collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198999 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #875 on: June 04, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
Lagunitas is Petaluma, CA... they just ran out of water!

Everything east of the Rockies is brewed in Chicago. One of the best tap rooms I've ever visted as well.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #876 on: June 04, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »
I agree it is a great tap room. I was at a retirement party there several years ago as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #877 on: June 04, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »
Everything east of the Rockies is brewed in Chicago. One of the best tap rooms I've ever visted as well.

I'm aware... it was a joke.

The Petaluma brewery is also really cool if you make it out that way.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #878 on: June 04, 2021, 04:57:13 PM »
Pryes Brewery was solid today. Never had a nitro sour if anyone wants to try one in Minneapolis
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #879 on: June 10, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
Not a great example. Corporate, generic recipe following and not interesting. Unless something has changed in the last couple years.

New Glarus is overrated.

They were one of the first so they're held in high regard due to history. Like Pliney the Elder, one is supposed to like it because of history.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #880 on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:03 PM »
I seem to remember a lot of valuable info surrounding Hawaii but can't seem to locate it. We may be switching our honeymoon from Bali to Hawaii just for peace of mind since Indonesia hasn't yet opened their borders. Flights from Chicago into Kauai seem to be cheapest and the shortest. Is that normal? Is that a good route to go?

Any recommendations, even if it's just a link to a prior post?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #881 on: June 10, 2021, 04:29:33 PM »
I seem to remember a lot of valuable info surrounding Hawaii but can't seem to locate it. We may be switching our honeymoon from Bali to Hawaii just for peace of mind since Indonesia hasn't yet opened their borders. Flights from Chicago into Kauai seem to be cheapest and the shortest. Is that normal? Is that a good route to go?

Just like any other flights, fares to the different islands can change.  When we went a couple of months ago, Maui was the cheapest.  Make sure when you are looking at flights that you look at Southwest.  They aren't on the regular travel agency sites.

Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #882 on: June 10, 2021, 04:54:16 PM »

There are no direct flights into Kauai from Chicago to my experience. Kauai is the most northern tourist island so it's furthest (not by much in mileage but by time as it requires a 2nd flight). So, the question is where you do your transfer to Lihue?  In Oakland, Oahu or Maui.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #883 on: June 10, 2021, 10:55:06 PM »

Can’t go wrong with Kauai. I’m jealous!

My 3 must-sees there:

1. Waimea Canyon - the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific.” Truly spectacular. Easily can spend a whole day there.

2. Na Pali Coast - see it by boat unless you really are very strong hikers.

3. Queen’s Bath - probably my favorite place on Mother Earth.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LON

• All American
« Reply #884 on: June 11, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
So overrated.

WI Brewing, Capitol, Karben 4 all much better options.  Haven't been to Ale Asylum but like their beers too.

I thought Deb would follow the science and reopen??

Karben 4 was started by a group of guys from Appleton (Xavier HS), one of which went to MU...also, great beers.  Spotted Cow is totally overrated.  Give me Two Women or Moon Man over Spotted Cow all day, every day.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #885 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
Karben 4 was started by a group of guys from Appleton (Xavier HS), one of which went to MU...also, great beers.  Spotted Cow is totally overrated.  Give me Two Women or Moon Man over Spotted Cow all day, every day.

Moon man for sure, depends on the mood for two women vs spotted

New Glarus should really market its sours better that's where they excel
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:59:53 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #886 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:06 PM »
Moon man for sure, depends on the mood for two women vs spotted

Black Top was my favorite. RIP.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #887 on: June 11, 2021, 12:59:13 PM »

Kauai is the least developed of the tourist islands. I loved it, but it's a little more of a "make your own fun" island. Amazing hiking if you're into that kind of thing. Maui was a little more resort-y and had fancier restaurants and the like. Loved it too, but it was a slightly different vibe.

I'd absolutely go back to Hawaii, so you can't go wrong. Just up to what you want out of the vacation, tbh.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #888 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
Spotted Cow may be a bit overrated at this point due to its "only in Wisconsin; Smokey & the Bandit" schtick, but the thing I love about NG is how drinkable everything is. I also think that Totally Naked is a great beer though, so if that disqualifies my opinion I want to throw it out there for full disclosure.  ;)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #889 on: June 11, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
Kauai is the least developed of the tourist islands. I loved it, but it's a little more of a "make your own fun" island. Amazing hiking if you're into that kind of thing. Maui was a little more resort-y and had fancier restaurants and the like. Loved it too, but it was a slightly different vibe.

I'd absolutely go back to Hawaii, so you can't go wrong. Just up to what you want out of the vacation, tbh.

Appreciate all the responses. Right now it seems like we're down to Hawai vs. Dubai/Abu Dhabi. Two completely different trips/experiences. If anyone has been to Dubai I'd gladly hear some feedback and recommendations.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #890 on: June 11, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
Appreciate all the responses. Right now it seems like we're down to Hawai vs. Dubai/Abu Dhabi. Two completely different trips/experiences. If anyone has been to Dubai I'd gladly hear some feedback and recommendations.

Are you guys looking for a more sight-seeing trip?  More relaxing by pool/beach?  Or outdoorsy/hiking/exploring?

I would think if you switched from Bali, you'd be looking for mostly the middle, with a bit of the latter.

Dubai and AD are extremely cool, especially if you've never been.  But unless you're fine hanging out at a luxury hotel, its gonna be a pretty active trip.  Tons of absolute spectacles to see.  Ive been to Dubai a few times before, but Abu Dhabi, I had an impromptu long layover.  So I anticipated hanging out, going to the pool for a bit, having a nice meal.  But there was a bunch of cool stuff to see, especially when I didn't know when I'd be back, that I ended up having a super busy day.

Other than both being warm, you might as well ask "Hawaii or London" or "Hawaii or HK"  cause the draws are drastically different.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #891 on: June 11, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »
Are you guys looking for a more sight-seeing trip?  More relaxing by pool/beach?  Or outdoorsy/hiking/exploring?

I would think if you switched from Bali, you'd be looking for mostly the middle, with a bit of the latter.

Dubai and AD are extremely cool, especially if you've never been.  But unless you're fine hanging out at a luxury hotel, its gonna be a pretty active trip.  Tons of absolute spectacles to see.  Ive been to Dubai a few times before, but Abu Dhabi, I had an impromptu long layover.  So I anticipated hanging out, going to the pool for a bit, having a nice meal.  But there was a bunch of cool stuff to see, especially when I didn't know when I'd be back, that I ended up having a super busy day.

Other than both being warm, you might as well ask "Hawaii or London" or "Hawaii or HK"  cause the draws are drastically different.

We're going for 9 nights. Probably want to spend most of our time sightseeing, hiking and exploring with 1 or 2 pool/relaxing days.

I think we're leaning towards Dubai. We'll probably stay at a nice hotel but most time will be spent outside the resort. We don't mind trekking around.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #892 on: June 11, 2021, 10:03:02 PM »
We're going for 9 nights. Probably want to spend most of our time sightseeing, hiking and exploring with 1 or 2 pool/relaxing days.

I think we're leaning towards Dubai. We'll probably stay at a nice hotel but most time will be spent outside the resort. We don't mind trekking around.

Maldives maybe?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #893 on: June 12, 2021, 06:27:49 AM »

Have you looked at Thailand?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #894 on: June 12, 2021, 04:49:02 PM »
Have you looked at Thailand?

Yes. Strongly considered it but decided that's somewhere we would like to go once the region has COVID more under control.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #895 on: June 12, 2021, 07:34:00 PM »
Yes. Strongly considered it but decided that's somewhere we would like to go once the region has COVID more under control.

Fair enough.  PM me if you're interested in going there in the future.  I've been fortunate to have visited many times and covered most of the country.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #896 on: June 13, 2021, 09:09:07 AM »
Recently did 2 weeks in Dubai because it's one of the few places "open".  Spilled for 5 star hotel in JBR and never regretted a second of it.  PM for details.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #897 on: June 13, 2021, 12:16:32 PM »
So I just re-checked the Hawaii travel site for fun.  Now it appears you can go without the 3 day Covid test by uploading your vaccination card.  Progress.

(You all may recall chick and I went in April when a negative test was absolutely required.)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #898 on: June 13, 2021, 12:38:12 PM »

Not anymore unless it's New Castle. It's more a Heineken brewery now than Lagunitas.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #899 on: June 13, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
One of the interesting things about traveling is the whole being a tourist versus living there discussion.

About 15 years ago, I had to spend significant time actually working in Hawaii and dealing with their bureaucracy, traffic, local work ethic etc . It was far different from the times I spent there as a tourist. Going out two weeks out of month really wore me out.

Manhattan is the same way. Fun to visit, but living there is much different, even in the best locations.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire