Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77688 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
I've heard two versions of events, both of which I believe have some elements of truth. There's two sides to the story.

To me, this is the crux of everything. Too many folks want to assess "blame," and then only to their preferred antagonist(s).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #401 on: June 06, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
My theory is they didn’t think Wojo was coaching them well enough/wasn’t a good enough coach.   They ended up with two of the best coaches in CBB.  Also speaks volumes about why they didn’t go to WI. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
My theory is they didn’t think Wojo was coaching them well enough/wasn’t a good enough coach.   They ended up with two of the best coaches in CBB.  Also speaks volumes about why they didn’t go to WI.

My seats are in the corners and give me an "All 22" type view.  I can see a lot that develops and stuff that should develop.  Early on I started to see the 1 on 1 from Markus, while teammates were left open on the wing.  I texted friends after K State and Bucky and said we have issues.  I've long said it isn't that Markus refuses to pass, it is that he can't.  He doesn't see the floor that well.  Sure enough my "All 22" view came to roost.  And then they ended up at two of the Top 5 programs in the country.  What was Wojo's alternative?  Maybe watching more film.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #403 on: June 06, 2019, 09:52:26 AM »
My seats are in the corners and give me an "All 22" type view.  I can see a lot that develops and stuff that should develop.  Early on I started to see the 1 on 1 from Markus, while teammates were left open on the wing.  I texted friends after K State and Bucky and said we have issues.  I've long said it isn't that Markus refuses to pass, it is that he can't.  He doesn't see the floor that well.  Sure enough my "All 22" view came to roost.  And then they ended up at two of the Top 5 programs in the country.  What was Wojo's alternative?  Maybe watching more film.

Or maybe he saw the same thing as you and simply wasn't as concerned because it was working.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #404 on: June 06, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
Great post.

Speaking of film, is he done watching all our games from last year or is hot yoga taking up too much time?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #405 on: June 06, 2019, 10:08:47 AM »

No mention of Joey hitting a wall once February came and having two fouls before the second media timeout in nearly every game? No mention of Sam passing up open looks and instead dribbling sideways because he could never blow by a guy? No mention of Sacar Anim being dynamite in a game and then disappearing for three games? No mention of Markus being injured in March?

Did your "All 22" view miss a few things?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #406 on: June 06, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »

The one in which the guy sitting in the corner seats is sure he understands what's happening on the court better than the coaching staff with 100+ years of professional experience.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »
Great post.

Speaking of film, is he done watching all our games from last year or is hot yoga taking up too much time?

The cancer that made All American.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »

Based on discussions on here by posters that "think they see something", more often than not, they are unaware of the speed, and complexities of the current college game. Times they think a person is open they are not, and the defense is actually sitting on and baiting the pass the viewer thinks is open.

A typical example is on the double team following a pick and roll. Often times it looked like Sam/Joey was wide open. But there was a defender close enough to intercept the only possible pass. It is open if you can get a quick pass there, but that option isn't available, as the big doubling in the middle is sitting on the over the top pass. The only way to get it through is to throw a high arcing pass over the top. If you do that, the help defender likely can get the steal (worst case), or best case, Sam/Joey is guarded tight on the catch.

Watch how Steph throws that pass, typically, very high and arcing, and only when the help defender is out of position. Or much later on the drive, when a player is cutting hard down the lane (Sam and Joey didn't cut hard down the lane). Both are easier to do in the NBA, because the spacing is much better because of an NBA 3-pt line.

That doesn't mean he doesn't miss some open passes, he does, but so does everyone else on the team. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »
No mention of Joey hitting a wall once February came and having two fouls before the second media timeout in nearly every game? No mention of Sam passing up open looks and instead dribbling sideways because he could never blow by a guy? No mention of Sacar Anim being dynamite in a game and then disappearing for three games? No mention of Markus being injured in March?

Did your "All 22" view miss a few things?

Are you suggesting that "The Lens" might be a little out of focus?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
I for one would rather have Markus not making the pass and putting up a shot than I would have Joey making the lazy pass right to the defender for a breakaway dunk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »
Great post.

Workin' on dat knew power point, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
Agreed. The What was Wojo's alternative advocates are pure whiners that do not see that Wojo is in over his head. he never made adjustments and did not get these kids together and on the same page. That is part of his job, and he failed at it. The only way to atone for it as far as the success of the team goes is to bring in equal or better talent to make up for the loss. and he has not done that. And please Wojo excuse makers, do not classify Symir as that talent. He was aleady committed before Hauser gate began.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
The cancer that made All American.....
That’s a perfect description of the 2018-2019 Marquette basketball team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
I for one would rather have Markus not making the pass and putting up a shot than I would have Joey making the lazy pass right to the defender for a breakaway dunk.

When I used to coach my son's 10U team, my philosophy was that any shot was a good shot because it was better than a turnover. I wouldn't think that would have to apply to college men, but down the stretch we had a few players that applied to. Joey definitely was the biggest offender, but Markus sometimes was, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
That’s a perfect description of the 2018-2019 Marquette basketball team.

Cancer is a horrible ravaging disease, friends and family members have died from it.  The '18-'19 Marquette basketball team doesn't fit that description at all, let alone perfectly.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
Cancer is a horrible ravaging disease, friends and family members have died from it.  The '18-'19 Marquette basketball team doesn't fit that description at all, let alone perfectly.
My uncle thought he was St. Jerome.

feedback