[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mexico?  (Read 30720 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Mexico?
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
You're doing extremely well for 32 coleman!  Congrats.

And you'll love Glacier.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:31:35 PM by jsglow »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »

Even domestically.  I'm up to 47 states and landing at airports doesn't count.  3 to go.  Be a damn shame not to finish.  So I will.

Out of curiosity, which 3 do you have left? I have 4 left (Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho). I don't count airport landings either, I had to have feet on the ground, breathe the air, and be there at least 15 minutes for me to count it.

I turn 40 in October, and my goal has always been 50 x 40, so I should hopefully get that done in the next few months.

I've also had a life goal to go to all 7 continents. 4 down, 3 to go.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
dish,

alaska, hawaii and delaware

Utah has to be on your very short list dish.  Stunning.  I've explored it extensively.  It's a top 3 state to visit for incredible natural beauty.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »
dish,

Wilmington has a nice river walk, beer garden, dinner on a riverboat, and Frank Lloyd Wright birdhouses.

Plus, Wilmington is only 30 miles from downtown Philly.  Delaware has some beaches in the southern portion of the state as well.

It's worth a day trip if youre ever in Baltimore or Philly for an extended period

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
Wilmington has a nice river walk, beer garden, dinner on a riverboat, and Frank Lloyd Wright birdhouses.

Plus, Wilmington is only 30 miles from downtown Philly.  Delaware has some beaches in the southern portion of the state as well.

It's worth a day trip if youre ever in Baltimore or Philly for an extended period

Agreed.  I'll get there.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2018, 06:57:04 PM »
Ooh, now I get to tell my Delaware story, and there is even a Marquette connection.

As many of you know, I was a transfer student at Marquette.  I spent my freshman year at St. Joe's in Rensselaer, Indiana.  I had a friend there named Nancy who was a senior from Delaware.

I transferred to Marquette and the year after that, I became an orientation leader.  At orientation training, I met a girl named Michelle who told me she was from Delaware.  I said, "In my entire life, I have only met one other person from Delaware, my friend Nancy from my old school, St. Joseph's College".

She looked me with a shocked look on her face and said, "That's my sister."
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
dish,

Utah has to be on your very short list dish.  Stunning.  I've explored it extensively.  It's a top 3 state to visit for incredible natural beauty.

Glow, curious how you escaped not hitting Delaware. I used to have to make a work trip from Philly to Herndon, VA once a month, and always ended up having to hit Delaware.

Will that be an easy hit for you? I'd assume so at some point, especially if you're in DC/Baltimore/Northern VA.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
Been to DC numerous times but somehow have never ventured over there.  It's a small hole in my coverage.

It was only a few years ago when I hit #47.  And then I was in Louisiana twice in one year including my first trip to New Orleans.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
Out of curiosity, which 3 do you have left? I have 4 left (Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho). I don't count airport landings either, I had to have feet on the ground, breathe the air, and be there at least 15 minutes for me to count it.

I turn 40 in October, and my goal has always been 50 x 40, so I should hopefully get that done in the next few months.

I've also had a life goal to go to all 7 continents. 4 down, 3 to go.

Ha, I’ve done the 4 your missing.

Pro tips....in Idaho, learn to pronounce Boise. In Wyoming, don’t wear a PETA T-shirt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
Nads, kan ya will them Panther ornaments ta BeeJay befour ya go, hey?

Well, they ain't my ornaments, they're my neighbor's. And besides, Benny already called dibs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
Iceland will be happening by the end of 2018.
[/quote}
Iceland Tip:  When driving through the countryside, DO NOT pull off the side of the road to go look at something that caught your eye.  We did that.  Car sunk into about a foot of volcanic ash.  Thankfully some nice Icelanders came along and helped us push the car back on to the road.

It was the Icelandic equivalent of getting stuck in a snow drift in Wisconsin.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2018, 10:39:42 PM »
Well, they ain't my ornaments, they're my neighbor's. And besides, Benny already called dibs.

No worries, I’ll be bringing my own.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:33 PM »
Iceland will be happening by the end of 2018.
[/quote}
Iceland Tip:  When driving through the countryside, DO NOT pull off the side of the road to go look at something that caught your eye.  We did that.  Car sunk into about a foot of volcanic ash.  Thankfully some nice Icelanders came along and helped us push the car back on to the road.

It was the Icelandic equivalent of getting stuck in a snow drift in Wisconsin.

In Iceland, they eat all the organs of an animal.  Eyeballs are fair game.  You'll need a lot of Sonoran Salsa to help choke that down.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:14 AM »
You're doing extremely well for 32 coleman!  Congrats.

And you'll love Glacier.

Thanks. Any tips? Staying in Kalispell for the majority of the trip.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:22:07 AM by Coleman »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »
Ha, I’ve done the 4 your missing.

Pro tips....in Idaho, learn to pronounce Boise. In Wyoming, don’t wear a PETA T-shirt.

Never done Boise but Coeur d'Alene is amazing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
In Iceland, they eat all the organs of an animal.  Eyeballs are fair game.  You'll need a lot of Sonoran Salsa to help choke that down.

I'm really looking forward to it. My only fear is that it has become overrun with tourists like myself.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
Never done Boise but Coeur d'Alene is amazing.
Sun Valley is awesome. There is a nice gun club to go trap shooting as well. Remarkable scenery.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
Thanks. Any tips? Staying in Kalispell for the majority of the trip.

Obviously you'll do Sun Road.  Not sure when in June you are going but you can follow the plowing page on the NPS website.  Lots of great hiking but there will be massive snow up high.  June is early for Glacier. 

Not sure how long you have.  We organized a 3 day raft trip with these guys, but they do day trips too.  We were stunned when we showed up on departure day.  Unbeknownst to us, that particular adventure was fully private for the 4 of us with a pax raft, a provision raft, and two guides.  I guess nobody else was prepared to brave 37 degree water!  Same exact stretch of river Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon filmed on.  So if you want a taste, it's all there on Netflix.  Our kids were about 14 and 12.  Very early June.  Big water, especially last day.

https://www.riverwild.com/

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2018, 10:58:16 AM »
Obviously you'll do Sun Road.  Not sure when in June you are going but you can follow the plowing page on the NPS website.  Lots of great hiking but there will be massive snow up high.  June is early for Glacier. 

Not sure how long you have.  We organized a 3 day raft trip with these guys, but they do day trips too.  We were stunned when we showed up on departure day.  Unbeknownst to us, that particular adventure was fully private for the 4 of us with a pax raft, a provision raft, and two guides.  I guess nobody else was prepared to brave 37 degree water!  Same exact stretch of river Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon filmed on.  So if you want a taste, it's all there on Netflix.  Our kids were about 14 and 12.  Very early June.  Big water, especially last day.

https://www.riverwild.com/

Thanks a bunch. Will be there 6 days, middle of June.  Will check out a rafting day trip with these guys.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks a bunch. Will be there 6 days, middle of June.  Will check out a rafting day trip with these guys.

Check out the lodges too.  IF you can get to the other side, Many Glacier Hotel is incredible.  We did our horseback riding in that area.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »
I'm really looking forward to it. My only fear is that it has become overrun with tourists like myself.

Spent a day there in December for an Icelandair stopover. A night in Reykjavik then hit up the Blue Lagoon before heading back to the airport. Overall saw about as many Americans as Icelanders, so you're on to something there. Also, don't be the idiot American I saw in the airport getting angry at a cashier because he didn't know how expensive the country was.

If I have my way, we'll be going back for real sometime when it's summer. So much to do and see around the country. Skip the Blue Lagoon and find another geothermal spring that's less touristy. Reyjkavik was well worth the time we spent, though. Had a fantastic dinner at Islenski Barinn. http://islenskibarinn.is/net/en/ Get the puffin.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
I'm 61 years of age  ;D and am only missing New Hampshire, Utah, Alaska and Rhode Island.

Other than Alaska and Utah, not sure I missed anything.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »
New Hampshire and Rhode Island are both cool.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Lived in Minnesota for 9 1/2 years and somehow managed to never set foot in North Dakota.

My only two other never-beens are Arkansas and Idaho.

Idaho, I technically was in because I had a trip in which the plane had to make an emergency landing there. But we never got off the plane and were on the ground for about 2 hours. I don't want a sham "visit" to count. We'll get to Coeur d'Alene one day.

Arkansas, I was right across the river in Memphis. Could have walked across ... and would have if I realized I'd still "need" the state decades later. Then again, that would have been a sham visit, too. I'll get there one day ... maybe.

North Dakota? I'll really have to make an effort to get there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 10:32:55 PM »
Lived in Minnesota for 9 1/2 years and somehow managed to never set foot in North Dakota.

Idaho, I technically was in because I had a trip in which the plane had to make an emergency landing there. But we never got off the plane and were on the ground for about 2 hours. I don't want a sham "visit" to count. We'll get to Coeur d'Alene one day.

North Dakota? I'll really have to make an effort to get there.

Glow and I have been through Idaho a couple of times with the family during family driving trips.  On one trip we took a slight detour to visit Preston, Idaho, home of Napoleon Dynamite.  With no map and without much effort, we found the high school, the Pop n Pins bowling alley, Rex Kwan Do (yes, it's a real place), Summer Wheatley's house, and to top things off, we discovered  Uncle Rico's van parked in the driveway of a random house.  We got out of the  car to take a closer look, and on the dashboard was a small sign that said, "Yes, this is Uncle Rico's van."
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback