[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77725 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 08:27:40 AM »
I agree that some players should leave the area to go to school.To many people in your ear.Joey and Sam should have probably went to different schools since there games are very similar.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
This was posted before, but is one of the more important data points:

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Reply/ghostBehind-Reply-131264929/

Frustrations grew significantly when Markus was dominating the ball down the losing stretch and Wojo refused to rest him or adjust to allow a more team oriented approach. Because many on the team felt it was the only option to get through to Wojo, a letter was written to him, initiated by the Hauser’s and cosigned by other members on the team, but it still fell on deaf ears.

I mean .. when a team is writing a letter to the coach -- signed by more than just the Hausers -- that is just huge trouble.   Any wonders why Marquette's season crashed and burned so drastically can be put to rest. 

Forget the Mueller Report .. I want to see the Hauser Letter. 

We're going to need to use MUScoop's little known subpoena power and get this out in the public.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 08:54:16 AM »

Frustrations grew significantly when Markus was dominating the ball down the losing stretch and Wojo refused to rest him or adjust to allow a more team oriented approach. Because many on the team felt it was the only option to get through to Wojo, a letter was written to him, initiated by the Hauser’s and cosigned by other members on the team, but it still fell on deaf ears.

I mean .. when a team is writing a letter to the coach -- signed by more than just the Hausers -- that is just huge trouble.   Any wonders why Marquette's season crashed and burned so drastically can be put to rest. 

We're going to need to use MUScoop's little known subpoena power and get this out in the public.

A team oriented approach where the first several possessions of every game went through Joey Hauser, who ultimately would fail miserably.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »

I heard Broeker is going to release a heavily redacted version to the BoT to review.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 09:23:16 AM »
A team oriented approach where the first several possessions of every game went through Joey Hauser, who ultimately would fail miserably.

Lol but no different than posting up Otule, STJ or Heldt on the 1st possession.  What happens on possessions 2-44 is what interests me.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:24:44 AM »
There have been some good points on both sides in this thread.

Saying Wojo had no other option at PG except Markus is a fact, but it's also not a very good excuse. He's not an NBA coach who is limited by the talent the GM brings in; he is also the GM and is personally responsible for the talent. He swung and missed at a couple of highly rated PGs, and I don't mind that, but his Plan B sucked and it hurt us a lot this season. I don't see who that could be on except Wojo.

It's also on Wojo IMHO that he didn't insist upon the team-oriented offense that he claimed to favor. I don't think "just tell Markus not to shoot every time" is as easy as some believe, but Wojo was able to impress the importance of getting others involved on Rowsey for most of the previous season. So it's not impossible. Still, Markus is who he is; he has poor court vision, a decent-at-best handle and lacks the drive-and-dish instinct. He is an elite scorer, so I'm certain that Wojo mostly felt "I'm gonna let my elite scorer score."

The notion that the victory at Georgetown without Markus should have "proven" something to Wojo is a little simplistic. Yes, Markus got hurt and Sam scored 31 in that game and we won without Markus. But over the next 4 games, all great wins, Sam had 25, 19, 20 and 19 while Markus had 24, 23, 31 and 32. They coexisted just fine. Actually, way way way better than just fine. They coexisted so well that we were a top-10 team and projected 3-seed. Was the resentment festering even then?

And then, in our showdown with Nova, Sam and Joey were MIA and Markus had 38. If Markus isn't great, we lose that game by 20. So what should that have reinforced to Wojo? That Markus shouldn't be shooting so much?

Down the stretch, as the whole thing unraveled, Markus played too much hero ball, Sam missed numerous shots that could have put us in position to win games, Joey was on a milk carton, and Wojo thrashed helplessly for solutions. It was painful for any MU fan to watch. By then, it was probably too late to change the way we played, especially given that the formula had mostly worked well for the preceding 3+ months.

Again, I'm not "excusing" any parts of the dynamic. It is Wojo's job to get the right pieces and then to make them all fit properly. It is a huge part of his job to manage egos. He clearly didn't succeed. He did have alternatives, but in his judgment they weren't better than what he chose to live and die with, and now the program is paying the consequences.

Clearly, the Hausers -- and I include Daddy and Mommy in that group -- lost confidence in and respect for Wojo. They felt he misled them, and they felt he and his program weren't best for Sam and Joey. So they turned to what they felt was their alternative -- quitting and going elsewhere. It happens in college basketball all the time.

I wish them well (unless they decide to join F%cky) and, as a fan, I naturally hope our program recovers. If Wojo coaches us to that recovery, he will deserve a fat, long-term contract. If not, he will deserve a pink slip. That's the university's alternative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 09:24:54 AM »

Rocket surgeon is julian Assange's doppelganger, let's see what he can find.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »

You know what I want????

I WANT TO KNOW WHY I HAD TO GO TO THE...FREAKING...DODDS...BOARD...TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LETTER.

What do I want?

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.  REFUND MY SUBSCRIPTION NOW PLUS 25%! NOW!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:54 AM »

They should have come to us -- I believe we are 3-0 in Scoop-led letter writing campaigns.  Hauser's -- 0-1. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
You know what I want????

I WANT TO KNOW WHY I HAD TO GO TO THE...FREAKING...DODDS...BOARD...TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LETTER.

What do I want?

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.  REFUND MY SUBSCRIPTION NOW PLUS 25%! NOW!

No problemo.  You can use this as many times as you like to recoup your subscription fee, as this is our only currency.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
No problemo.  You can use this as many times as you like to recoup your subscription fee, as this is our only currency.

What's the exchange rate of Scoop-Bucks to Dodds-nickels?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »

Dude, that's expired.  No self-respecting Arby's is gonna accept that.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »
Dude, that's expired.  No self-respecting Arby's is gonna accept that.

The subtlety of this. Just great.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »
For those who think Wojo should be judged on basketball results only - How would you grade him?

5 years, no regular season championships (even this year in a very down Big East), no conference  tournament championships,  2 tournament appearances with 0 wins. One year where the team was ranked.

A lot of people said he would be held accountable after 5 years (Because he chose the slow and steady rebuild approach). Here we are and i still hear a lot of excuses.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »

Not shocking, I'm waiting for more information that gets worse.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
Here are my alternatives:

• When Markus wasn't 100%, don't play him so many minutes. He didn't play against Georgetown and we managed. He clearly wasn't right at the end of the season & the team struggled because of that.
  • When you say "the strength of our team is our team", let that play out on the court as well. Script plays for other guys. If players don't get the ball to those other guys, let them sit on the bench for a bit so you can explain and reinforce that the strength of the team is indeed the team.
  • Push other players in the media. Yes, Markus has a compelling story, but it's not the only compelling story on the team. The coach can influence how the team is covered, do that to promote your other leaders.
  • Going further back, this comes down to recruiting. We needed someone to take Markus off the ball. It's better for Markus & the rest of the team. Maybe McEwen will be that guy, but clearly Chartouny wasn't a good fit & that comes down to staff evaluations.
  • Frankly...there are I'm sure a dozen other things that could've been done. Ultimately, it is the job of the head coach to assemble a roster & keep it together. I believe 100% that Wojo was aware there were issues. That being the case, it was his job to make it work. That's what he's paid for. So the question of what was Wojo's alternative is answered simply by "fix it" because that's why he was hired to sit in that seat in the first place.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
For those who think Wojo should be judged on basketball results only - How would you grade him?

5 years, no regular season championships (even this year in a very down Big East), no conference  tournament championships,  2 tournament appearances with 0 wins. One year where the team was ranked.

A lot of people said he would be held accountable after 5 years (Because he chose the slow and steady rebuild approach). Here we are and i still hear a lot of excuses.

I see a coach that took over a last place team and 5 years later had that team poised to win the BE, and a team that would be the heavy favorite in year 6.  But then the wheels started coming off.

One wheel came off in the late season slide.  Wheel two came off in the BET & NCAA tournament.   Wheel 3 came off when the Hausers left.

Now year 6 is about seeing if Wojo can put the wheels back on or if the last wheel comes off.

Roster additions for next year, 2020 recruiting class,  having a strong season...put those wheels back on and Wojo recovers. If all the wheels come off, then Wojo is gone.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »

• When Markus wasn't 100%, don't play him so many minutes. He didn't play against Georgetown and we managed. He clearly wasn't right at the end of the season & the team struggled because of that.
  • When you say "the strength of our team is our team", let that play out on the court as well. Script plays for other guys. If players don't get the ball to those other guys, let them sit on the bench for a bit so you can explain and reinforce that the strength of the team is indeed the team.
  • Push other players in the media. Yes, Markus has a compelling story, but it's not the only compelling story on the team. The coach can influence how the team is covered, do that to promote your other leaders.
  • Going further back, this comes down to recruiting. We needed someone to take Markus off the ball. It's better for Markus & the rest of the team. Maybe McEwen will be that guy, but clearly Chartouny wasn't a good fit & that comes down to staff evaluations.
  • Frankly...there are I'm sure a dozen other things that could've been done. Ultimately, it is the job of the head coach to assemble a roster & keep it together. I believe 100% that Wojo was aware there were issues. That being the case, it was his job to make it work. That's what he's paid for. So the question of what was Wojo's alternative is answered simply by "fix it" because that's why he was hired to sit in that seat in the first place.

PREACH!!!! This is so spot on

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »

My only minor nit is that Wojo did push other players in the media. He probably said 100 times that Sam was the backbone of the team, was one of the most underrated players in the country, was one of the best players in the BEast, etc. He gushed about Joey, especially in the first half of the season, called him a great player with a great future, and defended him when he was struggling.

Otherwise, can't argue at all with what you say or the way you say it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »

When people on here criticize me "what do you mean the team PLEADED with Wojo to make changes?  You're being dramatic."
Well........

onepost

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
What was Wojo's alternative?  Seriously??

He's the head coach.  If that means benching Markus because he's insurbordinate and freelancing when you've told him not to, ignoring play calls and doing his own thing, then you bench Markus.  Do it as often as it takes for him to understand.

If he complains or leaves then he leaves, but you in turn build an incredible amount of trust that that crap won't be tolerated.  Now you've got 12 guys who will run through a wall for you because you kept your word after their constant requests for change.  That establishes a culture of compliance and accountability.  This is basic stuff.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
When people on here criticize me "what do you mean the team PLEADED with Wojo to make changes?  You're being dramatic."
Well........

Or your could say they tried to strongarm wojo, and he appropriately resisted.

They probably also thought more people quit leave the team to support them when they decided to quit.

Maybe they didn't have as much support from teammates as they thought!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »

As a former media member, I will say there is only so much MU can do to dictate stories.   The media mindset is to report the big stories.  People want to hear about star players,  so those are the stories the media seeks out to tell.

Markus Howard is an All American, so he gets the most attention.  The Hauser brothers made for a nice number 2 story with the family angle.  Other than that, the rest of the players are small potatoes from a newsworthy standpoint. 

The Matt Heldt, Xavier,  crying Wojo story happened organically.  It got the attention it deserved.  If other interesting stories would've happened organically,  I  am sure they would've been covered.  But the media has little interest in being the PR department for Marquette. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »
Right or wrong, Wojo decided the best way to win was to ride his all-American as far as he could take them.
It worked beyond all our expectations for 3/4ths of the season. People here weren't complaining about Markus or the coaching when he dropped 45 on Buffalo or 45 on K-State or 53 on Creighton. In fact, we had a long unnecessary debate after the Creighton game about Markus inbounding the pass on the final shot instead of taking the final shot.
And then Markus got hurt and it all went to poop. Could Wojo have adjusted better at that point? 100 percent yes. But so suggest he was wrong all along when his strategy was delivering MUs best results in a very long time is the ultimate in Monday Morning QBing.

What I'd be really interested in seeing is what was MU's +/- in that 1-6 stretch with Markus off the court. I don't have the time (and probably not the tools) to do that at the moment, but if someone else does ...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:03 AM »
Right or wrong, Wojo decided the best way to win was to ride his all-American as far as he could take them.
It worked beyond all our expectations for 3/4ths of the season. People here weren't complaining about Markus or the coaching when he dropped 45 on Buffalo or 45 on K-State or 53 on Creighton. In fact, we had a long unnecessary debate after the Creighton game about Markus inbounding the pass on the final shot instead of taking the final shot.
And then Markus got hurt and it all went to poop. Could Wojo have adjusted better at that point? 100 percent yes. But so suggest he was wrong all along when his strategy was delivering MUs best results in a very long time is the ultimate in Monday Morning QBing.

What I'd be really interested in seeing is what was MU's +/- in that 1-6 stretch with Markus off the court. I don't have the time (and probably not the tools) to do that at the moment, but if someone else does ...

600 shot attempts for MH
614 combined shot attempts for the Hausers

The inflexible, high-risk approach failed when it mattered most, as Henry Sugar pointed out this morning.

feedback