'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset  (Read 49289 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2018, 01:15:50 PM »
Nice. Another thread highjacked by lil ners

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
If I see the word "cupboard" in this thread I swear to God I will hunt down Topper's secret server bunker and nuke it into oblivion!

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
If you think so, more power to you.  you said that clunkers were okay if we have the same postseason success as Buzz.  We have.  Your argument just fell apart, your welcome.

Jesus.  You took MuMark's illogical argument, and took it to an even more illogical place.

More power to you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:43 PM »
And btw - TAMU's attempt to assert the above was wrong - he used the  2016 team's final season ranking.  The post I quoted was from November of 2016, when we were ranked 31 at time of the game, and finished the year at 32 (so you need to look at 2017 ranking.)  But again, I understand the grasping at straws effort our most patient fans have, to support the performance thus far.

You said you've been saying since 2015 that we would be in the same place with Wojo. Not 2016.

Here was what I responded to.

Hey pud!  I'm fully aware.  Fully aware dating back to 2015 that we'd be in this same spot with Wojo at the helm.  But knock yourself out.  Keep #respectingtheprocess to mediocrity.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:06:19 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2018, 01:34:32 PM »
I disagree. We looked very good against UMBC and Bethune Cookman. I'd also argue we looked good against Presbyterian but couldn't buy a shot. I think we started the game 2/17 on bunnies and unguarded jump shots.

Defense has looked much better to start the season. No comparison to last season, the problem of course being that in the one game against a quality team it looked exactly like last season. If that's who we really are then we are in trouble. I don't think that is true but could absolutely be wrong.

I think the reason people think "we haven't looked good" is the offense. We have been spoiled the past two seasons with elite level offense. This year it looks like we are going to instead have a very good offense. Because we are comparing it to past seasons we think the offense is terrible. If we compared it against other teams we would think differently.

Respectfully disagree.  Think D has looked better, but it would be nearly impossible to not improve.  Offense has looked super gross. 

As a whole, I was not impressed at all with UMBC or Bethune Cookman performances. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
You said you've been saying since 2015 that we would be in the same place with Wojo. Not 2016.

You're being obtuse TAMU.  The thread I recycled about Wade's cheesy:  #respecttheprocess was post Michigan debacle in November of 2016 - to which I said same sh$t different year after our Indiana loss.  Here we are 2 years later going into an early season game, thinking we stand a good chance/comparably ranked/regarded and get our doors blown off. 

The point in referencing 2015 is that it was Wojo's first year on the job, and I've been consistent since that time saying he doesn't have "it."

But if you want to be obtuse about it, it appears we reached the high water mark under Wojo in Year 3, and we regressed from 32 to 53 in spite of Wojo finally having "all his guys."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »
I'm not being obtuse. Here what you said

Hey pud!  I'm fully aware.  Fully aware dating back to 2015 that we'd be in this same spot with Wojo at the helm.  But knock yourself out.  Keep #respectingtheprocess to mediocrity.

We have improved since 2015. That was my only point. If you want to amend your post to 2016 then you may end up being correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
It's too easy with you DJOover.  At least my other haters here can put forth some shred of a competent counterpoint/make their case in a respectable manner.

Nobody hates you Ners.  I actually don't think most people hate your opinions.  Others share similar opinions as well.

People don't like how you act.  I'm sorry that you are having trouble seeing that.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
If you think so, more power to you.  you said that clunkers were okay if we have the same postseason success as Buzz.  We have.  Your argument just fell apart, your welcome.
To me this feels like grasping at straws to somehow equate Wojo and Buzz as coaches. Simply put Buzz has a verifiable success record, makes more money, has longer term job security and is winning at a school with very little history of success. There is not an AD in America that would pick Wojo over Buzz to be their coach.
That said, Wojo can change all that. I hope he does. MU gives coaches great resources to win and many MU coaches have had great success. I can't name one thing that Wojo does not have to build a great program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2018, 04:07:50 PM »
Comparing Buzz with Wojo is really foolish.  Buzz is clearly the more accomplished head coach.  Even Wojo would admit that.

That being said, he is going to need to do more than he has so far to be still mentioned among the "hot" coaches.  A couple mid-place finishes and a tourney win isn't going to do that.  My guess is that if he doesn't take that next step in the next couple of years, he may look for greener pastures.  Unless of course he is happy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
To me this feels like grasping at straws to somehow equate Wojo and Buzz as coaches. Simply put Buzz has a verifiable success record, makes more money, has longer term job security and is winning at a school with very little history of success. There is not an AD in America that would pick Wojo over Buzz to be their coach.
That said, Wojo can change all that. I hope he does. MU gives coaches great resources to win and many MU coaches have had great success. I can't name one thing that Wojo does not have to build a great program.

Don't get me wrong, if we were to play VT on a neutral court, I think we would be the dogs, and deservedly so, but at the end of the day, postseason success is what a lot of people look at, and Buzz has the same number of NCAA wins at VT that Wojo has at MU.  Also, given Buzzs "history" with AD's and Presidents (some of which was no fault of his own), I think there would be some AD's out there that would take Wojo.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
If I see the word "cupboard" in this thread I swear to God I will hunt down Topper's secret server bunker and nuke it into oblivion!

Cupboard
Goal is National Championship

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
Cupboard

What’s more grating—Ners or anti-Ners reaction.  Discuss...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:26:51 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »
What’s more grating—Ners or anti-Ners reactio.  Discuss...

This is a question 4never or rocket should answer....what is worse for their patients...a root canal, or waiting too long for a root canal?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »
You're being obtuse TAMU.  The thread I recycled about Wade's cheesy:  #respecttheprocess was post Michigan debacle in November of 2016 - to which I said same sh$t different year after our Indiana loss.  Here we are 2 years later going into an early season game, thinking we stand a good chance/comparably ranked/regarded and get our doors blown off. 

The point in referencing 2015 is that it was Wojo's first year on the job, and I've been consistent since that time saying he doesn't have "it."

But if you want to be obtuse about it, it appears we reached the high water mark under Wojo in Year 3, and we regressed from 32 to 53 in spite of Wojo finally having "all his guys."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
To the casual fan, if MU wins the Big East they’re wearing Big East Champs shirts for the next 8 years. I agree - Woj can buy a name brand winter coat if they won BE.

Wood dat bee Canada Goose or Moncler, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
I'm guessing the 2 points that Loyola (MD) received were intended for Loyola-Chicago?

And not the team that is 1-3 that includes a home loss to Dartmouth

Or Loyola-Marymount that is 5-0 and beat UNLV and Georgetown.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »
This is a question 4never or rocket should answer....what is worse for their patients...a root canal, or waiting too long for a root canal?

Definitely, waitin' two long is worse. Root canals ain't no big thang, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »

Correct.  I've had three without issue.

Bad tooth far worse.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »
I chipped a tiny piece off of a ceramic restoration and my dentist is trying to tell me I need a crown now.

I am getting a second opinion.  This guy's practice has fallen off in the past few years, and I think he just needs the revenue.  Even the hygienist gave him some side eye when he made his recommendation.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »

always wondered why root canals get a bad rap...but even i can't watch this one
don't...don't don't don't don't

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:39 PM »
I chipped a tiny piece off of a ceramic restoration and my dentist is trying to tell me I need a crown now.

I am getting a second opinion.  This guy's practice has fallen off in the past few years, and I think he just needs the revenue.  Even the hygienist gave him some side eye when he made his recommendation.

Chick throwing some shade at 4ever.  Boom!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
Chick throwing some shade at 4ever.  Boom!

Like I would let that guy anywhere near my mouth.

I am not going to hand my pharmacist a prescription that says, "She kneads a cuppla Vike-oh-dinn, hey?"
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2018, 07:21:38 AM »
Trust me on this one. While I totally enjoy all the finer things life has to offer, nothing of mine wants to come anywhere near your mouth.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:28:30 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Please learn to read.  "BuzzhasthesamenumberofNCAAwinsatVTthatWojohas"

If you want to compare different schools, I think Wojo might have a couple of Duke rings lying around for you.

You know who else has some rings laying around? The janitors at Gillette Stadium. Should the Browns look to hire those guys?

Duke was successful before his arrival as a player or coach, and they have continued to be successful after his departure. Wojo has obviously been a part of some very good teams, but until he takes the next step on his own as a head coach, I don't think you can really give him that kind of credit just for having been on the staff.

feedback