[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer  (Read 124466 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
J5

Do you think top 10 recruiting class is likely, top 20 or what are you expectations for 2020 class?

How many top 10 classes has Marquette had post Al? Is that a reasonable expectation?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
How many top 10 classes has Marquette had post Al? Is that a reasonable expectation?

Also, how many of those classes actually panned out?  I seem to remember Buzz having a few and very few of those players became contributors.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
TAMU

I really have no idea. I guess I am looking for clarity on what will constitute as a "big" 2020 class. In all seriousness, I had assumed that you guys were talking top five type class.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
Outsiders view?  Many to most outsiders I’ve spoken with said they will wait for actual facts and information and not speculate about groups or individuals.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
J5

Do you think top 10 recruiting class is likely, top 20 or what are you expectations for 2020 class?

I am not plugged in enough to recruiting to give you a definitive answer.  I think top 20 is likely.  I like that Wojo is all over a bunch of top 50 type recruits.  Top 20 can turn into top 5 pretty quickly if you somehow snag a Jalen Johnson or Jalen Suggs, but I am not at all counting on that. 

So I guess we'll have to see, but I am hopeful it will be a monster class.  If its a flop, Wojo is definitely on the hot seat IMO.  And that is coming from someone who doesn't think his seat is the slightest bit warm currently. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25:24 PM »
TAMU

You might be correct when it comes to tier two recruits. There is not a coach that is chasing four and five stars that will not use that against Wojo. Guys that are second rung recruits, likely will not be bothered as much. Not sure what you experience is in the business world, but negative selling is done far too often in real world.

That just reminds of car salesmen trash talking other makes of cars, usually dismissed out of hand in my experience as a "consider the source".

Goose

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »
Waldo

Yes, you are a college educated, likely professionally employed. The target audience of coach is a teenage boy, his parent's, AAU coach and high school coach. In many cases, they either believe every word they hear or cherry pick what they believe. But, I guess you are right. I am sure many kids recruiting would say to their Dad, "hey Pops, Coach XYZ sure sounds like a used car salesman. Don't you agree?"

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:39 PM »
Waldo

Yes, you are a college educated, likely professionally employed. The target audience of coach is a teenage boy, his parent's, AAU coach and high school coach. In many cases, they either believe every word they hear or cherry pick what they believe. But, I guess you are right. I am sure many kids recruiting would say to their Dad, "hey Pops, Coach XYZ sure sounds like a used car salesman. Don't you agree?"

You would think (hope) the parents, AAU coach, and high school coach would be the ones telling the kid to be wary of negative recruiting, and not vice versa.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »

If I were Wojo, the answer would be simple.  The Hausers didn't want to share the ball. 

If I were a recruit or the parent of a recruit who knew anything about Marquette basketball (I would hope recruits and their parents do) and Wojo told me that the Hausers left because they didn't want to share the basketball I would thank Wojo for his interest and show him the door. Telling such an obvious lie at the beginning of a relationship would mean the end of it for me.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »
If I were a recruit or the parent of a recruit who knew anything about Marquette basketball (I would hope recruits and their parents do) and Wojo told me that the Hausers left because they didn't want to share the basketball I would thank Wojo for his interest and show him the door. Telling such an obvious lie at the beginning of a relationship would mean the end of it for me.

Ok.  I know a fair amount about Marquette basketball.  I still struggle to have any real understanding as to why the Hausers left other than the fact that they didn't want to watch their NPOY teammate dominate handling and shooting of the ball next season.

Happy to be set straight on the actual reasons, if you're so tuned in.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
Kampus

Do you follow men's D1 college basketball? Do you really think Mom, Grandma, AAU coach or whomever is always giving sound advice to these kids? I remember talking with Buzz about Jabari Parker and him saying "there are too many piranhas in those waters". Now that is coming from a guy who lives in the grey zone.

Before you jump down my throat, of course there are good parents and smart players out there. But, one thing I always follow in my business life is to prepare for the worst.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2019, 02:26:02 PM »
You're right, it was the very first line item in The Lead.  My apologies.

https://youtu.be/juny0a7SOCU?t=342
Good f'in God!  It was on The Lead? 

So a maybe few hundred thousand people saw it for a couple of hours one day?  That is indeed monumental. 

Get a grip

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
Kampus

Do you follow men's D1 college basketball? Do you really think Mom, Grandma, AAU coach or whomever is always giving sound advice to these kids? I remember talking with Buzz about Jabari Parker and him saying "there are too many piranhas in those waters". Now that is coming from a guy who lives in the grey zone.

Before you jump down my throat, of course there are good parents and smart players out there. But, one thing I always follow in my business life is to prepare for the worst.

Buzz either lied to you or didn't know what he was talking about.
Jabari's recruitment was lorded over by his dad, former NBA player Sonny Parker. There weren't a bunch of people involved.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2019, 02:30:23 PM »
Kampus

No sorry I don't follow college hoops at all.  ::)

I was just pointing out that you weren't looking at the whole picture when you gave your "kid points out shady coach to dad" example.

And I don't think the "Piranhas" were the reason Buzz didn't go after Jabari. Unless he was referring to K as a Piranha.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2019, 02:39:15 PM »
Kampus

He was referring to the fringe posse with their hand's out, not Coach K. That is what I was implying when I asked if you followed college ball. A lot of green gets passed around in recruiting circles.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2019, 02:40:48 PM »
Ok.  I know a fair amount about Marquette basketball.  I still struggle to have any real understanding as to why the Hausers left other than the fact that they didn't want to watch their NPOY teammate dominate handling and shooting of the ball next season.

Happy to be set straight on the actual reasons, if you're so tuned in.

In your original post you said Wojo should tell recruits the Hausers left because they didn't want to share the ball. Untrue. Actually he opposite is the truth. They left because they want to play in a system that does share it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
In your original post you said Wojo should tell recruits the Hausers left because they didn't want to share the ball. Untrue. Actually he opposite is the truth. They left because they want to play in a system that does share it.

Which can also be read as they didn't think they were getting the ball enough from the AA teammate, therefore they quit. 

onepost

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »
Good f'in God!  It was on The Lead? 

So a maybe few hundred thousand people saw it for a couple of hours one day?  That is indeed monumental. 

Get a grip

I only posted a link to prove your obtuse "no it wasn't" comment was incorrect.
The argument was made, "well my buddy who played at the rec league in college at Dayton didn't know about it so it must not be seen as a huge deal".  I was simply pointing out the fact that not only was it a huge deal in the CBB world, it was seen as a big enough national sports story to warrant broadcasting it prominently on their bottom line.  So it was considered a big deal then, and accepted as such by any knowledgeable CBB fan going forward.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »

To play devil's advocate: If the system was the problem,  why did the Hausers announce their transfer 3 days after Howard announced his return?  Why not earlier?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Kampus

He was referring to the fringe posse with their hand's out, not Coach K. That is what I was implying when I asked if you followed college ball. A lot of green gets passed around in recruiting circles.

And as Pakuni noted, he was either ignorant or lying.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2019, 02:56:46 PM »
Well...they are wrong. It is a big deal

Thank God for the Wee Willie Contrary Rule.  Glad to know we can now move on without much concern.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
Which can also be read as they didn't think they were getting the ball enough from the AA teammate, therefore they quit.

You said Wojo should tell recruits the Hausers left because they didn't want to "share".

That is patently false.

Wanting someone who is not sharing to share is not the same thing as not wanting to share. In fact it's the opposite. So if Wojo uses your approach he will be telling a lie that's a known lie. To me that would not be very smart recruiting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2019, 03:02:54 PM »
The Hausers wanted the ball more.  When Markus returned, they left. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:10:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
You said Wojo should tell recruits the Hausers left because they didn't want to "share".

That is patently false.

Wanting someone who is not sharing to share is not the same thing as not wanting to share. In fact it's the opposite. So if Wojo uses your approach he will be telling a lie that's a known lie. To me that would not be very smart recruiting.

JFC, you know what I meant.  I believe I also said in the same post they "wanted the limelight".  The bottomline is the Hausers quit because they have a high volume NPOY candidate on their team and they wanted more of a featured role and weren't going to get it with him around.  Call it whatever TF you want, its a fairly easy thing to explain away to a recruit IMO.  Especially a recruit that will be coming the season after said NPOY candidate and several other seniors graduate.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
To play devil's advocate: If the system was the problem,  why did the Hausers announce their transfer 3 days after Howard announced his return?  Why not earlier?

This question has been asked in a variety of ways over the last week. I have yet to see a satisfactory answer from those who think the Hausers are 100% "innocent" in this fiasco.

Wojo wasn't honest with them. The system stinks. Wojo misled them. They weren't confident Wojo could coach a team to greatness.

Well ... if Markus leaves, Wojo would still be here. If you can't trust Wojo with Markus, why can you suddenly trust him without Markus?

Was the problem Wojo or not?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson