'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Minutes for 18-19  (Read 19266 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Minutes for 18-19
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
Sacar and Cain would be more than capable at the 2 in stretches where Markus is playing 1 or sitting. Heck some were even suggesting bailey there at one point this summer

I think Bailey can absolutely play the 2.

The concern is more at 1. Joe and Markus should be fine most games but I would love to have a third at least capable of playing the 1. I can see a nightmare game where Markus gets three fouls before the second TV timeout and Joe gets hurt or is just gassed by halftime. Without Greg you probably have to have Sam bring the ball up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Heard similar things about BB. That's why I had Cain pegged as a possible redshirt because I think BB may eat some of his minutes.

I think Matt is going to get less minutes than last season and may not start, but I think its wishful thinking to say that we are going to be so good that all his minutes disappear. I think John and Heldt will get at least 25 minutes at the 5.

The bit about Greg is concerning. When I wrote the redshirt article, the last news we had gotten was that Greg had been pain free for months. If the thumb is still bothering him than that could change my thoughts on who should take a season off. I hope Greg is good to go, he was our best defender last season and I would hate to only go 2 deep at PG.

As always thanks for the scoops OnePost

I hope that Greg is alright and that his thumb improves to the point where he's a contributor this year.
The redshirt hypothetical was 100% my own opinion, nothing that was passed along, just to clarify.  All I was told was that Greg's thumb has been a lingering issue.

I feel confident that between Sacar, Brendan, even Sam and Jamal in certain instances, we'd have some 2-guard depth.  While I love what Greg brings, I do think from a class-staggering standpoint, from a 2018-2019 minute share standpoint, and for his own development, a Sacar-like redshirt could do him some good.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2018, 04:24:11 PM »
I hope that Greg is alright and that his thumb improves to the point where he's a contributor this year.
The redshirt hypothetical was 100% my own opinion, nothing that was passed along, just to clarify.  All I was told was that Greg's thumb has been a lingering issue.

I feel confident that between Sacar, Brendan, even Sam and Jamal in certain instances, we'd have some 2-guard depth.  While I love what Greg brings, I do think from a class-staggering standpoint, from a 2018-2019 minute share standpoint, and for his own development, a Sacar-like redshirt could do him some good.
Elliot and Cain are like two peas in a pod. Hard to see a RS that would leave Greg w/o Jamal in his last season?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
Elliot and Cain are like two peas in a pod. Hard to see a RS that would leave Greg w/o Jamal in his last season?

Even if its due to his thumb?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
I know it's fun to try and dole out minutes, but I suspect reality will look quite different once actual play begins.  What we really have here is luxury - as on any given night we could have one or more players with foul trouble. injury, illness or just a good old off night.  We have luxury to rest our best players, who were more like marathon men last year.  We can send Theo in to bang up people on the boards and not worry that we're f'd when he draws four fouls in the first half.  Someone can be stupid, throw beers off their balcony and be suspended for a game. We can have a mid-year transfer (but please, no!) and not be worried that we have no backup for certain positions.

Minutes will vary from night to night, but the real concept here is that we can weather all of the above scenarios as well as some unimagined ones and still feel like we can field a solid team.  That's what really matters.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
Even if its due to his thumb?
Well yeah ,if that is a real issue.  Otherwise, nah.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »
let's see how you'd handle it.  You continue to make comments, but have yet to show how you'd get Greg and Cain big minutes.
I have outlined my minutes view in other threads. I will outline here again. I see the rotation being very similar to what we had in 2016-17. When Wojo and JJJ signed their armistice at the end of the prior season that indirectly led to the development of this rotational strategy. That is, the top players in practice will be the starters and in the rotation. We will have a 9-10 man rotation, based on practice performance,  with substitutions coming at the TV timeouts and players with hot hands will stay in extra. If we get into severe foul trouble we may go 11 deep. At the end of each game we will have the two premium players, Markus and Sam in,  plus the other 3 best performing players in that particular game. We ended up going to the tournament that year and it all worked very well.

The only guy who clearly won't get any meaningful minutes at this point will be Ike . There will always be guys with injuries etc. For example Greg apparently jammed the same thumb he hurt.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2018, 08:01:17 PM »
I have outlined my minutes view in other threads. I will outline here again. I see the rotation being very similar to what we had in 2016-17. When Wojo and JJJ signed their armistice at the end of the prior season that indirectly led to the development of this rotational strategy. That is, the top players in practice will be the starters and in the rotation. We will have a 9-10 man rotation, based on practice performance,  with substitutions coming at the TV timeouts and players with hot hands will stay in extra. If we get into severe foul trouble we may go 11 deep. At the end of each game we will have the two premium players, Markus and Sam in,  plus the other 3 best performing players in that particular game. We ended up going to the tournament that year and it all worked very well.

The only guy who clearly won't get any meaningful minutes at this point will be Ike . There will always be guys with injuries etc. For example Greg apparently jammed the same thumb he hurt.

So assuming everyone is practicing well, who is #11?
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:42 PM »
I have outlined my minutes view in other threads. I will outline here again.

You really haven't. This is an exercise for fun. Divide 200 minutes between 12 guys. No one will hold you to it when you're wrong (like we all always are).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2018, 08:29:41 AM »
I’ll do mine later.
But Tamu: Cain with 5 total min per game? He’s gone at semester then.

Therealwrk: Heldt at 4 min per game? Yikes bikes.

FJM, More like Yikes Buycks!

I RSed GE becuase of some news I heard over the weekend. Same news included Heldt getting limited minutes as he's had almost no improvement (read, hit his ceiling). Same news included Bailey is an absolute monster and will be seeing a lot of minutes.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 10:24:51 AM »
FJM, More like Yikes Buycks!

I RSed GE becuase of some news I heard over the weekend. Same news included Heldt getting limited minutes as he's had almost no improvement (read, hit his ceiling). Same news included Bailey is an absolute monster and will be seeing a lot of minutes.

I wonder if Heldt is behind due to his injury.
Goal is National Championship

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
The concern is more at 1. Joe and Markus should be fine most games but I would love to have a third at least capable of playing the 1. I can see a nightmare game where Markus gets three fouls before the second TV timeout and Joe gets hurt or is just gassed by halftime. Without Greg you probably have to have Sam bring the ball up.

Brendan Antetokoumpo or Giannis Bailey at the 1, take your pick.

If the handles he displayed are for realz, Scoopers should have much fewer worries about the press break this year.
Wait, what am I talking about? It's Scoop!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »
Hopefully my math is correct and the following precludes there will be plenty of minutes when there's not a true post on the court.... assuming Greg doesn't hit the court at all this year and IKE gets junk mins.

Post/Forward: Joey @ 10 Mins; Ed @ 10 mins; Matt H @ 10 mins; Theo @ 10 mins
Forward: Ed @ 15; Joey @ 5; Sam @ 20
Other Forward/Wing: Sam @ 10; Sacar @ 10; Cain @ 5; Brendan @ 15
Other Guard/Wing: Howard @ 15; Sacar @ 10; Cain @ 10; Brendan @ 5
Primary Ball Handler ( ::): Joe @ 25, Howard @ 15

Min totals by season's end -

Howard = 30
Sam = 30
Ed = 25
Joe = 25
Brendan = 20
Sacar = 20
Joey = 15
Cain = 15
Matt = 10
John = 10

Hot hands and defensive stoppers getting extra mins per games where they are smoke'n hot!!!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:47:40 PM by noblewarrior »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
Amending after the news about Greg.

1: Joe 24, Markus 16
2: Markus 12, Sacar 22, Brendan 6
3: Sam 11, Brendan 14, Jamal 15
4: Ed 23, Sam 17
5: Matt 15, Joey 15, Theo 10

Sam 28
Markus 28
Joe 24
Ed 23
Sacar 22
Brendan 20
Joey 15
Jamal 15
Matt 15
Theo 10
Eke Garbage Time

This might just be until Greg is healthy again, but it could be for the whole season. Think Greg is now the leading redshirt candidate if there is one.
TAMU

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2018, 10:22:32 PM »

Sam 28
Markus 28
Joe 24
Ed 23
Sacar 22
Brendan 20
Joey 15
Jamal 15
Matt 15
Theo 10
Eke Garbage Time

This might just be until Greg is healthy again, but it could be for the whole season. Think Greg is now the leading redshirt candidate if there is one.

These numbers look good to me but switch Theo and Matt.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
These numbers look good to me but switch Theo and Matt.

I know that's the hope of many but I don't think it will happen. When's the last time two players at the same position switched spots on the depth chart after a year?

Maybe this is the year it happens because Matt missed a lot of the offseason, but I'm not so sure. Matt was the much better player last season.
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »

Sam 28
Markus 28
Joe 24
Ed 23
Sacar 22
Brendan 20
Joey 15
Jamal 15
Matt 15
Theo 10
Eke Garbage Time

TAMU, I'm going to ask you to reconsider one thing at least.  There is no chance in h*ll that the starting guard combo of Chartouny and Markus are seeing 12 minutes together a game.  That's 28 minutes of a suboptimal combination.   No chance.  You have to up Joe's minutes and move Markus to more time at the 2 guard.  Also, Theo is NOT playing 10 minutes a game.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2018, 07:55:29 AM »
And just so you guys have me on record.....

1: Joe 28, Markus 12
2: Markus 18, Sacar 18, Brendan 4
3: Sam 17, Brendan 10, Jamal 13
4: Ed 22, Sam 11, Joey 7
5: Matt 15, Theo 18, Joey 7

Markus 30
Sam 28
Joe 28
Ed 22
Theo 18
Sacar 18
Matt 15
Brendan 14
Joey 14
Jamal 13
Eke Garbage Time

But I will agree with an assertion Mom made.  Each and every game could be quite different.  I'm envisioning Wojo having 'units' that enable him to match up and exploit different gameplans.  Apart from the guard line where we can expect lots of Joe/Markus every night, he can ask guys to have maximum impact by doing what each of them individually does best.  So some nights maybe Cain has a huge matchup advantage and plays a lot.  Or Ed spends a night beating the snot out of some particular guy because that's what's necessary.  Maybe there's some nights where Sammy is more necessary at the 3 than the 4.  Stuff like that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
But I will agree with an assertion Mom made.  Each and every game could be quite different.  I'm envisioning Wojo having 'units' that enable him to match up and exploit different gameplans.  Apart from the guard line where we can expect lots of Joe/Markus every night, he can ask guys to have maximum impact by doing what each of them individually does best.  So some nights maybe Cain has a huge matchup advantage and plays a lot.  Or Ed spends a night beating the snot out of some particular guy because that's what's necessary.  Maybe there's some nights where Sammy is more necessary at the 3 than the 4.  Stuff like that.

most even dispersement of SOTGs ever?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »
most even dispersement of SOTGs ever?

Good point.  Makes sense.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »
1: Joe 30, Markus 10
2: Markus 25, Sacar 10, Jamal 5
3: Sam 5, Jamal 10, Brendan 15, Sacar 10
4: Ed 10, Sam 20, Joey 10
5: Matt 10, Joey 10, Theo 15, Ed 5

Sam 25
Markus 35
Joe 30
Ed 15
Sacar 20
Brendan 15
Joey 20
Jamal 15
Matt 10
Theo 15
Eke Garbage Time
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
Ed at 15 minutes? No way. Dude was one of the top 25 rebounders in the country two seasons ago. Also a better defender than anyone who was on the roster last season. If he's at 15 minutes a game he's either regressed or some other players have taken massive leaps.

I also would plan to be patient with Joey. Kid is talented but is still a freshman. I think he settles into the role of ultra efficient backup.

I don't fear Markus at point as many others seem to. Just because he's a score first player doesn't mean he's a quality PG.
TAMU

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
Ed at 15 minutes? No way. Dude was one of the top 25 rebounders in the country two seasons ago. Also a better defender than anyone who was on the roster last season. If he's at 15 minutes a game he's either regressed or some other players have taken massive leaps.

I also would plan to be patient with Joey. Kid is talented but is still a freshman. I think he settles into the role of ultra efficient backup.

I don't fear Markus at point as many others seem to. Just because he's a score first player doesn't mean he's a quality PG.

That's fine, I could be talked into Ed and Joey flipping minutes.

Marcus would have to progress a lot as a PG to earn more than 10 minutes, both in his handle as well as his defense (especially versus a drive and distribute PG) IMO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
Edited with Greg news (assuming redshirt):

PG: Chartouney (25), Markus (15)
SG: Sacar (20), Markus (15), Bailey (5) [Markus starts]
SF: Sam (15), Cain (15), Bailey (10)
PF: Morrow (15), Sam (15), Joey (10)
C: John (15), Morrow (10), Heldt (10), Joey (5)

Eke: Garbage time only

Totals:
Markus: 30
Sam: 30
Morrow: 25
Chartouney: 25
Sacar: 20
Theo: 15
Joey: 15
Cain: 15
Bailey: 15
Heldt: 10
Ike: Garbage time only
Greg: Redshirt
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »

That's fine, I could be talked into Ed and Joey flipping minutes.

Marcus would have to progress a lot as a PG to earn more than 10 minutes, both in his handle as well as his defense (especially versus a drive and distribute PG) IMO

Who's Marcus?