[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 125952 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #950 on: November 12, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »
The Patriots went into Tennessee on a 6-game winning streak but then got crushed by the mediocre Titans.

Makes me feel a lot less worse about my Panthers' loss to a Steelers team that at least is a legit Super Bowl contender.

Also ...

Browns went into their game against Atlanta having lost 4 straight while the Falcons seemed to have turned their season around with 3 straight wins. Browns ended up winning fairly easily.

Eagles lost at home to a bad Dallas team.

Bengals are theoretically "contenders," but they have set a record by allowing 3 straight opponents to gain 500+ yards. (And the game before that they allowed 481.)

The Bears are 6-3 and the Eagles are 4-5. Whodathunkit?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #951 on: November 12, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
The Eagles aren’t good. I don’t know what’s going on there, but that’s a flat, uninspired football team, and has been all year.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #952 on: November 12, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
Hue Jackson has some amazing blackmail on Marvin Lewis.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #953 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:28 PM »
How does a team gain 507 yards and score 3 points - until Tampa Bay did it I would have said "Impossible!"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #954 on: November 12, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
How does a team gain 507 yards and score 3 points - until Tampa Bay did it I would have said "Impossible!"
4 turnovers and 2 missed FGs.  Brutal.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #955 on: November 12, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
The Patriots went into Tennessee on a 6-game winning streak but then got crushed by the mediocre Titans.

Interesting.

Rams play GB and get crushed the next week.
NE plays GB and gets crushed the next week.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #956 on: November 12, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »

Same way a team gains 191 yards and scores 41 points!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #957 on: November 13, 2018, 06:41:39 AM »

Nah, he was an assistant under Marvin Lewis for 7 years in a variety of roles. And Marvin realizes that whatever he has been doing has made him impervious to firing, against all odds. So might as well get the band back together and play the old hits.

Mike Brown can’t even stay awake in the box during games, why would he fire anyone?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #958 on: November 13, 2018, 06:51:11 AM »

Or the Bengals still have 2 games left vs the Browns, and are desperate.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #959 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:22 AM »
I think Hue Jackson is regarded highly as a coordinator. He has coached some good offenses.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #960 on: November 13, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »
Makes me feel a lot less worse about my Panthers' loss

You mean better?

(;) Now I'm just screwing with you, 82)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #961 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »
The Bears having to play Thursday morning after playing Sunday night is pretty brutal.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #962 on: November 13, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
So Le'Veon Bell didn't show up and it's now certain he won't play a down this season. Thoughts?

My take: if it's purely about maximizing guaranteed dollars, he made a mistake (or more likely, got poor advice). $14 million guaranteed this year + guaranteed bonuses in free agency next year would have ensured him tens of millions of guaranteed dollars. I don't buy the "risk of injury" angle: if he wanted to protect against missing out on a big payday due to career-threatening injury, he could have purchased an awfully large insurance policy with a small fraction of the $14 mil guaranteed to him this year.

BUT. If it's about maximizing the potential for long-term dollars, that changes things a bit. He's preserved his body a year, which is a big deal for someone who took such a beating every season, and accomplishes at least two things:
(1) he's a lot more valuable in free agency having preserved himself this year rather than having gotten his body smashed 400+ times over the course of the season; and
(2) he's theoretically extended the length of time he'll be effective while playing on his second contract, meaning he's more likely to collect his NON-GUARANTEED yearly pay into years 3 and 4 of his second deal, and all the while position himself for a third deal.

Having said that, it seems like one of his purposes was to prove the free agency market should be governed player rather than position. And well, given Conner's breakout, that one didn't work the way he thought. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #963 on: November 13, 2018, 06:13:19 PM »
I was going to say something like "Here's a crazy story," but unfortunately it's not very unusual any more ...

Former Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service.

The lawsuit filed Monday says when Lem and Jacqueline Barney tried to order at Happy's Pizza in Commerce Township, the manager told them to go to Happy's Southfield location because "they would be more at home there."

The Barneys are black. Southfield has a majority black population, and Commerce Township is mostly white.

What year is this again?

There are about a half-dozen articles like this every week now. In October in the Charlotte area alone, there were 4 separate incidents of white folks calling the cops on black people just because the people had the nerve to be black.

No need to wear hoods any more. Very fine people, and all.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #964 on: November 13, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
I was going to say something like "Here's a crazy story," but unfortunately it's not very unusual any more ...

Former Detroit Lions Hall of Famer Lem Barney and his wife are suing a Detroit-area pizza chain for racial discrimination after being refused service.

The lawsuit filed Monday says when Lem and Jacqueline Barney tried to order at Happy's Pizza in Commerce Township, the manager told them to go to Happy's Southfield location because "they would be more at home there."

The Barneys are black. Southfield has a majority black population, and Commerce Township is mostly white.

What year is this again?

There are about a half-dozen articles like this every week now. In October in the Charlotte area alone, there were 4 separate incidents of white folks calling the cops on black people just because the people had the nerve to be black.

He has a history of illegal drug use (including coke) and has filed discrimination lawsuits in the past.. if what he claims happened is true, that's awful... but, filing a lawsuit does not make something true. #RespectTheProcess
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #965 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:56 AM »

What year is this again?

That's awful, if true.  That's what we have courts and investigations for to attempt to provide evidence of guilt or innocence. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #966 on: November 14, 2018, 09:28:19 AM »
O boi, da NFC thread iz well on itz wey ta lockdom hell, aina?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:31:28 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #967 on: November 14, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
That's awful, if true.  That's what we have courts and investigations for to attempt to provide evidence of guilt or innocence.

Well naturally, we don't know if this Lem Barney thing is true or not yet, but given what we do know -- "hate crimes" surged by 17% last year -- it would not be surprising at all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/13/fbi-hate-crimes-surge-2017-jump-anti-semitic-attacks/1987305002/

And based on anecdotal evidence, those numbers will only increase in 2018.

#nohoodsneeded