[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77609 times)

Marcus92

• All American
What was Wojo's alternative?
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Sam and/or Joey weren't happy with playing secondary roles to Markus within the offense. What exactly was Wojo supposed to do?

Should he have told Markus -- the reigning Big East Player of the Year, and considered one of the 10 best players in all of college basketball -- that he's not welcome back to Marquette for his senior season?

Many place all the blame on Wojo for not properly "managing" the situation. It's certainly the coach's responsibility to make sure players understand what's expected of them, and to build and maintain a cohesive team. But if, for instance, Joey sees himself as an alpha dog and believes the offense should revolve around him, no coach in the world can make him want something different. And no coach in the world would choose Joey as their offensive centerpiece over Markus.

There's obviously reason for concern when two starters decide to leave the program. But it doesn't automatically mean that Wojo mishandled anything. We may never fully know what drove the decision.

I know that's not going to reassure the "fire Wojo" crowd. Frankly, I'm tired of the whole argument. To me, it's irrelevant. I don't see him going anywhere before next season. Sam and Joey are gone, whatever the reasons. I'm more interested in what happens next. Will anyone else transfer? Do we bring in new players? We could learn a lot more about the future of the program in the coming weeks than we have in the past two days.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
Agreed.  Let's start evaluating Wojo on his performance on the court and not the other issues or excuses of the past.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
He really didn’t have an alternative. But he dug his own grave by that point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »
I'm not sure how Wojo dug his own grave. By all accounts I've seen, Sam has been solidly on board with the program up until now. So what changed?

Questioning the offensive scheme isn't so simple. In each of the past three seasons, Marquette has ranked only behind Villanova in the Big East for offensive efficiency (including a Top 10 ranking nationally two years ago). That's a pretty good track record for getting the most out of a team on that end of the court -- while overcoming some clear challenges with roster balance. On top of that, Sam took more threes and more shots overall this season than ever before.

What should Wojo have done differently? Sam chose Marquette more than three years ago and helped recruit his brother to MU so they could play together. A year later, they decide to transfer. What's the wild card? Maybe it's Joey.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 10:26:44 PM »
At the end of the day its Wojo's job to win at a high level. If it's with Housers or walk-ons he just has to win. The rest of this is just reality TV bullcrap. He has more control of MU than anyone by a wide margin.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
I'm not sure how Wojo dug his own grave. By all accounts I've seen, Sam has been solidly on board with the program up until now. So what changed?

Questioning the offensive scheme isn't so simple. In each of the past three seasons, Marquette has ranked only behind Villanova in the Big East for offensive efficiency (including a Top 10 ranking nationally two years ago). That's a pretty good track record for getting the most out of a team on that end of the court -- while overcoming some clear challenges with roster balance. On top of that, Sam took more threes and more shots overall this season than ever before.

What should Wojo have done differently? Sam chose Marquette more than three years ago and helped recruit his brother to MU so they could play together. A year later, they decide to transfer. What's the wild card? Maybe it's Joey.

When Sam developed and proved himself to be a potential star, an All-Conference performer, Wojo could have coached the team to acknowledge this.  An inability, or disinterest, in making Sam anything more than an a wing outlet.  Markus is a phenomenal scorer and a great player, but he had a near historic usage rate.  And given the offense and direction of the team during the slide at the end of the year, there is nothing to insinuate that would have changed next year.

No, you don't banish Markus.  But its a coaches job to manage his star in a way that allows the team to shine the best collectively, which doesn't mean dedicating yourself to the Markus Show at the expense of others.  Sam and Joey likely saw that Wojo didn't have a plan or desire for that, next year would be more 40%+ usage rate basketball with Howard, for better or for worse, and made a choice.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »

Wojo has a history of allowing (encouraging?) "hero" ball. When he did it with Carlino and Ellenson nobody blinked because there wasn't much else on those teams. Two years ago, he had 2 heroes (Rowsey and Markus) and Sam patiently waited. He preferred a more balanced team oriented style but sacrificed. This year they actually had a team, but once Markus had a couple of those 50 point outbursts Wojo either lost control of that concept or actually thought Markus totally dominating the ball was their beast chance to win. Even after they beat Georgetown on the road WITHOUT Markus it didn't sink in for Wojo. And when things started going south and Markus struggled all Wojo did was double down on EXTRA Markus. We lost the Big East, were humiliated in the tourney and along the way Wojo lost the team. Finally, he lost Sam and Joey. What could Wojo have done last week to save this situation? Probably nothing. He had already blown those chances in November, December, January, February and March. Especially in February and March.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:57:48 PM by Lennys Tap »

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:20 PM »
Wojo could’ve very easily sat Markus during the losing streak and would’ve have had (legit) cover with the wrist injury.   Instead, he chose not to tighten the leash as Markus dribbled into double teams, took hero shots and played cowboy ball while Sam and the other players frustratingly looked on.   Had Wojo reined in Markus in the last few games Sam might have recognized Wojo would be willing to establish control in similar situations into next year, should those situations arise.  All trust and credibility was blown and Sam and Joey decided to take their games elsewhere.    Wojo could’ve stopped this dead in its tracks and had the perfect CYA with the injured wrist.   But no, and here we are. 

Logi4three

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:58:59 PM »
Amen Marcus92.  Well said.

I haven't looked at Stats, but the last few games of the year it seemed to me that you could see the frustration on Sam's face that the offense wasn't going more through him and the result was him heaving up bad shots out of frustration.  I felt like he contributed to a lot of empty possessions.  As for Joey, I feel he hit the wall and was making more mistakes than positive contributions (again killing possessions for MU with turnovers or poor shots).  I assumed that Wojo was trying to keep the Hausers (his other stars) happy by continuing to play Joey rather than doing what he normally does which is yank people after a stupid play. 

Let's see what the next move is and get back to living in the here and now.  For the record I loved watching all those kids and certainly respect the Hauser's ability to do what they feel is right for them.  I don't agree with it and it does not make sense to me, but let's get the next men up and kick some a$$ next year.  (Preemptory "shh!" to anyone who interprets these comments as unfair negative criticism to "kids"... I am not tweeting negative comments to them or bad mouthing them.  To the contrary, I believe they are great kids and thank them for their contributions to MUBB, just stating an observation regarding the MU basketball program).   

connie

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:04:23 PM »
He should have re-programmed your simulation.  That is the only way to beat the Kobayashi Maru you present.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 11:08:19 PM by connie »
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »
Wojo could’ve very easily sat Markus during the losing streak and would’ve have had (legit) cover with the wrist injury.   Instead, he chose not to tighten the leash as Markus dribbled into double teams, took hero shots and played cowboy ball while Sam and the other players frustratingly looked on.   Had Wojo reined in Markus in the last few games Sam might have recognized Wojo would be willing to establish control in similar situations into next year, should those situations arise.  All trust and credibility was blown and Sam and Joey decided to take their games elsewhere.    Wojo could’ve stopped this dead in its tracks and had the perfect CYA with the injured wrist.   But no, and here we are.

An interesting argument. Maybe in hindsight this works but I think conventional wisdom says that when you are playing for a conference title and high seed you don't sit your All American if he's cleared to play.

That being said, it is clear that the right buttons were not pushed from February 27th to April 15th. Wojo will learn from it or he will be gone.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:34 PM »
Don't see too many Star Trek references on Scoop. Nice one.

Maybe another point to consider is what Markus takes away from the whole situation. He's improved as a player every year -- becoming the first consensus All-American at MU since Jae Crowder. But the truly great players find ways to make everyone around them better. That might be his biggest challenge now.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »
Don't see too many Star Trek references on Scoop. Nice one.

Maybe another point to consider is what Markus takes away from the whole situation. He's improved as a player every year -- becoming the first consensus All-American at MU since Jae Crowder. But the truly great players find ways to make everyone around them better. That might be his biggest challenge now.
Agreed. I know Markus is smart enough to see his All American status is based on the first 27 games, not the last 7. This team was in desperate need of either:
1. someone else who can create his own shot, or
2. a better offensive scheme.

Hopefully its both, or Wojo is gone after this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
Wojo should have forced Grimes to Marquette or willed Chartouny to be the pass-first PG last year's team needed.    With a pass first PG who could break down defenses, everybody would have gotten their shots.     Wojo took what he had, a team without guards, and made Markus the defacto PG, even thought the only thing about his game that said PG was his stature.    He had no choice.    So MU had a shoot first, second, third player running the point.    And it worked until said player's shot stopped falling.    Of course, the two guys who left also saw their shot stop falling at the same time. 

Could Wojo have retooled his offense?   Sure.   Like Knight did for Steve Alford.    Or Dale Brown for Machmoud Abdul-Rauf.    Painter sure let Edwards take a lot of shots.      It could have been more egalitarian, but it would have required somebody else to run the point.   And there was no one else.    Sure, Sam did a nice job against Georgetown and Sacar managed to dribble the ball up the floor without hurting himself, but no one can say that Sacar initiated offense. 

In the end, Wojo played the cards he had.   The result is that two players are leaving because they did not like their usage, or the usage of Markus. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
He really didn’t have an alternative. But he dug his own grave by that point.

No Wojo did not. The Hausers saying they wanted to be more of a focus and/or playing without MH or they were leaving is an ultimatum. This didn’t happen overnight, it goes back to last season and the talk of quitting if Markus comes back at least a couple of weeks.

Was Wojo supposed to push Markus out? Is he supposed to hypnotize the Hauser family? Of course not.
We Are Marquette

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Wojo should have forced Grimes to Marquette or willed Chartouny to be the pass-first PG last year's team needed.    With a pass first PG who could break down defenses, everybody would have gotten their shots.     Wojo took what he had, a team without guards, and made Markus the defacto PG, even thought the only thing about his game that said PG was his stature.    He had no choice.    So MU had a shoot first, second, third player running the point.    And it worked until said player's shot stopped falling.    Of course, the two guys who left also saw their shot stop falling at the same time. 

Could Wojo have retooled his offense?   Sure.   Like Knight did for Steve Alford.    Or Dale Brown for Machmoud Abdul-Rauf.    Painter sure let Edwards take a lot of shots.      It could have been more egalitarian, but it would have required somebody else to run the point.   And there was no one else.    Sure, Sam did a nice job against Georgetown and Sacar managed to dribble the ball up the floor without hurting himself, but no one can say that Sacar initiated offense. 

In the end, Wojo played the cards he had.   The result is that two players are leaving because they did not like their usage, or the usage of Markus.

Your defense of Wojo is now a desperate dive into the obtuse.

Who, exactly, is responsible for building the team?

"Marquette couldn't win because the team didn't have a PG!"

Yea. Ok. Asserting that as a defense is not just imperceptive but one of the most doltish comments ever made on Scoop. 

You are now merely throwing out words.

And the Hausers are not leaving solely on dissatisfaction with how they are being employed. The situation is far more more nuanced.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »

C'mon, Tower. You're talking like Wojo walked in off the street to coach this team back in October.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:13 AM »

Was Wojo supposed to push Markus out? Is he supposed to hypnotize the Hauser family? Of course not.

No, just rein him in.   If he is forcing bad shots and not playing within the offense, all Wojo has to do is have him take a seat.   How do you bench an all-american?  You're the coach, it's your ass on the line.   You just do.   If you need an excuse, blame the wrist.   Would anyone here dispute that Markus' wrist injury actually was affecting his game?  You have all the cover you need.   This way the Hausers know that they can trust Wojo in the future.   
I think it was the SH game at the garden, Sam was white hot and hitting everything within the offense, Markus comes back in after another wrist injury and starts throwing up cowboy shots missing everything.  So how does Sam respond?   Doing the same, probably thinking that if anyone is going to be putting up garbage it might as well be him, the guy who was hitting everything earlier.   You could sense the frustration.   Obviously I don't know what is going on in Sam's head, but had Wojo demonstrated an ability or even a willingness to rein in Markus, I am guessing the Hausers would still be here.   

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
No Wojo did not. The Hausers saying they wanted to be more of a focus and/or playing without MH or they were leaving is an ultimatum. This didn’t happen overnight, it goes back to last season and the talk of quitting if Markus comes back at least a couple of weeks.

He was supposed to clearly define a role for them within the team concept.  He was supposed to handle Markus better so the ball kept moving.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 08:02:26 AM »

And the Hausers are not leaving solely on dissatisfaction with how they are being employed. The situation is far more more nuanced.

Having your feelings hurt and quitting because your coach told you didn’t play with enough heart shows......a lack of heart.

I sincerely wish them well. Great players, seemed like decent guys. I also wish they stayed. The grass isn’t always  greener and I fear for them that’s what they’ll find. On some level this is another example of why players shouldn’t “stay home” for college or play in home city as a pro. Too many people in your ear.
We Are Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:17 AM »
Having your feelings hurt and quitting because your coach told you didn’t play with enough heart shows......a lack of heart.

I sincerely wish them well. Great players, seemed like decent guys. I also wish they stayed. The grass isn’t always  greener and I fear for them that’s what they’ll find. On some level this is another example of why players shouldn’t “stay home” for college or play in home city as a pro. Too many people in your ear.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »

I agree that Wojo played the cards he had, no doubt about that.  But let's not act like he isn't responsible for putting together the deck of cards that he was playing with.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 08:08:14 AM »
Let's assume for the sake of argument that Sam and/or Joey weren't happy with playing secondary roles to Markus within the offense. What exactly was Wojo supposed to do?

Should he have told Markus -- the reigning Big East Player of the Year, and considered one of the 10 best players in all of college basketball -- that he's not welcome back to Marquette for his senior season?

Many place all the blame on Wojo for not properly "managing" the situation. It's certainly the coach's responsibility to make sure players understand what's expected of them, and to build and maintain a cohesive team. But if, for instance, Joey sees himself as an alpha dog and believes the offense should revolve around him, no coach in the world can make him want something different. And no coach in the world would choose Joey as their offensive centerpiece over Markus.

There's obviously reason for concern when two starters decide to leave the program. But it doesn't automatically mean that Wojo mishandled anything. We may never fully know what drove the decision.

I know that's not going to reassure the "fire Wojo" crowd. Frankly, I'm tired of the whole argument. To me, it's irrelevant. I don't see him going anywhere before next season. Sam and Joey are gone, whatever the reasons. I'm more interested in what happens next. Will anyone else transfer? Do we bring in new players? We could learn a lot more about the future of the program in the coming weeks than we have in the past two days.
I'm not in the fire Wojo camp, and there isn't a whole lot he could have done about this in April 2019.  But he is the most responsible for this.  He is paying for what he currently believes and has believed as a coach.  He believes in letting his best player dominate the ball and that when your best player shoots it is a good possession.  Not installing a team offense where ball movement is a priority.  I think when you are at our level, where your stars are not can't miss NBA guys, you need a PG who will get everybody involved.  There is a price for not having one of those.  You can say he tried and JC didn't turn out to be that guy, but this is something that should be planned for years ahead.

I think Wojo learned a hard lesson this season.  I still think he is going to end up a good D-1 coach, but more and more I get the feeling it won't be here.

Finally, the older I get, the more I appreciate how difficult the job of an NCAA coach is in the current world.  You have to balance the need to win with the career ambitions of your players.  Al McGuire cared about his guys, but mostly as far as basketball is concerned his only worry was winning games.  With the high transfer rate, it becomes much more difficult to keep those glue guys happy and in one place.  Especially when you haven't built up some equity in your coaching prowess.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »

Spatial separation from the old man will help the brothers grow. (They should not go to Madison for many reasons but getting room to figure out things out for themselves is in some ways the biggest...)

But the parental dislike of Wojo is not without significant merit.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 08:12:43 AM »
This whole thing smells like outside influences to me i.e. parents and others interfering. I'm putting it on the boys for leaving, not the coach. I'd understand if they were taking a shot at going pro, but not for how they were used. You gotta earn the minutes and "focus" you get on the team. Howard is simply a better player right now. That said, they are a critical part of the team and have their roles. So get better if you want to be the focus, but don't quit.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:15:00 AM by Ruby »

feedback