[Today at 11:24:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Minutes for 18-19  (Read 19435 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Minutes for 18-19
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
Kids transfer when they believe they are better than the players, playing in front of them.  When their coach doesn't see their talent, they move on - like any rational person would.

Cain is a top 7-8 guy on this roster, possibly a Top 5.  Huge difference maker on defensive end.  Not a redshirt candidate - yet I also do get TAMU's point - and at one point felt it might make sense to redshirt him this season.  But, if anyone is to redshirt, the best candidate would be Elliott. 

I'm pretty sure Wojo has a good understanding of Cain's talent and where he fits on this team. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
Kids transfer when they believe they are better than the players, playing in front of them.  When their coach doesn't see their talent, they move on - like any rational person would.

Cain is a top 7-8 guy on this roster, possibly a Top 5.  Huge difference maker on defensive end.  Not a redshirt candidate - yet I also do get TAMU's point - and at one point felt it might make sense to redshirt him this season.  But, if anyone is to redshirt, the best candidate would be Elliott.

I'd argue far more kids transfer because they realize that they're in over their heads at a certain level and look to move down.  Otherwise you'd see more guys transferring from the likes of Marquette to other high major schools (or even blue blood schools) and proving their worth there.  Instead, obviously with a few exceptions, you typically see guys at a Marquette level transfer to a Toledo, Florida Gulf Coast, Liberty, etc.  For every player that transfers to, and does well for, an Iowa State, there are about 10 that transfer to a Tennessee Tech.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
I think the general consensus on Bailey might be a little too optimistic, and I also think that Joey getting to be with the team for a good chunk of the year last year will really help him this year. I also just don't see a role for Greg given the seniority and talent above him at G. I think he's got a lot of potential, but he's going to have a hard time earning minutes on this roster.

PG) Joe - 25, Markus 15
SG) Markus - 15, Sacar - 20, Greg - 5
SF) Sam - 20, Brendan - 10, Jamal - 10
PF) Joey - 20, Sam - 10, Ed - 10
C ) Theo - 15, Ed - 15, Matt - 10

Totals come out to:

Markus - 30
Sam - 30
Joe - 25
Ed - 25
Sacar - 20
Joey - 20
Theo - 15
Brendan - 10
Jamal - 10
Heldt - 10
Greg - 5

I could see the C minutes flip between Matt and Ed, though. Since Ed is more of a traditional bruiser, his minutes may take more of a toll on him than the average guy.

The long story short here is that we should be able to match up with any team well. We have enough size inside to have a big rotation, enough talent on the perimeter to go small and fast, and there's enough depth with our "switchables" to fill any gaps in between. It will be nice to have lineups actually get to be more focused on the best defensive options rather than needing to keep certain guys on the floor just to put points on the board.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 12:10:56 PM »
I think the general consensus on Bailey might be a little too optimistic, and I also think that Joey getting to be with the team for a good chunk of the year last year will really help him this year. I also just don't see a role for Greg given the seniority and talent above him at G. I think he's got a lot of potential, but he's going to have a hard time earning minutes on this roster.

PG) Joe - 25, Markus 15
SG) Markus - 15, Sacar - 20, Greg - 5
SF) Sam - 20, Brendan - 10, Jamal - 10
PF) Joey - 20, Sam - 10, Ed - 10
C ) Theo - 15, Ed - 15, Matt - 10

Totals come out to:

Markus - 30
Sam - 30
Joe - 25
Ed - 25
Sacar - 20
Joey - 20
Theo - 15
Brendan - 10
Jamal - 10
Heldt - 10
Greg - 5

I could see the C minutes flip between Matt and Ed, though. Since Ed is more of a traditional bruiser, his minutes may take more of a toll on him than the average guy.

The long story short here is that we should be able to match up with any team well. We have enough size inside to have a big rotation, enough talent on the perimeter to go small and fast, and there's enough depth with our "switchables" to fill any gaps in between. It will be nice to have lineups actually get to be more focused on the best defensive options rather than needing to keep certain guys on the floor just to put points on the board.
Greg will play far more than 5 minutes.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
Greg will play far more than 5 minutes.

I think a big reason why he was able to earn minute last year was because of his defense. With this year's lineup, I don't see that being as big of a need. And I don't think he's as good offensively as our other guards or wings to warrant big minutes. I think he's a good player, good athlete, and good teammate; I just have a hard time seeing where he fits in with this group of guys.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
Does anyone else think that we might be overestimating JC's minutes a bit?  I think he will be a good and important player, but maybe not in November and December.  KR had a 6 game stretch from Nov-Dec where he shot 11-49,  Carlino had a 5 game stretch in Nov where he shot 18-53.  Obviously different players, different roles, different teams, but if JC struggles against I4 and in Brooklyn, he could get a shorter leash going forward, which would create an opportunity for the likes of Greg, and Sacar in G roles.  I don't think a scenario where JC gets 20 mpg at point, and Markus and Greg each get 10 is unrealistic.  Then if Greg can get the 5 mpg off the ball that many are predicting he'd end up with 15, which should be enough to keep him happy, even if it is less than last year. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »
I'd argue far more kids transfer because they realize that they're in over their heads at a certain level and look to move down.  Otherwise you'd see more guys transferring from the likes of Marquette to other high major schools (or even blue blood schools) and proving their worth there.  Instead, obviously with a few exceptions, you typically see guys at a Marquette level transfer to a Toledo, Florida Gulf Coast, Liberty, etc.  For every player that transfers to, and does well for, an Iowa State, there are about 10 that transfer to a Tennessee Tech.

True statement.  Was speaking from the perspective of a kid like Cain (in the event he was gonna get 5 minutes per game this season), yet realize it came off as a blanket statement.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
The last time Wojo had depth was 2017. That team had three seniors with high expectations, and the player that led them in minutes was freshman Sam Hauser...with less than 27 minutes per game. With this kind of depth, I don't think anyone gets close to 30 mpg.

PG: Chartouny 24, Howard 10, Elliott 6
SG: Howard 16, Anim 14, Elliott 8, Bailey 2
SF: S. Hauser 20, Cain 12, Bailey 8
PF: E. Morrow 20, J. Hauser 10, S. Hauser 6, Cain 4
C: John 16, Heldt 15, J. Hauser 5, Eke 4

Totals

Sam Hauser 26
Markus Howard 26
Joseph Chartouny 24
Ed Morrow 20
Jamal Cain 16
Theo John 16
Matt Heldt 15
Joey Hauser 15
Sacar Anim 14
Greg Elliott 14
Brenden Bailey 10
Ike Eke 4

Lots of game-to-game fluctuation. Almost everyone will see 20 minute nights with some regularity, but also nights where they don't crack double digits. Lots of mixing and matching along with hockey style line changes.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Markus - 27
Sam - 27
JC - 22
Ed - 20
Joey - 18
Sacar - 18
Matt - 18
Theo - 14
Jamal - 14
Greg - 12
Bailey - 10
Ike - Spot

onepost

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
From what I've been told:

- Bailey has been our best player in practice all summer, to the point where people are beginning to think that he could START sooner than later.  Like I've said for months, he's gonna be a huge part of what we do from game 1.
- It's looking like Theo should start this season: with Ed and Joey our first guys off the bench.  I think people pegging Joey for 10 minutes/game only are crazy - just my two cents.
- Heldt is shaping up to get little to no clock.  He's a mid-major player.
- Markus is fine, like we all assumed.  Was already practicing yesterday.
- Greg's thumb is a real issue.  We've discussed redshirts in another thread but I really think he's our best candidate.  If he's willing to take the Sacar route, that would do him and the team a lot of good IMO.

Again, just passing along things I've been told by someone there every day of practice.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:53:40 PM by onepostwatts »

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »
The last time Wojo had depth was 2017. That team had three seniors with high expectations, and the player that led them in minutes was freshman Sam Hauser...with less than 27 minutes per game. With this kind of depth, I don't think anyone gets close to 30 mpg.

The 2017 team didn't have anyone anywhere nearly as talented and valuable as the 18-19 versions of Sam and Markus, though. We may have been deep then because talent was at parity, but the level of talent was lower. If Sam as a freshman logged 27 minutes a game, then improved as a sophomore, doesn't it sound a little backward to assume he'll play less this season?

You put the best 5 guys for the situation out there. And in most cases, that means you'll want Sam and Markus on the floor. They're just that good.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:36 PM »

- Bailey has been our best player in practice all summer, to the point where people are beginning to think that he could START sooner than later.  Like I've said for months, he's gonna be a huge part of what we do from game 1.
- It's looking like Theo should start this season: with Ed and Joey our first guys off the bench.  I think people pegging Joey for 10 minutes/game only are crazy - just my two cents.
- Greg's thumb is a real issue.  We've discussed redshirts in another thread but I really think he's our best candidate.  If he's willing to take the Sacar route, that would do him and the team a lot of good IMO.

Again, just passing along things I've been told by someone there every day of practice.

Thank you.

Outside of Greg, this is all really good news.  It somewhat surprises me with Heldt, who I admittedly like more than most here.  But if he's getting passed up because others are doing so well, then that's fine by me.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
The 2017 team didn't have anyone anywhere nearly as talented and valuable as the 18-19 versions of Sam and Markus, though. We may have been deep then because talent was at parity, but the level of talent was lower. If Sam as a freshman logged 27 minutes a game, then improved as a sophomore, doesn't it sound a little backward to assume he'll play less this season?

You put the best 5 guys for the situation out there. And in most cases, that means you'll want Sam and Markus on the floor. They're just that good.

I think the 2017 team also didn't have bench options as good as Elliott, Anim, Cain, Joey Hauser, and Heldt. I could see that group coming for for 4 minute stretches to give the starters rest when we have a lead.

Maybe part of it is expectations. This team reminds me of 2014. Not 2014 Marquette, where we fell off the planet after being picked to win the league, but 2014 Villanova who went from 3 years of the bubble to a 2-seed and top-5 team.

Our starters are that good, but so is our bench. And with a bench as good as ours, the starters don't have to play 30+ minutes. They can get rest because the guys behind them are also very good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
They should give the best players the most minutes

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
PG: JC (24), M2N (8), GE (8)
2G: M2N (20), Sacar (8), Cain (6), GE (6)
SF: Sam (14), Cain (12), Bailey (8), Sacar (6)
PF: Sam (14), Joey (12), Morrow (8), Bailey (6)
C: Morrow (16), Theo (12), Heldt (8), Joey (4)

Totals:

Markus (28)
Sam (28)
Morrow (24)
Chartouny (24)
Cain (18)
Joey (16)
Sacar (14)
Elliott (14)
Bailey (14)
Theo (12)
Heldt (8)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »

Adjusted under a GE redshirt scenario + information above

PG: JC (26), M2N (14)
2G: M2N (14), Bailey (10), Sacar (8), Cain (8)
SF: Sam (14), Cain (10), Bailey (10), Sacar (6)
PF: Sam (14), Joey (16), Morrow (8), Bailey (2)
C: Theo (18), Morrow (14), Heldt (4), Joey (4)

Totals:

Markus (28)
Sam (28)
Chartouny (26)
Morrow (22)
Bailey (22)
Joey (20)
Cain (18)
Theo (18)
Sacar (14)
Heldt (4)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

Totals:

Markus (28)
Sam (28)
Morrow (24)
Chartouny (24)
Cain (18)
Joey (16)
Sacar (14)
Elliott (14)
Bailey (14)
Theo (12)
Heldt (8)

This is about the closest thing I've seen to a rotation that seems somewhat realistic and everyone gets minutes.  I think Wojo will pay 12 deep early, and the rotation will get cut significantly in the big time games. 

I think Theo for more than 12 minutes, but I could definitely see Morrow ending up at the 5 more and turning both Theo and Matt into spurt role players.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »

Totals:

Markus (28)
Sam (28)
Morrow (24)
Chartouny (24)
Cain (18)
Joey (16)
Sacar (14)
Elliott (14)
Bailey (14)
Theo (12)
Heldt (8)

I don't see any way that Matt and Theo only combine for 20 minutes.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »

If Morrow plays 16 mpg at C and Joey plays 4 mpg as a stretch 5 in a death lineup, then they would almost certainly combine for 20 mpg in some mix. That's one way. It's simple math/process of elimination  ;)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »

I think its totally possible Matt barely plays by BE season.  All depends on how Morrow fits into the team.  If Morrow is basically forced to play the 5 because of the type of offense Wojo wants to run, I think its possible. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
Having the ability to run a small ball line-up should not and does not mean that you run it exclusively.  Everybody loves to talk about Golden State when imagining small ball, but even they still played more than 25 mpg with a true center over the last two years.  Ed and Joey will likely both see some time at the 5 this year, but Theo and Matt should still be combining for at least 25 mpg, if not more.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »

It's little moments like this I miss BigDaddy and hate whomever it was (Heisenberg?) who ran him out of here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »

Heard similar things about BB. That's why I had Cain pegged as a possible redshirt because I think BB may eat some of his minutes.

I think Matt is going to get less minutes than last season and may not start, but I think its wishful thinking to say that we are going to be so good that all his minutes disappear. I think John and Heldt will get at least 25 minutes at the 5.

The bit about Greg is concerning. When I wrote the redshirt article, the last news we had gotten was that Greg had been pain free for months. If the thumb is still bothering him than that could change my thoughts on who should take a season off. I hope Greg is good to go, he was our best defender last season and I would hate to only go 2 deep at PG.

As always thanks for the scoops OnePost
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »

Problem with Greg doing a RS is that leaves us with only 2 true guards (Sacar being more of a wing forward)....?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »
Problem with Greg doing a RS is that leaves us with only 2 true guards (Sacar being more of a wing forward)....?

Sacar and Cain would be more than capable at the 2 in stretches where Markus is playing 1 or sitting. Heck some were even suggesting bailey there at one point this summer
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback