[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219494 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #850 on: July 08, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
I love this signing by the Bucks. Very smart move. Keeps Giannis and family happy. Now MU should go ahead and offer baby brother Alex....:)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #851 on: July 11, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
Yep. Pretty amazing.

Related:

Glenn Rivers and I went to MU at the same time and had several classes together, and I later got to know him professionally. A good guy and a fine coach. However ...

He had some talented Clippers teams that never did squat in the playoffs, and he is basically living off his one title with a loaded Celtics team that was kind of the trendsetter for the superteams that have followed. He has the makings of a superteam again, and with the Warriors unlikely to be championship-quality next season, he will be one of the favorites to win it all.

It will be interesting to see if he and his team can live up to the hype. With the Hornets about to be a 25-win team (at best), I am adopting the Clips as my NBA team to root for in 2019-20.

To be fair, he never suffered a true upset in the playoffs with the Clips.  First two years he lost in the second round to the 2 seed as a 3 seed and then the next two years he lost as a 4 to the 5.  I however also find it curious that each of those 4 teams featured Chris Paul, who has no history of playoff success and seems to be boogeyman on teams looking to make deep runs.  But I would agree people expected more.

Its interesting, Rivers got shaded so much for being overrated after his Celtics title and time in LA that I think he's actually back to being quite underrated.  I think he's a fantastic coach, but a very poor front office/basketball ops guy.  Now they have Lawrence Frank and Jerry West making moves, and he's back to pure coaching, I think they are going to be THE force.  Heck, what he got out of that team this year as cannon fodder for the Warriors in the first round was incredible.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #852 on: July 11, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
Westbrook to the Rockets. Can't imagine that possibly going sideways.

OKC collecting all the first round picks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #853 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:28 PM »
Westbrook to the Rockets. Can't imagine that possibly going sideways.

OKC collecting all the first round picks.

Rockets are gonna be a hot mess. Russ and Harden fighting each other for rebounds and screaming at each other will be hilarious.

Chris Paul gonna fade off into oblivion with his albatross of a contract

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #854 on: July 11, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
Russ only yells at his teammates when teammates don’t take a shot that would get him a 10th assist for a triple double.

CP3 yells at teammates no matter what they’re doing. He’d yell at someone to run to the right and when they start running to the right he’d start yelling at them for running to the right. I can’t remember a more petty (not so) passive aggressive player in sports towards his own teammates.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #855 on: July 11, 2019, 08:27:00 PM »
Some upcoming draft is just going to be OKC emailing Adam Silver saying “we’ll take these 60 guys, alphabetical order is fine”.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #856 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
Rockets are gonna be a hot mess. Russ and Harden fighting each other for rebounds and screaming at each other will be hilarious.

Disagree 100%.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #857 on: July 11, 2019, 11:00:25 PM »
Not sure if it will be a hot mess or a huge success. Most likely something in between.

One thing it will be is interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #858 on: July 11, 2019, 11:05:46 PM »
Not sure if it will be a hot mess or a huge success. Most likely something in between.

One thing it will be is interesting.

Was just talking to a bunch of people tonight when this trade went down, including several Rockets fans. This was the general consensus.

Also, CP3 will be traded again, he is not staying in OKC.

How many first round picks will OKC end up with before next season starts.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:07:56 PM by forgetful »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #859 on: July 11, 2019, 11:28:11 PM »
What’s funny is the Thunder could be sneaky good this year, even in the West.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #860 on: July 11, 2019, 11:30:45 PM »
You have to think that you can win a title immediately to be willing to take on Chris Paul's contract.

He's 34, he gets paid $40M a year, he's been battling injuries, and he clearly is on the decline.

Not a lot of teams will be willing and/or able to even consider CP3 ... and I haven't even mentioned that he supposedly not the greatest teammate.

Despite all of that, I wouldn't doubt it if OKC finds a taker.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #861 on: July 12, 2019, 12:02:17 AM »
I saw some speculation that it might actually cost OKC some of that draft capital to find a taker for CP3 if they want to deal him. As a fan of this insanity, I hope they don't end up trading any picks for salary relief.  I'm looking forward to watching Presti try to package and kick these picks down the road so he never has to actually use them, and he can try to parlay them into stars.  I think being an NBA GM with an embarrassment of draft riches might be the most stressful job in the world. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #862 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:29 AM »
Disagree 100%.

How? Russ has never been unselfish enough to tone down anything for the sake of the team. There would be games where Paul George was going supernova and Russ would still be jacking terrible shots to thwart comebacks or momentum. I just can’t see him coexisting with Harden. Also, he’s not a good outside shooter at all, which is not a fit for that Houston offense.

I think being an NBA GM with an embarrassment of draft riches might be the most stressful job in the world.

What do you mean? It’s easy, Danny Ainge parlayed all those picks into a successful powerhouse team...oh wait

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #863 on: July 12, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
You have to think that you can win a title immediately to be willing to take on Chris Paul's contract.

He's 34, he gets paid $40M a year, he's been battling injuries, and he clearly is on the decline.

Not a lot of teams will be willing and/or able to even consider CP3 ... and I haven't even mentioned that he supposedly not the greatest teammate.

Scott Perry is listening

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #864 on: July 12, 2019, 08:21:39 AM »
It looks as though CP3 is interested in Miami to team up with JFB. I think Houston wanted a player in return because they aren't in tank mode yet with Harden, so this might work out positively for all three teams from their respective points of view.

Miami gets Paul.  Houston get's a reasonable replacement for Paul.  OKC gets draft picks.

Now in reality this is a high risk move for Houston.  They have to hope that Harden and Westbook can gel because they have mortgaged their future on it.  This might be a decent move for Miami because the East is so much weaker.  Does this make them one of the top four in the conference?  They certainly would be in the discussion.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #865 on: July 12, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
It looks as though CP3 is interested in Miami to team up with JFB. I think Houston wanted a player in return because they aren't in tank mode yet with Harden, so this might work out positively for all three teams from their respective points of view.

Miami gets Paul.  Houston get's a reasonable replacement for Paul.  OKC gets draft picks.

Now in reality this is a high risk move for Houston.  They have to hope that Harden and Westbook can gel because they have mortgaged their future on it.  This might be a decent move for Miami because the East is so much weaker.  Does this make them one of the top four in the conference?  They certainly would be in the discussion.

CP3 with JFB is blood in the water.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #866 on: July 15, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
::puts on Bucks hat. walks into bathroom and turns off lights. peeks head back out bathroom door and looks both ways to make sure no one is around. walks back into dark bathroom and closes door. stands in front of mirror, grinning mischievously::

[whispering] "JR Smith. JR Smith. JR Smith."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #867 on: July 19, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
Sew, due da Bucks now sign Kostas just ta appease Giannis, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #868 on: July 19, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »
Sew, due da Bucks now sign Kostas just ta appease Giannis, hey?
Better if they gave a big contribution to MU and we sign up Alex to keep him here.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #869 on: July 20, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
Korver to the Bucks. Outstanding.

Wouldn’t even hate JR coming in now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #870 on: July 20, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
Korver to the Bucks. Outstanding.

Wouldn’t even hate JR coming in now.

At 38, hopefully his minutes will be limited to keep him fresh.

Not expecting too much, but he will get a lot of open looks.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #871 on: July 20, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
I’m pretty pumped about Korver

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #872 on: July 20, 2019, 12:12:07 PM »
At 38, hopefully his minutes will be limited to keep him fresh.

Not expecting too much, but he will get a lot of open looks.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be a situational shooter and that’s about it. He will be fresh.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #873 on: July 21, 2019, 09:04:05 AM »
A great 14th man signing.  Limited minutes, one job.

Maybe 2 jobs.  He had a lot to do with LeBron's improved 3.  Giannis is his last pupil while still wearing the jersey.

Championship pedigree.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #874 on: July 22, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
                       ---Al McGuire

feedback