[Today at 12:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187635 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #850 on: October 01, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
I've been a 100% cut your own grass guy. I've got a 42" zero turn for two acres. I'm at the point of possibly looking at a service. This summer has been brutal, first year my lawn hasn't gone brown for a period of time. I've been cutting twice a week, on a pretty high setting.

It's calming and nice 85 minute break from my house. I also do a way better job than the neighbors' landscapers.

Do I drop $6k on a quality 52" zero turn? I estimate it'll cost me $3,000/year to get my lawn cut by someone else. Financially makes total sense, but valuing my time for the mid-week cut is where I'm stuck.

What I really don't get it is people with underground sprinklers that use them on a nightly basis.

Two acres? Buy some goats.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #851 on: October 01, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »

BTW, what's the deal with "goat yoga?"  It's just like regular yoga...but with goats? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #852 on: October 01, 2019, 02:29:41 PM »
BTW, what's the deal with "goat yoga?"  It's just like regular yoga...but with goats?

yes, you do yoga with goats roaming around. My wife is an instructor and some people who own a farm asked if she wanted to run a class with the goats. She declined. We just don't get that one. Beer yoga, however...
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #853 on: October 01, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »
Can I do beer yoga without all the stretching part?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #854 on: October 01, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
I've been a 100% cut your own grass guy. I've got a 42" zero turn for two acres. I'm at the point of possibly looking at a service. This summer has been brutal, first year my lawn hasn't gone brown for a period of time. I've been cutting twice a week, on a pretty high setting.

It's calming and nice 85 minute break from my house. I also do a way better job than the neighbors' landscapers.

Do I drop $6k on a quality 52" zero turn? I estimate it'll cost me $3,000/year to get my lawn cut by someone else. Financially makes total sense, but valuing my time for the mid-week cut is where I'm stuck.

What I really don't get it is people with underground sprinklers that use them on a nightly basis.

1.5 half acres but thankfully the back half is woods.  Riding lawn tractor and I used to not mind, but I have a weird shaped yard, loaded with immovable erratics (glacial rocks) and New England grows rocks and it's a new challenge every summer as you don't know where or what size rock will pop out that wasn't there the year before.  A blade and deck killer.
I don't water or put down weed killer.

underground sprinklers - As a daily morning runner I see people who always run their sprinklers at 5:30 am.  I've been asking WTF for the last 2-3 weeks as a I see a  few houses where people are still watering their lawns.   It's September!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #855 on: October 01, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
1.5 half acres but thankfully the back half is woods.  Riding lawn tractor and I used to not mind, but I have a weird shaped yard, loaded with immovable erratics (glacial rocks) and New England grows rocks and it's a new challenge every summer as you don't know where or what size rock will pop out that wasn't there the year before.  A blade and deck killer.
I don't water or put down weed killer.

underground sprinklers - As a daily morning runner I see people who always run their sprinklers at 5:30 am.  I've been asking WTF for the last 2-3 weeks as a I see a  few houses where people are still watering their lawns.   It's September!

September/fall is the secondary growth period for cool season grasses. Water to encourage significant growth, especially roots, before winter sets in.

Edit: I moved into my first house/yard 2 years ago. I've spent an obscene amount of time in the last year learning how to take care of a lawn and implementing that education. Lawns are boring to look at. But they're like any other planting/gardening hobby. Lots of time and lots to learn if you want it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:17:13 PM by jesmu84 »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #856 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »
This is both related to lawn care and something I don't get...
We moved into a house last year. It has an in-ground sprinkler system in the yard. Seems fine, BUT... the previous owners removed the control panel. The box where it connects to the system is still attached to the wall in the garage, but the cover (including all the buttons and the display) are gone. It doesn't even have a visible brand name or anything. Not sure what that's all about, but I haven't bothered trying to fix it.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #857 on: October 01, 2019, 06:35:28 PM »

Village won’t allow it. Thought about an alpaca. Well, two alpacas because they get lonely. And then the guard llama to keep them safe.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #858 on: October 01, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
yes, you do yoga with goats roaming around. My wife is an instructor and some people who own a farm asked if she wanted to run a class with the goats. She declined. We just don't get that one. Beer yoga, however...
Does your wife teach Bikram? Started going regularly about 4 years ago. One of the toughest workouts I’ve experienced (and I’ve run a bunch of marathons and half marathons).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #859 on: October 01, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »
    one of the reasons i love Az.  i can leave for extended periods of time and not worry about a lawn.  just kill the weeds a couple times a year...more pool & golf time

I'm with ya, rocketman. We actually seriously considered the PHX area before choosing NC. I like the desert landscape, and I liked that we wouldn't have a lawn ... but my wife hated that part of it.

I'd be the worst at taking care of a yard, because I just don't give a darn about it. Good thing my wife will never dump me because I'm so effen lovable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #860 on: October 01, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »
I agree with that to a point....I don't get lawns that are big enough that you have to use a riding mower. I've got a nice little quarter acre.....gives plenty of space for the door, keeps the neighboring houses a reasonable distance away, and gives me plenty of space for outdoor events like the bags tournament(for adults) and bounce house(for kids) event I'm hosting this weekend.

Quick tip:  Use 3/4” EMT and yellow spray paint for the foul poles in your backyard WiffleBall field.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #861 on: October 02, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »
Does your wife teach Bikram? Started going regularly about 4 years ago. One of the toughest workouts I’ve experienced (and I’ve run a bunch of marathons and half marathons).

no. She hates Bikram and extreme heat gives her headaches.  She does Vinyasa, some Yin and hybrid classes. I did Bikram for a while but got bored with it (and yes, it was a brutally tough workout). I'd rather do heated Vinyasa with flows.  To me, there's a cult-like vibe around Bikram and the smell of the studios (thanks to the carpet) takes a bit to get used to.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #862 on: October 02, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
I'm with ya, rocketman. We actually seriously considered the PHX area before choosing NC. I like the desert landscape, and I liked that we wouldn't have a lawn ... but my wife hated that part of it.

I'd be the worst at taking care of a yard, because I just don't give a darn about it. Good thing my wife will never dump me because I'm so effen lovable.

my buddy put Astroturf in his back yard. Great for the kids to play on and no upkeep.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #863 on: October 02, 2019, 02:09:18 PM »
my buddy put Astroturf in his back yard. Great for the kids to play on and no upkeep.

When we lived in Chicago, our backyard was so small that we said the heck with it, paved the whole thing and made it into a basketball court for the kids. It turned out to be a great decision. All the neighborhood kids came to us, so we always knew where ours were, and both of my kids ended up having nice little basketball "careers." You make do with what you have!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #864 on: October 02, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »
no. She hates Bikram and extreme heat gives her headaches.  She does Vinyasa, some Yin and hybrid classes. I did Bikram for a while but got bored with it (and yes, it was a brutally tough workout). I'd rather do heated Vinyasa with flows.  To me, there's a cult-like vibe around Bikram and the smell of the studios (thanks to the carpet) takes a bit to get used to.

Agree on the cult-like vibe though a bunch of studios out east have removed “Bikram” from the name secondary to the legal issues of the lunatic founder. I find every class is a challenge. Haven’t tried the other forms though I’m well aware that most people think Bikram is the lowest form of yoga.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #865 on: October 02, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »

Fake news, I know you care about the trees in your yard 😉

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #866 on: October 02, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
I will say yoga is one of those things I don't get. Maybe I'm just not mature enough or focused enough but the couple of times my wife talked me into going to a class I ended up giggling my way through and getting dirty looks. Quiet mindfulness is just not my jam and I fail to see how I can get a workout of it as efficiently as pounding some miles on the pavement.

I workout because I'd be a super fatass if I didn't, I don't work out to relax per se.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #867 on: October 02, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
Fake news, I know you care about the trees in your yard 😉

Scores!

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #868 on: October 02, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
I will say yoga is one of those things I don't get. Maybe I'm just not mature enough or focused enough but the couple of times my wife talked me into going to a class I ended up giggling my way through and getting dirty looks. Quiet mindfulness is just not my jam and I fail to see how I can get a workout of it as efficiently as pounding some miles on the pavement.

I workout because I'd be a super fatass if I didn't, I don't work out to relax per se.

I used to laugh at the idea of doing yoga and make fun of my wife when she'd be practicing at home and I don't get into the whole mindfulness thing (ADD will do that) but I find it great for flexibility and recovery. The first class I started attending regularly was called "Rockin' Vinyasa" and had music playing: modern rock, pop and even hip hop.  I was down with that.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #869 on: October 02, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »

I’m a runner (and golfer). Try one Bikram class. I guarantee you won’t be giggling. You’ll likely be too busy talking yourself out of throwing up. I know that sounds crazy but it’s 100% accurate.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #870 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:20 PM »
I’m a runner (and golfer). Try one Bikram class. I guarantee you won’t be giggling. You’ll likely be too busy talking yourself out of throwing up. I know that sounds crazy but it’s 100% accurate.

I pretty much forgot my name during my first class. I had a NFL player in a class and he was struggling. It’s brutal but not true yoga.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #871 on: October 02, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Lawns are cool.   I’m bummed that I had to rehab a knee this year and had to pass the mowing duties off. 

I’m considering increasing my cylinder index and upgrading the snow blower.

Do they make a two cylinder ice auger?

• All American
« Reply #872 on: October 04, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »
Terry Bradshaw

Has gone from a likeable goof to a guy who will hawk anything using his "gee shucks am I am dumba$$" persona.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #873 on: October 04, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
Terry Bradshaw

Has gone from a likeable goof to a guy who will hawk anything using his "gee shucks am I am dumba$$" persona.

He's still a likeable goof.   Now he's just a likeable goof that sells sh!t.

• All American
« Reply #874 on: October 04, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
I find his act so very tired.