[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 126634 times)

GGGG

• All American
NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« on: April 13, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
I'll start off this year's thread by pointing out college football's new kickoff rule.  Now every kickoff that is fair caught inside the 25 yard line will be treated like a touchback and placed at the 25.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/13/ncaa-approves-biggest-change-yet-to-kickoff-rule/

My guess is the NFL follows suit within a couple of years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
Seriously, what's the point of kickoffs anymore in that case.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Seriously, what's the point of kickoffs anymore in that case.

For fringe NFL players to blast down the field and lay a hit. Then all the mouth breathers from Appleton want said player to be a regular, despite being wildly untalented.

That's the only reason for special teams.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:41 PM »
In other news, Sanchez getting busted for PED use may be the funniest storyline of the offseason

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
For fringe NFL players to blast down the field and lay a hit. Then all the mouth breathers from Appleton want said player to be a regular, despite being wildly untalented.

That's the only reason for special teams.

Alongside the meatheads from Chicago that call into post game radio shows.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »

Alongside the meatheads from Chicago that call into post game radio shows.

Absolutely. I'm a Packers fan. See the obsession over Jeff Janis as evidence.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »
In other news, Sanchez getting busted for PED use may be the funniest storyline of the offseason

A 4 game ban before he can start not playing again.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »

dez bryant released by cowboys-some mention of green bay smelling, but not touching.  i don't think he would be a good fit in GB locker room despite the fact that they will need someone to step up for the loss of jordy nelson
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »

dez bryant released by cowboys-some mention of green bay smelling, but not touching.  i don't think he would be a good fit in GB locker room despite the fact that they will need someone to step up for the loss of jordy nelson

Jordy was a addition by loss.  Dez is 3 years younger and basically the same size.  Except that he is toxic, where Jordy always seemed like a total team player.

I'm fine with them taking a cheap flyer on Dez for 3 years, and low money with a bunch of incentives... but it could also blow up and go really poorly.

Current WRs for Rodgers are decent, but no one that really extends the field.  Cobb, Adams, and Graham are all possession guys.  Jordy was the downfield threat (prior to the last two years) that made the offense work.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
I half forgot the draft is coming up next week. Feels like a weird draft this year, with what had seemed like it was going to be a good QB class being uncertain.

I know we talked about RB's in the top 10 last year, and I think Barkley is really an interesting decision for a lot of teams. With the Browns picking twice in the top 5, and the amount of QB's probably going in the top 10, it'll really help the Bears/Pack to have non QB talent fall in the top 15.

Nelson from ND seems to be creeping into top 6 category. Really have no inkling to what the Bears will do.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 10:18:07 PM »
I half forgot the draft is coming up next week. Feels like a weird draft this year, with what had seemed like it was going to be a good QB class being uncertain.

I know we talked about RB's in the top 10 last year, and I think Barkley is really an interesting decision for a lot of teams. With the Browns picking twice in the top 5, and the amount of QB's probably going in the top 10, it'll really help the Bears/Pack to have non QB talent fall in the top 15.

Nelson from ND seems to be creeping into top 6 category. Really have no inkling to what the Bears will do.

I'm hoping Nelson or trade down.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »
Surprised there has been no comments on the Bears letting Meredith go. I was surprised and didn't like it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 05:02:06 AM »
Surprised there has been no comments on the Bears letting Meredith go. I was surprised and didn't like it.

Completely replaceable.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »

I like Meredith a lot and he should do well in NO's offense, but he's a pretty average WR and was coming off an injury.

The odd thing was that the Bears let him go for nothing but for an extra $1M on his tender, they could have gotten a 2nd Round pick back if anyone else signed him. It's hard to imagine that any team was going to give up a #2 to sign him though so they'd basically be assured of having him next season for $2.9M. My assumption is that they didn't necessarily want him back but they'd be willing to take him back if there were no other offers. An extra mil doesn't seem like all that much to see how he fit into Nagy's offense...but it's not my money.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:53:46 AM by MerrittsMustache »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
I like Meredith a lot and he should do well in NO's offense, but he's a pretty average WR and was coming off an injury.

The odd thing was that the Bears let him go for nothing but for an extra $1M on his tender, they could have gotten a 2nd Round pick back if anyone else signed him. It's hard to imagine that any team was going to give up a #2 to sign him though so they'd basically be assured of having him next season for $2.9M. My assumption is that they didn't necessarily want him back but they'd be willing to take him back if there were no other offers. An extra mil doesn't seem like all that much to see how he fit into Nagy's offense...but it's not my money.

Completely replaceable.

I don't disagree that he's replaceable and obviously he is coming off a serious injury.  For a bit I thought the Bears used the $1.9 million tender to let another team negotiate a contract they would likely match but that didn't happen.

I guess what caught me off guard is they've now created another hole that they need to fill and they don't have a 3rd rounder in the draft.  They still need to address edge rusher, the o-line, perhaps the secondary, perhaps the d-line, and now WR as well. 

It was clearly more than they wanted to pay but they have a lot of cap room and the offer sheet he signed with the Saints didn't seem that prohibitive. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »

Amazingly quiet this many days after his release about who is actually interested in Dez.  Apparently, only Baltimore confirmed to be.  I would absolutely take him if I were Gutekunst.  Dez, Graham, and Davante would be a fantastic trio for Rodgers.  Dez is big and can still stretch the field.  Yes, he's a diva, but I haven't heard of him being disruptive guy towards team chemistry. 

I just don't know if Packers have cap space for him.   Then again, I'd be fine with ridding themselves of Cobb's contract to make room for him. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
Amazingly quiet this many days after his release about who is actually interested in Dez.  Apparently, only Baltimore confirmed to be.  I would absolutely take him if I were Gutekunst.  Dez, Graham, and Davante would be a fantastic trio for Rodgers.  Dez is big and can still stretch the field.  Yes, he's a diva, but I haven't heard of him being disruptive guy towards team chemistry. 

I just don't know if Packers have cap space for him.   Then again, I'd be fine with ridding themselves of Cobb's contract to make room for him. 

Getting rid of Cobb is going to make it harder.  The problem is that he’s likely asking for too much in guarantees. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 08:28:48 AM »
Getting rid of Cobb is going to make it harder.  The problem is that he’s likely asking for too much in guarantees.

Which is funny because he is 29, trouble, and basically the same size and speed as Jordy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »
Man the NFL owners are about as out of touch as you'd expect them to be:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/sports/nfl-owners-kaepernick.html

Bob McNair: “You fellas need to ask your compadres, fellas, stop that other business, let’s go out and do something that really produces positive results, and we’ll help you.”

Compadres???

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
Man the NFL owners are about as out of touch as you'd expect them to be:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/sports/nfl-owners-kaepernick.html

Bob McNair: “You fellas need to ask your compadres, fellas, stop that other business, let’s go out and do something that really produces positive results, and we’ll help you.”

Compadres???

This was good, right near the top of the article:

“Let’s make sure that we keep this confidential,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said to begin the session.

The New York Times has obtained an audio recording of the roughly three-hour meeting, and several people in the room corroborated details of the gathering.

The only surprise is that it took this long to be leaked.

I also liked "divisive" and "disastrous." Second cousins to dumb and dangerous.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
This was good, right near the top of the article:

“Let’s make sure that we keep this confidential,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said to begin the session.

The New York Times has obtained an audio recording of the roughly three-hour meeting, and several people in the room corroborated details of the gathering.

The only surprise is that it took this long to be leaked.

I also liked "divisive" and "disastrous." Second cousins to dumb and dangerous.

Jeff Lurie gonna get "uninvited" from the visit to the whitest of houses?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »
I sense a Packers/Bucs trade coming.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
I sense a Packers/Bucs trade coming.

It'd take a fair amount of ammo, so it'll be interesting to see how the board breaks in front of them. Most places I've seen pretty clearly think the tier 1 talent level drops off around 9 or 10. All on board for trading up for a top DB or pass rusher though, if we can minimize impact to the rest of the draft capital

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
What are Bears fans expectations/preferences at #8 tomorrow, assuming no trade up or down? 

Not really going out on a limb but I expect it to be one of Nelson, Smith, or Edmunds. Edmunds would obviously be the biggest risk. I don't expect them to go with a DB after resigning Fuller and Amukamara but would also be fine with Fitzpatrick or Ward.

Hard to screw it up when 3-4 QBs may go before your pick.