[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masters 2018  (Read 22258 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Masters 2018
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2018, 07:29:58 AM »
I don't know how tall your 11 year old is.   I know MY 11 year old isn't quite tall enough for these yet.

http://www.touredge.com/products/bazooka360varsity.asp

But they do have a complete set targeted at 9-12 year olds. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
Come one guys, no hybrids here. Still hit the 2,3 and 4 irons quote well. Always loved hitting long irons and still do to this day.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
Come one guys, no hybrids here. Still hit the 2,3 and 4 irons quote well. Always loved hitting long irons and still do to this day.
There is nothing better than the feel of a pured long iron.    Sadly, I did not get that feeling often enough.    Not to mention, out of the rough from 190+ with a long iron, I have no chance.    With a hybrid, I do. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
How early did people get their kids playing golf? My son has great eye-hand coordination but at 2 and a half it seems way too early. I'm super excited to get a regular playing partner but don't want to push it too hard or too early. Not looking to make a tour pro here just someone who likes to go out and play a round with his old man once a week.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2018, 09:01:31 AM »
How early did people get their kids playing golf?

The First Tee in MKE has a pretty good program.  I want to say the kids started it around age 8. 

http://www.thefirstteesoutheastwisconsin.org/programs/

We mainly went to short par 3's around the area .. When my son turned 11, we did play a couple rounds at a real course -- but make sure you have a golf cart, as you're chasing down errant shots all the time.

Last year the First program had a fantastic parent/child tournament at Brown Deer.  It was like $20 for 9 holes plus cart on a Sunday afternoon, alternating shots, with the parents driving on long holes, and kids exempt from sand traps.

They served hot dogs and burgers afterwards for the 'award ceremony'.   I think we were 11 over, and far off the lead .. but then they explained some kind of handicap system, like they figured your handicap from holes 1-3-5.  Well, we'd done really poorly on those holes, so had a great handicap .. so we won a sizable trophy.   Yay, math!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
My 11 year old needs to graduate from the cheapo junior clubs.

What do you guys recommend?  Buy some random set, or go to a golf shop?  Where?

That's tough as he's not done growing, so a fitting is very unnecessary. What kind of cheapo clubs? Why is the upgrade needed? What's his handicap?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »

I dream of the day I can ditch the hybrids.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #157 on: April 12, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
That's tough as he's not done growing, so a fitting is very unnecessary. What kind of cheapo clubs? Why is the upgrade needed? What's his handicap?

I guess I see his current junior clubs as very low quality.  Could he use them another year?  Maybe, but I'd rather upgrade.

It's funny .. he has a nice swing, but when he strikes the ball, it's just awful, he hooks it something fierce.  (He's a lefty .. does that reverse the term, so it's a slice?)

I have no idea how to instruct him to fix.  He'll do golf lessons again this summer, hope they can fix it.

But .. I also think his clubs are super cheap and could be part of the issue, thus the upgrade.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 12, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
I guess I see his current junior clubs as very low quality.  Could he use them another year?  Maybe, but I'd rather upgrade.

It's funny .. he has a nice swing, but when he strikes the ball, it's just awful, he hooks it something fierce.  (He's a lefty .. does that reverse the term, so it's a slice?)

I have no idea how to instruct him to fix.  He'll do golf lessons again this summer, hope they can fix it.

But .. I also think his clubs are super cheap and could be part of the issue, thus the upgrade.

Could be a shaft issue with a cheap set if the swing looks decent.

IMO, I'd buy a set of used cavity backs off of GlobalGolf or Callaway Preowned. Look over the 2016/2017 Golf Digest Hot Lists for Game Improvement and Super Game Improvement Irons, and find a used set. Make sure the lengths are standard. It'll be a decent enough set to use before dropping a lot more money on a fitting and new irons.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »
My dad started me at 4 on the range/practice green. 5 on the course.

I played with a garbage set (wood, 3 irons, putter) until 8/9. Got a "junior" set (driver, 3 wood, 3 5 7 9 iron, putter) until 14. Got dad's handme down set at 15 birthday.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »

yo goose-i'm sure you know why during a thunderstorm out in the middle of a golf course-if there are no shelters nearby, just grab your 2 iron and hold hit high above your head... ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

Goose

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »
rocket

I took my one iron out of my bag probably 20 years ago. For one month I hit off the tee over my driver and had some fun. I do agree with tower, not using hybrids is big disadvantage.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
rocket

I took my one iron out of my bag probably 20 years ago. For one month I hit off the tee over my driver and had some fun. I do agree with tower, not using hybrids is big disadvantage.

oh-is it a 1 iron the Big Guy has trouble hitting?  my mistake, i thought it was the 2 iron.  i have a wood shafted 1 iron from an old neighbor of mine who has long since passed.  it's hanging on my rec room wall next to a blown up photo of my favorite hole at corrales and u.s. open pennant from whistling

Goose

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 12, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
Rocket

My game has seriously regressed over last decade due to serious lack of play, but parts of game almost look like I played some golf in my day. It actually makes me laugh that I still hit my long irons purer than I do my mid irons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
I started my 11 year old when he was two.  Plastic ball, plastic club, 9 holes at a time.  If his interest waned, no biggy.  I have a vivid memory of hitting a shot, turning to look for him, and he was 25 yards away chasing a butterfly.

Topper, mine hits left-handed, too.  That link I posted has left handed clubs.  Are you looking for adult clubs or transitional?  If there is a good independent pro shop in the area, go there first.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
My dad started me at 4 on the range/practice green. 5 on the course.

I played with a garbage set (wood, 3 irons, putter) until 8/9. Got a "junior" set (driver, 3 wood, 3 5 7 9 iron, putter) until 14. Got dad's handme down set at 15 birthday.

Good stuff. It's gonna suck because my son is very definitely right handed and I'm lefty. No hand me downs for me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
I started my 11 year old when he was two.  Plastic ball, plastic club, 9 holes at a time.  If his interest waned, no biggy.  I have a vivid memory of hitting a shot, turning to look for him, and he was 25 yards away chasing a butterfly.

Topper, mine hits left-handed, too.  That link I posted has left handed clubs.  Are you looking for adult clubs or transitional?  If there is a good independent pro shop in the area, go there first.

Yeah, he's got a plastic driver and ball and he plays with it on the drive way where he hits it to me(swing like a hockey stick) and I kick it back and 90% of the time he hits it back while it's on the move to him. I think this summer I'm going to take a morning off and go to an out of the way course and play 9 with him with me and see if he wants to hit when I do.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
Be prepared to rake bunkers.  Little boys love bunkers.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »
Be prepared to rake bunkers.  Little boys love bunkers.

That's fine, I spend a lot of time at the beach.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
This is what my 4 iron (I don't go any lower) is used for mainly.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »
Curious....has anyone ever played with the old wooden clubs?  Like Bobby Jones old wooden clubs, not a bad 70s 3 wood?  Mashies and niblicks, etc.

Or the old gut balls.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
   "oh-is it a 1 iron the Big Guy has trouble hitting?  my mistake, i thought it was the 2 iron."

absolutely no disrespect on ya goose and your abilities to pinch the low irons or to put you in the same category as our Deity, but legend has it that He did have trouble hitting the 1 iron.  so goes the story to wave it like a mad man walking on a golf course thru a thunderstorm to stay safe

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2018, 09:45:12 PM »
Curious....has anyone ever played with the old wooden clubs?  Like Bobby Jones old wooden clubs, not a bad 70s 3 wood?  Mashies and niblicks, etc.

Or the old gut balls.

weren't the old persimons considered to be the "big berthas" of that time? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »

Or the old gut balls.

No, but I found an old putter in my parents' basement and I insisted on using it for a summer because it was "cool," a conversation piece. Then I bought a new putter for myself and it instantly made me think, "That was really stupid to use that old piece of crap."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »
Faldo was a heel.   Vijay was a heel.   Ian Poulter was a heel at Ryder Cups.   Monty.    Hell, Jack started out as a heel compared to Arnie.   Nothing wrong with it and nothing guarantees that it is forever.    Congratulations, Patrick.

Let’s not forget the most famous heel-turned-face-turned-heel-turned-face-turned-something-something-something, Hulk Hogan.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.