'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"  (Read 35311 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2019, 03:25:14 PM »
No worries. I was honestly trying to see how these changes are in any way harmful to the athlete. I honestly can't see any way they are. I also find them the most beneficial to the athlete of any NCAA agent/advisor rules.

I enjoyed the discussion. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Thanks! Appreciate the back-and-forth.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
Rumor has it Marquette is a member of the association and a member.  Feel free to play the alumni card, refuse to donate, picket, whatever is appropriate so this grave injustice of requiring a college degree for this certification is overturned.

Thanks. You have offered this advice before.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
I have to say, in general, discussing the NCAA's requirements for agents of potential/future NBA players feels like discussing the tax rules for luxury yachts. While there may be merritts behind agreeing or disagreeing with the NCAA's or IRS's positions, it's really of no consequence to everyone on this board or most everyone in this county.

MU Rah Rah!!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
I have to say, in general, discussing the NCAA's requirements for agents of potential/future NBA players feels like discussing the tax rules for luxury yachts. While there may be merritts behind agreeing or disagreeing with the NCAA's or IRS's positions, it's really of no consequence to everyone on this board or most everyone in this county.

MU Rah Rah!!

That kind of attitude will never help us finally determine who is ‘right’.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »

Let them all earn outside income.
they really would need to hire an agent for this

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
Well the POTUS has a degree....
Arby's!!!
Goal is National Championship

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Well the POTUS has a degree....
Arby's!!!

Politics
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2019, 09:45:52 PM »
That kind of attitude will never help us finally determine who is ‘right’.
LOL! My bad.

jesmu84

• All American
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:23:55 PM by jesmu84 »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/rich-paul-finally-claps-back-at-the-ncaa-over-their-pathetic-rich-paul-rule

Also, check out Rich Paul's article in The Athletic
I am neither in favor of or opposed to the NCAA's new requirements because they do not effect me or anyone I care about or any portion of my life and it is not a social justice issue.

That said, that op-ed article above is garbage and any point the author was trying to make was lost in the juvenile rhetoric and misplaced angst.

Perhaps someone will present a factual, well researched and intellectually honest opinion (and without name calling) on the topic that will sway my opinion someday.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »
NCAA reverses course, won't require a degree for agents.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-amends-agent-certification-requirements

So, does this mean the NCAA no longer cares about protecting athletes ... since that (wink wink) was the real reason for this rule?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
Hey Wade, the race card has been played. See above.

Did you read Rich Paul's op-ed? At no point does he do anything close to play the race card.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2019, 01:31:29 PM »
That said, that op-ed article above is garbage and any point the author was trying to make was lost in the juvenile rhetoric and misplaced angst.

It's Barstool.  I have no idea why anyone with any sense reads them or links to them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-amends-agent-certification-requirements

So, does this mean the NCAA no longer cares about protecting athletes ... since that (wink wink) was the real reason for this rule?

Hilarious.  Clearly they didn't understand the NBPA's entire process and stepped on a rake yet again.  This is exactly what they should have done to start with.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »

But it wasn't a terrible rule and the people complaining about it just want to complain about anything the NCAA does and doesn't want athletes to get paid...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
But it wasn't a terrible rule and the people complaining about it just want to complain about anything the NCAA does and doesn't want athletes to get paid...

It was a terrible rule, and context matters. At a time when the NCAA should be doing all it can to make the college route accessible and appealing to the best young athletes out there, it's bungling its way through unnecessary rules changes to make college less appealing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »
It was a terrible rule, and context matters. At a time when the NCAA should be doing all it can to make the college route accessible and appealing to the best young athletes out there, it's bungling its way through unnecessary rules changes to make college less appealing.

Death to the NCAA
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

Agreed.  My comment was tongue in cheek.  A few people here were saying that people didn't even look at what the rule was there was just outrage to be outraged at the NCAA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2019, 02:15:56 PM »
Did you read Rich Paul's op-ed? At no point does he do anything close to play the race card.
"See above" referred to the Barstool article (the link in the quoted section), not Rich Paul's op-ed (to which I have not seen a link). I did not make that clear.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:19:15 PM by WhiteTrash »

MUDPT

• All American

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
Agreed.  My comment was tongue in cheek.  A few people here were saying that people didn't even look at what the rule was there was just outrage to be outraged at the NCAA.

So it makes it ok to just rail against the few?  Really it is a dumb rule — they doubled down with some holier than though stuff about college education — then folded within the week.  Both calling into question their initial motivation, the extent that it was truly well thought out and finally their commitment to their grandiose principles.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
So it makes it ok to just rail against the few?  Really it is a dumb rule — they doubled down with some holier than though stuff about college education — then folded within the week.  Both calling into question their initial motivation, the extent that it was truly well thought out and finally their commitment to their grandiose principles.

Yeah.  The NCAA ends up with egg on their face after a decision.

Some more breaking news, the Pope is Catholic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »

Absolutely hilarious. Total capitulation. As Bugs Bunny woulda said, "What a bunch of maroons."

Especially love this:

According to a news release, the NCAA made the change after having "been made aware of several current agents who have appropriately represented former student-athletes in their professional quest" and were granted waivers of the NBPA's bachelor's degree requirement.

In other words, if anybody with even the experience of an intern had done the tiniest bit of homework -- or if NCAA muckety-mucks weren't totally about trying to make a statement about control -- they never would have even tried to enact a rule they'd have to back down on within days.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:54:13 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback