[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 197481 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #775 on: April 29, 2021, 09:34:43 PM »
Anyone arrived in the USA on an international flight recently?  Care to share the experience?  Were there extra COVID-related hassles upon arrival?

Wife and I went to Costa Rica a couple weeks ago.  We stopped by a local clinic to get a rapid test the day before our flight and got results via email in an hour.  Airline employee checked documentation at check-in and that was the extent of it.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #776 on: May 16, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
I just downed some Sopapillas at Tomasita's in Santa Fe.  There are just big square puffy pillows of bliss with a little honey and butter.  Whoever invented these things should get some version of the medal of honor.  :)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #777 on: May 16, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
I just downed some Sopapillas at Tomasita's in Santa Fe.  There are just big square puffy pillows of bliss with a little honey and butter.  Whoever invented these things should get some version of the medal of honor.  :)

Didn't they have those at Chi-Chi's?
Have some patience, FFS.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #778 on: May 16, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
It should be a tollway by now.

Think again, Kimosabe.

After about 40 years of debate, discussion and all around nonsense, the Toll Highway Authority gave up on the North Central Tollway. It's off the maps.

In Illinois, that doesn't mean its dead. But the chance it will happen in our lifetime is zero.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #779 on: May 16, 2021, 10:20:06 PM »
Didn't they have those at Chi-Chi's?

I dunno what they had at chi-chi but Sopapillas and Navajo Fry Bread are both outstanding. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #780 on: May 17, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »

Sopapillas are a staple of New Mexican style/variation of Mexican food. Growing up in SW Colorado, that is the variation of Mexican food that I grew up with and still reminds me of home. Green chile and green chile sauce are another main feature of that style food. I'll be in Phoenix in a week...can't wait to have some green chile and sopapillas.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #781 on: May 17, 2021, 07:48:19 AM »
What about fried ice cream?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #782 on: May 17, 2021, 08:13:50 AM »
What about fried ice cream?

My favorite authentic Mexican food is nachos.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #783 on: May 17, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »
Sopapillas are a staple of New Mexican style/variation of Mexican food. Growing up in SW Colorado, that is the variation of Mexican food that I grew up with and still reminds me of home. Green chile and green chile sauce are another main feature of that style food. I'll be in Phoenix in a week...can't wait to have some green chile and sopapillas.

I like the Green Chile sauce as well.   The Red is good too but the Green puts me in a better mood.  I think I'll start my morning off with some Huevos Rancheros before heading up to the Bandelier monument. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #784 on: May 17, 2021, 09:17:26 PM »
Think again, Kimosabe.

After about 40 years of debate, discussion and all around nonsense, the Toll Highway Authority gave up on the North Central Tollway. It's off the maps.

In Illinois, that doesn't mean its dead. But the chance it will happen in our lifetime is zero.

Well aware on a personal level, thank you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #785 on: May 20, 2021, 09:30:09 PM »
New Zealand thoughts?  What's your itinerary if you had a week?  Ty.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #786 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:03 PM »
New Zealand thoughts?  What's your itinerary if you h ad a week?  Ty.

Double it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #787 on: May 20, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »

Just a week?!?!  I spent 3+ on the south island, can't give any advice on the north (other than flying through).  Highlights were Franz Josef/Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Fjordland (Te Anau), Dunedin, Akaroa. It's hard to go wrong there.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #788 on: May 21, 2021, 06:39:41 AM »
Ty Ziggy and Rocky.  Ya... I'm hearing a week is nowhere near enough time.  I thought maybe I could hop over there from Canberra later this year but I guess I wasn't thinking too clearly.  Maybe I'll look into Tasmania if I go to the conference. 

I would imagine the best time to be in NZ is Dec-March.? 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #789 on: May 21, 2021, 08:25:01 AM »
Double it.

This.
Also, do adventure stuff, they are experts at it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #790 on: May 21, 2021, 02:26:59 PM »
I would imagine the best time to be in NZ is Dec-March.?

Depends on how you define "best".  That's probably the best weather, but you'll have to fight the crowds to see things. We went in late September/early October (their spring). And while we had a few rainy cold days, it felt we had the island to ourselves, but most tourist things were open (but most of it is just nature).  Plus, fjordland during the rain is amazing with the spontaneous waterfalls.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #791 on: May 21, 2021, 02:51:48 PM »
Depends on how you define "best".  That's probably the best weather, but you'll have to fight the crowds to see things. We went in late September/early October (their spring). And while we had a few rainy cold days, it felt we had the island to ourselves, but most tourist things were open (but most of it is just nature).  Plus, fjordland during the rain is amazing with the spontaneous waterfalls.

Good point Rocky.  I would like the entire country to myself if possible.  :)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #792 on: May 21, 2021, 03:01:00 PM »

Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit stuff.  They were all filmed there and the tie-in to Marquette.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #793 on: May 22, 2021, 11:35:45 AM »

Went in August several years ago.  South Island.  Stayed in Queenstown and skiied all the local resorts.  It was great.  Did some touristy stuff on the lake as well.  Lots of good vineyards not too far to drive as well.

It's like USA in 70's... nothing open on Sunday, most shops close at 5... many towns have one night per week of "late" shopping until 6 or 7 so if you plan to rent a house or apartment or even just drive around you do need to plan your provision stops.  I'd definitely go back.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #795 on: May 27, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
One of our favorite beaches -- Hapuna, on The Big Island -- is named No. 1 by "Dr. Beach."

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-science-travel-health-coronavirus-pandemic-80008cba38897a7706029251a8d26d9b?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=May26_Morning_Wire&utm_term=Morning%20Wire%20Subscribers

I love Hapuna.  I probably mentioned I have a good friend who lives 10 mins north of there in Kawaihae.  When you go back be sure to stop at the Hale Da Fish shack which is about 8 mins from Hapuna towards Kawaihae and Hawi.  Phenomenal poke and a great assortment of fresh fish and seafood.  You can see them bring in the fish if you go early.  It's a little bitty place but well worth your time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 12:24:49 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #796 on: May 27, 2021, 02:37:09 PM »
I love Hapuna.  I probably mentioned I have a good friend who lives 10 mins north of there in Kawaihae.  When you go back be sure to stop at the Hale Da Fish shack which is about 8 mins from Hapuna towards Kawaihae and Hawi.  Phenomenal poke and a great assortment of fresh fish and seafood.  You can see them bring in the fish if you go early.  It's a little bitty place but well worth your time.

Good stuff, Muggs.

We go to Hawaii every 3-4 years and kind of rotate our islands. Most recently went to TBI (in 2017), so probably won't get back there for awhile. Our next trip figures to be Maui in 2023, when our Warrior/Eagles play in the tourney there. Plus, we like Kauai best, so we try to spend a few days there on every trip.

We went to TBI the very first time we went to Hawaii, in 1993, to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. Hapuna was sensational but, as the writer of that article notes, more than a little dangerous. Our first day there was apparently perfect conditions. We boogie-boarded for hours and had a blast. We had such a good time that we went back the next day, and it was quite treacherous. The waves would sweep us up on our boogie-boards, and then send us crashing down. I landed on my shoulders and back repeatedly, and we later were told that it's quite common for boogie-boarders to suffer concussions there. We went back one more time and were more careful not to ride the waves too high, but my brother and I weren't paying attention to exactly where we were and all of a sudden we looked up and we were way out away from shore. We are both strong swimmers, but we were like, "Uh-oh, this isn't good." Thankfully, a guy came by on a surfboard and asked if we wanted to be towed in. We weren't too proud - we accepted his help.

Back then, Hapuna was totally undeveloped. Now there are  resorts around it. Still beautiful, though.

Damn, I love effen Hawaii!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #797 on: May 27, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »
Recommendations for Minneapolis?

Been more than a couple times but figure I'd see if there's anything people could suggest to peak my interest :)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #798 on: May 27, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »
Good stuff, Muggs.

We go to Hawaii every 3-4 years and kind of rotate our islands. Most recently went to TBI (in 2017), so probably won't get back there for awhile. Our next trip figures to be Maui in 2023, when our Warrior/Eagles play in the tourney there. Plus, we like Kauai best, so we try to spend a few days there on every trip.

We went to TBI the very first time we went to Hawaii, in 1993, to celebrate my parents' 50th anniversary. Hapuna was sensational but, as the writer of that article notes, more than a little dangerous. Our first day there was apparently perfect conditions. We boogie-boarded for hours and had a blast. We had such a good time that we went back the next day, and it was quite treacherous. The waves would sweep us up on our boogie-boards, and then send us crashing down. I landed on my shoulders and back repeatedly, and we later were told that it's quite common for boogie-boarders to suffer concussions there. We went back one more time and were more careful not to ride the waves too high, but my brother and I weren't paying attention to exactly where we were and all of a sudden we looked up and we were way out away from shore. We are both strong swimmers, but we were like, "Uh-oh, this isn't good." Thankfully, a guy came by on a surfboard and asked if we wanted to be towed in. We weren't too proud - we accepted his help.

Back then, Hapuna was totally undeveloped. Now there are  resorts around it. Still beautiful, though.

Damn, I love effen Hawaii!

I'm very fortunate to have spent a lot of time in Hawaii and all of the islands because my friend  is there.  If you need any recommendations let me know.  I'm partial to the Big Island but Kauai is without question the most attractive and easiest to cover.  Personally, I like to stay in Kekaha just West of Poipu.  The North Shore is absolutely gorgeous but it can  pour up there.  Kekaha is probably the least touristy spot, has the best weather on the island, and has a superb beach along with Polahalie which is further West towards Waimea Canyon.  Kekaha Beach, if you're looking for boogie boarding, surfing, or swimming is better than Poipu.  It's never crowded and a lot larger than people realize.  The sunsets there are spectacular.  Because the Island is so small you can still get all the way to the North from there in 1.5 hrs.  Again, Kekaha is the place with the best grocery store on the island in Waimea 5 mins away.   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:26:17 PM by MuggsyB »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2021, 04:04:16 PM »
Recommendations for Minneapolis?

Been more than a couple times but figure I'd see if there's anything people could suggest to peak my interest :)

Hit up beejay's crib.