[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Espn  (Read 8453 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Espn
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
Might it also be that Sam’s solid, steady, but not aggressive or risky approach to defense was a key in the overall quality and consistency of last year’s defense? Perhaps guys who try to generate turnovers might be more likely to miss, allowing players to get past them and, ultimately, put more pressure on our interior defense. While Theo is solid, he does have a propensity to foul. I’m not sure which way it will go, but either your outlook or that I describe seem possible.

Agreed, but that's why having Jayce to rotate in as a shot blocker/rebounder helps with erasing mistakes if Theo gets into foul trouble, and it seems like the plan is to have Ed/Brendan as rangy/bouncy 4's that can block shots from the weak side too. It lets the wings extend pressure a bit more and take chances with a security blanket rather than have everyone play contain

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
I think an underrated aspect (nationally anyway) of this squad is the defensive upside. The DeFG% last year was excellent (#18); adding height, athleticism, and experience to the equation should put us squarely in the top 10 there. Meaning we should be in most games to the end, where a guy like Markus can generate buckets to put us over the top.

The real upside comes from replacing Sam (solid/above average positional defender) and Joey (bad all around defender) who did not generate turnovers with minutes from guys like Greg/Koby and Jamal/Brendan/Sacar who have more of a propensity to turn over the opposition. Those two things could take us from a top 50 DRtg to a top 10/15. I'd says that's almost more likely to happen than not.

I agree with what you say here, but I don't get why you think Sacar is going to replace minutes from Sam or Joey. Sacar averaged over 30 minutes per game last year and he will do so again this year, but those will not be minutes that replace what we lost.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:07 PM »
Agreed, but that's why having Jayce to rotate in as a shot blocker/rebounder helps with erasing mistakes if Theo gets into foul trouble, and it seems like the plan is to have Ed/Brendan as rangy/bouncy 4's that can block shots from the weak side too. It lets the wings extend pressure a bit more and take chances with a security blanket rather than have everyone play contain
I've asked this before, but has Ed ever shown the skills to defend beyond 8 feet from the basket?  I'll be happy if proven wrong, but I just can't see him going out to defend a stretch 4, and if he does venture out I don't see him being able to defend a drive. 

Further, he had shown absolutely no range on offense, so it just seems he with either be standing outside completely unguarded while his defender sags to help a la Derrick Wilson, or he'll be clogging the middle and making it difficult for Markus, Sacar, etc to slash to the basket.

It doesn't seem to me like spacing will work at either end.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.