collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199068 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #650 on: April 04, 2021, 11:05:38 AM »
Napa?

Nope.  But another good effort.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #651 on: April 04, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Nope.  But another good effort.

You realize that this is a matter of opinion, right?
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #652 on: April 04, 2021, 11:12:40 AM »

Yes, to a degree. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #653 on: April 04, 2021, 11:16:59 AM »
Portland, ME is way up there....but that's not it.   And the overall seafood in Nova Scotia and PEI is better than Maine btw.  :)

But to your points yes, some people prefer certain cuisines or are allergic to seafood. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #654 on: April 04, 2021, 01:20:52 PM »

I’m still trying to figure out which countries have under 100,000 people. Vatican City? But not known for restaurants.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #655 on: April 04, 2021, 01:23:39 PM »
I’m still trying to figure out which countries have under 100,000 people. Vatican City? But not known for restaurants.

Monaco, no brainer

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #656 on: April 04, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
I have to say, one of the best meals I’ve EVER had was at Emerils. But 4 of us got out of there for about  $750-$800. That was in 2000.

Coincidentally, the last time we did this it was at Emeril’s in New Orleans. It was outstanding. He had a very reasonably priced prix fixe lunch menu. It was only like $30 each. It was a lot of fun and the kids really enjoyed it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #657 on: April 04, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
To be honest, we don't go out to eat much on the Strip.  I don't think we have been there at all since we got here in January.  There are a lot of great options off-strip and you aren't paying tourist prices.  But I understand  wanting to go there if it's only 24 hours.

What type of food are you interested in (steak, italian,etc.)?  What hotel are you staying at?

Yeah, I’m really struggling with the huge premium that we’ll pay if we eat on the strip. We may venture out, but it’s probably not likely. We’re staying at Paris. My daughters really wanted to and the rooms were very reasonable. I know there are a lot of better places — a lot — but it should be good. It’s certainly very centrally located. We’re just planning on mostly walking around, shopping, people watching and very little gambling. So, with so little time, I’m reluctant to leave the strip.

We like pretty much anything with the possible exception of fancy French-type with all the foam and stuff like that. Other than that, though, pretty much anything goes. And it doesn’t have to be too fancy. If there’s a great burger or pizza place, that’s cool too.

Thanks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #658 on: April 04, 2021, 02:08:42 PM »
Monaco, no brainer

I'm talking in the USA.  Yes, Monoco would be way up there worldwide.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #659 on: April 04, 2021, 02:09:03 PM »
Warriorchick is right.  The best restaurants are off the strip.  There are several good Steakhouses, Mexican, Japanese, and Bulgarian places.  The place I would recommend would be Marrakesh if you like Morrocan/Mediterranean cuisine.  It's not too far from the strip.

That is intriguing. I’ll look it up. Thank you. We love trying different types of places and food.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #660 on: April 04, 2021, 02:14:15 PM »
That is intriguing. I%u2019ll look it up. Thank you. We love trying different types of places and food.

That place was excellent and a really good value.  Very close to the strip, like a 5 min uber/cab.  They do a 6 course price-fixe for like $50.  They also have a number of Bulgarian restaurants that aren't extraordinary or flashy but kind of interesting.  Good beer and often live music....at least they did before covid.

marrakechvegas.com

bgbistro.com
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 02:19:22 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #661 on: April 04, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
Yeah, I’m really struggling with the huge premium that we’ll pay if we eat on the strip. We may venture out, but it’s probably not likely. We’re staying at Paris. My daughters really wanted to and the rooms were very reasonable. I know there are a lot of better places — a lot — but it should be good. It’s certainly very centrally located. We’re just planning on mostly walking around, shopping, people watching and very little gambling. So, with so little time, I’m reluctant to leave the strip.

Honestly, you’ll enjoy it.  Paris is among the newer of those mid strip hotels, besides the City Center set with Cosmo/Aria/etc.  And while it’s a bit “dated” compared to some of the glitzier names, the old school French/Parisian style and decor of the hotel and the rooms helps.  The location on the Strip is fantastic.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #662 on: April 04, 2021, 03:28:44 PM »

We like pretty much anything with the possible exception of fancy French-type with all the foam and stuff like that. Other than that, though, pretty much anything goes. And it doesn’t have to be too fancy. If there’s a great burger or pizza place, that’s cool too.

Thanks.

I actually like Mon Ami Gabi at Paris.  Yes, it's a Melman restaurant, but the food is decent and reasonably priced.  If you can get a table that has views of the Bellagio fountain (indoors or outdoors), it's totally worth it.

A few off-strip suggestions:

For an old-school Vegas steak experience, I like Herbs and Rye.  Classic cocktails, red naugahyde booths, good food.  And during happy hour, the steaks are half-price.

http://www.herbsandrye.com/

My favorite Italian place for the price is Capo's.  It's got an old-school mobster vibe.  You enter the restaurant through a secret door.  They usually have live piano music with a guy singing Sinatra songs.  Your party is big enough that you may be able to score the VIP table, which is on a raised platform in a corner  (but with a clear view of the front door, natch).

http://www.caposrestaurant.com/specials.html

My favorite farm-to-table place is a place called Honey Salt.  Not super fancy, but the food is great.

https://www.honeysalt.com/

All these places are 5-15 minutes from the strip.  Wherever you go, be sure to get a reservation, especially if you want to request the special seating. 
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #663 on: April 04, 2021, 03:36:35 PM »
Best Mexican in town and actually quite close by car/Uber from Paris.

http://www.bonitomichoacan.com/

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #664 on: April 04, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »

I was just poking fun at the way the question was written.  ;D City in a country with less than 100k.

And D’oh, of course Monaco. Steph would be so disappointed I forgot her country.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #665 on: April 04, 2021, 04:16:36 PM »
I was just poking fun at the way the question was written.  ;D City in a country with less than 100k.

And D%u2019oh, of course Monaco. Steph would be so disappointed I forgot her country.

I would think Bernuda could be up there? 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #666 on: April 04, 2021, 06:14:11 PM »

Naperville?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #667 on: April 04, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »

Whitefish, Montana, or maybe Aspen?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #668 on: April 04, 2021, 07:12:56 PM »

Whitefish, Montana, or maybe Aspen?

Aspen is the best guess yet.  I am just stunned Goooo no one has gotten it.  I can't even give a hint, it would give it away. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #669 on: April 04, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »
Aspen is the best guess yet.  I am just stunned Goooo no one has gotten it.  I can't even give a hint, it would give it away.

Franklin TN or Decatur GA?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »
Franklin TN or Decatur GA?

Nope.  These are the only mini hints I can give:

It is not a suburb of a major city.

It's conceivable people think it's larger than 100K.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »
Are you implying Charleston is less than 100K?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »
Are you implying Charleston is less than 100K?

No, but that's a great guess and a fabulous food city. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2021, 08:06:53 PM »

Rochester?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #674 on: April 04, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »
Rochester?

Nope.

It appears you all are really struggling. 

I guess I will just give it away.

Per capita there are an enormous amount of artists and restaurants.

So people vacation in the area.  It's popular enough to have Four Seasons type resorts.