Maximilian Langenfeld by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:30:29 PM]

Academic All Americans by Jay Bee
[Today at 08:29:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset  (Read 49284 times)

tower912

• All American
Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Furman 76- Villanova 68.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Some ranked teams didn't dodge the upset
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
Wow!  Looks like Villanova’s leaking a little oil, ein’a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
Ranking teams before December is silly, Nova is clearly not a top 25 team.

The bigger outlook here is the BE is down this year, and is there for the taking. This either makes Woj’s job way easier, or ramps up the pressure even more.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
  Jays probably not subbing correctly 😜

connie

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
Ha! ;D
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »
Ranking teams before December is silly, Nova is clearly not a top 25 team.

The bigger outlook here is the BE is down this year, and is there for the taking. This either makes Woj’s job way easier, or ramps up the pressure even more.

Regardless of how good or bad the BE is, winning that ain’t gonna necessarily save wojo.  We’ve got to go deep into the big dance man. Gotta go big or go...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »

Too much, too little, the wrong people, sitting 5 star freshmen.    Man clearly can't coach. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:59:06 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
Superbar

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 06:59:08 PM »
Regardless of how good or bad the BE is, winning that ain’t gonna necessarily save wojo.  We’ve got to go deep into the big dance man. Gotta go big or go...

If Wojo wins the BE the temperature on his seat goes to near zero.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 07:04:21 PM »
Villanova won their second championship in 3 years last year and made the NCAA tournament the last 6 years.  Their roster was gutted this year with 4 of their players going to the NBA.  They are not a good team and should not be ranked.

We have not had their success the last 6 years.  We did not have our roster gutted this past year with players going to the NBA.  We are not a good team and should not be ranked.  Its kind of sad.....no?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »
What? MU wins the BE.....and Wojo is losing his job? You may want a BE champ to go deep in the tourney.....but he’s not losing his job. Cmon now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:35:27 PM by We R Final Four »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »

If Wojo wins the BE the temperature on his seat goes to near zero.

Yeah but Wojo only wins the BE titles

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 07:43:23 PM »
What? MU wins the BE.....and Wojo isn’t losing his job. You may want a BE champ to go deep in the tourney.....but he’s not losing his job. Cmon now.

You did read my entire post, ey?  Give er another try, but a little slower...where did I say wojo was LOSING his job??  This is how rumors get started.  I’d hate to live in your neighborhood 😳

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
I actually want wojo to be very very successful. As he goes, obviously MU goes.  I’d love for him to be the talk of the ncaa etc etc.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
Yep. Read it again.
Still wrong.
If Wojo and MU win the BE......and get bounced in the first round.....Wojo is not losing his job.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Yep. Read it again.
Still wrong.
If Wojo and MU win the BE......and get bounced in the first round.....Wojo is not losing his job.

“Necessarily”

One more time my man, I NEVER said anything about him LOSING his job

Too many other variables.  At the end of the season, IF we win the BE, he will be able to put that in the good wojo column

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
  “Necessarily”

Too many other variables.  At the end of the season, IF we win the BE, he will be able to put that in the good wojo column

No.  You are wrong.  Winning the Big East will guaranty that Wojo is coach next year...and a couple years after. 

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2018, 09:04:26 PM »

No.  You are wrong.  Winning the Big East will guaranty that Wojo is coach next year...and a couple years after.

To the casual fan, if MU wins the Big East they’re wearing Big East Champs shirts for the next 8 years. I agree - Woj can buy a name brand winter coat if they won BE.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
  “Necessarily”

Whatever—nice try.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »
I don't see a situation where you can fire a coach that wins the Big East. Of course we've got a lot to prove before we can start predicting Big East titles.

I personally don't care much about winning the Big East. I would enjoy it of course, but what seed we earn in the tournament is lot more meaningful than winning in a down Big East.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »
I love the continued push of the Villanova analogy. If we were coming off a national championship I wouldn’t care if we went 0-30 - Wojo’s seat would be ice cold forever.

Not that it matters, but Furman!=Presbyterian. Furman could very well be dancing in March and even pull a 14-3 upset. Presbyterian is a 300-level cupcake that picks up wins against DIII schools.

Before we crown ourselves BE champions let’s at least beat a top-100 team eh?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 02:46:44 AM »
Whatever—nice try.

I’m looking at wojo accomplishing something that the powers that be look for deserving a solid extension that recruits look for. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
I love the continued push of the Villanova analogy. If we were coming off a national championship I wouldn’t care if we went 0-30 - Wojo’s seat would be ice cold forever.

Villanova is used because they are in our conference. If we were in the Big 10, we might point to Beilein, who missed the tourney two of his first three years at Michigan and didn't have a winning conference record until his fifth season. In the ACC, we might look at Tony Bennett, who missed the tourney three of his first four years at Virginia.

The reason Villanova/Wright and Duke/K are the comparisons we use is because we play Nova twice a year and Wojo was an assistant at Duke. The hope, and it's just a hope, is that given time, Wojo can build something similar here. And going hand-in-hand with that is the belief that this is the year, when his first full recruiting class is in their fourth year and he has a roster of players that on paper should be pretty good, that we have elevated expectations that he start showing results that indicate the comparisons to other top programs might be valid.

If he doesn't show results, I don't think you'll see many of us who've been patient staying that way. I certainly won't be. I hope the Indiana incident was a one-off, but if that defense and high-pressure performance proves to be the norm this season, and if we miss the tournament with this team, I think Wojo's seat shouldn't be hot, it should be charred to the point of disintegration.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »
Brew and rocket are right. If we miss the tourney, we have to move on (brew). If we win a weakened BE, but get bounced in 1st rd, it buys another year or two, but that’s it (rocket).

There’s a schism in how people look to MU’s future with wojo, but let’s start with points of agreement: I’d bet nearly everyone agrees Wojo has been a fantastic recruiter and below-average coach. 

I’d bet nearly everyone has been in disappointed in Wojo-era results. The difference in thought comes from how we see the future unfolding: some say 5 years have shown Wojo’s below-average coaching is not likely to improve and will prevent MU from reaching loftier heights (“past performance promises future results”). Others are more hopeful and say Wojo is growing into his role, and that if he’s armed with talent, will excel (“past performance does not promise future results”).

Both perspectives seem valid. But if this year is a loser, both perspectives should merge into the same place - things won’t be getting better. It’s both sides.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »
Marquette has the door open to take a top 3 finish. Hopefully things gel by the time conference play comes around. The quality of teams played in the noncon should help. If they dont get some good wins before conference play the pressure will be immense to finish in the top 5. 5 years in its time to see some progress.