[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PTSD  (Read 12791 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: PTSD
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
Homophobia and misogyny are both forms of hatred.

PM for the rest

Thank you keeping politics to PM. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »

I made one post.  A silly .gif in response to one of keefe's rants.  I'm not sure what that confirms about my character.

But its not funny, and its inexcusable.  I'm just shocked that your first response in this thread isn't an apology.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
But its not funny, and its inexcusable.  I'm just shocked that your first response in this thread isn't an apology.

Is PTSD an untouchable concept for comedy?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
"Honey, I am going to go deal with my PTSD by walking 5 miles with a 15 lb bag on my back stopping occasionally to make awkward movements involving 18 separate challenges."    Kind of funny.
"He's an idiot.   Must be the PTSD."    Not funny.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »

“Yes, it is.  Unless you put an “Justice for Trayvon” sticker on your Prius first.  Then you can make fun of anyone you want.”   
Not funny. 

“Not as much as making fun of clergy abuse victims.”
Not funny.

Search — site:muscoop.com Sultan PTSD
Results: Not funny. 

It appears that even the first derivative of PTSD jokes aren’t funny. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
“Yes, it is.  Unless you put an “Justice for Trayvon” sticker on your Prius first.  Then you can make fun of anyone you want.”   
Not funny. 

“Not as much as making fun of clergy abuse victims.”
Not funny.

Search — site:muscoop.com Sultan PTSD
Results: Not funny. 

It appears that even the first derivative of PTSD jokes aren’t funny.

Interesting.
So, there's a critically praised, and somewhat commercially successful, comedy on FX called "You're the Worst," which finds humor (mostly dark humor) in the mental illnesses of its protagonists, one of them being a veteran with PTSD. The writers have worked with actual veterans on developing that character, and in finding the occasional humor in their affliction (and how they use humor to deal with it).
Is that out of line?

Likewise, was it unfunny when Eddie Murphy did his famous "dress like a white person" skit on SNL to comedically shine the light on racial disparities? Or Any Schumer's "Friday Night Lights" parody about rape and football culture.
Obviously, like rape and racism, PTSD isn't funny. But I'm a little surprised by the strident "don't joke about" attitude here.
Don't mock those afflicted? Obviously. But I don't think PTSD stands alone among all our societal problems as being untouchable for comedy.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
Are cancer jokes funny?  Is altzheimers or dementia funny?  I suppose to some people, but not if you have lived with it up close. If a cancer patient can find some levity in their situation all the better, but it is never my right to make a joke at their expense.  To cover up thuggish behavior hiding behind an argument in favor if free speech and against political correctness is evil.

Hurting someone is never funny and it is the someone who decides what is funny or not. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »
Are cancer jokes funny?  Is altzheimers or dementia funny?  I suppose to some people, but not if you have lived with it up close. If a cancer patient can find some levity in their situation all the better, but it is never my right to make a joke at their expense.  To cover up thuggish behavior hiding behind an argument in favor if free speech and against political correctness is evil.

Hurting someone is never funny and it is the someone who decides what is funny or not.

It's all perspective.  Went to a George Carlin show awhile back with friends.  He had a length (and I mean lengthy) bit about suicide.  One of or friends had a sister who committed suicide in the recent past.  To say it was awkward for us was an understatement.

Most of the audience laughed repeatedly, our friend never laughed.

Afterward a couple of us asked if she was ok, her response was, I'm fine.  I'm glad he did the bit, although I couldn't find it funny, and it brought up painful memories, it brought attention to a topic people are afraid to talk about.

Sometimes the comedy isn't about making everyone laugh, but bringing attention to a problem we feel too uncomfortable to talk about.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
It's all perspective.  Went to a George Carlin show awhile back with friends.  He had a length (and I mean lengthy) bit about suicide.  One of or friends had a sister who committed suicide in the recent past.  To say it was awkward for us was an understatement.

Most of the audience laughed repeatedly, our friend never laughed.

Afterward a couple of us asked if she was ok, her response was, I'm fine.  I'm glad he did the bit, although I couldn't find it funny, and it brought up painful memories, it brought attention to a topic people are afraid to talk about.

Sometimes the comedy isn't about making everyone laugh, but bringing attention to a problem we feel too uncomfortable to talk about.

Interesting spin, nothing personal, but we need to talk seriously about serious subjects.  There are many topics to mine for comedy.  I loved George Carlin, sometimes I have even tried to imitate him, I'm suprised he did a shtick on suicide. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »

Yes, this exactly.
Sometimes great comedy can just be funny. And sometimes great comedy can be both funny and a means of addressing serious issues we face as a country/world.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »
Yes, this exactly.
Sometimes great comedy can just be funny. And sometimes great comedy can be both funny and a means of addressing serious issues we face as a country/world.

Oh boy, the end justifies the means.  I don't like crossing swords with the Jebbies, but?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

My gif wasn’t in response to anything related to PTSD. I had just texted my wife the same image and just decided to post it in response to a ridiculous post.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked.  Upon further review, currently on my computer screen shows 5 threads locked on the screen.  I decided to scroll down through 11 pages to arrive at the beginning of 2018.  The leaders with the most threads started that were locked.  It's as if some of these people my intentionally start a few topics with that intent.   ::)

MU82   10 threads locked
Tuggspeedman  (is this person still here?)  8 threads locked
Jesmu84    6 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
Ellenson Guerrero   2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads
Efficient Frontier 2 threads

About 10 people with 1 thread.   

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked.  Upon further review, currently on my computer screen shows 5 threads locked on the screen.  I decided to scroll down through 11 pages to arrive at the beginning of 2018.  The leaders with the most threads started that were locked.  It's as if some of these people my intentionally start a few topics with that intent.   ::)

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

cubbiechicos, just so you have a little perspective ...

A couple of mods declared quite some time ago that any Superbar thread I start, no matter how innocuous, will be locked. It's become a bit of a running joke here.

I fully admit that a couple (maybe even a few) were started knowing they would be "controversial," but even those were worthwhile subjects for discussion (IMHO obviously). The majority were quite innocuous but we locked either out of habit because I started them or because the content got unruly.

I don't start threads thinking, "Oh, let's see how quickly this one can get locked" or "Let's see if the mods don't notice this one for X number of days." I try to start threads that are interesting.

Let's say I start a thread on an interesting situation that brings about a discussion of race in our society. That, in and of itself, is not political at all. Nor does it have to get nasty. And I think we can all agree that it's an important topic, very relevant. Invariably, however, it gets heated, and invariably, it gets locked. Was that a "bad thread" for me to have started?

Let it be known I am not claiming I'm a victim here. I know the deal; it's a freakin' interwebs chat board. I get to state my opinion plenty. I don't feel picked on at all in the locked-thread realm.

FWIW, I'm quite sure that if you scrolled down a couple years earlier, you would have found a LOT more by the guy I call Smuggles. (Heisenberg, Tugg, etc)

Oh, and if you scrolled back several years, a fine gentleman who went by "chicos" almost surely would be at or very near the top of your leaderboard.

What's a chicos, anyway?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

Pretty sure Tuggs and Efficient Frontier are the same person. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

Jeez. I didn't realize I was that far behind

feedback