[Today at 08:47:05 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Things I Don't "Get"  (Read 187480 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Things I Don't "Get"
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »
what this thread has become

But I'll throw in another one...... Adults who go to Disney World without children. What the everloving f*ck

Sure, bring the tots to see Mickey when they are 5. But people actually go for honeymoons..... I'd rather shoot my own kneecap

Define adults...

Recently went with my sister, mom, two of my cousins and their parents.

My sister, cousins, and I are all in our early to mid-20s, and we had an absolute blast because we could actually appreciate/remember it.

Last time we were there beforehand was 15 years ago.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Black Mirror.  I can just imagine being in that writer’s room:

“Okay guys, so here’s what our next episode is gonna be about.  Somebody invents a car, only instead of using gasoline, it’s powered by social media likes.  And now gas stations don’t have fuel pumps but instead have hot chicks in bikinis and you can take your picture with them and get lots of likes on Instagram to fill up your tank.  And what happens is one guy is driving in the middle of nowhere and his car breaks down and he has to post a bunch of stuff to get it going again, only his phone is dying.  Now get to work.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
Define adults...

My sister, cousins, and I are all in our early to mid-20s, and we had an absolute blast because we could actually appreciate/remember it.

Yeah, people like you guys. I don't get it. Been there once as an adult (family trip - against my will), and couldn't understand how people would pay money for those crowds and overpriced everything. I can think of 100 other places I'd rather spend my hard earned money and vacation time.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
Never got the love affair. Fat bottom girls is catchy though. That being said I should've just said all stadium rock

You realize Queen was a lot more than stadium rock right?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2019, 01:51:30 PM »
Define adults...

Yeah, and what if you are someone like me that never got to go until they were adults?  #Largefamilyproblems

But saying that, add "People who get married at Disney" to the list.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
Black Mirror.  I can just imagine being in that writer’s room:

“Okay guys, so here’s what our next episode is gonna be about.  Somebody invents a car, only instead of using gasoline, it’s powered by social media likes.  And now gas stations don’t have fuel pumps but instead have hot chicks in bikinis and you can take your picture with them and get lots of likes on Instagram to fill up your tank.  And what happens is one guy is driving in the middle of nowhere and his car breaks down and he has to post a bunch of stuff to get it going again, only his phone is dying.  Now get to work.”

Send that one in.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »
Queen

I've taken a lot of crap from you over the years Galway. This might be the last straw
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
Yeah, and what if you are someone like me that never got to go until they were adults?  #Largefamilyproblems

That's a fair exception. If you never got to go before, I get the curiosity thing. But that one time would be enough for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
Maybe “Galway” meant “The Queen”.

Now that you mention it ...

One thing that hundreds of millions of people are into that I totally don't get: The obsession with the royal family.

I can't figure out why some farmer in Tuscola would give a rat's rump about any British prince or princess.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »
If any of you are on Instagram I highly recommend you follow Gary Janetti. His takes on the royal family are hilarious.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »
I don't like Magic Kingdom but I love theme parks. Wife and I are contemplating going to Orlando for the tourney this year. Will gladly hit up Universal Studios, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios.
TAMU

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »
I don't like Magic Kingdom but I love theme parks. Wife and I are contemplating going to Orlando for the tourney this year. Will gladly hit up Universal Studios, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios.

Avoid Hollywood studios since Galaxy’s Edge is gonna be opening. That’s gonna be a nightmare.

Animal Kingdom was by far my favorite, Epcot was pretty sweet too.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »
-Adults who follow and post on social media account of high school and college athletes.
-People who follow and give money to Instagram and YouTube "influencers."
-People who actually believe in the Prosperity Gospel despite seeing their preachers living large with multiple private jets and mansions.
-I'm with the people who have said adults (particularly those without kids) obsessed with Disney.
-people who feel the need to bring their pets everywhere and claim them as "emotional support animals" because they can't bear to be away from their little rat dog for 3 hours or a weekend away.
-neck, hand and face tattoos.
-people who put "0.0" stickers on their cars. That's great, you can't run for distance, way to advertise your laziness and your disdain for those of us who can and are proud of it (no, I do not have any sort of sticker on my car advertising my running accomplishments. I don't do stickers on my car).
-people who are obsessed with Rose' and wear "Rose All Day" shirts and sport other gear with that saying.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:06:35 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2019, 02:23:54 PM »
I've taken a lot of crap from you over the years Galway. This might be the last straw

hahahaha

You realize Queen was a lot more than stadium rock right?

Yes. I've given them chances before.  They just aren't heavy enough to spark my interest and when they are they seem like those high pitched hair metal bands that I also don't care for basically I listen to punk from that era and that's about it. Plus I don't care for Freddie Mercury's voice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:28:38 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2019, 02:35:01 PM »
-people who feel the need to bring their pets everywhere and claim them as "emotional support animals" because they can't bear to be away from their little rat dog for 3 hours or a weekend away.

People who lie and say their pet is an emotional support animal when they are not are the worst. I would be careful assuming that is what is going on when you meet someone with an emotional support animal
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
-I'm with the people who have said adults (particularly those without kids) obsessed with Disney.

I'm certainly not obsessed with Disney, but my wife and I did go there once without kids.  We had a great time.  And we took our kids once.  Again, a great (albeit expensive) vacation that I have recommended many times.  But these people go go year after year -- especially without kids -- yeah...I don't get that.

Now we're moving beyond my "don't get it" list and into my pet peeves list (no pun intended).  I absolutely hate this.  Particularly because it is not protected under the law.  Emotional support animals (as distinguished from service animals) are not permitted in stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.  I wish more business owners would prohibit this, but they're afraid of getting sued.  More states are making it illegal to overstate and/or misrepresent your animal's role.  Good.

-people who are obsessed with Rose' and wear "Rose All Day" shirts and sport other gear with that saying.

I have no idea what you're even referring to here.  Can't say that I've even heard of this.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »

Amen, Brother Billy!!!!

Boarded a United flight from MCO to ORD about two years ago. Was in first class and just settled in when a dude and comfort hound boarded. They sat next to me with the comfort hound in the space between seats 1E and 1F in first class.

The comfort hound was as much an emotional support animal as an alligator running through one of 1 million Florida drainage canals. He was drooling and gazed up at me as I ate the dinner United served. The hound himself sitting was about four feet tall and weighed about 80 pounds. Damn dog smelled bad and was trained about as well as my spoiled, stubborn and internally focused cocker spaniel.

I'm sorry folks. I don't care whether you need the comfort hound or not. If you can't go three hours on an airplane without emotional support, you don't belong on an airplane.

In short:

I DON'T GET COMFORT HOUNDS!!!!!!  Either

P.S. -- For the record, I'm a dog owner.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 02:53:20 PM by dgies9156 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2019, 02:47:01 PM »
People who lie and say their pet is an emotional support animal when they are not are the worst. I would be careful assuming that is what is going on when you meet someone with an emotional support animal

I agree with you, but again point out that emotional support animals are not permitted in most businesses/locations.  I freely acknowledge that some states might have more expansive laws, but generally speaking the rights afforded to emotional support animals are fairly limited and focus primarily on housing and air travel; not businesses.  Even if they are totally legit. 

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on the bogus emotional support animals.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »

I hate Disney too. I've never been there since I have an aversion to long lines and irritable, uncontrolled children. Haven't been to Universal either.

And, yes, my Florida home is 1:20 from MCO and about 1:40 from Disney.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
I'm certainly not obsessed with Disney, but my wife and I did go there once without kids.  We had a great time.  And we took our kids once.  Again, a great (albeit expensive) vacation that I have recommended many times.  But these people go go year after year -- especially without kids -- yeah...I don't get that.

Now we're moving beyond my "don't get it" list and into my pet peeves list (no pun intended).  I absolutely hate this.  Particularly because it is not protected under the law.  Emotional support animals (as distinguished from service animals) are not permitted in stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.  I wish more business owners would prohibit this, but they're afraid of getting sued.  More states are making it illegal to overstate and/or misrepresent your animal's role.  Good.

I have no idea what you're even referring to here.  Can't say that I've even heard of this.

1. It's cool to go but like I said, there's an obsession. A number of years ago my family did a Disney cruise (mainly for my nieces and nephew) and my wife and I were curious if there was anything for adults with no kids and came across message boards. People would list how many Disney cruises they did, identify the boat and all as if being on 14 Disney cruises was a badge of honor. I don't get that.

The Rose' thing must be a regional thing being in a big wine area. It's huge among 20 something girls (I believe they're known as "Basic Bitches") and I see it a lot in my fitness studios. Rose' is little more than more expensive Franzia.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:07:25 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
Candy Corn
NECCO
Rush (the band)
Transformers
Rum
White Russians
Threesomes
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2019, 03:06:55 PM »
The movie Grease. I like muscials but I never understood the appeal of Grease

I know this will shock some people but I did not get Lost

Definitely did not get Lost. Tried watching it twice. Never got past the second episode. I literally "didn't get it."

Grease ... a lot of the music was/is catchy. And you have to remember that when it came out Travolta was extremely, extremely popular. My girlfriend at the time LOVED him.

I also think that for a certain age kid at the time -- say, 11-16 year olds -- their parents were duped into thinking it was "wholesome entertainment" and let them watch it. But it actually is quite raunchy -- filled with innuendo and more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Threesomes

Let me be the first to say ... C'mon man, you don't even get twosomes.

Lots of onesomes for chicos!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
Amen, Brother Billy!!!!

Boarded a United flight from MCO to ORD about two years ago. Was in first class and just settled in when a dude and comfort hound boarded. They sat next to me with the comfort hound in the space between seats 1E and 1F in first class.

The comfort hound was as much an emotional support animal as an alligator running through one of 1 million Florida drainage canals. He was drooling and gazed up at me as I ate the dinner United served. The hound himself sitting was about four feet tall and weighed about 80 pounds. Damn dog smelled bad and was trained about as well as my spoiled, stubborn and internally focused cocker spaniel.

I'm sorry folks. I don't care whether you need the comfort hound or not. If you can't go three hours on an airplane without emotional support, you don't belong on an airplane.

In short:

I DON'T GET COMFORT HOUNDS!!!!!!  Either

P.S. -- For the record, I'm a dog owner.

Brother Dgies, I can agree that people who don't train their dogs are the absolute worst. Doubly true if they are emotional support animals because the least you can do when taking your animal into a crowded public space is to make sure it is trained and bathed. I would also say that it is common courtesy in that situation to put the dog in the window seat and the human in the middle seat.

But I can't agree with the statement that people who need ESAs don't belong on airplanes. If that were true that would mean my wife (and I by extension) don't belong on airplanes. I'm sorry your ride was uncomfortable and smelly. It was likely not very comfortable for the person with the ESA either.

I agree with you, but again point out that emotional support animals are not permitted in most businesses/locations.  I freely acknowledge that some states might have more expansive laws, but generally speaking the rights afforded to emotional support animals are fairly limited and focus primarily on housing and air travel; not businesses.  Even if they are totally legit. 

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on the bogus emotional support animals.

Agreed. There's a ton of misinformation about emotional support animals out there and some of that confusion paralyzes businesses from enforcing their rules. There are also those that use that misinformation to their advantage and abuse the system. In  this case, I was reacting the quotation marks around emotional support animals.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:36:32 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
But I can't agree with the statement that people who need ESAs don't belong on airplanes. If that were true that would mean my wife (and I by extension) don't belong on airplanes.

Ironically, the situation Dgies describes is actually one of the fairly limited public settings where one can expect to legitimately encounter an ESA.  Like you said, it's unfortunate that he had a bad experience.

feedback