[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PTSD  (Read 12702 times)

tower912

• All American
PTSD
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »
Mocking it is shameful and indefensible.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: PTSD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Agreed, like with a lot of things involving mental health it presents in all sorts of ways with all sorts of impacts that is some times hard for folks to understand.

At the end of the day we would all be better served to be as supportive and empathetic as possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
Character confirmed on Mutaman and Sultan in the MU engineering thread. 

Vogue provided a great explanation of his experiences, along with Crash's stories of Ranger school and JSOC.

Different people react differently to all types of mental illness and injury.  Compassion and support is the best that us civilians can do, especially when we have no idea of what it's like to be in combat.

I read Dick Marchinko's (founder of Seal Team 6). Its fiction, but based on his experience.  He makes Keefe look like Mother Teresa in his braggadocio.  Does Demo Dick have PTSD?  Probably, in some capacity.   He deals with it differently than others.  So does Keefe.  So do the other veterans that post on this board that choose to keep quiet about their experiences.

And, Doom On You to muta and sultan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »

Vogue provided a great explanation of his experiences, along with Crash's stories of Ranger school and JSOC.

Different people react differently to all types of mental illness and injury.  Compassion and support is the best that us civilians can do, especially when we have no idea of what it's like to be in combat.

I read Dick Marchinko's (founder of Seal Team 6). Its fiction, but based on his experience.  He makes Keefe look like Mother Teresa in his braggadocio.  Does Demo Dick have PTSD?  Probably, in some capacity.   He deals with it differently than others.  So does Keefe.  So do the other veterans that post on this board that choose to keep quiet about their experiences.

I made one post.  A silly .gif in response to one of keefe's rants.  I'm not sure what that confirms about my character.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »

I made one post.  A silly .gif in response to one of keefe's rants.  I'm not sure what that confirms about my character.

That's part of your problem.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »

Listen, let's not turn this into another fireballing thread. Unless I missed something in the Engineering thread Sultan posted a GIF that had nothing to do with PTSD commentary but was around Scoop being a crotchety old man domain.

Given the topic of this thread, can we all just back off and be respectful?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »
#banSultan
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Over the past three years my family has been actively involved in Warriors and Quiet Waters. WQW program is 100% geared towards active and retired combat Vets from Afghanistan and Iraq and how they handle PTSD. We have been very fortunate to have volunteered in Bozeman and have hosted three events in MKE. What my family has learned is simple, that even toughest of the toughest do not always have the ability to handle all that life throws at them. My respect for Vets , which was very high to begin with, is now off the charts.

Under no circumstances do I believe anyone should even make a backhanded joke over our Vets and PTSD. When we were in Bozeman, one of our soliders was an active Navy Seal sniper with over 20 years of service and spending time with him was one of the greatest life lessons of my life.

For this scooper, I thank Keefe and all of our proud military for their service and sacrifice that they and their family's make for us.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Why must PTSD be politicized?  I thought our country was over the spitting on veterans we saw back in the late 60's.

If you're anti-war, fine.  Don't take it out on our veterans.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
Why must PTSD be politicized?  I thought our country was over the spitting on veterans we saw back in the late 60's.

Now we're just virtually spitting on them by not adequately funding their health care.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »

I am marooned here in Italy for another two weeks.   Not a bad place to get ship wrecked, but my only English connection is a priest at the seminary, a Japanese businessman at the golf club and my wonderful wife.

My connection with the "real world" is MUScoop.  For the most part stimulating conversation, similar to my days as a bartender at the Vogue Cocktail Bar, next to the original Real Chili, across West Wisconsin from the library.

This year I plan to winter in in N.J. , have my cable t.v., and make the games at Seton Hall, the Garden, Bartley, and perhaps St. John's.  While in Italy it is mostly NOOK, Scoop, good food and MU radio at 3 in the morning.

Back on topic, over the years some of you have made very worthwhile recommendations about good reads.  For example 1919, Six Months that changed the world.  This year I finally got to the Truman bio. by David McCullough ( Who knew the rest of the story?  I didn't) and On Desperate Ground, a new book about the Marines in Korea.  (Again, who knew, I didn't know the real facts).

I read the Wikipedia brief on Marcinko, very interesting character.  I'm sure his books are stimulating, might give one a read.  You would be suprised what goes on at Rock Island, but that's another story for another time.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
What's really ironic here is that back before he got caught posting his plagiarized items several times a day, Keefe used to mock Vogue continuously.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
What's really ironic here is that back before he got caught posting his plagiarized items several times a day, Keefe used to mock Vogue continuously.

In a way, it would be a little comforting to know that Keefe's personality traits are a result of PTSD, and not simply a personal choice to be a self-important misogynist a-hole. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.  It always bothered me that Marquette churned out a graduate like that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:49:55 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
In a way, it would be a little comforting to know that Keefe's personality traits are a result of PTSD, and not simply a personal choice to be a self-important misogynist a-hole. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.  It always bothered me that Marquette churned out a graduate like that.

BINGO!
But less comforting that when Keefe was posting his plagiarized White Supremacist misogynist nonsense, guys like Ziggy had absolutely no problem with his "character".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »

This is a key point that people either struggle with, or flat out just dont get.  They apply a one size fits all viewpoint to behavior and treatment related to mental illness. "I know someone with X, and they did this.  So since you're not acting like that, you're full of it".  Not to mention the mentality of someone is "using mental illness as an excuse".  Maybe they aren't making the best or most efficient strides in treatment or coping, but provided there is a diagnosed condition, I assure you it effecting them in ways far beyond what you're willing to give them credit for, dramatic or not.

And FWIW, pretty sure Keefe is of partially Asian descent for those who claim his ideals to be that of a white surpremacist

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
Warriorchick

Funny that you would single someone out over self-importance. There may be some on here that feel you fall into that camp.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Warriorchick

Funny that you would single someone out over self-importance. There may be some on here that feel you fall into that camp.

Interesting.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

C'mon F*ckin' man, The Pontiff has spoken, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »

Really? Crash is among the very best and brightest our University has turned out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »

C'mon F*ckin' man, The Pontiff has spoken, aina?

Good point, Dr Tooth.  Sultan is always Ex Cathedra.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »

After looking at that Engineering thread, I too have no idea how this broke bad on Sultan and Mutaman.  Sultan's only post was pre-any mention of PTSD.  WTF.

And in the category of "miss a little miss a lot," I long ago stopped looking at the NM thread.  Holy crap, that explains this most recent temporary though lengthy absence of Keefe.  Thanks for the link, TAMU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »

If you're anti-war, fine.  Don't take it out on our veterans.

Not that myth again:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/opinion/myth-spitting-vietnam-protester.html

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »

Really? Crash is among the very best and brightest our University has turned out.

Your definition of "best and brightest" must be problematic. Character is everything, and to the extent his postings here have revealed who he is, his character is sorely deficient. I'm with chick here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »

We don't know that he does suffer from PTSD.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
After looking at that Engineering thread, I too have no idea how this broke bad on Sultan and Mutaman.  Sultan's only post was pre-any mention of PTSD.  WTF.

And in the category of "miss a little miss a lot," I long ago stopped looking at the NM thread.  Holy crap, that explains this most recent temporary though lengthy absence of Keefe.  Thanks for the link, TAMU.

As someone who has disagreed often with both Sultan and Chick, I think they have come under unwarranted attack here.

But, I simply look at who is making the attacks and all is explained.

feedback