?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
The rule or your stalker?

I can't possible know who you mean.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
Me neither. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2019, 07:41:51 AM »
Good op-ed in the Charlotte Observer about the NCAA choosing to ignore recommendations by the Rice Commission and its own academic working group to hold member schools responsible for UNC-style academic fraud.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article233784092.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Mississippi State goes on probation because a tutor did school work for 10 football players and a basketball player.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27447524/ncaa-places-miss-state-3-years-probation

I don't understand how NCAA can mete out this punishment. Some have contended that academic issues are "beyond the NCAA's jurisdiction" and that's why UNC, which had 100x worse academic fraud, couldn't be punished.

Not being snarky at all here. Seriously trying to understand the difference.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
Mississippi State goes on probation because a tutor did school work for 10 football players and a basketball player.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27447524/ncaa-places-miss-state-3-years-probation

I don't understand how NCAA can mete out this punishment. Some have contended that academic issues are "beyond the NCAA's jurisdiction" and that's why UNC, which had 100x worse academic fraud, couldn't be punished.

Well first it was negotiated. Second it was a benefit offered solely to student athletes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2019, 09:28:19 PM »
Well first it was negotiated. Second it was a benefit offered solely to student athletes.

Thanks.

After creating fake classes specifically to funnel its athletes into, UNC did a nice job covering its arse by also letting non-athletes take the fake classes.

And yes, I see now it was a negotiated punishment. Apparently Mississippi State's administrators are more ethical than UNC? Amazing.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2019, 09:41:51 PM »

Is this the big news promised by the NCAA (and Cheeks) to be meted out by the Fall Equinox? Tick tock.

Meanwhile, Rosemary Woods is busy deleting those wiretap recordings. Auburn BB got less/"self-imposed" with a criminal conviction. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »

If you aren’t being snarky then you are straight being a dolt.  You are smarter than this and know the difference between the two.

In terms of how much worse, is there a measurement tool you use? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire