collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Amazon Firestick TV  (Read 1967 times)

manny31

• Starter
Amazon Firestick TV
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
Jail-Breaking, hypothetically of course......Tell me what you know. Thanks.

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Amazon Firestick TV
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »

There's no real need to"jailbreak" them in the normal sense of the word where you are installing a different OS on them, risking bricking it, etc. 

I'm on the phone so I'll describe what I've done and can provide links if necessary later:

1) install a downloader app to be able to load apps not on the fire TV app store.
2) install Kodi (any good guide for this step will also describe step 1)
3) install a Kodi app like Neptune rising, or whatever the popular one is nowadays

That's about it. Like I said I can provide links but just Google step 2 and the rest will pretty much fall out of that

Sometimes finding solid streams can be frustrating but worth the price of free.99

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »

I haven't used Kodi in a few years, but as with all P2P services (of which you will be loading onto your Kodi platform, for testing purposes of course), your ISP knows exactly what you are doing unless you use a VPN. What, if anything, will happen to you after that point is anyone's guess, and probably a quite low probability of any real issues for you. Still, they obviously know and at any time in the future you could suddenly find yourself in trouble.

I'm nearly certain there is a way to configure Kodi with VPN services (or perhaps directly through your Fire Stick, I've never used one). I would strongly suggest you spring for one of the VPN services, like NordVPN.

I have no first-hand knowledge of ever using P2P services of course, but to be clear, using Kodi for these purposes is no different to your ISP than if you decided to log in to Kazaa, Edonkey, Limewire, etc right now and let it rip.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
Man .. I've tried to use Kodi a bunch of times .. admittedly, often for watching a sporting event .. and it's failed me.

I'm an IT guy and messed around with lots of tech .. Kodi eludes me.  I've installed plugins and followed directions .. but you get to that point where you see a stream you want (NFL, NCAA, MLB) and .. it's not available.  Try another and another .. nope.   But man, you can watch some Lithuanian ultimate frisbee if that's your thing.

Using a laptop to find a working stream is so much easier .. then you (chrome) cast the show to your TV and you're in business.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:27:41 PM »
Man .. I've tried to use Kodi a bunch of times .. admittedly, often for watching a sporting event .. and it's failed me.

I'm an IT guy and messed around with lots of tech .. Kodi eludes me.  I've installed plugins and followed directions .. but you get to that point where you see a stream you want (NFL, NCAA, MLB) and .. it's not available.  Try another and another .. nope.   But man, you can watch some Lithuanian ultimate frisbee if that's your thing.

Using a laptop to find a working stream is so much easier .. then you (chrome) cast the show to your TV and you're in business.

This is exactly my experience, or at least how I envision it would be if I were to JB the Fire stick. I am going to go thee streaming/HDMI cable route. Seems like a lot less hassle. Thanks all.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
This is exactly my experience, or at least how I envision it would be if I were to JB the Fire stick. I am going to go thee streaming/HDMI cable route. Seems like a lot less hassle. Thanks all.

Back in the day I used Kodi to stream all sorts of content through a VPN we set up at work but theBabyDavid's mother put a quick end to that behavior since it was antithetical to her role at MSFT.

We don't watch much TV but she recently ordered a FireTV which, with several subscriptions, opens up more content than we could possibly consume.

Pirating content off of Kodi was hip in Seattle tech for a while but most women I know tend to not see the humor in stealing IP so my torrenting days are over.
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

feedback