collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by denverMU
[March 28, 2024, 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198861 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
I've got travel issues right now because a certain Jesuit institution went from telling us that there would be a virtual commencement on "commencement weekend" to telling us that there might be an in-person commencement to telling us yesterday that there will, in fact, be an in-person commencement. That's fantastic! Just one thing -- the in-person commencement will be on Monday, May 24 -- the day after "commencement weekend." Unfortunately, we had planned our family vacation beginning with flights in the early morning on May 24. We're scrambling. A lot.

While I am genuinely thrilled that my daughter will have an in-person commencement, I find it remarkable that they would schedule it for the Monday after "commencement weekend" without so much as a single word acknowledging that this likely significantly affects the travel plans of many attending (if not most).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »
Have not been there is a while but used to stay at the Brown Hotel.  Great little bar with huge bourbon selection.  Very historic.

I said Omni previously but PBR is right, the Brown has the Library, a great bourbon bar and a speakeasy with a bowling alley.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #752 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »
So today, Glow and I were hiking down from the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, and a fortyish woman going the other direction saw my hoodie and said, "Go, Marquette!" When we asked her what her connection was, she said, "Al McGuire was my grandpa".

Turns out that she is the daughter of Al's middle child. She doesn't live in the area anymore and doesn't get back much. But she was there for the Al's dedication and was very happy to hear how much he is still revered.

She was born after Al retired from coaching, so she remembers him mostly as a TV commentator, career-wise. She said he would do special signals on-air to say "hello" to her.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #753 on: April 26, 2021, 10:34:01 PM »
So today, Glow and I were hiking down from the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, and a fortyish woman going the other direction saw my hoodie and said, "Go, Marquette!" When we asked her what her connection was, she said, "Al McGuire was my grandpa".

Turns out that she is the daughter of Al's middle child. She doesn't live in the area anymore and doesn't get back much. But she was there for the Al's dedication and was very happy to hear how much he is still revered.

She was born after Al retired from coaching, so she remembers him mostly as a TV commentator, career-wise. She said he would do special signals on-air to say "hello" to her.

That's a real cool story, chick ... and even better if "hiking down from the Delicate Arch" is you and glow's version of Mark Sanford's "hiking the Appalachian Trail."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2021, 10:45:08 PM »
That's a real cool story, chick ... and even better if "hiking down from the Delicate Arch" is you and glow's version of Mark Sanford's "hiking the Appalachian Trail."
Ha, no.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »

Hope you took a selfie with her.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2021, 11:24:37 AM »
Anybody have a good recommendation for a day trip from Chicago? a cute suburb that's unique (local business outnumbering chains) or a small town that's close enough I could still get back home at the end of the day?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
Anybody have a good recommendation for a day trip from Chicago? a cute suburb that's unique (local business outnumbering chains) or a small town that's close enough I could still get back home at the end of the day?

Saugatuck is only like 2 hours from Chicago. We escaped up to there during last summer and rented a house for a bit. Lots of local restaurants. Really recommend The Southerner. Not sure how unique it all is, but it is quaint and charming. Holland, MI is another decent bet for walking around and hitting a few local spots (and only a few miles north of Saugatuck).

Not sure if that's what you're looking for in terms of distance.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2021, 11:32:30 AM »

A couple of ideas:

1) Lake Geneva -- The ultimate Chicago local road trip. Lots of interesting stores, quaint and a nice lake to boot. Lots of tourists on a summer weekend.

2) Galena -- Have to get up early and be back late, but this is the outer limits of a day trip. Ultra quaint downtown and decent restaurants. If you want more, a much improving Dubuque is 12 miles away.

3) Milwaukee -- Beside stopping at MU, there's kayaking on the Milwaukee River, the beach is less crowded and the shops can be fun.

4) Indiana Dunes -- Nice beaches. No quaint towns (unless Gary qualifies).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Saugatuck is only like 2 hours from Chicago. We escaped up to there during last summer and rented a house for a bit. Lots of local restaurants. Really recommend The Southerner. Not sure how unique it all is, but it is quaint and charming. Holland, MI is another decent bet for walking around and hitting a few local spots (and only a few miles north of Saugatuck).

That's pushing it for just a day trip but something I'd certainly consider for the future!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
A couple of ideas:

1) Lake Geneva -- The ultimate Chicago local road trip. Lots of interesting stores, quaint and a nice lake to boot. Lots of tourists on a summer weekend.

2) Galena -- Have to get up early and be back late, but this is the outer limits of a day trip. Ultra quaint downtown and decent restaurants. If you want more, a much improving Dubuque is 12 miles away.

3) Milwaukee -- Beside stopping at MU, there's kayaking on the Milwaukee River, the beach is less crowded and the shops can be fun.

4) Indiana Dunes -- Nice beaches. No quaint towns (unless Gary qualifies).

1) My uncle had a house on Lilly lake, 10min from Lake Geneva. So many a memory in lake Geneva but I haven't been back since I could check out a bar or two!

2) same with Galena, we used to stay at that Irish pub/hotel and go skiing but haven't been since I could check out a brewery or really appreciate the local food.

3) My fiancé moved back to MKE b/c schools are in person so that ones happening either way!

4) I have actually never done the dunes, never even occurred to me.

Thanks!!! These are definitely within the "day trip" radius I was looking for.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:39:45 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »

Fennville / Saugatuck, MI.

Virtue Cider. Wineries. A few breweries. Great restaurants. 2 hours each way from Chicago.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2021, 02:45:34 PM »

Southerner is fantastic!
But I like to throw handfuls...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
Southerner is fantastic!

It really is. I ate there way too much because the house we were at was walking distance from it.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2021, 05:25:50 PM »

Is Long Grove still a cute little town or is that all overgrown now?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2021, 05:37:26 PM »
Geneva (not Lake Geneva) has a great restaurant scene. It's on the Fox River so there is some nice outdoor opportunities. It has a great flea market the first weekend of every month if you are into that sort of thing.
It's straight out route 38 from Chicago.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »
Hope you took a selfie with her.

Why would I do that?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »
1) My uncle had a house on Lilly lake, 10min from Lake Geneva. So many a memory in lake Geneva but I haven't been back since I could check out a bar or two!

2) same with Galena, we used to stay at that Irish pub/hotel and go skiing but haven't been since I could check out a brewery or really appreciate the local food.

3) My fiancé moved back to MKE b/c schools are in person so that ones happening either way!

4) I have actually never done the dunes, never even occurred to me.

Thanks!!! These are definitely within the "day trip" radius I was looking for.

Don't forget to go to Leon's during your Milwaukee trip. Far superior to Kopps or Gilles. The butter pecan is indescribably delicious. Don't get the chocolate, for whatever reason it's a little bitter. All other flavors excel though.

Lots of nice forest preserves to hike through if you're into that. I remember going to the one in (or near) Hinsdale a couple of times - very relaxing, shaded, can hike as long or short as you want.

The Graue Mill near Oak Brook is cool. A real working mill, where they grind cornmeal, etc. Feels like you're in yesteryear, and it's impossible to not take a bag of something home with you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2021, 07:36:44 PM »
Geneva (not Lake Geneva) has a great restaurant scene. It's on the Fox River so there is some nice outdoor opportunities. It has a great flea market the first weekend of every month if you are into that sort of thing.

Score. Plus St. Charles and Batavia are walkable along the River path. Can take the Metra if in the city.

Long Grove?  No. Cedarburg? Yes.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2021, 09:22:05 PM »

Cool story. 

My (former) boss .. one day he tells me, oh, yeah, Al McGuire is my godfather.  --  Crazy that he was a Badger.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #770 on: April 28, 2021, 07:12:51 AM »
Is Long Grove still a cute little town or is that all overgrown now?

It should be a tollway by now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »

I'd heard that about Geneva before, will definitely have to give it a shot now that's it's been verified!
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »
I'd heard that about Geneva before, will definitely have to give it a shot now that's it's been verified!

I used to live reasonably close to it, so PM me if you would like some specific recommendations.
Have some patience, FFS.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #773 on: April 29, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
Anyone arrived in the USA on an international flight recently?  Care to share the experience?  Were there extra COVID-related hassles upon arrival?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #774 on: April 29, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
Anyone arrived in the USA on an international flight recently?  Care to share the experience?  Were there extra COVID-related hassles upon arrival?

Fiance returned from India in March. Had to submit a negative test within 48 hours of her flight before boarding. No other hassles.

feedback