[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Pakuni
[Today at 02:26:49 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 02:23:08 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mexico?  (Read 30649 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Mexico?
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
I suppose if you're not from the MKE are you might have missed the MJS' reporting on the  dozens of US tourists who report being assaulted, blacking out, etc, etc.

https://www.jsonline.com/topic/41b67c47-15c8-43ee-97f8-600306dc19bc/

But now there's this news.. family of 4 from Iowa, dies in their condo.  No trauma to their bodies, just .. never woke up, dead. 

http://www.kcci.com/article/mexican-news-source-4-americans-found-dead-in-tourist-complex/19576621

Admittedly, we've hit Mexico the past 3 Spring breaks .. but this is it, we're done.  Plenty of other places to go. 

I gotta figure .. Mexico's days as a tourist destination are numbered.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »
No chance I'd hit the mainland these days.  And it's sad because the vast majority of the Mexican people are so very nice.  But there's a corruption that simply can't be ignored.

Head to the islands instead.  And, in the aftermath of the hurricanes, they need your dollars more than ever.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »
Scheduled to head to Cabo in a couple weeks. Anyone have familiarity with the area in terms of current safety, etc?

This is in anticipation of getting married there next spring.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
That's the one place I haven't heard about problems jesmu.  Can't give you much though as we've only been there once.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
Scheduled to head to Cabo in a couple weeks. Anyone have familiarity with the area in terms of current safety, etc?

This is in anticipation of getting married there next spring.

You’re good. Cabo isn’t one of the areas of concern. Lots of friends’ bachelor parties have been there and even with us doing dumb shiza, we never felt like things got sketchy. Stick to nice properties and don’t walk around drunk and alone. 

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
From the US State Dept:

There are no U.S. government restrictions for travel in Baja California Sur, which includes the tourist areas of Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Congrats on getting married, Jesmu.  Even though Cabo is safe now, it may not be safe one month from now, one year from now, etc.  With so many other tropical destinations available, e.g., Punta Cana (DR), Roatan (Honduras), Bocas (Panama), Belize, etc., I would skip Mexico altogether. 

That's solely based on my opinion.  But, then again, I don't work for a medical journal publisher or anything, so take it with a grain of salt.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »
That's the problem, though .. the dozens of stories from the JS series .. people aren't saying "Yeah, we booked this really sketchy hotel and drank some booze that looked a little cloudy."

Generally, we're talking Apple Vacations type stuff.   

And yeah, 99.99% of Mexico's citizenry are fine people.  It just takes a few bad dudes to eff it all up, especially with tourism.   

I can go to Florida or Hawaii and the State Department doesn't have a 20 page warning note about the area.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
From the US State Dept:

There are no U.S. government restrictions for travel in Baja California Sur, which includes the tourist areas of Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and La Paz.

Congrats on getting married, Jesmu.  Even though Cabo is safe now, it may not be safe one month from now, one year from now, etc.  With so many other tropical destinations available, e.g., Punta Cana (DR), Roatan (Honduras), Bocas (Panama), Belize, etc., I would skip Mexico altogether. 

That's solely based on my opinion.  But, then again, I don't work for a medical journal publisher or anything, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nice.

Thanks for the info, all.

This is an example of one of the nicetites of the scoop community

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
One of the original stories that came out in the JS was about a friend of a friend.  No way am I going to Mexico these days.

Glow and  I honeymooned in Cancun back in the days when it was still new and exotic.  It's a little sad to think that I will likely never be back.
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Agree with what everyone has said. The last couple years, kept thinking about booking a Cabo family vacation, but felt like a story like Hilltopper found would pop up and turn me off. It is a shame because Mexico has 99% friendly people, great weather, incredible places to see, reasonably priced, and relatively easy flight no matter where you live.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
I know someone who was a victim of the tainted alcohol, luckily she passed out in public and received medical attention. I also know someone who died after being electrocuted in a resort swimming pool while on his honeymoon. Anecdotal for sure but no thank you on Mexico.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »
That's the problem, though .. the dozens of stories from the JS series .. people aren't saying "Yeah, we booked this really sketchy hotel and drank some booze that looked a little cloudy."

Generally, we're talking Apple Vacations type stuff.   

And yeah, 99.99% of Mexico's citizenry are fine people.  It just takes a few bad dudes to eff it all up, especially with tourism.   

I can go to Florida or Hawaii and the State Department doesn't have a 20 page warning note about the area.

That IS the issue isn't it?  Way too much smoke these days with countless other places to go.

Chick and I are pretty well traveled in the Caribbean.  We like a few places better than others but have found most places and peoples to be wonderful and stunningly beautiful.  I urge all to get out of their American comfort zone and explore.  And for God's sake, don't seek out an Arby's when you're down island.

Let me add that if anyone wants Caribbean guidance chick and I are happy to share our experiences.  Each island is a bit different in part driven by their colonial heritage and geography.  PM if you like.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:28:54 AM by jsglow »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 11:03:57 AM »
Whats the word on Cozumel? Had a good time there about five years ago, was thinking about making another trip.

I always have Colombia to fall back on though.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
Whats the word on Cozumel? Had a good time there about five years ago, was thinking about making another trip.

I'd say our ship stops there on Wednesday and I'll report back, but I don't want to be robbed while we're gone.  Hey, can anyone feed my pit bull while we're gone?  He'll be home all alone and hungry.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »

I always have Colombia to fall back on though.

Cozumel's fine Chitown.  They had cancelled some mainland shore excursions several weeks ago but they're back on now.  So many ships stop there that they get a very steady flow of dollars without seemingly having the problems associated with the mainland.

I see Honduras much the same way.  Crime on the mainland is a significant problem but the lovely island of Roatan is much safer.  Not perfect mind you but with a standard of living significantly higher than onshore that the locals are fixated on protecting.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 11:43:54 AM »
Appreciate all the input. I guess you just never know for sure.

We've already booked and paid for everything for our trip in 2 weeks. Both resorts we're staying at (both in Cabo, higher end - sandos and Hyatt) know we're coming to evaluate for hosting our wedding there. I'd sure hope those resorts and staff would go out of their way to host a wedding that would bring in good cash for them.

We'll re-evaluate the destination when we return.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »
Let me add this jesmu.  While it's clearly a problem, it's not like everyone is being impacted.  Think of it a little like walking alone late at night drunk and with your earbuds in at MU.  Stupid leads to risk.  Just remain vigilant and you'll be fine.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
I suppose if you're not from the MKE are you might have missed the MJS' reporting on the  dozens of US tourists who report being assaulted, blacking out, etc, etc.

https://www.jsonline.com/topic/41b67c47-15c8-43ee-97f8-600306dc19bc/

But now there's this news.. family of 4 from Iowa, dies in their condo.  No trauma to their bodies, just .. never woke up, dead. 

http://www.kcci.com/article/mexican-news-source-4-americans-found-dead-in-tourist-complex/19576621

Admittedly, we've hit Mexico the past 3 Spring breaks .. but this is it, we're done.  Plenty of other places to go. 

I gotta figure .. Mexico's days as a tourist destination are numbered.

We continue to go, be smart about it.  Went last Summer to Mexico.  This family of four that passed away I will bet was a carbon monoxide situation. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
  This family of four that passed away I will bet was a carbon monoxide situation. 

Which is still cautionary, while not criminal. 

Every place we go in Mexico, stuff is broken.  It might be a nice resort or condo or whatever, but .. look around.  If you can't find something in disrepair in 90 seconds, you've been drinking too much.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
We had a group of 9 that was in Puerto Aventuras (just south of Playa del Carmen) early this month. It was an awesome gated community that had everything you needed within the confines of the community.

Stayed at this house, and I can guarantee you nothing was in disrepair. I think house rentals are really the way to go in Mexico. You really have much greater control over alcohol and food.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p4055269

Highly recommend Aventuras if people are still looking to go to Mexico.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
We had a group of 9 that was in Puerto Aventuras (just south of Playa del Carmen) early this month. It was an awesome gated community that had everything you needed within the confines of the community.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p4055269

Highly recommend Aventuras if people are still looking to go to Mexico.

We went to Puerto Aventuras two years ago.  Indeed, I highly recommend that area. 

Stayed in an enormous condo that, agree, it was in good repair, big pool, on the ocean.  -- The best part of that area is that being a few minutes walk to the lagoon and a dozen restaurants and bars. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
jesmu:

Will be interested in hearing about your experience.

My daughter is getting married in Cabo in May and the whole family will be going. My wife and I actually are going to Cancun for 4 nights (Westin resort in hotel zone) first to enjoy a little serenity before the zaniness starts, then we're flying across the country to Cabo. Staying there for a week at a very nice-looking all-inclusive (Pueblo Bonito Rose). Capping it all off with 2 nights in San Antonio. So a 2-week holiday for the 82s!

We have been to Cancun - stayed in this exact resort - and loved it. Very relaxing, lots to do if we wanted but chilling at the beach/pool was also fun. There is a swim-up bar in the pool - gotta love that.

We did a cruise to the Mexican Riviera a few years back - stopped at Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. Didn't spend all that much time in any of the spots. In Cabo, we decided to take a walk away from the cruise landing area and it was quite slummy. Never felt in danger, but it reminded me of the run-down part of any U.S. city. Maybe we were in danger and didn't even know it. My wife had to go tinkles and we went into a Burger King, but the employee wouldn't let her use the ladies room unless we bought something, so we bought a water. How 'bout that for wonderful vacation memories?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Is Mexico worse than some places in Chicago?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »
been to mexico, cacun(married-1984, 10 year anniversary, took the kids about 15 years ago) no problemas, cabo twice but not in 10 years.  cozumel 15 years ago-guy tried picking up my wife.  i objected and almost got "stuck".  loved all of them at one time...not anymore.  last thing i want to worry about going for a little R & R is safety.  bigger concern for me is the drives from the airports-lots can happen in between-once again-R & R baby.

hate to rain on your vacation/wedding plans, but...this ain't exactly a welcoming party-

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/bodies-of-six-found-hanging-from-bridges/
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
That IS the issue isn't it?  Way too much smoke these days with countless other places to go.

Chick and I are pretty well traveled in the Caribbean.  We like a few places better than others but have found most places and peoples to be wonderful and stunningly beautiful.  I urge all to get out of their American comfort zone and explore.  And for God's sake, don't seek out an Arby's when you're down island.

Let me add that if anyone wants Caribbean guidance chick and I are happy to share our experiences.  Each island is a bit different in part driven by their colonial heritage and geography.  PM if you like.

I hear this Newsie fellow might have some inside scoop on the islands.