[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Two types of fans  (Read 3593 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Two types of fans
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:59:26 AM »
Reading numerous posts broadly categorizing two types of fans within these "interesting times" for MU BB.

Fan type 1:  How did Wojo let this happen?  It is all on him.  He is the person in command.  He has to be accountable.

Fan type 2:  Many parties involved.  Coach Wojo is only one person involved.  The player's have free choice. 

Personally I think it is very tough to be in the top 83% of college basketball (17% rough percentage of teams getting into NCAA tournament).  Wojo put together the past teams which were good.  He assembled this one which unfortunately is taking a big hit.  But do we need to rototil the entire program now because two players did not have team first mentality but NBA aspiration mentality?  We got Ed and Koby.  Lost Sam and Joey.  In any case GO Marquette!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Two types of fans
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »
...because two players did not have team first mentality...
Is this a joke? I cannot believe somebody who watched this basketball team could make such an inaccurate  statement.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:00:25 AM »
One question, who is on the team now and who isn't?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
One question, who is on the team now and who isn't?

If you want to be that simplistic about it, go right ahead.  But looking at causes for transfers, especially in the case of a three year starter, is appropriate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:08:20 AM »
Bottom line is Wojo can put together a high level winning team.  Maybe he will continue this being at Marquette or maybe somewhere else.  In any case I am a MU fan for life and digging into all the reason a pair of brother's wanted to leave isn't a priority.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Personally I think it is very tough to be in the top 83% of college basketball (17% rough percentage of teams getting into NCAA tournament). 

Are you Mike Deane?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 07:20:04 AM »
Bottom line is Wojo can put together a high level winning team.  Maybe he will continue this being at Marquette or maybe somewhere else.  In any case I am a MU fan for life and digging into all the reason a pair of brother's wanted to leave isn't a priority.

I don't know how you define "high level winning team," but he hasn't done that at Marquette.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
Hey, you are the fans that eventually pay the coaches salary.  If you aren't happy with him, get another coach.  I am not going to get nailed to the cross for a coach.  Just be careful what you ask for.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 07:26:52 AM »
I don't pay the coach a damn thing and I don't have any influence over the process.  But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it.  Right?

And I have no idea what your "nailed to the cross" reference means.  It's strange.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:30:15 AM »
But you do pay the coach's salary.  TV ratings determine TV ad rates which determine what Fox or whoever will pay the conference, which then pays the schools which then pay's the coaches.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:30:35 AM »
A few things that I have learned in life and in sports fandom.

There are many types of fans, in every fan base, good, bad, indifferent, etc..

Truth is often times in the middle.

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:32:01 AM »
But you do pay the coach's salary.  TV ratings determine TV ad rates which determine what Fox or whoever will pay the conference, which then pays the schools which then pay's the coaches.

What a nonsense statement.  I have very little influence over the process.  Really I have no idea what you are even getting at.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 07:40:12 AM »
I am sorry.  You pay with your time.  Which your time translates in money in regards to viewership. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 07:42:31 AM »
So I learned today that no one should nail themselves to a cross for a coach and I pay coaches salary by watching TV...got it.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 07:43:30 AM »
I didn't know I was giving life lessons today.  Sorry, I will try to improve.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
You say it’s unfortunate the team he built took a hit. What you fail to point out is his actions destroyed the team he built and we’re lucky only two have left at this point. Wojo has proven to be a decent recruiter but that’s about it. His resume is weak and now there are major question marks about his leadership. I’m looking forward to the next era of MU hoops under better leadership
No Finish Line

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »
Fan type 3: Sam and Joey's MU friends vehemently defending them

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »
Fan type 3: Sam and Joey's MU friends vehemently defending them

Fan type 4: Butt hurt folks (many of them Scoopers) who loved everything that the Hausers were about as players and people who now consider them traitors, babies and quitters.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »

Zero NCAA wins. Choking away a BE championship? Is that high level? I am not in the fire Wojo now camp, but he is hardly what you describe. A work in progress perhaps, and now he really has work to do.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »
I am the fan type who likes winning.  Recent events lessen my optimism and elevate my skepticism regard the current coach.  He has every opportunity next season to change my mind.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
You definitely struck a chord with some, just be careful feeding into it.

Good post by the way.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »
I think you have the breaks all wrong. Here is the type of MU fan we have:

1) Anyone who was graduated before 1980 -- We think we have a God-given right to being a contender for the National Championship. We saw how good things could be under Al and we can't understand how anyone would want to play for anyplace other than Marquette. Our stand on the latest mess: "Good God, how could this happen?"

2) Anyone who was a student or a fan during the dark years from Hank to Kevin and during the Deane era  -- Marquette can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Ineptitude is our middle name. Al is gone and has been replaced by Bozo the Clown. Their stand on this mess "Why should we be surprised by the Hausers? Of course they left, they're winners!

3) The students and fans who originated under O'Neill, Coach Crean and the Cowboy -- What the heck, we're just going to get a coach who leaves! They expect someone good to go to a Power 5 team somewhere else. They hate the Cowboy but implicitly think he was right. Their take: "The Hausers did what coaches have done for nearly a generation now. Of course they left -- there's greener pastures somewhere else!

Clearly, I'm in Bucket 1.

The folks in Bucket 1 would fire Wojo immediately. Bucket 3 probably would fire Wojo next year but bucket 2 is resigned to the inevitable.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 04:39:41 PM »

1) Anyone who was graduated before 1980 -- We think we have a God-given right to being a contender for the National Championship. We saw how good things could be under Al and we can't understand how anyone would want to play for anyplace other than Marquette. Our stand on the latest mess: "Good God, how could this happen?"

2) Anyone who was a student or a fan during the dark years from Hank to Kevin and during the Deane era  -- Marquette can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Ineptitude is our middle name. Al is gone and has been replaced by Bozo the Clown. Their stand on this mess "Why should we be surprised by the Hausers? Of course they left, they're winners!

3) The students and fans who originated under O'Neill, Coach Crean and the Cowboy -- What the heck, we're just going to get a coach who leaves! They expect someone good to go to a Power 5 team somewhere else. They hate the Cowboy but implicitly think he was right. Their take: "The Hausers did what coaches have done for nearly a generation now. Of course they left -- there's greener pastures somewhere else!

The folks in Bucket 1 would fire Wojo immediately. Bucket 3 probably would fire Wojo next year but bucket 2 is resigned to the inevitable.

Heh heh.  Learned helplessness for us Bucket 2's.  You'd be the same if you hah had to watch Roman Mueller during your MU years.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »

Maybe I am an outlier, but time period wise I fall into Bucket 1. My father was a Marquette grad and I grew up in front of my kitchen black and white TV watching the Warriors in those crazy bumble bee uniforms and players quicker than flies.  I was a student at MU the year they won it all.  It was my personal feeling when Al left, MU would never find another coach on his level.  In any case it is similar to Packer fan mentality with Lombardi.  So I see what you are saying.  I just see basketball as being incredibly competitive and MU has done everything possible to put together a winning program that reflects Marquette values.  I think there are others in my time bucket that think similar to myself.

While I don't think Wojo deserves to go, there are a lot of emotions in this.  How far can emotions go to influence decisions?  Well, we will find out.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
Maybe I am an outlier, but time period wise I fall into Bucket 1. My father was a Marquette grad and I grew up in front of my kitchen black and white TV watching the Warriors in those crazy bumble bee uniforms and players quicker than flies.  I was a student at MU the year they won it all.  It was my personal feeling when Al left, MU would never find another coach on his level.  In any case it is similar to Packer fan mentality with Lombardi.  So I see what you are saying.  I just see basketball as being incredibly competitive and MU has done everything possible to put together a winning program that reflects Marquette values.  I think there are others in my time bucket that think similar to myself.

While I don't think Wojo deserves to go, there are a lot of emotions in this.  How far can emotions go to influence decisions?  Well, we will find out.

You and I were cut from the same cloth. When I said I have been following Marquette basketball for 53 years, it was because my MU grad father introduced it to me in the 1960s. Like you, I was on campus when they won it all and, while Al was someone truly special, I see no reason why we can’t find someone who can carry on the tradition.

We have to want it and I’m not sure everyone at the University’s leadership “wants” it enough to create it again.

feedback