[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 36371 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Music Thread
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2021, 11:59:12 AM »
While we're on Fontaines D.C. there's a new post punk band out of Galway I saw when I was living there called The Clockworks.

Similar sound, great energy, class individuals. unfortunately their new record label made them remove their independent stuff from Spotify so there's only 6 songs now. Give them a listen.

I'll check them out.  Did you see them at the Rosin Dubh?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »
I'll check them out.  Did you see them at the Rosin Dubh?

Saw them at Roisin Dubh and at The Social in London. Both times they were incredible and came out for pints.

The two songs on Spotify from their old independent stuff that they've re-recorded are:
Bills and Pills
Can I speak to a Manager

Also I forgot I had this link to an old song as well so 7 songs available.

https://youtu.be/Wa7NU3e2ToQ
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:28:00 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »
Great album, their first (Dogrel) is also really good. A little more punkish than A Hero's Death.
I downloaded it last night!
You're in for a treat with Daddy's Home. It's a departure from something you would more typically expect from St. Vincent but very much a welcome one for me.

For some reason I clicked over to Pitchfork the other day to see what they thought about the album and then I quickly remembered why Pitchfork is garbage.
Smooth f'n album, easy to get lost in it, and really good.

She needs to lock those background singers up before they head out on their own (assuming they're the same throughout the album and the same from SNL)

The two songs on Spotify from their old independent stuff that they've re-recorded are:
Bills and Pills
Can I speak to a Manager

Also I forgot I had this link to an old song as well so 7 songs available.

https://youtu.be/Wa7NU3e2ToQ
Solid - thx

romey

• All American
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »
Got my Alan Parsons Project tix for the Pabst Theater in September!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »
My favorite albums of the year so far by a fairly wide margin:

Squid - Bright Green Field (bombastic post punk with a lot of different influences / varied styles within songs)

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg (great guitar work & bass lines, interesting vocal style that people either like or hate)

Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights (the type of album you can put on and either enjoy in the background as pleasant, but also if you focus on it there are a ton of great details on re-listens, and great heartfelt lyrics, heartland rock type themes for lack of a better descriptor)

Yu Su - Yellow River Blue (fans of Aphex Twin should enjoy)

Nothing else has stood out much to me, a lot of solid but unspectacular stuff IMO

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2021, 10:21:11 AM »
Oh, do they still hate everything when it's released, and then warm to it over a few years?

If anything I'd say they've gravitated towards way overrating pop albums these days. More of a good news site, but ratings can be ignored, just try things out for yourself music is totally and completely subjective anyway.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Went to give St. Vincent's 'Daddy's Home' a run through and realized I'd never listened to Fountaines D.C.'s 'A Hero's Death' - I'm an old guy so forgive me for being 9 months late to this. If the first two songs weren't on the album (or maybe put at the end) it would be a fantastic album. Surprisingly layered background/instruments, another great example of "you don't have to be a great singer to be a good frontman", and his lyrics are solidly poetic. Strong recommend if you are a punk/post-punk person.

St' Vincent gets a spin tomorrow.

Fontaines D.C. is a band I very much want to see live if they come through the states any time soon. Another band I'd put in their camp is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, kind of like a middle ground between Fontaines and mid-era Real Estate.  Missed them right before the pandemic put everything on hold, hope they make it through again sometime soon.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

Loved their 1st album. Have not gotten into the 2nd at all after a couple of listens. Is it worth repeated attempts?

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
My favorite albums of the year so far by a fairly wide margin:

Squid - Bright Green Field (bombastic post punk with a lot of different influences / varied styles within songs)

Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg (great guitar work & bass lines, interesting vocal style that people either like or hate)

Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights (the type of album you can put on and either enjoy in the background as pleasant, but also if you focus on it there are a ton of great details on re-listens, and great heartfelt lyrics, heartland rock type themes for lack of a better descriptor)

Yu Su - Yellow River Blue (fans of Aphex Twin should enjoy)

Nothing else has stood out much to me, a lot of solid but unspectacular stuff IMO

Wore out that Wild Pink album. Good stuff.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2021, 12:01:42 PM »
Loved their 1st album. Have not gotten into the 2nd at all after a couple of listens. Is it worth repeated attempts?

Agreed Hope Downs was definitely stronger, 2nd album had a lot more filler, I like the In the Capital / Read My Mind single they put out in between the two but those somehow didn't make it on the album, I guess kind of like how French Press didn't make it on Hope Downs. If they picked an hour+ from all of their highlights a live show would be great (I imagine)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »
Anybody else really vibing the more pure bluey feel to the new Black Keys album?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2022, 07:26:23 PM »
Anyone seen a show at the Prtizker Pavilion? 

If so, any advice on seating?  Looking at the 200s.  Want to see if the mixing board tent gets in the way of the center sections.

TIA.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »
Goose was fantastic last week in Madison.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2022, 05:47:33 PM »
Went to a show last night at Turners Ballroom.  Had a great time.  Ran into a MU alum.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2022, 05:52:45 PM »
Went to a show last night at Turners Ballroom.  Had a great time.  Ran into a MU alum.

Who’d you see? I was there Saturday for Tank and the Bangas, awesome, and at The Back Room Sunday for Tall Heights, what a cool venue when there are barely 100 people. Two completely different shows, both great.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2022, 05:53:22 PM »

Cool story, brah.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2022, 06:00:36 PM »
Who’d you see? I was there Saturday for Tank and the Bangas, awesome, and at The Back Room Sunday for Tall Heights, what a cool venue when there are barely 100 people. Two completely different shows, both great.

The Midnight.  It was banging, and there were probably about 800-1000 people.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »
Cool story, brah.

I have plenty.

Would you like to know more?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2022, 07:16:50 PM »
I have plenty.

Would you like to know more?

Nope.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2022, 09:07:53 PM »
They're way before my time but I'm listening to Jethro Tull?  This band and their frontman are absolutely phenomenal.  Obviously there were great 70's bands and singer/songwriters but I'm absolutely blown away by these guys. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:09:39 PM by MuggsyB »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2022, 04:12:08 AM »
They’re unique. Not really my thing. (I mean, a flute?)  But I get the allure.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »
They’re unique. Not really my thing. (I mean, a flute?)  But I get the allure.

Unique for sure and that should be praised.   I had never heard Heavy Horses until yesterday.  That song is an absolute masterpiece. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2022, 07:05:25 AM »
I'm not one of those that automatically hates "pop" music, but its slim pickings for pop. That being said, I do like George Ezra, especially the song Barcelona.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2022, 07:11:36 AM »
Recent addictions are Nathaniel Rateliff, Florence and the Machine, Of Monsters and Men
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2022, 07:56:57 AM »
Although not a music group, thought you'd aline with The Fire-Eaters, hey?

#freeziggy2022toinfinity
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"