[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"  (Read 35567 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »

The problem isn't just the "hideous actions of a small percentage of priests," it's how the nstitution systematically covered it up.  And how that cover up has lead people to distrust the Church and completely overshaddow the genuine good it has done.

So in many ways this is a perfect analogy to the NCAA.  An institution that can't get out of its own way and overvalues its process and rules.

Winner Winner

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
This. Exactly.

Absurd.  Patently absurd.  There is nothing even remotely comparable. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:57 PM »
It's still a terrible analogy. The two are not similar in significant respects.

There was a statement that the NCAA's purpose is to enrich its members. That is false. It is an opinion of some people, but it is not a statement of fact.

Similarly the Catholic Church analogy is horrendous. The NCAA isn't covering anything up. They may do a piss poor job of investigation/enforcement, but that is more because they have little to no actual legal recourse.

Several on here are going to absurd arguments because of an implicit bias against the NCAA. It's fine to hate the NCAA, but no one is helping their stance when they make absurd claims.

100% in agreement
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »

So how can it be false if it's an opinion?  There is no certain truth that it's primary purpose isn't to enrich its members.  (And yes the Catholic Church analogy is very much a stretch - one that White Trash and Cheeks brought up to actually defend in the NCAA.  Which is someone laughtable.)

Excuse me......I didn’t bring it up....I responded to someone who did to show how people here continue to paint with a massive broad brush.

That didn’t stop others from saying ncaa = Catholic Church

Patently absurd comparison.   Just as the Walmart example is tremendously weak. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »
Winner Winner

The irony is about as delicious as one can get