[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Masters 2018  (Read 22262 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Masters 2018
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:58 PM »
I was the same way, and I had nothing against Tiger.

I just want great golf matches. Seeing Tiger win by 8 or 11 or 17 strokes ... I appreciated the greatness of it, but it's not what I like to see. For me, it's all about the back 9 on Sunday.

If he was in a great match on the back 9 on Sunday, didn't bother me at all if he won ... although yes, there were sometimes that I rooted for the underdog because that's what sports fans do.

I think a lot (millions) of people agree with your thoughts. Having a villain (in the sports sense) drives fan interest. Fan interest drives more $$$$$$. Tiger has made a lot of guys rich.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »

i'm changing over to the medium golf prides.  felt the same thing you described-relaxed grip on the club and i think it straightened out the club face to ball contact.  sometimes ya just have to go with it and not try to figure out why it works...for now
I regrip my clubs every couple of years.  Broke par for the for the first time for the year today.  4 birdies in 5 hole stretch.  Playing partner said very hurtful things about me and my ancestors as well as recommending physical impossibilities.  It is so much more fun when you get to tell your buddy about it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
I think a lot (millions) of people agree with your thoughts. Having a villain (in the sports sense) drives fan interest. Fan interest drives more $$$$$$. Tiger has made a lot of guys rich.
I was hoping after Tiger's little SUV-into-the-fire-hydrant episode he'd go full Star Trek alternate universe where the crew is all evil.  Grow himself a nice little Spock-like goatee and embrace his dark side, hookers and all.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
Thank you, I confused the BMW situation with the 2013 Masters. Shows you how reckless and foolish it is to accuse someone without even knowing the facts. If I remember, the BMW situation was also something no other player in that field would've had to deal with, as Tiger had a special camera following his every move there as well.

I agree. Tiger is a golf historian, honors the traditions and integrity of the game, and appreciates the difficulty of achieving greatness,  and I feel he would not accept a "tainted" trophy.

Tiger took many a "tainted" trophy from IHOP.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
I regrip my clubs every couple of years.  Broke par for the for the first time for the year today.  4 birdies in 5 hole stretch.  Playing partner said very hurtful things about me and my ancestors as well as recommending physical impossibilities.  It is so much more fun when you get to tell your buddy about it.

that is fun!  where did you play?  not in the upper midwest.  my son and i just did pebble beach last weekend...on a simulator ;D  if it weren't for that minor inconvenience called work, i'd be down in Az. smackin 'em around
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
Michigan.  42 degrees.  15 mph west wind.  Course is flat like a Florida course, holes framed with ponds.  6500 from the tips.  Great for walking.  Hit some perfect shots through the wind, made some putts.  6 birdies overall.   8th round overall this year.  Can't let a little thing like windchill stop you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »

Every other year for me. I give them a good scrubbing every month to get the tack back. Really want to put on some Tour Pros, but just put on MCCs last Winter.

First night of league tomorrow cannot wait.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:01:26 PM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2018, 08:11:09 PM »
Every other year for me. I give them a good scrubbing every month to get the tack back. Really want to put on some Tour Pros, but just put on MCCs last Winter.

First night of league tomorrow cannot wait.
I’m an every other year guy as well. I love Winn Grips.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
I was hoping after Tiger's little SUV-into-the-fire-hydrant episode he'd go full Star Trek alternate universe where the crew is all evil.  Grow himself a nice little Spock-like goatee and embrace his dark side, hookers and all.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
It ain't da arrows, its da Indrun, aina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »

Well said.

Tiger and Jordan made more fellow athletes in their sports money than anybody I can think of in any sports.

I think Jud Buechler is STILL counting his money. I KNOW Luc Longley is!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2018, 12:16:17 AM »
Michigan.  42 degrees.  15 mph west wind.  Course is flat like a Florida course, holes framed with ponds.  6500 from the tips.  Great for walking.  Hit some perfect shots through the wind, made some putts.  6 birdies overall.   8th round overall this year.  Can't let a little thing like windchill stop you.

Wow, this is impressive, especially since you have only played 8 times this year. I worked at Conway Farms (host of the BMW) back in the early 2000s, and played often with one of the assistants. I looped there for extra bucks and exercise, and the privilege of playing that gem. Well, this particular assistant always played "One-Step-In", meaning you go to the end of the longest tee box and play from there on each hole. So, we played it well over 7,000...but Conway is not a long course at all by today's standards. It was really early in the golf season, and I don't know what got into me this particular day, but I birdied 3 holes in a row on the front, and actually competed with the +2 handicap assistant for the duration. It was all downhill (uphill) from there, as he didn't take too kindly to one of the course  jockeys almost beating him. I think I shot 92 next time we played and he shot 68. Now, I'm an old man at 47, so you wouldn't get me near those 7,000 yds. 6500-6700 is plenty, especially in cold, wet Midwestern April.

I always out-play my ability very early or very late in the golf year....I think it's due to lower expectations and not putting pressure on myself to play well....getting "out of your own way", as the sports psychologists say.
Plus, to start the season, our golf-shot memory banks are empty, and there's no duck hooks or 3-putts to recall. If you are scoring like this in these temps and wind conditions, you will only get better through the season. Congrats on your plentiful birds!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2018, 12:35:20 AM »

Loved reading this. Reminded me of that annoying partner who couldn't ever handle me winning a bet from him. Every time I outplayed him, he would make the most dreadful noise utilizing the far reaches of his nasal cavity upon each long putt I holed, followed by a tongue-in-cheek, barely audible "nice putt." 
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »
I am a golfing die hard.   I probably play 80 rounds a year.    Usually, my game is decent in the spring and then falls off in the summer for two reasons.   One, I start trying to squeeze more distance out of my driver and make changes that lead to hooks.   Two, with the 11 year old out of school, I can't just go out all the time.    My 50th birthday present to myself was to stop playing courses at 7000.   I will for outings, but hitting hybrids or 3 woods into 470 yard par 4's isn't really that much fun.    6800 is about my limit.    As far as birdies, I saw the line yesterday.    That happens 2-3 times a year where I see almost every line.    Most of the time when I play, I am an edge burner from outside 10 ft.    Really good 10 ft in,  Derrick Wilson-like from distance. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
tower

Well done. I am the most excited I have been in 15 years for golf season to begin. Kids grown, all out of college and going to try and play as much as possible. For many, many years I was a minimum 100 round a year guy and been 10-15 for a decade. Fingers crossed that the game I came home from FL with with a month ago is for real.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
I got started two years ago, playing in 1-2 scrambles a year before that.

I get about 54 holes in a month. I took extensive lessons this winter, last summer I was usually on the lower side of 100, hoping to start scratching at 90 with a new swing this season. Stopped coming over the top, quieted the lower body and worked on rotation of the torso and upper body.

My bag is currently:
Driver - Cobra Fly-Z+
3W - Cobra Fly-Z
3H - Cobra Fly-Z
4H - Cobra Fly-Z
5-9 - Cobra Fly-Z
46 degree - Callaway MD3
50 degree - Callaway MD3
56 degrees - Callaway MD3 PM Grind
60 degree - Callaway MD3 PM Grind
Putter - I've got a couple Scotty Newport's I've refinished and a Ping mallet. Usually game a Scotty Studio Style.
Ball - Vice Tour or Wilson DUO. I won't spend money on balls at my handicap. Both very nice balls for the price.

I've got some money to spend on equipment this year, so I'm eyeing up irons. Going to start that process as soon as the weather stabilizes.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:01:42 PM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »

love the cobras-just bought the F-7 irons, F-6 driver up here(but can't discard the old calloway FT-9 in Az.) 58 deg. cleveland, 56. deg killer bee, odyssey versa wide tank reverse oreo putter-super stroke grip, cobra 2-3 hybrid,  cobra 3 wood,

transitioning from calloway

tower912

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »
Titleist 915 D Driver
Tour Exotics EX 10 Beta 15 degree 3 wood
Tour Exotics EX 10 19, 22 degree hybrids
Wilson C-200 Irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey SM 6 52-56 degree wedges
Putter.... rotating 3.    Whatever one is in the bag is always on notice.   Putters have to be able to float and fly.   

My next purchase will probable be a driver.    Like most hacks, I am convinced that there is one out there that syncs perfectly with my swing flaws and will give me 15 more yards.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
tower

Well done. I am the most excited I have been in 15 years for golf season to begin. Kids grown, all out of college and going to try and play as much as possible. For many, many years I was a minimum 100 round a year guy and been 10-15 for a decade. Fingers crossed that the game I came home from FL with with a month ago is for real.
It is a pleasure to hear someone wants to play more often than I do.  Very rare. Your Florida game is real, if it looks and feels like your game when you were playing that often.  The question is whether it is permanent.  And is peak form ever permanent?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2018, 04:06:14 PM »

I have always embraced windy days golfing. If for no other reason than most guys hate it and let it affect their game. My winning % is much higher playing with a lot of wind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »
They hate it and let their ego get in the way. 120 yards should be a wedge, darn it.  I'll just swing harder.  Hits it straight up, it goes 100 yards and plugs in a bunker.  Hello double or triple. Meanwhile, I am choking down a 9 or even an 8, swinging easy, hitting it to 25 feet and moving on.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2018, 10:28:40 PM »
don't ya just hate guys who when you're on, say a 170 yard hole, maybe a 5-10 mph wind shifting from right to left to in your face-he hits one 10 yards short and ya ask him what he hit-he goes something like, "my 8 iron and you're thinking, no knob, what distance were ya playing??  i mean those guys always have to try to tell ya how long their schlong is...p!sses me off

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »
If I could go through an entire golf course only using a hybrid, wedge, a putter, and a 7 iron every once in a great while (bump and run and what not) I would be in okay shape. Unfortunately unless it's a par 3 course that isn't exactly an option.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
They hate it and let their ego get in the way. 120 yards should be a wedge, darn it.  I'll just swing harder.  Hits it straight up, it goes 100 yards and plugs in a bunker.  Hello double or triple. Meanwhile, I am choking down a 9 or even an 8, swinging easy, hitting it to 25 feet and moving on.

Exactimento.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »
My 11 year old needs to graduate from the cheapo junior clubs.

What do you guys recommend?  Buy some random set, or go to a golf shop?  Where?