[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2019  (Read 46671 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Golf 2019
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »
Hopefully, the high prices cut into beer money.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2019, 05:33:24 PM »
Update:

Official Ryder Cup resale site has Friday Tix listed at 427.50/person and Saturday at $450/person.

What a f*cking kick in the dick. Fu*k you PGA/USGA

This is all on the PGA.  USGA does a good job with their ticket packages.  I did Pebble this year and it was a great experience.  Erin Hills was, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
Update:

Official Ryder Cup resale site has Friday Tix listed at 427.50/person and Saturday at $450/person.

Last week, weren't we just talking about them not restricting ticket sales at all? How did we get to the point where the public sale was basically illusory and the only tickets now are at a 2x face markup?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2019, 08:10:10 PM »
Last week, weren't we just talking about them not restricting ticket sales at all? How did we get to the point where the public sale was basically illusory and the only tickets now are at a 2x face markup?

2x? Try almost 3.

Semantics, mostly. It's a gross situation. The PGA should be appalled. But as long As long as their corporate sponsors and boomers are happy, they don't care. Why try and make this event enticing/affordable for younger generations (who they will need in the future to survive)?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
Shaft in wedges is negligible if anything.

Agree
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »
A good, stiff shaft is neva negligible, aina
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
A good, stiff shaft is neva negligible, aina

Except in a wedgie

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
BMW had a drawing for owners in early September.  Got four for Saturday.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2019, 08:15:48 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go/who to see for lessons in Chicagoland? Preferably on the Northside or Northern burbs.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go/who to see for lessons in Chicagoland? Preferably on the Northside or Northern burbs.

https://www.championways.com/kiel-alderink

🏀

• All American
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2019, 07:31:17 AM »
Big Cat alert.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
In praise of fall golf and cheap golf balls...

I pull up to my favorite course.    The only other car in the parking lot I recognize as that of the lady who works the counter.     IMHO opinion, this is a true hidden gem, a course that I know has improved my game by playing it so much.    $20 to walk.   I had already gone through my golf balls and had found the cheapest things I had found during the year.    Laddies, Warbirds, Wilson 50s, Nike PD Long, Taylor Made Burner.... I don't like these balls usually, but with all of the orange, red and yellow leaves, it will be just as easy to find the white ones as the brightly colored ones I like to use. 
   42 degrees and misting a little.    Doing the math in my head about how far the ball will probably carry today and trying to figure out whether it is a one or two club difference.     Who cares?   Scorecard?    I don't need no stinking scorecard.    I know all of the yardages.     First swing of the day, don't even need a breakfast ball, and I start my walk.    The leaves are at their peak.    The wind is calm.    The windshirt over the sweater should keep me from hypothermia. 
  3 holes in and I realize I haven't missed a shot yet with this Nike.   Flying high and straight.    Maybe I have been unfair in my assessment.      Then I hit a beautiful 6 iron from 150 and the ball hits 3 feet from the pin and runs out 20 feet on a soggy green.   Oh, yeah, that is why I hated these things.    Ah, well, two more putts and another par. 
    The walk is exercise and therapy.    I can feel whatever is stressing me melt away as I walk down the fairways, breathe deeply and admire the foliage.    The shooting range across the street is in use.    Somebody is unloading a lot of ammo in preparation for deer hunting season.    Like any other noise, if you are expecting it, it just fades into the background.  Good luck to them.     I carry on political arguments in my head for a while, arguing both sides of the gun issue.    As always, I try to come up with an angle I haven't before or a new metaphor.    Nothing like finding new phraseology for an old problem.    I move on to the next hole, chuckling to myself that I once again have failed to solve anything.
   Why can't I putt?    Forever, I seem to do better chipping from the fringe from 30 feet than I do putting on the green from 30 feet.    What am I doing wrong?  It isn't like I am 3 putting, I just seem to hole more chips than I do long putts.     Stupid game.     Hey, what am I shooting.     Holy crap, 8 holes in and even.  I look at my watch.    And I have just played the first 8 in an hour walking.    Hot damn!     Maybe I have been wasting my time with expensive golf balls.    This Laddie is kicking ass. 
    Shoot, first bad swing of the day.    That one isn't coming back out of those leaf covered woods.    Screw it, it was only a Diablo.     Next.     I hate this hole.   It has never fit my eye for my tee shot.    Ah, well, its only a Warbird.    Hey, I actually hit the fairway for about the second time in 25 tries on this hole this year.     Which I follow with laying the sod over a 6.    And again.    Third time is the charm.    The Nike!   Yeah, that's it.    The Nike is invincible!     Man, these trees are beautiful.     What was bothering me this morning?    Oh, that.    Meh, I got it.   
   Climbing the big hill on 18.    It raises 80 feet from tee to green.     I can never figure out how much club to add for my approach to that shallow green.    They really need to shave the bank behind the green so you can just throw it into that back hill and let it come back, but they never do.      So now I have to chip from 5 ft above the surface of the green to a pin 35 feet away with a false front 3 feet beyond it.     What?!?  I left it short?     Tap in for bogey on 18 in 2:25 from when I started.   8000 steps.     My mind and soul are cleansed and I am at peace with everybody.    I only lost the one ball.    Why can't I ever lose these old Nikes and Laddies and Wilsons?     I can lose ProV1's like nothing.       
    Breathing deep because the snow is coming and soon if I want to hit it will be off of mats.     I love golf.   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:45:59 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
Tower.... Cedar Chase Golf Club?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
Tower.... Cedar Chase Golf Club?
Yes.   Amazing.   How did you know?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2019, 12:45:51 PM »
Yes.   Amazing.   How did you know?

Haha, it was your wonderful description. Mostly the gun range and the 18th hole. Without a doubt, the definition of a hidden-gem. I find the back 9 very, very challenging.

I play it every year when I go to Grand Rapids. Play Cedar in the morning, then hit Pilgrim's Run in the afternoon. Just a great day of golf.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2019, 01:19:38 PM »
Love the tee shot on 18 at Pilgrims Run.  That IS a good day of golf.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:45:10 PM by tower912 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2019, 07:29:31 AM »
On Tuesday I was hanging out at my local golf shop and range. Hitting the MP-20s with different shafts on the Trackman.

Three Titleist reps come in to setup the new T-series cart and promotions. We discussed the MP-20s and their new irons. One of the reps starts telling me about working with Tiger back before the Nike days and gIves this great story.

Tiger is working relentlessly on the range, four straight hours hitting ball after ball. Finally, Tiger decides to break for lunch. Tiger tells the group, we're going to Arby's. They get into Arby’s, everyone orders and Tiger is picking up the bill, which was strange enough. Tiger reaches into a little bag he had with him and takes a mailer of Arby's coupons out of his pocket. Tiger insisted on paying since the coupons expried the next day.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:44 AM »
Eldrick is notoriously tight with a buck.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
Eldrick is notoriously tight with a buck.

Well known, but the Arby's just makes you feel what it's like when worlds collide.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2019, 06:32:20 AM »
On Tuesday I was hanging out at my local golf shop and range. Hitting the MP-20s with different shafts on the Trackman.

Three Titleist reps come in to setup the new T-series cart and promotions. We discussed the MP-20s and their new irons. One of the reps starts telling me about working with Tiger back before the Nike days and gIves this great story.

Tiger is working relentlessly on the range, four straight hours hitting ball after ball. Finally, Tiger decides to break for lunch. Tiger tells the group, we're going to Arby's. They get into Arby’s, everyone orders and Tiger is picking up the bill, which was strange enough. Tiger reaches into a little bag he had with him and takes a mailer of Arby's coupons out of his pocket. Tiger insisted on paying since the coupons expried the next day.

Jeez, what some people do to get an competitive advantage over others🤓

🏀

• All American
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2019, 09:04:45 AM »
Rory's coming for #1.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »