[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 76912 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2019, 06:54:36 AM »
Y'all are misunderstanding the Wojo to Dukiet comparison. No on the court similarities, at all. Simply, Steve has the potential to take this program to the dark depths that Bob did when he left decades ago. Let's see who he brings in to fill the roster now, at this late stage of the recruiting season for 2019.
we're being relegated from the Big East to the Missouri Valley Conference?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
Y'all are misunderstanding the Wojo to Dukiet comparison. No on the court similarities, at all. Simply, Steve has the potential to take this program to the dark depths that Bob did when he left decades ago. Let's see who he brings in to fill the roster now, at this late stage of the recruiting season for 2019.

Oh. Thanks for explaining. It's still a silly comparison.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
Dukiet was the low point.   Wojo's teams have gotten steadily better over his tenure.  The comparison is absurd.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2019, 08:00:21 AM »
Yeah that's still a terrible comparison.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
Lotta golf yet ta bee played, hey?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:58:05 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »

Wojo plays the piano??

You're really comparing a coach those high point was recruiting Trevor Powell, with one that JUST had a top 25 team and a Big East Player of the Year?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:06 AM »

Wojo plays the piano??

You're really comparing a coach those high point was recruiting Trevor Powell, with one that JUST had a top 25 team and a Big East Player of the Year?

I'd say that's only the 2nd highest point.  The first was convincing Tony Smith to honor his commitment.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
Gotta golf yet ta bee played, hey?

Already accomplished more.  The comparison was over year 3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2019, 12:30:26 AM »
HE DIDN'T HAVE ONE....that is what I been trying to say!

Not if he wanted to win... it just came down to players allowing outside influences to come between them and the big picture instead of working it out and sticking as one to get it done, instead of worrying about touches and shots...

When you are a 'one man team' and that one man is an All American and an elite scorer  as there is in the country, and you are winning with that set-up, the other guys have to buy in and not play Aaron Rodgers and sabotage the rest of the season because they are made over not getting enough of the love.

A weak PG is this teams problem. . . not a bad coach. It's won on the floor. The guy who should have been off the ball was with the ball and on the ball way too much but you had no choice...because jump shooters dont get it done in college basketball.

Scorers do and those who can also dish and pass and lead. Our guy could do only 2 or the 3...passing, court vision, ball handling and court and skill awareness and TRUST of your teammates [which is mature Leadership] was missing at times.

Sometimes a guy can think he is so good he don't have to trust others and or he is trusting himself more than others and the right play, if they think they are the right play. . .
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:39:45 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2019, 12:43:34 AM »
Can’t wojo nix the move to Madison?  Buzz released Maymon to any school EXCEPT big east
No....Wisconsin is in the Big 10 not the Big East...

So no, he can't. And why should he?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #285 on: April 28, 2019, 02:00:06 PM »
ND sucks

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »
Goal is National Championship

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »
So, if the latest version of 'the letter' is to be believed...  the rift between Joey and Markus.... penning a letter that no other teammates signed... shoving match post Murray State (which has been referenced before)..... Joey not coming back if Markus did...... back to the original question.     What was Wojo's alternative?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2019, 10:23:30 PM »
So, if the latest version of 'the letter' is to be believed...  the rift between Joey and Markus.... penning a letter that no other teammates signed... shoving match post Murray State (which has been referenced before)..... Joey not coming back if Markus did...... back to the original question.     What was Wojo's alternative?

Recruit higher character players that dont whine so much.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
Recruit higher character players that dont whine so much.

The highest rated players are also the ones that expect to play and have rarely had to deal with adversity in their high school careers.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2019, 11:21:31 PM »
I'm neutral on the Wojo issue, but dissatisfaction with the coach and other issues of discontent are not unusual in sports.  Those who are old enough remember when Jim Ringo, all-pro center for the Packers went into Coach Lombardi's office during salary negotiations, and announced that he had an agent and further talk would have to be with him. Lombardi excused himself for a moment, and returned to tell Ringo that it didn't matter because he had just been traded to Philadelphia. Wojo is no Lombardi, but unhappiness is universal.
PS Would someone please tell me how to post on this board when there are no choices below the text in boxes.

panda

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
You know what I want????

I WANT TO KNOW WHY I HAD TO GO TO THE...FREAKING...DODDS...BOARD...TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LETTER.

What do I want?

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.  REFUND MY SUBSCRIPTION NOW PLUS 25%! NOW!

Sorry - I will be here for the next one. Hopefully with better news!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
Operating under the premise that the letter narrative and the willing to return if Markus left narrative are accurate in their themes,  then Wojo's biggest mistake was letting the Hausers remain on the team.   If, indeed, the letter arrived after two losses to take the team to 23-6, and if, indeed, it had been shared with teammates prior to delivery to Wojo (they either signed it or encouraged the Hausers not to deliver it) then the Hausers essentially torpedoed the rest of the season.    Wojo should have thrown their butts off the team immediately.   Pulled Greg's redshirt.   

I usually try to take 'Marquette' out of my reasoning process when an situation happens at Marquette.    How would I react if the exact same thing happened at (not Marquette)?     If I heard that two starters went to complain to the coach about the offense at 23-6.   That they went to complain about a team captain, conference player of the year, second team all american dominating the ball, I would expect that the coach would suspend them.     I would expect that they would not have the option to return if the aforementioned player went pro.   

After beating #1 Villanova, the team went into a swoon.    With a week without games coming up, Wojo announced that every position was up for grabs and would be determined by effort in practice.    Heldt began starting after that week.   JjJ was DNP-CD because he showed up late for practice.     Wojo did the right thing then.    I am disappointed he pulled his punches with the Hausers.   

It boggles my mind that anybody is taking the Hausers' side in this.  They left.   Apparently because they felt they could no longer co-exist with Markus.   Who stayed.   Assuming that the letter and the willingness to stay if Markus narrative are essentially accurate, how can they possibly be seen as the good guys?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #294 on: June 02, 2019, 10:44:18 AM »
Operating under the premise that the letter narrative and the willing to return if Markus left narrative are accurate in their themes,  then Wojo's biggest mistake was letting the Hausers remain on the team.   If, indeed, the letter arrived after two losses to take the team to 23-6, and if, indeed, it had been shared with teammates prior to delivery to Wojo (they either signed it or encouraged the Hausers not to deliver it) then the Hausers essentially torpedoed the rest of the season.    Wojo should have thrown their butts off the team immediately.   Pulled Greg's redshirt.   

I usually try to take 'Marquette' out of my reasoning process when an situation happens at Marquette.    How would I react if the exact same thing happened at (not Marquette)?     If I heard that two starters went to complain to the coach about the offense at 23-6.   That they went to complain about a team captain, conference player of the year, second team all american dominating the ball, I would expect that the coach would suspend them.     I would expect that they would not have the option to return if the aforementioned player went pro.   

After beating #1 Villanova, the team went into a swoon.    With a week without games coming up, Wojo announced that every position was up for grabs and would be determined by effort in practice.    Heldt began starting after that week.   JjJ was DNP-CD because he showed up late for practice.     Wojo did the right thing then.    I am disappointed he pulled his punches with the Hausers.   

It boggles my mind that anybody is taking the Hausers' side in this.  They left.   Apparently because they felt they could no longer co-exist with Markus.   Who stayed.   Assuming that the letter and the willingness to stay if Markus narrative are essentially accurate, how can they possibly be seen as the good guys?

Who knows if that narrative is accurate, though?  No one.  The only side I’m on is that it was Wojo’s job to keep the roster together and manage egos, and he couldn’t do it.  That’s one of the reasons he’s paid the big bucks.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2019, 10:49:56 AM »
Maybe the best way to manage the egos is to let them walk.

The inmates never get to run the asylum.

And if you read a similar story about any other school, would you blame the coach or the players?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:59:20 AM by tower912 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
Who knows if that narrative is accurate, though?  No one.  The only side I’m on is that it was Wojo’s job to keep the roster together and manage egos, and he couldn’t do it.  That’s one of the reasons he’s paid the big bucks.

Sometimes it is impossible....there is a reason why 800 players transfer a year now.  You can wish for unicorns all you want, and maybe more could have been done, but this is how it is in this sport now.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
Amen Tower. If that was indeed the scenario,
 I agree fully.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Who knows if that narrative is accurate, though?  No one.  The only side I’m on is that it was Wojo’s job to keep the roster together and manage egos, and he couldn’t do it. That’s one of the reasons he’s paid the big bucks.

If you're grading NCAA basketball coaches on keeping the roster together then failing in that regard is the norm. Happens to 80% of the programs every April.

Also, don't conflate keeping an ego happy with dancing on eggshells around discontent.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #299 on: June 02, 2019, 12:26:53 PM »
The easy and obvious counter argument is that, other than timing, what is the difference between the Hausers telling Wojo they don't want to stay in that offense and a recruit rejecting Wisconsin because they don't want to play slowly in the swing? 

feedback