collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PTSD  (Read 12704 times)

tower912

• All American
PTSD
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »
Mocking it is shameful and indefensible.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: PTSD
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:44:44 AM »
Agreed, like with a lot of things involving mental health it presents in all sorts of ways with all sorts of impacts that is some times hard for folks to understand.

At the end of the day we would all be better served to be as supportive and empathetic as possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
Character confirmed on Mutaman and Sultan in the MU engineering thread. 

Vogue provided a great explanation of his experiences, along with Crash's stories of Ranger school and JSOC.

Different people react differently to all types of mental illness and injury.  Compassion and support is the best that us civilians can do, especially when we have no idea of what it's like to be in combat.

I read Dick Marchinko's (founder of Seal Team 6). Its fiction, but based on his experience.  He makes Keefe look like Mother Teresa in his braggadocio.  Does Demo Dick have PTSD?  Probably, in some capacity.   He deals with it differently than others.  So does Keefe.  So do the other veterans that post on this board that choose to keep quiet about their experiences.

And, Doom On You to muta and sultan.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »

Vogue provided a great explanation of his experiences, along with Crash's stories of Ranger school and JSOC.

Different people react differently to all types of mental illness and injury.  Compassion and support is the best that us civilians can do, especially when we have no idea of what it's like to be in combat.

I read Dick Marchinko's (founder of Seal Team 6). Its fiction, but based on his experience.  He makes Keefe look like Mother Teresa in his braggadocio.  Does Demo Dick have PTSD?  Probably, in some capacity.   He deals with it differently than others.  So does Keefe.  So do the other veterans that post on this board that choose to keep quiet about their experiences.

I made one post.  A silly .gif in response to one of keefe's rants.  I'm not sure what that confirms about my character.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 10:18:28 AM »

I made one post.  A silly .gif in response to one of keefe's rants.  I'm not sure what that confirms about my character.

That's part of your problem.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »

Listen, let's not turn this into another fireballing thread. Unless I missed something in the Engineering thread Sultan posted a GIF that had nothing to do with PTSD commentary but was around Scoop being a crotchety old man domain.

Given the topic of this thread, can we all just back off and be respectful?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »
#banSultan
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:31:44 AM »
Over the past three years my family has been actively involved in Warriors and Quiet Waters. WQW program is 100% geared towards active and retired combat Vets from Afghanistan and Iraq and how they handle PTSD. We have been very fortunate to have volunteered in Bozeman and have hosted three events in MKE. What my family has learned is simple, that even toughest of the toughest do not always have the ability to handle all that life throws at them. My respect for Vets , which was very high to begin with, is now off the charts.

Under no circumstances do I believe anyone should even make a backhanded joke over our Vets and PTSD. When we were in Bozeman, one of our soliders was an active Navy Seal sniper with over 20 years of service and spending time with him was one of the greatest life lessons of my life.

For this scooper, I thank Keefe and all of our proud military for their service and sacrifice that they and their family's make for us.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Why must PTSD be politicized?  I thought our country was over the spitting on veterans we saw back in the late 60's.

If you're anti-war, fine.  Don't take it out on our veterans.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:14:40 AM »
Why must PTSD be politicized?  I thought our country was over the spitting on veterans we saw back in the late 60's.

Now we're just virtually spitting on them by not adequately funding their health care.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »

I am marooned here in Italy for another two weeks.   Not a bad place to get ship wrecked, but my only English connection is a priest at the seminary, a Japanese businessman at the golf club and my wonderful wife.

My connection with the "real world" is MUScoop.  For the most part stimulating conversation, similar to my days as a bartender at the Vogue Cocktail Bar, next to the original Real Chili, across West Wisconsin from the library.

This year I plan to winter in in N.J. , have my cable t.v., and make the games at Seton Hall, the Garden, Bartley, and perhaps St. John's.  While in Italy it is mostly NOOK, Scoop, good food and MU radio at 3 in the morning.

Back on topic, over the years some of you have made very worthwhile recommendations about good reads.  For example 1919, Six Months that changed the world.  This year I finally got to the Truman bio. by David McCullough ( Who knew the rest of the story?  I didn't) and On Desperate Ground, a new book about the Marines in Korea.  (Again, who knew, I didn't know the real facts).

I read the Wikipedia brief on Marcinko, very interesting character.  I'm sure his books are stimulating, might give one a read.  You would be suprised what goes on at Rock Island, but that's another story for another time.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
What's really ironic here is that back before he got caught posting his plagiarized items several times a day, Keefe used to mock Vogue continuously.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »
What's really ironic here is that back before he got caught posting his plagiarized items several times a day, Keefe used to mock Vogue continuously.

In a way, it would be a little comforting to know that Keefe's personality traits are a result of PTSD, and not simply a personal choice to be a self-important misogynist a-hole. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.  It always bothered me that Marquette churned out a graduate like that.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:49:55 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 11:53:40 AM »
In a way, it would be a little comforting to know that Keefe's personality traits are a result of PTSD, and not simply a personal choice to be a self-important misogynist a-hole. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.  It always bothered me that Marquette churned out a graduate like that.

BINGO!
But less comforting that when Keefe was posting his plagiarized White Supremacist misogynist nonsense, guys like Ziggy had absolutely no problem with his "character".

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »

This is a key point that people either struggle with, or flat out just dont get.  They apply a one size fits all viewpoint to behavior and treatment related to mental illness. "I know someone with X, and they did this.  So since you're not acting like that, you're full of it".  Not to mention the mentality of someone is "using mental illness as an excuse".  Maybe they aren't making the best or most efficient strides in treatment or coping, but provided there is a diagnosed condition, I assure you it effecting them in ways far beyond what you're willing to give them credit for, dramatic or not.

And FWIW, pretty sure Keefe is of partially Asian descent for those who claim his ideals to be that of a white surpremacist

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
Warriorchick

Funny that you would single someone out over self-importance. There may be some on here that feel you fall into that camp.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »
Warriorchick

Funny that you would single someone out over self-importance. There may be some on here that feel you fall into that camp.

Interesting.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

C'mon F*ckin' man, The Pontiff has spoken, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »

Really? Crash is among the very best and brightest our University has turned out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »

C'mon F*ckin' man, The Pontiff has spoken, aina?

Good point, Dr Tooth.  Sultan is always Ex Cathedra.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »

After looking at that Engineering thread, I too have no idea how this broke bad on Sultan and Mutaman.  Sultan's only post was pre-any mention of PTSD.  WTF.

And in the category of "miss a little miss a lot," I long ago stopped looking at the NM thread.  Holy crap, that explains this most recent temporary though lengthy absence of Keefe.  Thanks for the link, TAMU.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:52 PM »

If you're anti-war, fine.  Don't take it out on our veterans.

Not that myth again:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/opinion/myth-spitting-vietnam-protester.html

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »

Really? Crash is among the very best and brightest our University has turned out.

Your definition of "best and brightest" must be problematic. Character is everything, and to the extent his postings here have revealed who he is, his character is sorely deficient. I'm with chick here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 02:00:17 PM »

We don't know that he does suffer from PTSD.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
After looking at that Engineering thread, I too have no idea how this broke bad on Sultan and Mutaman.  Sultan's only post was pre-any mention of PTSD.  WTF.

And in the category of "miss a little miss a lot," I long ago stopped looking at the NM thread.  Holy crap, that explains this most recent temporary though lengthy absence of Keefe.  Thanks for the link, TAMU.

As someone who has disagreed often with both Sultan and Chick, I think they have come under unwarranted attack here.

But, I simply look at who is making the attacks and all is explained.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
Yes, the tribes have retreated and are making ad hominem attacks.  Insulting  PTSD or using it as an insult is wrong.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
Not that myth again:  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/opinion/myth-spitting-vietnam-protester.html

So I guess the fact that military personnel were barred from wearing uniforms of base in Boston during the Vietnam era due to a rash of civilian beatings of military personnel in uniform doesn't count because it wasn't spitting?

Side note, my dad came back state side from a posting in the Philippines in 1972 and he and his flight crew were absolutely accosted by protesters calling names and shoving....but they didn't spit so that's cool.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 02:45:08 PM »
MU03ENG

No chance on having reasonable discussion with Billy. Sorry to hear what your Dad had to encounter upon his return home.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 03:00:40 PM »
Warriorchick

When chick comes on Scoop for the singular purpose of pompously informing the community how fantastic she is, how awesomely successful she is, how ultra-important she is to all of Western society, and oh-by-the-way first responders are pathetic losers, then you'll have a point.  Until then...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
We don't know that he does suffer from PTSD.

Crash has shared that he was injured in combat.  I don't know if that includes PTSD, I'm not going to speak for him on that, but I am going to cut some slack for a Purple Heart vet. 

For the record, I've never met Crash, I don't know who he is in real life and have only exchanged a few notes with him via PMs on this website.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »
When chick comes on Scoop for the singular purpose of pompously informing the community how fantastic she is, how awesomely successful she is, how ultra-important she is to all of Western society, and oh-by-the-way first responders are pathetic losers, then you'll have a point.  Until then...

Well there was that time that she "plagiarized a Holocaust denier to argue the merits of the Confederacy."   Or wait, maybe I'm thinking of somebody else.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

Wait a minute.  I hear that most every night.   :o

Kidding, kidding.  Having some fun.  (Crap. Banished to the couch tonight!)  ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
In before the lock....

I actually am "enjoying" this thread.  We all have much more in common than our petty internet fights might suggest.  I've had the pleasure to meet a number of you, and I find the b1tch slapping going on at times here to ring untrue to my in-person experiences. 

Breathe in, breathe out...

That JB dude reminds me of the shady guy who moved into our neighborhood a few years ago.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:03:42 PM by real chili 83 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
Wait a minute.  I hear that most every night.   :o

Kidding, kidding.  Having some fun.  (Crap. Banished to the couch tonight!)  ;D

Well, to be fair, I am the reason our kids are good-looking.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »

That IS true.   :-*

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 04:39:07 PM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »

For the record, I've never met Crash, I don't know who he is in real life and have only exchanged a few notes with him via PMs on this website.

For the record, I have met Crash. He was very nice to me and we had a good long conversation about Marquette and plenty of other stuff.

As always, we tend to judge people on how they interact with us ... which is pretty normal.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »

pics?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2018, 05:27:11 PM »
Crash has shared that he was injured in combat.  I don't know if that includes PTSD, I'm not going to speak for him on that, but I am going to cut some slack for a Purple Heart vet. 

If he does have PTSD - I pray he gets any help he needs. I had figured he had some bi-polar or similar disorder as he could be very interesting and conversational at times. At other times, he simply came on to brag about himself.

I've had a lot of good conversations with him here on SCOOP. There is no doubt that many of his posts are simple copy/paste jobs and I wish he would give attribution, but they obviously reflect how he feels so I just let it go.

Overall, an interesting guy with a few issues - just like a lot of us here. I certainly wouldn't mind meeting and talking to him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
Neva met da cat, butt guaranteed eye like 'im and have admiration, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
Neva met da cat, butt guaranteed eye like 'im and have admiration, hey?

nh?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
Keefe duzant kneed me, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
Keefe duzant kneed me, hey?

The baby David might tho. #muhneyyTeam

See you at the Bethune Cookman game, maine?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »

If he does have PTSD - I pray he gets any help he needs. I had figured he had some bi-polar or similar disorder as he could be very interesting and conversational at times. At other times, he simply came on to brag about himself.

I've had a lot of good conversations with him here on SCOOP. There is no doubt that many of his posts are simple copy/paste jobs and I wish he would give attribution, but they obviously reflect how he feels so I just let it go.

Overall, an interesting guy with a few issues - just like a lot of us here. I certainly wouldn't mind meeting and talking to him.

i've got to give credit where credit is due-it's easy for us to give kudos to the posters here we "see eye to eye with" , but this was a very cool post brandy! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
I kan sub four keefe if he can't make it, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
ya know what they say when you've walked the walk...it ain't braggin
don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
nh?
Such a scared and weak person.  Even given the subject matter, and opportunity, to take a humane position you can't do it.  You have to go for hatred?

On subject.......The advancements around mental health and how it is applies to those that choose to serve the country is spectacular.  I'm not knowledgeable as to how it is applied to military training and those deployed but i assume it is. 

If you work in an urban environment you see homeless vets that are suffering from PTSD every day - find a local non-profit that helps them and support that NP (if you are in KC and need contacts on this, hit me up)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:53:34 PM by naginiF »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »
Such a scared and weak person.  Even given the subject matter, and opportunity, to take a humane position you can't do it.  You have to go for hatred?

On subject.......The advancements around mental health and how it is applies to those that choose to serve the country is spectacular.  I'm not knowledgeable as to how it is applied to military training and those deployed but i assume it is. 

If you work in an urban environment you see homeless vets that are suffering from PTSD every day - find a local non-profit that helps them and support that NP (if you are in KC and need contacts on this, hit me up)

S*** me. There's no hatred. I was born and raised in the inner city, stop pretending you know me. I'll be at the game on 11/10 if you want to meet up, or happy to fly to KC for a nice meal, football game and discussion. LMK

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
S*** me. There's no hatred. I was born and raised in the inner city, stop pretending you know me. I'll be at the game on 11/10 if you want to meet up, or happy to fly to KC for a nice meal, football game and discussion. LMK
Homophobia and misogyny are both forms of hatred.

PM for the rest

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
Homophobia and misogyny are both forms of hatred.

PM for the rest

Thank you keeping politics to PM. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2018, 08:48:17 AM »

But its not funny, and its inexcusable.  I'm just shocked that your first response in this thread isn't an apology.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
But its not funny, and its inexcusable.  I'm just shocked that your first response in this thread isn't an apology.

Is PTSD an untouchable concept for comedy?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
"Honey, I am going to go deal with my PTSD by walking 5 miles with a 15 lb bag on my back stopping occasionally to make awkward movements involving 18 separate challenges."    Kind of funny.
"He's an idiot.   Must be the PTSD."    Not funny.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »

“Yes, it is.  Unless you put an “Justice for Trayvon” sticker on your Prius first.  Then you can make fun of anyone you want.”   
Not funny. 

“Not as much as making fun of clergy abuse victims.”
Not funny.

Search — site:muscoop.com Sultan PTSD
Results: Not funny. 

It appears that even the first derivative of PTSD jokes aren’t funny. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
“Yes, it is.  Unless you put an “Justice for Trayvon” sticker on your Prius first.  Then you can make fun of anyone you want.”   
Not funny. 

“Not as much as making fun of clergy abuse victims.”
Not funny.

Search — site:muscoop.com Sultan PTSD
Results: Not funny. 

It appears that even the first derivative of PTSD jokes aren’t funny.

Interesting.
So, there's a critically praised, and somewhat commercially successful, comedy on FX called "You're the Worst," which finds humor (mostly dark humor) in the mental illnesses of its protagonists, one of them being a veteran with PTSD. The writers have worked with actual veterans on developing that character, and in finding the occasional humor in their affliction (and how they use humor to deal with it).
Is that out of line?

Likewise, was it unfunny when Eddie Murphy did his famous "dress like a white person" skit on SNL to comedically shine the light on racial disparities? Or Any Schumer's "Friday Night Lights" parody about rape and football culture.
Obviously, like rape and racism, PTSD isn't funny. But I'm a little surprised by the strident "don't joke about" attitude here.
Don't mock those afflicted? Obviously. But I don't think PTSD stands alone among all our societal problems as being untouchable for comedy.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
Are cancer jokes funny?  Is altzheimers or dementia funny?  I suppose to some people, but not if you have lived with it up close. If a cancer patient can find some levity in their situation all the better, but it is never my right to make a joke at their expense.  To cover up thuggish behavior hiding behind an argument in favor if free speech and against political correctness is evil.

Hurting someone is never funny and it is the someone who decides what is funny or not. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »
Are cancer jokes funny?  Is altzheimers or dementia funny?  I suppose to some people, but not if you have lived with it up close. If a cancer patient can find some levity in their situation all the better, but it is never my right to make a joke at their expense.  To cover up thuggish behavior hiding behind an argument in favor if free speech and against political correctness is evil.

Hurting someone is never funny and it is the someone who decides what is funny or not.

It's all perspective.  Went to a George Carlin show awhile back with friends.  He had a length (and I mean lengthy) bit about suicide.  One of or friends had a sister who committed suicide in the recent past.  To say it was awkward for us was an understatement.

Most of the audience laughed repeatedly, our friend never laughed.

Afterward a couple of us asked if she was ok, her response was, I'm fine.  I'm glad he did the bit, although I couldn't find it funny, and it brought up painful memories, it brought attention to a topic people are afraid to talk about.

Sometimes the comedy isn't about making everyone laugh, but bringing attention to a problem we feel too uncomfortable to talk about.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
It's all perspective.  Went to a George Carlin show awhile back with friends.  He had a length (and I mean lengthy) bit about suicide.  One of or friends had a sister who committed suicide in the recent past.  To say it was awkward for us was an understatement.

Most of the audience laughed repeatedly, our friend never laughed.

Afterward a couple of us asked if she was ok, her response was, I'm fine.  I'm glad he did the bit, although I couldn't find it funny, and it brought up painful memories, it brought attention to a topic people are afraid to talk about.

Sometimes the comedy isn't about making everyone laugh, but bringing attention to a problem we feel too uncomfortable to talk about.

Interesting spin, nothing personal, but we need to talk seriously about serious subjects.  There are many topics to mine for comedy.  I loved George Carlin, sometimes I have even tried to imitate him, I'm suprised he did a shtick on suicide. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »

Yes, this exactly.
Sometimes great comedy can just be funny. And sometimes great comedy can be both funny and a means of addressing serious issues we face as a country/world.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »
Yes, this exactly.
Sometimes great comedy can just be funny. And sometimes great comedy can be both funny and a means of addressing serious issues we face as a country/world.

Oh boy, the end justifies the means.  I don't like crossing swords with the Jebbies, but?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

My gif wasn’t in response to anything related to PTSD. I had just texted my wife the same image and just decided to post it in response to a ridiculous post.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked.  Upon further review, currently on my computer screen shows 5 threads locked on the screen.  I decided to scroll down through 11 pages to arrive at the beginning of 2018.  The leaders with the most threads started that were locked.  It's as if some of these people my intentionally start a few topics with that intent.   ::)

MU82   10 threads locked
Tuggspeedman  (is this person still here?)  8 threads locked
Jesmu84    6 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
Ellenson Guerrero   2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads
Efficient Frontier 2 threads

About 10 people with 1 thread.   

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
Surprised this thread hasn't been locked.  Upon further review, currently on my computer screen shows 5 threads locked on the screen.  I decided to scroll down through 11 pages to arrive at the beginning of 2018.  The leaders with the most threads started that were locked.  It's as if some of these people my intentionally start a few topics with that intent.   ::)

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

cubbiechicos, just so you have a little perspective ...

A couple of mods declared quite some time ago that any Superbar thread I start, no matter how innocuous, will be locked. It's become a bit of a running joke here.

I fully admit that a couple (maybe even a few) were started knowing they would be "controversial," but even those were worthwhile subjects for discussion (IMHO obviously). The majority were quite innocuous but we locked either out of habit because I started them or because the content got unruly.

I don't start threads thinking, "Oh, let's see how quickly this one can get locked" or "Let's see if the mods don't notice this one for X number of days." I try to start threads that are interesting.

Let's say I start a thread on an interesting situation that brings about a discussion of race in our society. That, in and of itself, is not political at all. Nor does it have to get nasty. And I think we can all agree that it's an important topic, very relevant. Invariably, however, it gets heated, and invariably, it gets locked. Was that a "bad thread" for me to have started?

Let it be known I am not claiming I'm a victim here. I know the deal; it's a freakin' interwebs chat board. I get to state my opinion plenty. I don't feel picked on at all in the locked-thread realm.

FWIW, I'm quite sure that if you scrolled down a couple years earlier, you would have found a LOT more by the guy I call Smuggles. (Heisenberg, Tugg, etc)

Oh, and if you scrolled back several years, a fine gentleman who went by "chicos" almost surely would be at or very near the top of your leaderboard.

What's a chicos, anyway?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2018, 02:20:44 PM »

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

Pretty sure Tuggs and Efficient Frontier are the same person. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

MU82   10 threads locked
BabyDavid   2 threads
Wadesworld  2 threads
MUWarrior 69  2 threads

Jeez. I didn't realize I was that far behind