[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187693 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #1025 on: December 11, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
That's because Brut & Rose are the only dry ciders we have in core. Apple is a semi-dry cider at 8g where Strongbow Dry is 10g. Most people don't know what cider categories are.

Seattle, Austin, Stem, Two Towns, et all have better cider. It's just the vast majority of people only know A.O., Crispin, Strongbow, Woodchuck and other sugar bombs.

Seattle Cider is really good.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: December 11, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
I keep a stash of the Claw for female visitors, which of course are many.

This past weekend they enjoyed Vodka Claws - white claw with a shot(s) of vodka added in,  served with Sour Patch Kids twists to be used as a straw.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: December 11, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »
The carbs come from the alcohol, i.e. if you’re drinking low-carb whatever, that simply means it has less alcohol.  Save yourself a few bucks and just ask the bartender to water down your drink next time.

This is completely, 100% wrong.  Pure alcohol has no carbs.  Zero.  That's why people who are avoiding carbs tend to drink hard liquor--either straight or with low-carb/no-carb mixers.  Some spirits have sugar and get carbs from that...but it's the sugar that brings the carbs, not the alcohol.

The carbs in beer and wine come from sugars and/or grains--not the alcohol.  So it is true that to get low carb versions of these, they are (or at least taste) watered down.  That's why White Claw is so popular with people who are avoiding/limiting carbs.  It's billed as a cold, refreshing alcoholic drink that is low carb...an alternative to watered-down beer. Unfortunately, I don't like it.  I'll stick with carb-free whisky.  Or, I'll put a shot of vodka into a LaCroix and see how that tastes.

Whiteclaw is essentially club soda with a splash of vodka and a drop of flavor extract.  Yet people are paying 8, 9, 10 dollars for this stuff?!?  Yeesh.

White Claw is $15 for a 12-pack here.  Slightly more expensive than cheap domestic beers, but hardly out of line with other beverages.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 12:58:44 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1028 on: December 12, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »
I keep a stash of the Claw for female visitors, which of course are many.

This past weekend they enjoyed Vodka Claws - white claw with a shot(s) of vodka added in,  served with Sour Patch Kids twists to be used as a straw.

So your mom and sister like White Claw?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: December 12, 2019, 12:41:33 PM »
So your mom and sister like White Claw?

Ain't no incest laws when you're drinking Claws

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: December 12, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »
This is completely, 100% wrong.  Pure alcohol has no carbs.  Zero.  That's why people who are avoiding carbs tend to drink hard liquor--either straight or with low-carb/no-carb mixers.  Some spirits have sugar and get carbs from that...but it's the sugar that brings the carbs, not the alcohol.

The carbs in beer and wine come from sugars and/or grains--not the alcohol.  So it is true that to get low carb versions of these, they are (or at least taste) watered down.  That's why White Claw is so popular with people who are avoiding/limiting carbs.  It's billed as a cold, refreshing alcoholic drink that is low carb...an alternative to watered-down beer. Unfortunately, I don't like it.  I'll stick with carb-free whisky.  Or, I'll put a shot of vodka into a LaCroix and see how that tastes.

White Claw is $15 for a 12-pack here.  Slightly more expensive than cheap domestic beers, but hardly out of line with other beverages.

My bad... you're right: pure alcohol has zero carbs.  But it's a moot distinction for those folks who are legitimately on a low-carb diet, because alcohol is just as bad for your body - perhaps worse - than carbs. 

Aside from fat, alcohol is the most calorie-dense energy source.  And since most people haven't a clue about how keto or low-carb diets work, allow me to enlighten:  According to one of the foremost experts on low-carb diets, Gary Taubes, one of the primary benefits to a low-carb/high-fat diet is restoring your body's natural preference to burn fat as an energy source.
 Unfortunately, all these lies and myths that have been ingrained into society over the past 50 years about low-fat diets being healthy, saturated fats and cholesterol being bad, etc. all led to the over-sugaring of our food supply, and that has shifted our bodies' preference to carbs as a fuel source.  Even so, alcohol is metabolized for fuel even before both fats and sugars, so in that respect, it's worse than a carb.

Additionally, some of the detrimental effects alcohol has on the body's growth functions is actually mitigated by fructose.  In other words, metabolic function aside, for some people, alcohol + low carb may actually be worse for the body than alcohol + high-carb.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 01:08:17 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: December 12, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
When in Bend, our party did the innertube float down the Deschutes River two different days. Plenty of alcohol consumed (and a few chewables, too). The ladies in the party were really digging the Claws. I had a couple sips and happily returned to my craft beer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: December 12, 2019, 02:30:26 PM »
My bad... you're right: pure alcohol has zero carbs.  But it's a moot distinction for those folks who are legitimately on a low-carb diet, because alcohol is just as bad for your body - perhaps worse - than carbs. 

Aside from fat, alcohol is the most calorie-dense energy source.  And since most people haven't a clue about how keto or low-carb diets work, allow me to enlighten:  According to one of the foremost experts on low-carb diets, Gary Taubes, one of the primary benefits to a low-carb/high-fat diet is restoring your body's natural preference to burn fat as an energy source.
 Unfortunately, all these lies and myths that have been ingrained into society over the past 50 years about low-fat diets being healthy, saturated fats and cholesterol being bad, etc. all led to the over-sugaring of our food supply, and that has shifted our bodies' preference to carbs as a fuel source.  Even so, alcohol is metabolized for fuel even before both fats and sugars, so in that respect, it's worse than a carb.

Additionally, some of the detrimental effects alcohol has on the body's growth functions is actually mitigated by fructose.  In other words, metabolic function aside, for some people, alcohol + low carb may actually be worse for the body than alcohol + high-carb.

Thanks for all that...I guess.  I'm not sure anyone was arguing that alcohol is healthy.  But, if you're trying to avoid carbs (i.e., keto) -- and there's plenty of debate regarding whether that's a good idea or not -- it's understandable if you want to avoid carbs in your beverages too.  Otherwise, what's the point?  In my personal opinion, that's a significant reason for the popularity of White Claw.  There are a lot of people limiting carbs these days, and it's an option for them.  But overall, as you mentioned, alcohol is extremely calorie dense.  If someone is trying to address their weight, it's pretty hard to do if you're consuming a lot of alcohol...doesn't really matter if it's high carb or low carb.

I'm aware that I'll probably be risking my 'Scoop card by admitting this, but I don't drink much at all any more.  On the rare occasions that I do, I usually try to keep it low carb.  So, I don't drink much beer any more...but I really didn't drink very much beer before, either.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: December 12, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
But overall, as you mentioned, alcohol is extremely calorie dense.  If someone is trying to address their weight, it's pretty hard to do if you're consuming a lot of alcohol...doesn't really matter if it's high carb or low carb.

Not just weight, but whatever one’s goal is with low/no-carb, the alcohol itself makes the carb content irrelevant. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1034 on: December 12, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
Ain't no incest laws when you're drinking Claws

and at closing time, A na?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: December 12, 2019, 11:05:36 PM »
Why do people insist on walking in the street when the sidewalk is 10 feet away?  And I’m not even talking about when it’s snowing and the sidewalks haven’t been shoveled. Either these people have a death wish or David Gurnee on speed dial. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: December 13, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
Things I don’t get. People that park directly next to another car when there are 15 open spaces around the spot.

There are two types of car parkers:

1) Those who space a spot or two from the nearest parked car in the parking lot.

2) Those that must park directly next to the nearest parked car. These often are also people that must park closest to the door. They can be seen circling and circling for 30 minutes at a time to get that spot as opposed to parking a few more feet away. They are commonly referred to as Hawks. Perhaps they enjoy solving puzzles or wearing argyle socks too.

(if you are disabled or elderly you may drop off in front of building zero problem with that and strongly encouraged. Thee above are not these people)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:54:58 AM by shoothoops »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »
Why do people insist on walking in the street when the sidewalk is 10 feet away?  And I’m not even talking about when it’s snowing and the sidewalks haven’t been shoveled. Either these people have a death wish or David Gurnee on speed dial.

In my old neighborhood jackwagons jogged in the street at 5 a.m., win the winter, in dark clothes, on the same side as traffic, when the freaking sidewalk was RIGHT THERE.

Why? Asphalt cannot possibly be that much more forgiving on the knees than sidewalk. Why not a single reflective headband? Are they trying to make themselves easier to drill?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: December 13, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »
In my old neighborhood jackwagons jogged in the street at 5 a.m., win the winter, in dark clothes, on the same side as traffic, when the freaking sidewalk was RIGHT THERE.

Why? Asphalt cannot possibly be that much more forgiving on the knees than sidewalk. Why not a single reflective headband? Are they trying to make themselves easier to drill?

Dark clothes is horrible but other than that usually streets are plowed or at least salted to the point where there's not ice unlike sidewalks
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1039 on: December 13, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
Things I don’t get. People that park directly next to another car when there are 15 open spaces around the spot.

There are two types of car parkers:

1) Those who space a spot or two from the nearest parked car in the parking lot.

2) Those that must park directly next to the nearest parked car. These often are also people that must park closest to the door. They can be seen circling and circling for 30 minutes at a time to get that spot as opposed to parking a few more feet away. They are commonly referred to as Hawks. Perhaps they enjoy solving puzzles or wearing argyle socks too.

(if you are disabled or elderly you may drop off in front of building zero problem with that and strongly encouraged. Thee above are not these people)

3) People who insist on backing into the spot every time
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1040 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
When in Bend, our party did the innertube float down the Deschutes River two different days. Plenty of alcohol consumed (and a few chewables, too). The ladies in the party were really digging the Claws. I had a couple sips and happily returned to my craft beer.

my wife was recently diagnosed with a wheat allergy so other than stouts beer is no more. So, she's made a move to White Claw and cider when we're out. She can have them, all IPA's for me!

I'm pretty sure White Claw is just leftover Zima from during the time when I was in college but to each their own.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: December 13, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
Dark clothes is horrible but other than that usually streets are plowed or at least salted to the point where there's not ice unlike sidewalks

I almost ran a guy over this morning on the way to work. It was still completely dark and there were no street lights. He was dressed completely in black, on the right side of the road.

What an idiot.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1042 on: December 13, 2019, 09:04:36 PM »
I almost ran a guy over this morning on the way to work. It was still completely dark and there were no street lights. He was dressed completely in black, on the right side of the road.

What an idiot.

same here-last week-dark clothes-walking right into me-crest of a hill-there he is-inches-scared the digested food outta me-my life(and others) could be really different today-cue in the song-Jesus take this wheel-seriously

i don't take that way home anymore
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: December 13, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »
my wife was recently diagnosed with a wheat allergy so other than stouts beer is no more. So, she's made a move to White Claw and cider when we're out. She can have them, all IPA's for me!

I'm pretty sure White Claw is just leftover Zima from during the time when I was in college but to each their own.

My wife has the same issue and there are plenty of good beers without gluten.  Quite often purchase beers for her from Omission, Green's, Daura and Lakefront New Grist.  (Only Lakefront beer I ever see out this way.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: December 13, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »

What an idiot.

When I was training for the marathon in HS first thing my mom made me do was get neon sweatshirts and a reflector and that's in a burb with a ton of street lights. No excuse for wearing dark clothes as a runner/jogger/walker
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: December 13, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »

3) People who insist on backing into the spot every time

It is much easier to back into a spot when you are driving something larger than say, a minivan.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: December 13, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »

I counted five occasions in three days where people were walking in the street instead of the sidewalk...  in Florida.  Typically it’s a place not known for salt and ice, but maybe the snowbirds were freshly landed and didn’t get the message.

Whatever the case, it took every ounce of discipline not to swerve toward them as I drove by. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: December 14, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »

What an idiot.

Glow needs to drop the insurance payout...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: December 14, 2019, 04:26:07 AM »
When I was training for the marathon in HS first thing my mom made me do was get neon sweatshirts and a reflector and that's in a burb with a ton of street lights. No excuse for wearing dark clothes as a runner/jogger/walker

This was just a guy walking somewhere in a big black winter coat. And there was a sidewalk on the other side of the street.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: December 14, 2019, 07:31:02 AM »
I get the road walking thing entirely. Sidewalks are narrow and concrete is often cracked, buckled, or otherwise uneven with tripping as a very real consequence.
That said, you're an idiot if you are not illuminated more than an xmas tree with drivers out there who are fookin' with their phone, drunk, high, or all of the above.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"