[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What is really relevant  (Read 26284 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
What is really relevant
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
Reading through the 'analyses' posted here I note that the single most important comment on Wojo is being overlooked: a range of constituencies within the MU MBB circle all note that Wojo is inflexible, rigid, aloof, and worst of all, patronizing. The man has a hubris which makes him unlikable.

In the most recent case with the Hausers, Wojo's condescension and patronizing manner destroyed any chance of salvaging what was a very manageable situation.

When stakeholders come to a leader and say here is a problem that we need to fix, and actually offer constructive input designed to address the issue, it is incumbent on leadership to engage in meaningful dialogue.

If stakeholders are dismissed with trite platitudes they have every right to be upset.

This dynamic holds true in politics, business, the military, and college basketball teams. It applies to any collective organization established to accomplish a specific set of objectives.

Leadership can have quantitative scientific dimensions but it is overwhelmingly qualitative art.

The bottom line is that the real issue at play is Wojo is a terrible leader. He is running a multi-million dollar enterprise that involves managing political and business interests.

When any stakeholder comes to you with a problem you listen and do something about it. Even if the course of action is contrary to what the stakeholder wants you still manage it.

What is particularly egregious here is that the Hausers were acutely critical to the future course of the enterprise. To patronize one of your most important constituents is beyond ridiculous.

Unfortunately, leadership is mostly art that some people will never master. Frankly, I think Wojo is not particularly bright and will never transform into the CEO he needs to be.

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: What is really relevant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »
Wow - did not know how you felt until now. Thanks for telling us.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »
Coaches coach, and players play. Wojo was willing to suffer the backlash. Good for him

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
Is it hubris? Or is it an inability to see past the limitations of someone he admires and manage those limitations accordingly?

So I'm not sure its rigidity and aloofness, but an inability to manage.  Or are those two sides of the same coin?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
He’s a f*cking idiot.

I saw a tweet today that he’s spending Easter break watching all of the games from last season. Hopefully he realizes how dumb he is when watching and how much he’ll miss Sam and Joey.

Although it’s very doubtful
Bring back FFP!!!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »

Absolutely perfect example of the "Wojo as Listener" problem.

Thanks for providing a visual.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
For me, relevant is waking up and loving my family.

Oh and it’s thursday. So I’ll probably eat tacos and drink a few Margs.

I’m done trying to analyze this.

Next man up. Subject: beaten to a nice Gauac with cilantro and salsa. Which I will also be eating shortly.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Reading through the 'analyses' posted here I note that the single most important comment on Wojo is being overlooked: a range of constituencies within the MU MBB circle all note that Wojo is inflexible, rigid, aloof, and worst of all, patronizing. The man has a hubris which makes him unlikable.

lol

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
I think Crash is 100% correct that Wojo is not a great leader if what we are hearing is correct(even if we're off by +/-50% in the story). Even if the Hausers' are the biggest babies ever there are ways to manage that with the other demands of the other players as well. Keep in mind, there is enough evidence that this insurrection was more than just the Hausers, they are just the most visible in this.

No matter how you slice it, Wojo failed at a leadership level here, what remains to be seen is if he can learn and/or recover from it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 01:52:31 PM »
Spot on, Jon. This was a failure of leadership plain and simple. A leader’s greatest responsibility is eliminating the things that stand in the way of success for those that report to them.
No Finish Line

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
If you subscribe to a Camus-esque theory of things: the only thing that is relevant is buying into the absurdity of life.

If you are more of a Sartre person:you need to define what is relevant in your own life.

If you are a nihilist: everything is nothing.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:36 PM »
If you subscribe to a Camus-esque theory of things: the only thing that is relevant is buying into the absurdity of life.

If you are more of a Sartre person:you need to define what is relevant in your own life.

All Jon is saying is that Wojo....Kant do it.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Hopefully, there are other options at Kierkegaard.  Maybe as many as 4.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »
All Jon is saying is that Wojo....Kant do it.

Let's just be patient and see what transpires here.  Don't put Descartes before the horse.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:09 PM »
Hopefully, there are other options at Kierkegaard.  Maybe as many as 4.

But really none are a Locke to make up for the loss of Sam and Joey.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
I'm a-Freud that ship has sailed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
If Wojo doesn't find his Nietzsche as a coach soon, he's going to get Rand out of town.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
Humor is the best medicine

Thanks,  the depression is beginning to subside. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
The man has a hubris which makes him unlikable.

Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »

[/s]  Arby's.

C'mon man.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
It's fair to say Wojo didn't have the team Plato its strengths down the stretch.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »
If good players keep transferring out every year Dennett is unlikely that the team will advance very far in the tournament.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
I think Crash is 100% correct that Wojo is not a great leader if what we are hearing is correct(even if we're off by +/-50% in the story). Even if the Hausers' are the biggest babies ever there are ways to manage that with the other demands of the other players as well. Keep in mind, there is enough evidence that this insurrection was more than just the Hausers, they are just the most visible in this.

No matter how you slice it, Wojo failed at a leadership level here, what remains to be seen is if he can learn and/or recover from it.

What if there aren't? What if the Hauser demands were unreasonable, or if they were reasonable demands met with a reasonable response, but the Hausers didn't think it was enough? I know nothing, but I also know that just about none of us know everything.