* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Its DJOver
[Today at 08:47:05 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187489 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1125 on: December 19, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
Am I crazy or did I hear that if you work at a Jesuit school tuition is free at all of them? Or at least at a huge discount?

it is free, but there has to be an exchange - so if someone's kid wants to go from MU to BC someone's kid at BC has to be coming from BC to MU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1126 on: December 19, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »
How many slots u open up bro?

why limited?  ya gotta take what ya can get when it becomes available man  bang that slot like a screen door in a hurricane
don't...don't don't don't don't

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #1127 on: December 20, 2019, 01:57:11 AM »
it is free, but there has to be an exchange - so if someone's kid wants to go from MU to BC someone's kid at BC has to be coming from BC to MU.

When did BC start participating? When I took advantage of this back in the late 90s Bc and Grown didn't participate but the rest of the Jesuit schools did. You could get a scholarship to bc but no free ride. Rest of the schools fair game.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1128 on: December 20, 2019, 11:52:35 AM »
When did BC start participating? When I took advantage of this back in the late 90s Bc and Grown didn't participate but the rest of the Jesuit schools did. You could get a scholarship to bc but no free ride. Rest of the schools fair game.

I don't know, but in the early 2000's when I was helping kids with the process BC had been the top choice for exchange, until the Final Four run. Then, as a local alumni club president for MU, I was getting a lot of calls from people whose kids wanted to go to MU through the program but MU had a lengthy waitlist for it due to the popularity and thought I had some sort of influence (I didn't).

I would have figured schools like LMU and Santa Clara would have been the popular choices for kids from the Midwest. Though I'm sure not many kids from there wanted to experience Wisconsin winters!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: December 20, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

Common misconception. Schools set their own numbers (or ranges) and offer as they see fit. It's often extremely tough to get it as a student.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: January 04, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »
People who don't know crap about Marquette basketball, but insist on sitting directly behind me at the Fiserv and talk nonstop, forcing me to listen to 2 hours of absolute bullish!t.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: January 04, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »
People who don't know crap about Marquette basketball, but insist on sitting directly behind me at the Fiserv and talk nonstop, forcing me to listen to 2 hours of absolute bullish!t.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses sits behind you? That sucks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1132 on: January 04, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »

Post of the day
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1133 on: January 04, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »

Not only that, but apparently PGsHeroes is sitting a few seats over screaming at the players from the upper bowl.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: January 04, 2020, 03:43:52 PM »
Fiserv also hates belts.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: January 04, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »

LOL!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: January 04, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
Speaking of annoying fan behavior, I will NEVER understand the people who wear random sports apparel of teams not playing to a sporting event.  Today, around me at Fiserv, I saw a Minnesota sweatshirt, a Badger fleece, a Louisville basketball jersey, a Northwestern t shirt, and a Xavier shirt.  Its so bizarre. 

I feel like NHL games have a ton, cause hockey sweaters look dumb in normal outside life, so people want any excuse to wear them, so even if its a Blackhawks-Stars game, might as well toss on that Red Wings sweater.  And maybe an element of "hockey people" being a smaller niche, but still bizarre.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Speaking of annoying fan behavior, I will NEVER understand the people who wear random sports apparel of teams not playing to a sporting event.  Today, around me at Fiserv, I saw a Minnesota sweatshirt, a Badger fleece, a Louisville basketball jersey, a Northwestern t shirt, and a Xavier shirt.  Its so bizarre. 

I feel like NHL games have a ton, cause hockey sweaters look dumb in normal outside life, so people want any excuse to wear them, so even if its a Blackhawks-Stars game, might as well toss on that Red Wings sweater.  And maybe an element of "hockey people" being a smaller niche, but still bizarre.

This! Except I could at least understand the Xavier one
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1138 on: January 04, 2020, 07:43:47 PM »

Lol

Excellent
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1139 on: January 05, 2020, 09:34:15 PM »

I had three Nova fans sitting behind me, an alum who now lives in Wisconsin and his two grown sons. About 8 minutes into the game, I stood during the TV timeout and one of the sons said to me, "That Howard is one hell of a player. You are lucky to have him." About 6-7 minutes later, the dad said, "I love this building."

Sounds like these Nova fans knew more about MU hoops than the people who sat behind you, chickadee!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: January 05, 2020, 10:55:58 PM »
I had three Nova fans sitting behind me, an alum who now lives in Wisconsin and his two grown sons. About 8 minutes into the game, I stood during the TV timeout and one of the sons said to me, "That Howard is one hell of a player. You are lucky to have him." About 6-7 minutes later, the dad said, "I love this building."

Sounds like these Nova fans knew more about MU hoops than the people who sat behind you, chickadee!

See, those are the kind of interactions that make you enjoy and respect a fan base.

Not the SJU season ticket holders behind me at Carnesecca last year who said Sam was “barely a BEast player”, Theo had “popcorn muscles without defensive skills”, and that Markus was a “selfish chucker with a low BBall IQ who wishes he was half the player Ponds is. Which is why Ponds is an obvious NBA talent and Howard isn’t anywhere close”. And these dudes were regulars known by all the ushers. Would bet they still felt Marquette didn’t belong in the BE.

Or better, the father and son Purdue alumni duo behind us at Fiserv this year who yelled “woo” after any Purdue make, said “nice shot buddy” if MU missed, and loudly declared Markus “would be a nobody if he played in a conference like the Big Ten”. I lost my temper and told them to STFU late in the first and apologized to the older woman seated in front of me. She turned around and said “oh it’s fine, we were all thinking it”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:21 PM »
See, those are the kind of interactions that make you enjoy and respect a fan base.

Not the SJU season ticket holders behind me at Carnesecca last year who said Sam was “barely a BEast player”, Theo had “popcorn muscles without defensive skills”, and that Markus was a “selfish chucker with a low BBall IQ who wishes he was half the player Ponds is. Which is why Ponds is an obvious NBA talent and Howard isn’t anywhere close”. And these dudes were regulars known by all the ushers. Would bet they still felt Marquette didn’t belong in the BE.

Or better, the father and son Purdue alumni duo behind us at Fiserv this year who yelled “woo” after any Purdue make, said “nice shot buddy” if MU missed, and loudly declared Markus “would be a nobody if he played in a conference like the Big Ten”. I lost my temper and told them to STFU late in the first and apologized to the older woman seated in front of me. She turned around and said “oh it’s fine, we were all thinking it”

Love that woman's reaction!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: January 06, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »
Or better, the father and son Purdue alumni duo behind us at Fiserv this year who yelled “woo” after any Purdue make, said “nice shot buddy” if MU missed, and loudly declared Markus “would be a nobody if he played in a conference like the Big Ten”. I lost my temper and told them to STFU late in the first.....

Too quick on the trigger. 

Did Al ever say something like "if you can't pour salt into the wound, don't take a cut at the other guy."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: January 06, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »

Curious how the Purdue fans reacted as the game progressed.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: January 06, 2020, 04:11:22 PM »

Strange thing to care about what other people are wearing.  I'm old enough to remember going to games and not wearing team apparel at all, just wearing whatever you pulled out of your drawer or closet.  It is different now.  I am trying to get to all the MLB ballparks and I'm a Red Sox fan and I may very well wear a Red Sox shirt while watching a game in an NL Park, because that is what I own.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: January 06, 2020, 04:15:42 PM »

I only see MU in road games, and I always strike up a conversation with the home fans around me and basically always enjoy myself and cheer for Marquette and trade good-natured barbs and the like.  Just a habit of mine.  You get some interesting takes on the other team and find fans ask me lots of questions.  Always enjoy myself.  My wife, son and I were sitting in the middle of a bunch of Seton Hall fans during that miserable BET game last year with no real animosity either way.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1146 on: January 06, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »
Strange thing to care about what other people are wearing.  I'm old enough to remember going to games and not wearing team apparel at all, just wearing whatever you pulled out of your drawer or closet.  It is different now.  I am trying to get to all the MLB ballparks and I'm a Red Sox fan and I may very well wear a Red Sox shirt while watching a game in an NL Park, because that is what I own.

A couple of weeks ago, I was showing my son this video of the Majik-man replay game versus the Bears.  Starting at about 4:25, they have some shots of the crowd, and you could hardly see any Packer gear.  Maybe a hat, but that's about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf21NB4bdRw

Oh and I think wearing your team's jersey at another baseball game is fine.  You see that a lot with baseball, but not usually other sports.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: January 06, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
Concert etiquette requires the opposite of game etiquette.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1148 on: January 06, 2020, 09:33:25 PM »

How about the sport they’re watching in general? I was at a MLS match and the guy behind me was trying to explain soccer to his wife/GF by comparing it to American football. Apparently, attacking wingers were like wide receivers, center backs were like linebackers, the 9 was the quarterback. It was painful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:31 PM »
I only see MU in road games, and I always strike up a conversation with the home fans around me and basically always enjoy myself and cheer for Marquette and trade good-natured barbs and the like.  Just a habit of mine.  You get some interesting takes on the other team and find fans ask me lots of questions.  Always enjoy myself.  My wife, son and I were sitting in the middle of a bunch of Seton Hall fans during that miserable BET game last year with no real animosity either way.

Good stuff, CTW.