[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77755 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2019, 01:43:53 PM »
Did Wojo adjust when Sam or Joey were playing poorly? Wojo deferred to Joey knowing he could not defend while Brendon and/or Jamal were sitting after one mistake. I can't speak for Markus but I don't think he was telling the coach how to coach. Things were really great until Joey was not measuring up and from the face of it the Hausers decided to take their ball and go home because baby brother was whining that Markus does not want to share the ball.
Umm Joey lost minutes to Bailey as the season went on and not just minutes but critical late game minutes so the answer is yes he did. It’s evident by the second part of this post you have a lack of appreciation and understanding for what transpired.
No Finish Line

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2019, 01:51:28 PM »
If you’re saying he needed to go home for mental health issues, I’m not sure I’m buying it. There is plenty of professional help in Milwaukee.

If you’re saying because of his mental health he’s unable to follow instructions and play basketball as the team game it’s supposed to be to the detriment of the 11 or 12 other players who work all year to play as a team, then you might get me to buy in. This could also explain Wojo being in a damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t situation.

Hypothetically speaking, many individuals speak openly of mental health issues as a proactive means of getting what they want. If they don’t get what they want, those around them are adversely affected.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Clearly by your reply you have an outstanding understanding of mental health issues and how individuals cope and talk about them.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
Clearly by your reply you have an outstanding understanding of mental health issues and how individuals cope and talk about them.
I know enough about them to realize a guy with anxiety problems ain’t jacking up contested off balance three pointers after missing 14 of his previous 15 shots.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2019, 01:56:46 PM »
To play Devil’s advocate, I think some of the low usage for Sam is on him. He was pretty conservative in the shots he took. I thought he should be more selfish on shots. However, the flow of the offense went out the window when Markus went 1 on 5.
That is what I loved about Sam.  Pass up an OK shot to try to get a better one unless time is running out on the clock.  Before the three point shot ball movement to get layups used to be the ultimate goal of your offense.  The three ball has changed what the best shot is, but lots of ball movement to get the best shot is still the most fun way to play and the most enjoyable for me personally to watch and very effective against most college teams.  I agree that is not the best strategy when you are as good as Sam and everyone else is not of the same mindset, though. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
Da 'hole fookin' mess kneeds ta bee purged. Starts and ends wit da coach. Give Wojo da heave ho, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
That is what I loved about Sam.  Pass up an OK shot to try to get a better one unless time is running out on the clock.  Before the three point shot ball movement to get layups used to be the ultimate goal of your offense.  The three ball has changed what the best shot is, but lots of ball movement to get the best shot is still the most fun way to play and the most enjoyable for me personally to watch and very effective against most college teams.  I agree that is not the best strategy when you are as good as Sam and everyone else is not of the same mindset, though.

I occasionally would yell at Sam (through the TV) to not pass up good shots, to go post up smaller players and dominate them, and to stop deferring. There were times he'd have a 6-5 guy on him and he'd be 8 feet from the basket and he'd pass the ball back out. Maybe that's "unselfish," but it's also not the best strategy.

And from what I recall in Scoop posts throughout the season, I'm not the only one who noticed such things and did such yelling.

Can we at least agree that at least a little of the "Hausers don't get enough shots" narrative is on Sam for not taking high-percentage shots when he had them? And can we also agree that Sam missed several wide-open 3s down the stretch, any couple/few of which might have led to a couple/few more wins, a BEast title, a better seed, etc.? And can we also agree that Joey was not the same player the second half of the season that he was the first half?

Why does almost everything have to be all-or-nothing, black-or-white, him-or-him with these issues? (I'm not talking about you, CTW, just Scoop in general.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »
I occasionally would yell at Sam (through the TV) to not pass up good shots, to go post up smaller players and dominate them, and to stop deferring. There were times he'd have a 6-5 guy on him and he'd be 8 feet from the basket and he'd pass the ball back out. Maybe that's "unselfish," but it's also not the best strategy.

And from what I recall in Scoop posts throughout the season, I'm not the only one who noticed such things and did such yelling.

Can we at least agree that at least a little of the "Hausers don't get enough shots" narrative is on Sam for not taking high-percentage shots when he had them? And can we also agree that Sam missed several wide-open 3s down the stretch, any couple/few of which might have led to a couple/few more wins, a BEast title, a better seed, etc.? And can we also agree that Joey was not the same player the second half of the season that he was the first half?

Why does almost everything have to be all-or-nothing, black-or-white, him-or-him with these issues? (I'm not talking about you, CTW, just Scoop in general.)
I am not on the Hausers' "side", they're the ones who are doing the leaving after all.  I was just pointing out that I liked Sam's approach about when to shoot and when to pass.  Once or so a game I might think he passed up a shot that he should have taken, but I prefer that to the opposite.  I also agree that he missed many good looks in big spots down the stretch.  In the end, I am a process guy.  Move the ball, look for high percentage shots for the first 20-22 seconds of the shot clock.  That is the process that will lead to the best results.  I think we aren't far apart at all.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
Da 'hole fookin' mess kneeds ta bee purged. Starts and ends wit da coach. Give Wojo da heave ho, aina?

It does start and end with the boss, totally agree with that. But maybe the purge is after next season. The whole program will be chaotic if Wojo is dumped now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
I think we aren't far apart at all.

We're not. Thanks for the conversation.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
I am not on the Hausers' "side", they're the ones who are doing the leaving after all.  I was just pointing out that I liked Sam's approach about when to shoot and when to pass.  Once or so a game I might think he passed up a shot that he should have taken, but I prefer that to the opposite.  I also agree that he missed many good looks in big spots down the stretch.  In the end, I am a process guy.  Move the ball, look for high percentage shots for the first 20-22 seconds of the shot clock.  That is the process that will lead to the best results.  I think we aren't far apart at all.

I think it's the contrast between him and Howard. Sam would pass up a good shot to get someone else a great one, but Markus would rather take a questionable shot when a pass would create a good or great one for someone else. I feel like on the court, Sam was very good at doing the little things to help the rest of the team, while Howard was hunting for his own shot. When Howard's shot is falling, it's magical, but when it's not, that acts to the detriment of everyone.

Another thing I've been thinking of is just how good Sam could be in Tony Bennett's system. The pack line doesn't require the same foot-speed as a typical man-to-man. It's more about sticking to your assignments, which Sam is already great at. And he's willing to keep moving the ball until the right look opens up. Joe McCann mentioned on Scrambled Eggs that he thought Sam could be a potential ACC POY at Virginia, and I'm inclined to agree. It isn't just that Virginia's system is perfect for Sam, it's that Sam is perfect for Virginia's system. If anywhere could turn him into a conference POY, All-American, & best highlight the attributes he has that could get him drafted, Virginia is it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
If you’re saying he needed to go home for mental health issues, I’m not sure I’m buying it. There is plenty of professional help in Milwaukee.

If you’re saying because of his mental health he’s unable to follow instructions and play basketball as the team game it’s supposed to be to the detriment of the 11 or 12 other players who work all year to play as a team, then you might get me to buy in. This could also explain Wojo being in a damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t situation.

Hypothetically speaking, many individuals speak openly of mental health issues as a proactive means of getting what they want. If they don’t get what they want, those around them are adversely affected.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

The letter in question supposedly stated that they were upset that Markus was allowed to go home to Arizona in the summer.  I have seen other articles on his depression that Wojo allowed that as he has had to spend so many months far away. 

If I lived in Phoenix and my kid in college was depressed, I sure would like to have him close to me to get him settled.  If I was his coach, I would want him with his parents too.

If this was the reason, and the other players were upset or jealous, they should go cry to their mommy and daddy.  And besides, it isn't Wojo's right to divulge this unless Markus wanted it to be at the time.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2019, 02:35:08 PM »
The letter in question supposedly stated that they were upset that Markus was allowed to go home to Arizona in the summer.  I have seen other articles on his depression that Wojo allowed that as he has had to spend so many months far away. 

If I lived in Phoenix and my kid in college was depressed, I sure would like to have him close to me to get him settled.  If I was his coach, I would want him with his parents too.

If this was the reason, and the other players were upset or jealous, they should go cry to their mommy and daddy.  And besides, it isn't Wojo's right to divulge this unless Markus wanted it to be at the time.
I understand you. Homesickness is a terrible thing, especially with young adults. But herein lies a little problem. We have some people saying he goes home to train with his father and his family team. Now we have some saying he’s going home because of depression. Which is it?

What I am saying, perhaps indelicately, is that there are those people who use issues like depression to get what they want. This is just a fact. I don’t know that he did this, I don’t know that he’s coached differently because of it and I don’t know what the other kids had to go through...if anything to help alleviate his problems.

I do think it’s a little ironic that you suggest the rest of the team go cry to their “mommy and dads” when what you’re saying is that’s exactly what Howard was claiming he needed to do.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
I think it's the contrast between him and Howard. Sam would pass up a good shot to get someone else a great one, but Markus would rather take a questionable shot when a pass would create a good or great one for someone else. I feel like on the court, Sam was very good at doing the little things to help the rest of the team, while Howard was hunting for his own shot. When Howard's shot is falling, it's magical, but when it's not, that acts to the detriment of everyone.

Another thing I've been thinking of is just how good Sam could be in Tony Bennett's system. The pack line doesn't require the same foot-speed as a typical man-to-man. It's more about sticking to your assignments, which Sam is already great at. And he's willing to keep moving the ball until the right look opens up. Joe McCann mentioned on Scrambled Eggs that he thought Sam could be a potential ACC POY at Virginia, and I'm inclined to agree. It isn't just that Virginia's system is perfect for Sam, it's that Sam is perfect for Virginia's system. If anywhere could turn him into a conference POY, All-American, & best highlight the attributes he has that could get him drafted, Virginia is it.

Agree with just about all of this, although ...

I will say that by passing up excellent shots Sam was helping neither his team nor himself.

"I have a wide-open 3 that I make about 70% of the time, and the team sure can use a basket, but I'll pass to Markus ... and then be p-o'ed when Markus shoots, thereby depriving me of a shot."

Seems a little counterproductive.

Oh, and a thing I left out of my previous post is that one of the few things Sam doesn't do well is create his own shot. He usually needs somebody to get the ball to him. Markus could get an open shot that he felt he could make pretty much any time -- that worked well sometimes but was a uh-oh many other times.

But yes, I do agree that Sam has a high hoops IQ, does so many outstanding things on the floor and would be a fine player under Bennett's system, both offensively and defensively.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
Agree with just about all of this, although ...

I will say that by passing up excellent shots Sam was helping neither his team nor himself.

"I have a wide-open 3 that I make about 70% of the time, and the team sure can use a basket, but I'll pass to Markus ... and then be p-o'ed when Markus shoots, thereby depriving me of a shot."

Seems a little counterproductive.

Oh, and a thing I left out of my previous post is that one of the few things Sam doesn't do well is create his own shot. He usually needs somebody to get the ball to him. Markus could get an open shot that he felt he could make pretty much any time -- that worked well sometimes but was a uh-oh many other times.

But yes, I do agree that Sam has a high hoops IQ, does so many outstanding things on the floor and would be a fine player under Bennett's system, both offensively and defensively.
I don’t disagree with this. I can think of many times I was screaming for Sam to be more assertive. There’s a fine line between being unselfish and passive.
No Finish Line

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
Sam played three years at MU.Never said there was a problem the first two years and Rowsey was on team too.If he was unhappy no way Joey shows up here.Year three comes and MU is winning big and not a word.All of a sudden MU loses some games in a row and Sam has a problem.You have one year left and you bail on a preseason top 10 team.I say chicken crap.See ya and don't let the door hit you on way out.I call that selfish

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2019, 02:57:17 PM »
Umm Joey lost minutes to Bailey as the season went on and not just minutes but critical late game minutes so the answer is yes he did. It’s evident by the second part of this post you have a lack of appreciation and understanding for what transpired.

I appreciate exactly what transpired. I am not defending Wojo. All I am stating is that the coach is in charge, not some frustrated players who think they know better, did not get their way, and then decided to bail.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
I understand you. Homesickness is a terrible thing, especially with young adults. But herein lies a little problem. We have some people saying he goes home to train with his father and his family team. Now we have some saying he’s going home because of depression. Which is it?

What I am saying, perhaps indelicately, is that there are those people who use issues like depression to get what they want. This is just a fact. I don’t know that he did this, I don’t know that he’s coached differently because of it and I don’t know what the other kids had to go through...if anything to help alleviate his problems.

I do think it’s a little ironic that you suggest the rest of the team go cry to their “mommy and dads” when what you’re saying is that’s exactly what Howard was claiming he needed to do.

So if you are depressed you can't do other things like work out and work on your game?  Interesting diagnosis.

As to my crying to mommy and daddy comment, I said IF they were told about Markus and they were still jealous of what they termed "special treatment" in February, yeah go cry to mommy and daddy.  Which even more ironically, they did.

Listen, the Hausers are great kids and family.  Sam was asked to play out of position for three years.  Interestingly, the third year was because of his brother.  Go find your happy place.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
So if you are depressed you can't do other things like work out and work on your game?  Interesting diagnosis.

As to my crying to mommy and daddy comment, I said IF they were told about Markus and they were still jealous of what they termed "special treatment" in February, yeah go cry to mommy and daddy.  Which even more ironically, they did.

Listen, the Hausers are great kids and family.  Sam was asked to play out of position for three years.  Interestingly, the third year was because of his brother.  Go find your happy place.
Apparently, some of the players raised a lot of the same questions I have, which is why we are dealing with a borderline scandal.

But I’m sure poor Markus doesn’t know what’s going on...he just gives and gives and gives...until it’s time for tip-off.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2019, 03:16:17 PM »
Apparently, some of the players raised a lot of the same questions I have, which is why we are dealing with a borderline scandal.

But I’m sure poor Markus doesn’t know what’s going on...he just gives and gives and gives...until it’s time for tip-off.

Borderline scandal? Give it a rest.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »

You should've left it at "I don't like how Markus plays" and moved on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:27:24 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »

you are wrong on so many levels with your hot take

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
I know enough about them to realize a guy with anxiety problems ain’t jacking up contested off balance three pointers after missing 14 of his previous 15 shots.

This is laughably inaccurate. Anxiety and depression can manifest in thousands of different ways. I have sleep anxiety to the point that I was prescribed anxiety medication after multiple studies despite never wanting to resort to medication. I literally could not stop myself from looking at the clock and panicking every 5 minutes.

I have no issues performing at my job. I didn't get anxious before tests. I don't have any anxiety if I'm playing basketball and I miss 10 consecutive shots.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
Borderline scandal? Give it a rest.
How about borderline mutiny?

What do you all think is going on?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
I think it's the contrast between him and Howard. Sam would pass up a good shot to get someone else a great one,
That's a nice narrative, but not necessarily true. Many times, he would pass up a good shot, and there would not be a good shot afterwards. If your narrative were true, he would have alot more assists.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
That's a nice narrative, but not necessarily true. Many times, he would pass up a good shot, and there would not be a good shot afterwards. If your narrative were true, he would have alot more assists.

I'm not saying it always resulted in great shots, but the intent that a good shot wasn't good enough. I feel like Sam would pass on good looks hoping the team would get a better look, maybe directly off his pass, or 2-3 passes later. My biggest issue is that it often wasn't a successful approach, and frankly a good shot for Sam is more likely to succeed than great shots for many other players.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback