collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199405 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #575 on: April 07, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
Fascinating how competitors handle the same situation so differently.  AirBNB has been fairly good, giving blanket refunds.  They had left certain date ranges up to the owner/renter (obviously most were not giving unless forced to), but then went over the top and made it right.  My buddy's bachelor party was supposed to be this upcoming weekend in Denver, the renter was initially annoying about it, but AirBNB broadened the date ranges and it was all good.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who had a VRBO rental in Austin for SXSW, basically got told "too bad so sad" and is out a bunch.

I am pretty sure refund policies are driven by the property owners themselves and not AirBnB vs. VRBO.

Just like cleaning fees, deposit requirements, etc.
Have some patience, FFS.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #576 on: April 07, 2020, 08:24:20 PM »
I am pretty sure refund policies are driven by the property owners themselves and not AirBnB vs. VRBO.

Just like cleaning fees, deposit requirements, etc.

AirBNB has pivoted to covering more changes during this - for good reason.

Good to hear about VRBO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:04:57 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #577 on: April 07, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
We canceled our apartment in Rome through Air BNB with 2 clicks.  This was just as Northern Italy was getting bad, Rome was still unaffected and there were no travel restrictions to Rome in place.

Good to know that VBRO isn't as customer friendly.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #578 on: April 08, 2020, 04:21:14 AM »
Swissair wouldn't do a thing for me for an april trip.  Wouldn't even  respond to phone, email, twitter, etc.  So I went on to the Chase website for the card I used to purchase the tix, selected the option for service not received, and was refunded the money within minutes. 
Swiss - 100
Chase +1000
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #579 on: April 08, 2020, 10:02:16 AM »
Yep.  You never cancel trips until you do.  It's something you don't plan.  That's why it is called insurance.

:)

To be clear, though, travel insurance offered by the airlines/travel booking websites are almost uniformly a horrible deal and require submitting to Kaftka-esque claims processes.

If you’re going to do it, go with vetted independent vendors. Berkshire Hathaway is solid and transparent, and I’ve heard Allianz and Amex Assurance are good too. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #580 on: April 08, 2020, 11:05:14 AM »
You definitely want to read the fine print. Before the companies started offering refunds, many of the trip insurances  people purchased were deemed ineligible, as they themselves weren't sick.
Be aware of what is and what isn't covered and the reasons to be able to claim for a cancelled trip. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #581 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:38 AM »
To be clear, though, travel insurance offered by the airlines/travel booking websites are almost uniformly a horrible deal and require submitting to Kaftka-esque claims processes.

If you’re going to do it, go with vetted independent vendors. Berkshire Hathaway is solid and transparent, and I’ve heard Allianz and Amex Assurance are good too.

Agreed.
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #582 on: April 09, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »
Cancelled our Florida trip on March 16th, currently hold vouchers that are good for 90 days. That puts us in the middle of June to book a flight, chances that Frontier has to revisit this?

DOT warns airlines to issue refunds instead of vouchers for flights cancelled due to coronavirus

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/dot-warns-airlines-issue-refunds-instead-vouchers/

Maybe you want to try and ask for a refund. Cite the DOT directive.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #583 on: April 09, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »
DOT warns airlines to issue refunds instead of vouchers for flights cancelled due to coronavirus

https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/dot-warns-airlines-issue-refunds-instead-vouchers/

Maybe you want to try and ask for a refund. Cite the DOT directive.

Yeeeeessssssss. Thanks man.

I’ll probably wait another month anyway, if they will guarantee the voucher longer than 90 days I’m cool. Let’s get the world figured out before making people’s vouchers expire.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:14:51 PM by Retire0 »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #584 on: July 24, 2020, 08:42:49 AM »
https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1286618600091131904?s=19

737 problems possibly linked to inactivity.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
Green Lake the second weekend in September, any recommendations for food?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
Green Lake the second weekend in September, any recommendations for food?

Norton's.  Its on the water, generally good food.  Otherwise the Southwest terrace has Riley's... which was Linda's Tap from back in the day.  Decent food as well.

If you hate yourself enough, you can always check out the Gooseblind or Adam's Rib.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2020, 04:35:33 PM »
Norton's.  Its on the water, generally good food.  Otherwise the Southwest terrace has Riley's... which was Linda's Tap from back in the day.  Decent food as well.

If you hate yourself enough, you can always check out the Gooseblind or Adam's Rib.

Definition of hating myself? Because, uh, yeah.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

Norton's has changed hands within the past few years and is now horribly overpriced.

If you want decent pub food, go to Reilly's
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #589 on: August 17, 2020, 09:36:38 AM »
Definition of hating myself? Because, uh, yeah.

Old school townie dive.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #590 on: August 17, 2020, 12:11:20 PM »
Old school townie dive.

Yeah, I don't want COVID. Just need some food after golf.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
Denver recommendations? All that's planned is my 30th at El Five, beyond that I'm looking for breweries, good food, bars, hikes, maybe a spot with music.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2021, 04:39:56 PM »
Denver recommendations? All that's planned is my 30th at El Five, beyond that I'm looking for breweries, good food, bars, hikes, maybe a spot with music.

A few years ago I went to a wedding there and stayed at the Brown Palace.  I think the hip bars are in LOdi and Cherry Creek.  The Brown P had an awesome bar with live music and Chimay Red on draft.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #593 on: March 24, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
A few years ago I went to a wedding there and stayed at the Brown Palace.  I think the hip bars are in LOdi and Cherry Creek.  The Brown P had an awesome bar with live music and Chimay Red on draft.

Nice, thanks for the heads up! Any chance you remember any spots with good patios/beer gardens?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU11W

• Walk-On
« Reply #594 on: March 24, 2021, 10:29:55 AM »
I was in Denver summer of 2019 and enjoyed a few breweries that had solid outdoor patios. I believe two of them were in the River North Arts District or very nearby: Our Mutual Friend & Ratio Beerworks.  The other was over by the Denver Zoo and Botanic Gardens - Cerebral Brewing.  All three had great beers

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #595 on: March 24, 2021, 01:52:20 PM »

Where you staying, how much/far do you want to drive? 

Hikes will all be a pretty good drive.  Best bet close-ish is head up to Chautauqua park in boulder.  Very scenic and lots of hike options.  The Table Mountain area around Golden also has some decent hikes.  Father travel into the mtns will get you better hikes.

El Five is fun.  Unless you're opposed to going out for steak, Guard & Grace is one of my favorite steakhouses.  The food scene is really pretty good these days - and don't miss some of the great food trucks.

Not breweries, but staying downtown....Falling Rock Tap House always has a great beer selection, not view.  After you've had one or two there, head across the street to Tap Fourteen's rooftop patio for some still decent beers, and good views.  In the same area Rino Beer Garden is actually pretty fun.  If you want a dive bar with GREAT beers, try Star Bar - it will surprise you!

Not sure when you're going, but if the Rockies have a home game at the time and if they are allowing fans, get some "Rooftop" tickets to drink, catch the views, and maybe see a game if you like.

If you do go up to Boulder to hike, head a little farther north up to Avery Brewing for an apre-hike beer - they keep a ton of taps of their hard to find and not-distributed stuff flowing.  They built a big new complex a few years ago, but it's a cool environment.

Tons of breweries otherwise.  You'd be hard pressed not to stumble into a few.  If you have any in mind that you've mapped out, and want any of my opinions feel free to throw them out here. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #596 on: March 24, 2021, 02:05:17 PM »

Hikes will all be a pretty good drive.  Best bet close-ish is head up to Chautauqua park in boulder.  Very scenic and lots of hike options.  The Table Mountain area around Golden also has some decent hikes.  Father travel into the mtns will get you better hikes.

El Five is fun.  Unless you're opposed to going out for steak, Guard & Grace is one of my favorite steakhouses.  The food scene is really pretty good these days - and don't miss some of the great food trucks.

Not breweries, but staying downtown....Falling Rock Tap House always has a great beer selection, not view.  After you've had one or two there, head across the street to Tap Fourteen's rooftop patio for some still decent beers, and good views.  In the same area Rino Beer Garden is actually pretty fun.  If you want a dive bar with GREAT beers, try Star Bar - it will surprise you!

Not sure when you're going, but if the Rockies have a home game at the time and if they are allowing fans, get some "Rooftop" tickets to drink, catch the views, and maybe see a game if you like.

If you do go up to Boulder to hike, head a little farther north up to Avery Brewing for an apre-hike beer - they keep a ton of taps of their hard to find and not-distributed stuff flowing.  They built a big new complex a few years ago, but it's a cool environment.

Tons of breweries otherwise.  You'd be hard pressed not to stumble into a few.  If you have any in mind that you've mapped out, and want any of my opinions feel free to throw them out here.

Staying at the Hilton on 14th & Welton.

My cousin just moved there and I know we're driving to Outer Range Brewery in Frisco (no idea if that's near by?) but I don't really want to drive more than 30min for a hike or anything.

Usually I'd be all about steak but I did a Costco run and have pretty much lived off steak for the past month. But I'll take that recommendation for next time!

Thanks for the rooftop recommendations definitely will check those out!

Here's my Brewery list so far that Beer Advocate people recommended: 

TRVE
Cerebral
New Image
River North
dry Dock
O'dell
Comrade

While I trust their beer recommendations I'd prefer a solid atmosphere to. Ideally with a beer garden since my cousin and his GF aren't vaccinated yet.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #597 on: March 24, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »

This. Falling Rock has Pliney the Elder as well as a ton of other beers. The bar in the train station is fun.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #598 on: March 24, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »
Whoa -

Outer Range is at least a 2:30 round trip from Denver (more like 3hr).    Nice place - but at that point you're 15 min from Breckenridge and might as well get some skiing in!  But on your way up (or down) stop by Westbound & Down in Idaho Springs.

I'll precede this with - I haven't been to any of these places since sometime in early 2020 (likely earlier) so can't speak to covid protocols seating (other than what I quickly find on the internet):

TRVE - their beers don't really interest me, but the heavy metal vibe is interesting.  Never been there for outside seating.
Cerebral - Like their beer, cool place, I know they've set up tents / can use their parking lot.
New Image - Like their beer - they have setup outdoor seating
River North - Good beer, haven't been since they were forced out and moved into new locations, but if you stop by consider the other places below.
Dry Dock - meh
Odell - meh
Comrade - Good beer, not sure they have anything outdoor

Near River North / RiNo Beer garden / ODell (I don't think there's an apostrophe) (walking distance):
Black Shirt brewing - good beer, outdoor patio (across from Rino Beer Garden)
Epic Brewing - interesting selection, outdoor seating (I think)
Out Mutual Friend - some patio seating
Ratio Brewing - courtyard

Some others I'd throw on the list (for vibe/seating):
Joyride  - Some good beer, amazing rooftop patio
--- further north - just hitting your 30 min rule:
Odd13 - One of my personal beer favorites (a little north, in Lafayette)  but patio seating
Cellar West - if you make it to Lafayette, a few blocks away, cool farmhouse ales

But your best bet for easy waling / lots of breweries is to stay in the RiNo area.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:26:53 PM by rocky_warrior »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2021, 03:26:47 PM »
Whoa -

Outer Range is at least a 2:30 round trip from Denver (more like 3hr).    Nice place - but at that point you're 15 min from Breckenridge and might as well get some skiing in!  But on your way up (or down) stop by Westbound & Down in Idaho Springs.

I'll precede this with - I haven't been to any of these places since sometime in early 2020 (likely earlier) so can't speak to covid protocols seating (other than what I quickly find on the internet):

TRVE - their beers don't really interest me, but the heavy metal vibe is interesting.  Never been there for outside seating.
Cerebral - Like their beer, cool place, I know they've set up tents / can use their parking lot.
New Image - Like their beer - they have setup outdoor seating
River North - Good beer, haven't been since they were forced out and moved into new locations, but if you stop by consider the other places below.
Dry Dock - meh
Odell - meh
Comrade - Good beer, not sure they have anything outdoor

Near River North / RiNo Beer garden / ODell (I don't think there's an apostrophe) (walking distance):
Black Shirt brewing - good beer, outdoor patio (across from Rino Beer Garden)
Epic Brewing - interesting selection, outdoor seating (I think)
Out Mutual Friend - some patio seating
Ratio Brewing - courtyard

Some others I'd throw on the list (for vibe/seating):
Joyride  - Some good beer, amazing rooftop patio
--- further north
Odd13 - One of my personal beer favorites (a little north, in Lafayette)  but patio seating
Cellar West - if you make it to Lafayette, a few blocks away, cool farmhouse ales

But your best bet for easy waling / lots of breweries is to stay in the RiNo area.

Wow I did not realize it was that far. Well he's determined to go so I guess I'll just get a nice afternoon nap in while he drives.

Thanks for the recommendations! Any local dive food joints you'd recommend? I know green chili is a staple but anything else?
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback