[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job offers  (Read 17260 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Job offers
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:55:57 PM »
Seeking advice from the wise old scoopers  ::)

Yesterday I went into an interview with another company in my field who had contacted me, they offered me a nice salary and benefits package I don't receive at my current job. Today they sent me a job offer. I like the package they put together and the position advancement. However I would like to see if my current company, which I like quite a bit, would be willing to match this. I've never actually done this before so I had a few questions. Would I contact HR about this, and how should I phrase the questions. Also how long of a wait should I give the other company before it is considered rude or sketchy.

thanks scoopers 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Job offers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
  not to worry...bob's here

in all seriousness-how long have you been at your company?  have you had decent employee reviews?  i'd say, if you throw this at your company and they don't get back to you within 24-48 hours, start emptying your desk
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
The link below should have some insight. Granted that person actually accepted the job before the counter. I don’t have much experience there but found this thread interesting.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=56646.0

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »

Yesterday I went into an interview with another company in my field who had contacted me, they offered me a nice salary and benefits package I don't receive at my current job. Today they sent me a job offer. I like the package they put together and the position advancement. However I would like to see if my current company, which I like quite a bit, would be willing to match this. I've never actually done this before so I had a few questions. Would I contact HR about this, and how should I phrase the questions. Also how long of a wait should I give the other company before it is considered rude or sketchy.

thanks scoopers 

Go to your supervisor.  Tell him/her that you have another offer that you are very interested in but you very much enjoy working where you are now, and see what their response is.  I think you could hold the new company off until the end of business on Monday.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
I agree with what Sultan said, I’d go to your direct report with that news. Be prepared though to leave your current company if it comes to that.

Few years ago I had a recruiter contact me out of nowhere, I wasn’t looking, loved my current job, was compensated decently. I figured I had nothing to lose, the recruiter was recruiting for a very large company. Ended up getting an offer 35% better pay, and went to my boss with it. I had a great relationship with my boss, and he understood I’d end up taking the other offer, as he couldn’t match it. If you have a good relationship with your boss, it’ll make it much easier to have that awkward conversation.

At the end of the day, you look out for you.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
I agree with what Sultan said, I’d go to your direct report with that news. Be prepared though to leave your current company if it comes to that.

Few years ago I had a recruiter contact me out of nowhere, I wasn’t looking, loved my current job, was compensated decently. I figured I had nothing to lose, the recruiter was recruiting for a very large company. Ended up getting an offer 35% better pay, and went to my boss with it. I had a great relationship with my boss, and he understood I’d end up taking the other offer, as he couldn’t match it. If you have a good relationship with your boss, it’ll make it much easier to have that awkward conversation.

At the end of the day, you look out for you.

This is what happened to me, I was recruited without actively looking. I will definitely be leaving the company if it comes down to it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »
This is what happened to me, I was recruited without actively looking. I will definitely be leaving the company if it comes down to it.

From what it sounds like, you’re in a good spot. It’s always nice to feel wanted in the corporate world, and if you can improve your career, make better coin, and feel like you’ll be happy with it, you’ve set yourself up. As an example, my old boss called me about 6 months ago with an offer to work for him at a new company. I passed as the timing wasn’t right, but long story short, if you do leave, and on good terms, you’ll always have that networking group of people at your current job, and you never know how/when they might pop up.

Good luck, hope it works out whichever way you go.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »

Go to your supervisor.  Tell him/her that you have another offer that you are very interested in but you very much enjoy working where you are now, and see what their response is.  I think you could hold the new company off until the end of business on Monday.

It's never this simple. 

PM me.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 03:37:28 AM »
Too bad there is no middle man like a union or a manager as in the NBA. 

The stories about a benevolent supervisor are great.   

My "advice" and experience is, don't mess with happy.    If you are unhappy take the offer, case closed.  While extortion has become a current American way of doing business, its not mine.

Good luck, follow your better nature, be happy, in the long run life is not about money.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 06:34:14 AM »
We had a similar thread 2-3 weeks ago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:02 AM »
It's not "extortion."  It's doing what is best for your career.  I agree with  the notion that being happy where you are is a good thing.  But if you are young and newly into a career, leaving for better opportunities oftentimes means taking chances.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
It's not "extortion."  It's doing what is best for your career.  I agree with  the notion that being happy where you are is a good thing.  But if you are young and newly into a career, leaving for better opportunities oftentimes means taking chances.

I choose my words carefully.  You may call it opportunity, I may call it possible extortion.  The relationship with the current supervisor is critical, I believe I alluded to that.

Taking risk is understandable, as is extortion.  Let Mr. "young and newly into a career" decide the motivation.   Playing the game, can you top this, is usually frought with risk.  I'm just saying that one should have their eyes wide open.  Just a little guidance, experience being offered, which is what was requested.

On the subject of extortion, there is so much of it  nowadays that it is hardly recognisable. It has become business or politics as usual.  I'm retired so greatfully I don't have to deal with it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
I choose my words carefully.  You may call it opportunity, I may call it possible extortion.  The relationship with the current supervisor is critical, I believe I alluded to that.

Taking risk is understandable, as is extortion.  Let Mr. "young and newly into a career" decide the motivation.   Playing the game, can you top this, is usually frought with risk.  I'm just saying that one should have their eyes wide open.  Just a little guidance, experience being offered, which is what was requested.

On the subject of extortion, there is so much of it  nowadays that it is hardly recognisable. It has become business or politics as usual.  I'm retired so greatfully I don't have to deal with it.

Got that pension, so never had to rely on extortion in your 30s to be able to retire by 70, aina?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
Got that pension, so never had to rely on extortion in your 30s to be able to retire by 70, aina?

Close, 67, now 75, hay aina, "down by Schusters where the trolly turns the corner round".

Seriously, took risk and won some and lost some.  One size does not fit all.  At any rate, we learn from our mistakes and our successes.  In the paper today I earned a good one from Gen. Mathis, "you can only fall on your sword once".

In my day most of us did not network like today.  I think protecting the network is an important factor today. 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »
Surprised to see some of these responses suggesting not doing anything. It’s frankly naive, and ignores how the modern professional world functions.

Sultan is right. Go to your supervisor and begin by staying how much you love the company, the job, working under his or her’s mentorship, etc. Then let that person know about the offer and is the company willing to match, because you’d love to stay. Any reasonable supervisor will understand this and will not be the least bit offended—if anything, probably glad they will have the chance to keep you.

If you get a nasty reaction (highly unlikely) then that says more about the supervisor/company and should confirm that moving on is the right choice.

Congrats on the offer and best of luck. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
Surprised to see some of these responses suggesting not doing anything. It’s frankly naive, and ignores how the modern professional world functions.

Sultan is right. Go to your supervisor and begin by staying how much you love the company, the job, working under his or her’s mentorship, etc. Then let that person know about the offer and is the company willing to match, because you’d love to stay. Any reasonable supervisor will understand this and will not be the least bit offended—if anything, probably glad they will have the chance to keep you.

If you get a nasty reaction (highly unlikely) then that says more about the supervisor/company and should confirm that moving on is the right choice.

Congrats on the offer and best of luck.

Suprised to see so much faith placed in the supervisor.  Let's talk about dependency, forget about extortion. 

So we are saying that the decision criteria should be left up to the corporation and the supervisor? What are you guys talking about?  Let's get the decision criteria right.  Let's take charge of our lives one way or the other. 

It's 2158 here in Italy, game time.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:02:46 PM by vogue65 »

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »
Suprised to see so much faith placed in the supervisor.  Let's talk about dependency, forget about extortion. 

So we are saying that the decision criteria should be left up to the corporation and the supervisor? What are you guys talking about?  Let's get the decision criteria right.  Let's take charge of our lives one way or the other. 

It's 2158 here in Italy, game time.

I think you may be missing the point.  If an employee receives a job offer from a new company for an increase in pay and doesn't necessarily want to leave his current employer. it is perfectly fine to bring the offer to his supervisor.  The supervisor can then decide if the employee is worth keeping at the higher price and take appropriate action.

My partners and I employ about 400 people, and in the current job market we get about 25 of those situations every year.  I don't like it, but it is a fact of life in the current job market.  As I said in another similar thread, we rarely match, but when we have a critical need for a certain skill we will match, as that is what the market demands for that skill set.  We appreciate it when an employee brings the offer up with the supervisor so we have the option to decide.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »

thanks scoopers
Two important considerations of the new offer are a) it provides you position advancement which explains the compensation and benefits package  and b) since it is in your industry you should have a good understanding of where the company ranks competitively and it's reputation for treating employees. Moving from a healthy situation should only be done after thoughtful consideration is given to what the new employer is actually offering.

When we are confronted with these situations, for the people we want to retain,  we usually try to match the offers and at a minimum provide a pathway for their career advancement. If we can't match,  we wish them well and let them know the door is always open to return if they change their mind down the road .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »
I think you may be missing the point.  If an employee receives a job offer from a new company for an increase in pay and doesn't necessarily want to leave his current employer. it is perfectly fine to bring the offer to his supervisor.  The supervisor can then decide if the employee is worth keeping at the higher price and take appropriate action.

My partners and I employ about 400 people, and in the current job market we get about 25 of those situations every year.  I don't like it, but it is a fact of life in the current job market.  As I said in another similar thread, we rarely match, but when we have a critical need for a certain skill we will match, as that is what the market demands for that skill set.  We appreciate it when an employee brings the offer up with the supervisor so we have the option to decide.

You are correct, I'm missing the point.  The new world is much more the per diem model, I'm a relic.  6% of 400, seems to me to be a lot of negotiating. 

There are costs and benefits to the new corporate culture.

In today's world the individual corporate culture has submitted to the larger global/national business culture.  In other words you can't control the musical chairs, especially in America.

The younger generations have found a way around the old pyramid by just moving as much as possible.  Movement is the goal, got it.  With decision making based on skill sets and market demands there is little value in developing workers.  Each man and business for themselves and may the best man/gal win. 

We have gone from product life cycles, to company life cycles, to industry life cycles.  So if the industry itself won't be around in a few years, what difference does loyalty make, one way or the other? 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:20:02 AM by vogue65 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
Sultan has it right.  You sit down man to man with your supervisor tomorrow (don't mean to assume it's not a she, same rules apply) and discuss the situation like adults.  My only caveat to that is if you've been there some unbelievably short time (say 4-5 months), it might be a little early to 'leave the company hanging' but it still wouldn't be unprofessional.  It would just likely burn a bridge.  Don't be offended if he can't match.  If he says he will try, give him a little time to make some calls to see if possible.  You're certainly 'good' in responding to the offer Tuesday or Wednesday if no deadline has been given.

Good luck.  And if you leave, shake your bosses hand and thank him for what's he's done for you.  It's a small world.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
You are correct, I'm missing the point.  The new world is much more the per diem model, I'm a relic.  6% of 400, seems to me to be a lot of negotiating. 

There are costs and benefits to the new corporate culture.

In today's world the individual corporate culture has submitted to the larger global/national business culture.  In other words you can't control the musical chairs, especially in America.

The younger generations have found a way around the old pyramid by just moving as much as possible.  Movement is the goal, got it.  With decision making based on skill sets and market demands there is little value in developing workers.  Each man and business for themselves and may the best man/gal win. 

We have gone from product life cycles, to company life cycles, to industry life cycles.  So if the industry itself won't be around in a few years, what difference does loyalty make, one way or the other?

The corporate culture was created by corporate elites.  Salaries have been frozen when looking at inflation adjusted values, because the biggest expense for companies is labor.  So they freeze those costs to increase profits and their stock price.

The consequence of that is to the management, a person is simply labor, nothing more, a replaceable commodity no different than a machine.  The result is the only way you get a serious raise is to get an offer somewhere else. 

If you want to decry the situation, do not look at the worker (labor), look at management.  They created this market/scenario.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
I would (and have) match offers for critical skills that it would be difficult to replace. Latest example is a really exceptional meteorologist who was doing his job so well and so quietly that we had no idea he was dissatisfied until he came and told us he was taking a job in Oklahoma.

The thing that frosts me the most is when good candidates waste my time interviewing with us when they only plan to use an offer to leverage a better deal with their current employer.  I’m also old enough that I am very suspicious of resumes where an employee has moved every two years or less.  I’m not interested in folks who are regularly changing jobs to ladder climb. It costs too much to hire and train someone who isn’t going to be around in 3 years.  Yet I understand that this is somewhat the “millennial culture,” and it can be hard to find any younger folks who’ve stayed at their job 5 years.

Unleash, in this case you were recruited by another firm so not much to worry about that. If you can leverage it into more income and better benefits, from either your current or potentially future employer, go for it.  You still gotta look out for #1.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:51:43 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
I would (and have) match offers for critical skills that it would be difficult to replace. Latest example is a really exceptional meteorologist who was doing his job so well and so quietly that we had no idea he was dissatisfied until he came and told us he was taking a job in Oklahoma.

He must have been REALLY dissatisfied.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »

Maybe he was really into tornadoes.
Have some patience, FFS.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

I think the idea was to move closer to his wife's family.  He was probably REALLY relieved when we promoted him and matched.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)