[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer  (Read 122659 times)

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
Re: Outsiders View Of Hausers Transfer
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 09:32:40 AM »
Haven't posted here much. This past season was my first in which I followed Marquette pretty closely (started grad school last Fall).

I'm obviously nowhere near the Marquette fan that most/all of you posting here are. But watching this team all year (on TV, never made it up for a game), I noticed both Hausers upset numerous times after Howard put up shots. I'm not saying I am on either side, but I definitely saw more than a few quick moments when the camera was panned on either Hauser brother, and they looked super frustrated after a Howard shot.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
It was the second line item on that Monday's "Top News" ESPN scroll, behind only Tiger Woods winning the Masters.
I don't care what your clearly uninformed friends think, in the college basketball world this was a massive deal.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
It was massive for Marquette. Huge for the  Big East, a noticeable blip for college basketball, and absolutely nothing in the world of sports.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
It was the second line item on that Monday's "Top News" ESPN scroll, behind only Tiger Woods winning the Masters.
I don't care what your clearly uninformed friends think, in the college basketball world this was a massive deal.

On the other hand, Andy Katz's top stories of the college basketball offseason so far:

1. Cassius Winston is returning to Michigan State for senior season
2. Udoka Azubuike will play for Kansas next season.
3. Cole Anthony announces he will play for North Carolina.
4. Duke signs the top recruiting class again.
5. Markus Howard is returning for a senior season at Marquette.
6. Jalen Smith is coming back for sophomore season at Maryland.
7. Mick Cronin leaves Cincinnati for UCLA.
8. St. John's hires former Arkansas coach Mike Anderson.
9. Porter Moser turns down St. John's and remains at Loyola-Chicago.
10. Ayo Dosunmu won't declare for NBA draft and will return to Illinois.
11. Nevada hired former UCLA, New Mexico, Iowa coach Steve Alford to replace Eric Musselman.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-04-23/11-most-significant-headlines-mens-college-basketball-final

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 10:28:14 AM »
No it wasn't.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
On the other hand, Andy Katz's top stories of the college basketball offseason so far:

1. Cassius Winston is returning to Michigan State for senior season
2. Udoka Azubuike will play for Kansas next season.
3. Cole Anthony announces he will play for North Carolina.
4. Duke signs the top recruiting class again.
5. Markus Howard is returning for a senior season at Marquette.
6. Jalen Smith is coming back for sophomore season at Maryland.
7. Mick Cronin leaves Cincinnati for UCLA.
8. St. John's hires former Arkansas coach Mike Anderson.
9. Porter Moser turns down St. John's and remains at Loyola-Chicago.
10. Ayo Dosunmu won't declare for NBA draft and will return to Illinois.
11. Nevada hired former UCLA, New Mexico, Iowa coach Steve Alford to replace Eric Musselman.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-04-23/11-most-significant-headlines-mens-college-basketball-final

FWIW, I'm slightly surprised Hausergeddon didn't crack his top 11 -- and I'm quite sure it would have had the Hausers announced right away where they were transferring to.

But I'm not the least bit surprised that even a knowledgeable national basketball voice would rank Markus' return over the departure of the Hausers.

One guy was an All-American who had a bunch of 30-, 40- and 50-point games ... one was a solid wing who does some of everything well (Sam) but wasn't even first-team all-BEast ... and the other was a role player who faded badly at the end of the season.

I'm not trying to minimize the Hausers' departure at all. It really was a Hausershima experience for Marquette's little corner of the basketball world -- our coach let a situation get so out of hand that two valuable players felt they had no choice but to transfer.

I (along with a few others, obviously) just think it's interesting to note that most of America -- even most of basketball-watching America -- met it with a "meh." If that.

As another Scooper said, if it happened at Oregon they'd feel the same way. Exactly.

I can't speak for others, but I wasn't trying to make any kind of grand statement by participating in this thread. I just find it to be an interesting subject.

If others don't agree, I don't believe they are being held hostage in this thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:42 AM »
FWIW, I'm slightly surprised Hausergeddon didn't crack his top 11 -- and I'm quite sure it would have had the Hausers announced right away where they were transferring to.

If you click the link, the Hausers are mentioned in the Markus item, but as secondary news to his return.

Howard has a chance to be the nation's top scorer after averaging 25 points a game. The departure of the Hauser brothers -- Sam and Joey -- will put even more stress/pressure on Howard. But he can deliver. The Golden Eagles won't be picked as a top-20 team or Big East favorite now without the Hausers, but Howard gives them enough star power to remain in competition for a high Big East finish and NCAA berth.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 11:27:48 AM »
No it wasn't.

You're right, it was the very first line item in The Lead.  My apologies.

https://youtu.be/juny0a7SOCU?t=342

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »

So?
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »

What was the first item on The Lead at 3:26 p.m. April 20th?
Outside of Scoop, nobody remembers this stuff.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
So?

So the whole point of this thread was outside views of the Hausers transferring.  Dayton, Michigan, MSU fans, the couple known for their guac who watches rounds 1/2 didn't realize they left.  I had friends who went to Creighton, Arizona, Michigan, and Vandy who asked me what the hell was going on at Marquette.  I'm saying it was apparently a big enough deal to the sports world that it was the #1 sports news that day.

I don't care what ho-hom college basketball fans know or don't know, to knowledgable CBB fans this was one of the biggest offseason news stories.  A massive deal.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »
It was massive for Marquette. It was notable outside Marquette for a day. It's not even a blip outside of Marquette now.
TAMU

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
It was massive for Marquette. It was notable outside Marquette for a day. It's not even a blip outside of Marquette now.

It’s still notable and probably massive for recruits and families who are talking to Marquette, especially in regards to the much anticipated 2020 class.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
It’s still notable and probably massive for recruits and families who are talking to Marquette, especially in regards to the much anticipated 2020 class.

Maybe to some. Others just saw playing time open up. None will remember by the early signing period
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
TAMU

You might be correct when it comes to tier two recruits. There is not a coach that is chasing four and five stars that will not use that against Wojo. Guys that are second rung recruits, likely will not be bothered as much. Not sure what you experience is in the business world, but negative selling is done far too often in real world.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 12:06:33 PM »
TAMU

You might be correct when it comes to tier two recruits. There is not a coach that is chasing four and five stars that will not use that against Wojo. Guys that are second rung recruits, likely will not be bothered as much. Not sure what you experience is in the business world, but negative selling is done far too often in real world.

So I assume that Wojo can use the same things against all of the other programs that see players transfer out every season?  The same stuff happens everywhere.

If I were Wojo, the answer would be simple.  The Hausers didn't want to share the ball.  We have a 2nd team All American returning who is going to be one of 2-3 names in the preseason national player of the year discussion.  They didn't like not being in the limelight.  Pretty easy to deflect that negativity.  And oh by the way, Mr. Top Recruit, Markus is a senior so when you arrive in 2020, there will be plenty of minutes and shots to go around. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »

No, it's not. Again, you're vastly overstating things. The primary concern for recruits - especially the really high level recruits - is getting to a place where they can play immediately and develop into a pro. Could the Hauser situation come up in a visit? Sure. But it's unlikely to play a "massive" role in any recruits' decision.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »
J5

I am not a fan of negative selling/recruiting, but if Wojo sees an apples to apples situation and chooses to recruit in negative manner, no gripes from me. I have seen in the business world the use of negative selling and the impact can cripple a business.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »
TAMU

Im sure coaches will try. It might work on some. I doubt it will work on many. In my experience, my interactions with a person inform my opinion of them a lot more than the opinions of a guy who I know has a biased reason for talking the guy down
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »
J5

I am not a fan of negative selling/recruiting, but if Wojo sees an apples to apples situation and chooses to recruit in negative manner, no gripes from me. I have seen in the business world the use of negative selling and the impact can cripple a business.

So Jalen Johnson says hey Wojo, what happened with the Hausers?  You'd rather Wojo not just not say anything about it at all and make Jalen think it was some toxic internal situation or coaching issue as opposed to telling him the truth?  That being, Sam and Joey wanted to be the guys and weren't willing to continue to defer to the NPOY the candidate?  I think any coaches using this situation against Wojo, Wojo can explain it away pretty quickly.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »
J5

Than we should expect two top grad players for next season and top ten recruiting class in 2020. You are 100% correct and looking forward to seeing the finishing touches on this class and will be eagerly awaiting 2020 class.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:55 PM »
Maybe to some. Others just saw playing time open up. None will remember by the early signing period

I posted on this earlier over in the recruiting thread, but one of our 2020 targets (Ethan Morton) has apparently ruled out MU at least in part due to the "significant recent changes".  For many teams, losing two contributing starters so unexpectedly means you probably won't make the tourney that year.  If MU doesn't make the tourney, is Wojo likely to even be around for 2020-2021?  When these top level recruits have so many options, a school with stability questions is going to have a hard sell.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
J5

Than we should expect two top grad players for next season and top ten recruiting class in 2020. You are 100% correct and looking forward to seeing the finishing touches on this class and will be eagerly awaiting 2020 class.

I have no idea how the 2020 class is going to shake out. Its obviously a big one.  I don't expect us to land top 15 type kids.  But I think it will be nice class hopefully with at least a couple of Dawson Garcia, Dain Dainja, and Jamari Sibley, with some nice guards to finish it out. 

I am not of the belief that Marquette is going to regularly beat out elite blue blood programs for recruits. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 12:32:50 PM »
Two different people can look at the exact same situation and reach two different conclusions. 

Two starters left a projected top 10 team.

Some recruits will wonder what is wrong with the coach/team/program.

Some will wonder what is wrong with the players.

I can see both viewpoints.  Personally,  I'm more nervous about 2020 recruiting since the Hauser transfer.   It's an obstacle for Wojo to overcome but not an impossible one to overcome.   We will see if he can.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
J5

Do you think top 10 recruiting class is likely, top 20 or what are you expectations for 2020 class?