[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"  (Read 35578 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: New NCAA policy regarding agents & "testing the waters"
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »
"client athletes" is an interesting term for the NCAA to choose

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 09:02:13 PM »
The NBPA already certifies agents. It isn’t really necessary for the NCAA to do this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Kentucky grad and terrible writer opines...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
Both articles are opinion pieces, nothing else. Little intelectual work was done writing both.  Bashing the NCAA is easy click baiting.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 10:30:50 PM »
Here I thought we wanted kids to get an education and degree.  The certification requires one.  Too bad.  Just as most schools require coaches to have a degree.  Too bad.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 10:42:51 PM »
Here I thought we wanted kids to get an education and degree.  The certification requires one.  Too bad.  Just as most schools require coaches to have a degree.  Too bad.

So why allow kids to leave college before they have a degree?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 10:45:27 PM »

Well, that isn't up to colleges. I'm sure they would love a rule requiring kids to stay 4 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 11:06:16 PM »
Well, that isn't up to colleges. I'm sure they would love a rule requiring kids to stay 4 years.
I don't believe it was a serious question. Guessing the teal was missing.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 11:19:36 PM »

Because the NBA doesn’t require a degree.  The NCAA does.  Different rules for different orgs, part of life.  Some companies allow drinking on the job, some require drug tests, some don’t allow jeans, etc, etc, etc.  NCAA said these are the rules. Tough titties.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 03:26:54 AM »
Forest. Trees.

But ok.

Hopefully this measures up to your standards

https://sports.yahoo.com/nca-as-rich-paul-rule-shows-its-contempt-for-basketball-players-025307241.html
“People start businesses doomed to fail. They get married and divorced. They add Rutgers to their conference.”

This is internet-winning stuff!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:22:05 AM »
Because the NBA doesn’t require a degree.  The NCAA does.  Different rules for different orgs, part of life.  Some companies allow drinking on the job, some require drug tests, some don’t allow jeans, etc, etc, etc.  NCAA said these are the rules. Tough titties.

Every single person that works with the NCAA is required a degree? I hope truck drivers or people putting the NCAA Tournament floors together etc. all enjoyed paying for 4+ years of college to work in the field they do.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:23:53 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »
The Rich Paul rule.  Death to the NCAA
I am pretty Rich Paul and Lebron can just buy a college, literally, and get Rich his degree.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:21:14 AM »
I am pretty Rich Paul and Lebron can just buy a college, literally, and get Rich his degree.

It’s not a bad idea for Rich Paul and LeBron to start a developmental system that bypasses high school and college for kids that want to play basketball.  Follow the European model of clubs
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
Wow look. Cheeks is a lapdog for the NCAA yet again. I am so shocked.

There is really no reason for an agent to have a degree. Nothing turns your product more meaningless than to require it when it isn’t necessary.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 08:41:07 AM »
Wow look. Cheeks is a lapdog for the NCAA yet again. I am so shocked.

There is really no reason for an agent to have a degree. Nothing turns your product more meaningless than to require it when it isn’t necessary.

Why do schools demand coaches have a degree?  It isn’t necessary either, at least to be able to draw up x’s and o’s. 

Don’t like it, be an agent somewhere else.  Play somewhere else.  It boggles my mind that people get upset that that association and their members have the legal right to make their own rules.  Complain all you wish, requiring the agent has a degree is not an onerous ask.  Has anyone thought that perhaps the NCAA is trying to make sure some slapdick who has no legal, financial, or other positive skills that CAN be learned in the process of a degree may be of a benefit to the student athlete?  The fact is there are many unscrupulous agents out there, and putting some requirements behind them isn’t the end of the world.

Think about it as regulations and govt oversight ...... from what I understand from some of you this is exactly what we need more of.....protections against evil people doing others wrong.  More Regs!  More regs!  More regs!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 08:44:25 AM »
Every single person that works with the NCAA is required a degree? I hope truck drivers or people putting the NCAA Tournament floors together etc. all enjoyed paying for 4+ years of college to work in the field they do.

Every administrative position at the NCAA requires a degree. Yes.  Your truck driving example is odd.  To become a truck driver you must pass whatever state requirements or certifications for a license....in other words, the rules or requirements set out by a governing body.  If the state wants to require 4 year degrees for truck drivers, that is up to them.  If the NCAA wants to require agents have a college degree and certification with the NBA, that is up to them.  Straightforward and simple.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Why do schools demand coaches have a degree?  It isn’t necessary either, at least to be able to draw up x’s and o’s. 

Don’t like it, be an agent somewhere else.  Play somewhere else.  It boggles my mind that people get upset that that association and their members have the legal right to make their own rules.  Complain all you wish, requiring the agent has a degree is not an onerous ask.  Has anyone thought that perhaps the NCAA is trying to make sure some slapdick who has no legal, financial, or other positive skills that CAN be learned in the process of a degree may be of a benefit to the student athlete?  The fact is there are many unscrupulous agents out there, and putting some requirements behind them isn’t the end of the world.

No one is arguing the NCAA doesn't have a right to do it.  So stop slapping together that strawman.  People are suggesting that the NCAA process is unnecessarily complicated and has ulterior motives.

The fact is the NBPA has a pretty thorough process already for certifying agents.  Why can't the NCAA simply use that process and require that a NBPA certified agent take some sort of online workshop to make them aware of the NCAAs rules and process (instead of an in-person test)? 

Because they want to continue to exert control even when it is not necessary to do so. It's an organization that is flailing around trying to retain its influence, but instead looks foolish at every turn.

Think about it as regulations and govt oversight ...... from what I understand from some of you this is exactly what we need more of.....protections against evil people doing others wrong.  More Regs!  More regs!  More regs!

WTF does this even mean?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
Every administrative position at the NCAA requires a degree. Yes.  Your truck driving example is odd.  To become a truck driver you must pass whatever state requirements or certifications for a license....in other words, the rules or requirements set out by a governing body.  If the state wants to require 4 year degrees for truck drivers, that is up to them.  If the NCAA wants to require agents have a college degree and certification with the NBA, that is up to them.  Straightforward and simple.

So the agents are now NCAA administrative employees?  These agents will be on the NCAA books and thus free of charge to the kids?  That's big time news to me and explains it all.  That's great then.  Makes much more sense now that I know this nugget of information.

It's straightforward and simple...and really stupid and more reasons for kids who would otherwise go play college basketball to look at other options.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 09:11:20 AM »
Every administrative position at the NCAA requires a degree. Yes.  Your truck driving example is odd. To become a truck driver you must pass whatever state requirements or certifications for a license....in other words, the rules or requirements set out by a governing body.  If the state wants to require 4 year degrees for truck drivers, that is up to them.  If the NCAA wants to require agents have a college degree and certification with the NBA, that is up to them.  Straightforward and simple.

If you can accept the truck drivers state certification, then why not accept the fact they are certified by the NBAPA?  I can see having them pass a NCAA rules test but requiring a bachelor's degree is ridiculous. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
If you can accept the truck drivers state certification, then why not accept the fact they are certified by the NBAPA?  I can see having them pass a NCAA rules test but requiring a bachelor's degree is ridiculous.

If you can accept that a governing body sets the rules for truck driving license, why can't you accept the fact that another governing body (the NCAA) can set the rules for agent criteria?

Happy to play this game all day if you wish. They have the option to set their rules.  These are the rules they have set.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 09:22:11 AM »

No one is arguing the NCAA doesn't have a right to do it.  So stop slapping together that strawman.  People are suggesting that the NCAA process is unnecessarily complicated and has ulterior motives.

The fact is the NBPA has a pretty thorough process already for certifying agents.  Why can't the NCAA simply use that process and require that a NBPA certified agent take some sort of online workshop to make them aware of the NCAAs rules and process (instead of an in-person test)? 

Because they want to continue to exert control even when it is not necessary to do so. It's an organization that is flailing around trying to retain its influence, but instead looks foolish at every turn.

And nefarious people also want to break down the NCAA for financial personal gains, too.  Of course that often doesn't seem to be looked at, it is usually the evil NCAA.  Preventing the 0.5% from getting their just dues and entitlements.

And why WOULDN'T the NCAA want to establish THEIR rules in this?  These are COLLEGE student athletes, not NBA players.  Simply using the NBA criteria might be great for the NBA.  If Lebron is upset, he and others can vote to change the CBA and allow these kids to go STRAIGHT to the NBA.  What's stopping them?  Go for it.  Get these guys out of the NCAA and if they want to roll the dice and go to the NBA, God bless them and go for it.  That way they can be under the guidance of the NBA agent rules.  Until then, they are NCAA players and NCAA rules will apply.  Simple.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:30:20 AM by Cheeks »