[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197472 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #800 on: May 27, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »
I'm very fortunate to have spent a lot of time in Hawaii and all of the islands because my friend  is there.  If you need any recommendations let me know.  I'm partial to the Big Island but Kauai is without question the most attractive and easiest to cover.  Personally, I like to stay in Kekaha just West of Poipu.  The North Shore is absolutely gorgeous but it can  pour up there.  Kekaha is probably the least touristy spot, has the best weather on the island, and has a superb beach along with Polahalie which is further West towards Waimea Canyon.  Kekaha Beach, if you're looking for boogie boarding, surfing, or swimming is better than Poipu.  It's never crowded and a lot larger than people realize.  The sunsets there are spectacular.  Because the Island is so small you can still get all the way to the North from there in 1.5 hrs.  Again, Kekaha is the place with the best grocery store on the island in Waimea 5 mins away.

I was fortunate enough to live in Hawaii for three years back in the 90s. Big island is by far my favorite. Much laxer rules back then. We walked on ground that didn’t exist just days before. Somewhere I have a picture standing on ground where you could still see red hot glowing earth through a crack in the rock.
Kauai is gorgeous beyond words. Napali coast is quite rainy. Don’t go hiking if it’s raining. Same is true for many parts of the islands.
One time we went over to Kauai for the day just to hike the Napali coast, raining on the flight over, sprinkling as we headed that way. Saw an amazing waterfalls the way in the distance , wondered if we’d see it up close. Debated about the go no go decision to hike as we drove to the trail head. As we turned the corner of the only road to the trailhead, we saw the decision was made for us, as the outflow of the earlier waterfall was pouring across the road making it impassable. Sucked for us, but not nearly as much as it did for the people trapped on the other side as there was no other way out. Wonder how long they ended up stuck there.
We did an amazing hike in the center of the island, drinks and food on a beach front bar, then home to Oahu.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #801 on: May 27, 2021, 09:14:05 PM »
I was fortunate enough to live in Hawaii for three years back in the 90s. Big island is by far my favorite. Much laxer rules back then. We walked on ground that didn’t exist just days before. Somewhere I have a picture standing on ground where you could still see red hot glowing earth through a crack in the rock.
Kauai is gorgeous beyond words. Napali coast is quite rainy. Don’t go hiking if it’s raining. Same is true for many parts of the islands.
One time we went over to Kauai for the day just to hike the Napali coast, raining on the flight over, sprinkling as we headed that way. Saw an amazing waterfalls the way in the distance , wondered if we’d see it up close. Debated about the go no go decision to hike as we drove to the trail head. As we turned the corner of the only road to the trailhead, we saw the decision was made for us, as the outflow of the earlier waterfall was pouring across the road making it impassable. Sucked for us, but not nearly as much as it did for the people trapped on the other side as there was no other way out. Wonder how long they ended up stuck there.
We did an amazing hike in the center of the island, drinks and food on a beach front bar, then home to Oahu.

I'm totally with you and that's awesome that you got to live there for three years.  Your description is exactly right.  To witness the earth changing in front of you ,and walk on beaches, that didn't exist a day before is indescribably amazing.  Truthfully, despite my bias, I just think the Big Island has by far the most to see and do.  And for vastly different interest levels.  There are really beautiful spots but they're generally not in touristy areas at all.  That's probably what Iike the most: outside of Kailua-Kona, Waikoloa, and the Volcanoes Park, the Big Island actually isn't touristy at all.  Personally I like Maui the least despite the beauty of the island. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #802 on: May 27, 2021, 09:28:01 PM »
Big Island is my favorite.
I agree with you on Maui. My least favorite. That being said, it’s like which is your least favorite car between a Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari and Bentley. All are amazing.
If you have one shot at Hawaii and just want to experience “Hawaii” Maui is a good choice, it’s like a sample platter. Volcano, check, beautiful beaches, check, amazing golf, check, waterfalls, check.
Everyone that says Oahu is too crowded, touristy, hasn’t gone off the beaten track or gone to locals places. Hike through bamboo forests, have  Haunama bay all to yourself by going at the end of the day, plate lunches, real shave ice in Kailua, gorgeous local beaches in Waimanalo, the original Roy’s restaurant in Hawaii Kai far from tourists, malasada donuts at Leonard’s.

And yes, I did spend way too much money for a couple trips down the mountain, but I can say I’ve snow skied Hawaii.  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #803 on: May 27, 2021, 09:36:32 PM »
Big Island is my favorite.
I agree with you on Maui. My least favorite. That being said, it’s like which is your least favorite car between a Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari and Bentley. All are amazing.
If you have one shot at Hawaii and just want to experience “Hawaii” Maui is a good choice, it’s like a sample platter. Volcano, check, beautiful beaches, check, amazing golf, check, waterfalls, check.
Everyone that says Oahu is too crowded, touristy, hasn’t gone off the beaten track or gone to locals places. Hike through bamboo forests, have  Haunama bay all to yourself by going at the end of the day, plate lunches, real shave ice in Kailua, gorgeous local beaches in Waimanalo, the original Roy’s restaurant in Hawaii Kai far from tourists, malasada donuts at Leonard’s.

And yes, I did spend way too much money for a couple trips down the mountain, but I can say I’ve snow skied Hawaii.  ;D

No doubt. Your sports car analogy is spot-on. Molokai is absolutely gorgeous as well.  Highest sea cliffs in the world I believe.  I just think the Big I is by far the most interesting.  I even like Hilo despite the rain.  But most of all the humpback whales are beyond words.  If I could just get off the ground like they can from the water.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #804 on: May 27, 2021, 11:06:04 PM »
I appreciate the conversation, Muggs and pbi. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

One of the many things I love about the islands is that you can be touristy if you want to, or you can get away from it all if you want to ... and either choice is beautiful.

Thanks Muggs for the info on Kekaha. We’ll definitely check it out next time on Kauai.

My favorite spot is Queen’s Bath - I told my family that’s where I want my ashes spread after I’m gone.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #805 on: May 27, 2021, 11:20:52 PM »
I hadn’t read this thread in a while, just booked a two week trip with the family back to the islands for February.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2021, 11:37:22 PM »
I appreciate the conversation, Muggs and pbi. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

One of the many things I love about the islands is that you can be touristy if you want to, or you can get away from it all if you want to ... and either choice is beautiful.

Thanks Muggs for the info on Kekaha. We’ll definitely check it out next time on Kauai.

My favorite spot is Queen’s Bath - I told my family that’s where I want my ashes spread after I’m gone.

Queen's Bath is a phenomenal spot.  Love that place.  Part of my fondness for Kekaha may be personal preference but it's absolutely the best weather location on the Island.  It's certainly isolated but yet you have everything you need there and it's so peaceful.  All I can tell you is I would wake up, cross the street, and paddleboard off a pristine beach every day.   The six of us rented a 4 bedroom house, across from this beach, about 4000 square feet, 2017, for $450 a night.  The Hyatt in Poipu was like $850 a night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #807 on: May 28, 2021, 12:06:04 AM »
I hadn’t read this thread in a while, just booked a two week trip with the family back to the islands for February.

Which parts of which islands, Dish?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #808 on: May 28, 2021, 12:16:29 AM »
Queen's Bath is a phenomenal spot.  Love that place.  Part of my fondness for Kekaha may be personal preference but it's absolutely the best weather location on the Island.  It's certainly isolated but yet you have everything you need there and it's so peaceful.  All I can tell you is I would wake up, cross the street, and paddleboard off a pristine beach every day.   The six of us rented a 4 bedroom house, across from this beach, about 4000 square feet, 2017, for $450 a night.  The Hyatt in Poipu was like $850 a night.

Someday, I'll tell you about my near demise at Queen's Bath.

We've stayed at the Marriott timeshare on Poipu a couple times (Waiohai Beach Club). Also have stayed up in Princeville and near Kalapaki Beach. In addition to Queen's Bath, we really love Waimea Canyon State Park. Once upon a time, we wanted to do the hike to Napali, but I think that kind of rugged hike is out of our wheelhouse now.

Can't wait to get back in 2023 ... though this conversation is making me think we need to do an interim trip before then!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #809 on: May 28, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
Someday, I'll tell you about my near demise at Queen's Bath.

We've stayed at the Marriott timeshare on Poipu a couple times (Waiohai Beach Club). Also have stayed up in Princeville and near Kalapaki Beach. In addition to Queen's Bath, we really love Waimea Canyon State Park. Once upon a time, we wanted to do the hike to Napali, but I think that kind of rugged hike is out of our wheelhouse now.

Can't wait to get back in 2023 ... though this conversation is making me think we need to do an interim trip before then!

The Napali Coast hike has it's challenges.  It's best to be safe if you have some trepidation.  The 4 mile isn't all that difficult so I'm sure you can manage.  It would be a breeze if you were an Ibex.  :) 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #810 on: May 28, 2021, 01:34:16 AM »
Which parts of which islands, Dish?

I have a soft spot for Wailea, as do my parents and siblings. 14 of us headed there for a week. My wife/kids have always wanted to go to Disney’s Aulani, so we’re spending a week there as well.

PS - I’ll be broke for a while.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #811 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:18 AM »
I have a soft spot for Wailea, as do my parents and siblings. 14 of us headed there for a week. My wife/kids have always wanted to go to Disney’s Aulani, so we’re spending a week there as well.

Eh ... it's only money. As I get (only a little) older, I am realizing that experiences matter a whole lot more than "stuff," and experiences with our families matter most of all.

What's not to love about Wailea? Great beaches and all the pampering one can afford!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #812 on: May 28, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »

Have a buddy whose at Aulani right now. He’s absolutely loving life.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #813 on: May 28, 2021, 08:51:30 AM »
Eh ... it's only money. As I get (only a little) older, I am realizing that experiences matter a whole lot more than "stuff," and experiences with our families matter most of all.

What's not to love about Wailea? Great beaches and all the pampering one can afford!

Oh totally agree with you. I should have added some context. I’ve got 3 kids, and when we went to Wailea in 2019, we got a decent sized suite and made it work with 5 of us. My twins will be almost 12 on next year’s trip and add a 7 year old, and from a comfort level, we’ve reached the point of needing two rooms now on trips.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #814 on: May 28, 2021, 09:22:24 AM »
Oh totally agree with you. I should have added some context. I’ve got 3 kids, and when we went to Wailea in 2019, we got a decent sized suite and made it work with 5 of us. My twins will be almost 12 on next year’s trip and add a 7 year old, and from a comfort level, we’ve reached the point of needing two rooms now on trips.

Sounds like fun. Expensive fun, but fun nonetheless!

My son is father to twin boys who will turn 2 in August, and man that's a lot of work!! So my hat is off to you!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #815 on: May 28, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »

That was one of the most illuminating tidbits of advice my Dad ever gave me in my young adulthood.  Obviously its not based in "accumulate debt/be reckless", but when it comes to money you have, when looking at trips or memories on those trips.   Spend the extra $100 for the room upgrade, spend $$ on an excursion you're not sure about, splurge for that dinner at the restaurant all the locals rave about...you'll remember it far more than anything you'll gain from taking that extra cash home with you.

I remember a trip to Disney as a kid.  We had never stayed near the parks, for good reason, cause it was absurdly expensive and we stayed an entire long weekend for the cost of a night at one hotel.   But for one of my younger sister's first trip, my Dad booked us at the Contemporary (with the monorail running through it) and I thought my head was gonna explode as we pulled up.  Its a vivid memory 25 years later. 

Later we went on a trip to Amalfi as a family.  Were gonna take a ferry to Capri for the day.  My sisters convinced my Dad to charter a boat with a captain for the day to cruise us all around, including stopping on Capri.  I could see my Dad wince as he handed the credit card to run it, but it was an incredible day, incredible memories, and I know he never regretted it for a minute.

Memories & Experiences>>>>

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #816 on: May 28, 2021, 10:41:59 AM »

When my kids were young and I had a ton of hotel points, our VP said enjoy it, soon you will have to get multiple rooms or do air b&b. At the time, vrbo and air b&b were somewhat new. I dismissed it.
Now, we hardly ever do hotels, but mostly air b&b, vrbos, etc. Much more comfortable. Hotels are always two rooms now and my points total have dwindled considerably.  >:(

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #817 on: May 28, 2021, 02:58:57 PM »
Confirmed my wife's and mine's trip to Italy. Going in October for 12 days. Positives are that neither of us expects much in the way of crowds for most of the trip (Rome probably will be an exception). Negatives are that we sure hope the Covid-19 hangover is gone and that stores etc., are open.

Probably will spend time in Rome, Tuscany and Venice. Rome is marginal while Tuscany is a big draw for us as is Venice.

Side note -- scheduled myself on a Lufthansa 747-800 in what probably will be my last ever ride in a passenger Boeing 747. Lufthansa is still flying the Queen of the Skies and it will be kinda nice to be in one.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #818 on: May 28, 2021, 03:40:53 PM »
Confirmed my wife's and mine's trip to Italy. Going in October for 12 days. Positives are that neither of us expects much in the way of crowds for most of the trip (Rome probably will be an exception). Negatives are that we sure hope the Covid-19 hangover is gone and that stores etc., are open.

Probably will spend time in Rome, Tuscany and Venice. Rome is marginal while Tuscany is a big draw for us as is Venice.

Side note -- scheduled myself on a Lufthansa 747-800 in what probably will be my last ever ride in a passenger Boeing 747. Lufthansa is still flying the Queen of the Skies and it will be kinda nice to be in one.

If you've never been to Tuscany, you'll love it.  Its my favorite place in Italy Ive been by far.  And Venice with limited to sparse tourism sounds DIVINE.  If only cutting out the cruise traffic, it could become a radically different trip.

As for the 747, enjoy!  Its crazy the shift.  Flying roughly 75 international legs in the last 5 years pre-Covid, I think I was on a single 747 flight, maybe 2.  And both were accidental, a Lufthansa rebook and a trip through Tokyo due to delays messing up a direct to HK.  One of my goals leading into 2020 was trying to find a way into an upper deck business class seat on a 747 given their rapid retirement.  My Dad's trips, usually to Narita, in that class are highlights in his extensive world travel.  Now I'm realizing Im probably gonna be SOL.  Ive actually never flown an A380 either come to think of it.  Neither my ANA or Lufthansa flights have been on one and an Etihad flight had an equipment change due to low volume when I flew Shanghai to Abu Dhabi a few years back.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #819 on: May 28, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »
That was one of the most illuminating tidbits of advice my Dad ever gave me in my young adulthood.  Obviously its not based in "accumulate debt/be reckless", but when it comes to money you have, when looking at trips or memories on those trips.   Spend the extra $100 for the room upgrade, spend $$ on an excursion you're not sure about, splurge for that dinner at the restaurant all the locals rave about...you'll remember it far more than anything you'll gain from taking that extra cash home with you.

I remember a trip to Disney as a kid.  We had never stayed near the parks, for good reason, cause it was absurdly expensive and we stayed an entire long weekend for the cost of a night at one hotel.   But for one of my younger sister's first trip, my Dad booked us at the Contemporary (with the monorail running through it) and I thought my head was gonna explode as we pulled up.  Its a vivid memory 25 years later. 

Later we went on a trip to Amalfi as a family.  Were gonna take a ferry to Capri for the day.  My sisters convinced my Dad to charter a boat with a captain for the day to cruise us all around, including stopping on Capri.  I could see my Dad wince as he handed the credit card to run it, but it was an incredible day, incredible memories, and I know he never regretted it for a minute.

Memories & Experiences>>>>

Agree with every word. Glad you and your family had those great experiences.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #820 on: May 28, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »
Eh ... it's only money.

Yeah, but too many people take that farther than they probably should.

I read somewhere that the typical family spends more on vacations in a given year than they put into the kids' college funds.

No Bueno.
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #821 on: May 28, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
About 15 years ago, flew from SFO to Singapore (Singapore Air) on the top deck of a 747. Best flight experience I’ve ever had, not even close.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #822 on: May 28, 2021, 09:12:55 PM »
About 15 years ago, flew from SFO to Singapore (Singapore Air) on the top deck of a 747. Best flight experience I’ve ever had, not even close.
[/quote

Singapore Airlines is the absolute best.  Did you get their pajamas?  I have yet to be lucky enough to get a first cabin which is basically a bedroom.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #823 on: May 28, 2021, 09:45:11 PM »
Yeah, but too many people take that farther than they probably should.

I read somewhere that the typical family spends more on vacations in a given year than they put into the kids' college funds.

No Bueno.

I didn’t think that applied to Dish, so I had no problem saying what I did.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #824 on: May 29, 2021, 07:12:02 AM »
I didn’t think that applied to Dish, so I had no problem saying what I did.

I am not saying it did apply to Dish.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback