[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2019-20  (Read 219641 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NBA Thread 2018-19
« Reply #875 on: July 22, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #876 on: July 22, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #877 on: July 22, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
There is exactly one reason they did this.

And is has approximately zero chance of working.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #878 on: July 22, 2019, 02:23:36 PM »
Bucks better hurry up and return fire by signing Alexis and Francis too. Would hate to not re-sign Giannis because you left some Antetokounmpos on the table.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #879 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »
Rich Paul on Anthony Davis:

“I think he’s one of the better passing big men in our game. In my opinion, this is what makes him different from Giannis [Antetokounmpo].

“Like, if you put Anthony Davis on that Bucks team last year, they’d be playing in the Finals. He knows how to make guys better.”

Anthony Davis career assists: 982
Giannis Antetokounmpo assists in the last 3 seasons: 1,219

🤔
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #881 on: October 08, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »
Rich Paul on Anthony Davis:

“I think he’s one of the better passing big men in our game. In my opinion, this is what makes him different from Giannis [Antetokounmpo].

“Like, if you put Anthony Davis on that Bucks team last year, they’d be playing in the Finals. He knows how to make guys better.”

Anthony Davis career assists: 982
Giannis Antetokounmpo assists in the last 3 seasons: 1,219

🤔

Well, number of assists don't necessarily mean a guy is a better passer or not. I mean, Westbrook already has more assists in fewer years than Larry Bird did, and there isn't a soul in his or her right mind who would claim that Westbrook is a better passer than Bird was.

But I do get your point, wades. I think Freak is a pretty damn good passer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #882 on: October 08, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »
Well, number of assists don't necessarily mean a guy is a better passer or not. I mean, Westbrook already has more assists in fewer years than Larry Bird did, and there isn't a soul in his or her right mind who would claim that Westbrook is a better passer than Bird was.

But I do get your point, wades. I think Freak is a pretty damn good passer.

didn't know they count as passes when they ricochet off the rim/backboard?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #883 on: October 10, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »
Wrap Giannis in bubble wrap and ship him to the regular season.

BM1090

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2019-20
« Reply #884 on: October 10, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
Changed title to this season so we don't get a new thread. Season is right around the corner.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #885 on: October 17, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
Draymond Green dropping some non-China-related fire today - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27863544/teams-deserve-more-blame-top-picks-pan-out

Draymond's at least 70% right, of course.  I think the culpability of the team for players that are busts also varies across sports somewhat.  MLB clubs are probably the least at fault for their draft busts, and as a guy who's favorite team is sporting Josh Rosen every other week, the NFL is absolutely the worst about its bad teams developing good talent. NBA is probably somewhere in the middle.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #886 on: October 17, 2019, 05:25:37 PM »
Do bad teams fail to develop talent?  Or are they just bad at scouting talent which leads to poor draft choices?  Or are they bad at creating a supportive network where a player can develop both on and off the floor?

My guess is that it is all three to various degrees. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #887 on: October 21, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Zion out 6-8 weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/zion-williamson-injury-latest-pelicans-rookie-has-knee-surgery-expected-to-sit-out-6-8-weeks/?fbclid=IwAR36b1q_QP2ESwKWN21Vfts6Ue57j96747Gg8-9aHdf4pOF3Wb08GRISRBk

Not sure how well this bodes for him. He is a large man who plays a very violent style of basketball. His body will take a pounding nightly. His legs have to support a ton of weight and deal with lots of torque.

I hope he recovers fully, mostly for him and his future; he seems to get such joy out of playing basketball. Secondarily, though, if he is beset by injuries it also would be horrible for the NBA, as he is the most anticipated player to come along since LeBron. TNT and ESPN have a bunch of Pelicans games scheduled to air, and it ain't because of E'Twaun Moore.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #888 on: October 21, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
Zion out 6-8 weeks after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/zion-williamson-injury-latest-pelicans-rookie-has-knee-surgery-expected-to-sit-out-6-8-weeks/?fbclid=IwAR36b1q_QP2ESwKWN21Vfts6Ue57j96747Gg8-9aHdf4pOF3Wb08GRISRBk

Not sure how well this bodes for him. He is a large man who plays a very violent style of basketball. His body will take a pounding nightly. His legs have to support a ton of weight and deal with lots of torque.

I hope he recovers fully, mostly for him and his future; he seems to get such joy out of playing basketball. Secondarily, though, if he is beset by injuries it also would be horrible for the NBA, as he is the most anticipated player to come along since LeBron. TNT and ESPN have a bunch of Pelicans games scheduled to air, and it ain't because of E'Twaun Moore.

You hit on a lot of points that I fear will make his time in the NBA very limited. I just don't see his body holding up. More size and power than his joints are meant to take.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #889 on: October 21, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »
You hit on a lot of points that I fear will make his time in the NBA very limited. I just don't see his body holding up. More size and power than his joints are meant to take.

To be fair, much of the same was said about Barkley. And he mostly avoided serious injuries to have a heck of a career. Maybe Zion will be a big-bodied freak like Sir Charles.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #890 on: October 22, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »

"Very limited' is a stretch.  Larry Johnson was a similar build and athletic type of player and he played a decade. He had back issues, but medicine and training has come a long ways in 20 years.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #891 on: October 22, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
"Very limited' is a stretch.  Larry Johnson was a similar build and athletic type of player and he played a decade. He had back issues, but medicine and training has come a long ways in 20 years.

That was the worry with Jabari. I think Zion is more proportional. Jabari is pretty top heavy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #892 on: October 22, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »

LJ is a good comparison, probably at least as good as Barkley.

I hope you're right. I want to see Zion have a long career, both because I want good things for the young man and also because I like being entertained.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #893 on: October 22, 2019, 05:28:33 PM »
Zion 6'6 280
Charles 6'6 250
LJ 6'7 250
Lebron 6'8 250

Zion plays much more like Lebron than LJ or Charles.

IMO, he needs to drop 30-40 lbs. Quickly. Or play only in the post.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »
Zion 6'6 280
Charles 6'6 250
LJ 6'7 250
Lebron 6'8 250

Zion plays much more like Lebron than LJ or Charles.

IMO, he needs to drop 30-40 lbs. Quickly. Or play only in the post.

I'll generally agree with you that Zion's game is more similar to young LeBron's, although LBJ was (and still is) far more of a facilitator.

I do think you are misremembering a little bit how athletic both LJ and Charles were, though, especially their first few seasons. They did a lot of running-and-gunning, high-flying, slam-dunking hoopin'.

And Charles was said to be closer to 6-4. He also was legit fat his first couple seasons, living up to his "Round Mound of Rebound" nickname.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2019, 10:18:43 AM »
Well the first new Battle for LA goes to the Clips.  Its the first game of the season, so you can't take too much from it, but nice to see the Clips pull a W out without PG.  Kawhi was booed, to the surprise of nobody cause even with a new look and excitement, the Clippers will never surpass the Lakers.

Granted its not the greatest sample, but I enjoyed the complaints already from the Lebron stans that he has no help.  Lebron was fine but didn't play great.  AD and Danny Green did a lot of the heavy lifting.  But acting, yet again, like he was putting the team on his back with a bunch of bums is hilarious.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
Well the first new Battle for LA goes to the Clips.  Its the first game of the season, so you can't take too much from it, but nice to see the Clips pull a W out without PG.  Kawhi was booed, to the surprise of nobody cause even with a new look and excitement, the Clippers will never surpass the Lakers.

Granted its not the greatest sample, but I enjoyed the complaints already from the Lebron stans that he has no help.  Lebron was fine but didn't play great.  AD and Danny Green did a lot of the heavy lifting.  But acting, yet again, like he was putting the team on his back with a bunch of bums is hilarious.

The Clippers need their own place, and I believe they are building one (or at least trying to get one built) in Inglewood (ironically enough). It's bad enough that they will always be the red-haired stepchild in L.A., but playing in the same arena as the Lakers only makes it worse.

LeBron did have one incredible defensive sequence yesterday where he chased down someone (Lou Williams perhaps?) from behind to block a shot and then, seconds later, took a charge from Harrell. But he had serious trouble shooting -- even layups -- and had a bunch of turnovers. Not a great game.

I do think most observers consider this a pretty darn good supporting cast for LeBron, and that's one reason they have been picked by many to win the conference. Has he said differently?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
Lebron is going to be 35 by the end of the calendar year.  I think it is fair to say that he isn't going to be what he was.  And arguably hasn't for a couple of years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2019, 10:55:46 AM »
LeBron did have one incredible defensive sequence yesterday where he chased down someone (Lou Williams perhaps?) from behind to block a shot and then, seconds later, took a charge from Harrell. But he had serious trouble shooting -- even layups -- and had a bunch of turnovers. Not a great game.

I do think most observers consider this a pretty darn good supporting cast for LeBron, and that's one reason they have been picked by many to win the conference. Has he said differently?

It was Shamet.  His timing on those blocks has always been great.  Wasn't exactly a chase down as they were stride for stride from center court, but still well done.

And he hasn't...yet.  Gotta wait until things go sideways.  Its just from his supporters and biased observers.  He will wear down, and its yet to be seen how chemistry is in that team.  I don't think its a given they are gonna be contenders.  I still think the Rockets, Nuggets, and Clippers will be better.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #899 on: October 24, 2019, 04:50:15 AM »
Can anyone provide a quick list of MU alumns on rosters this year?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence