[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198041 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #550 on: March 23, 2020, 09:11:43 PM »
There is a middle ground between nationalizing airline(s) and status quo...regulation, which is what we had for most of the 20th century.

Brother Coleman:

The Civil Aeronautics Board ("CAB") had degenerated into a club of airline executives that was anti-consumer, anti-growth. The regulation of the airline industry was predicated on technology and service that was well-surpassed by the 1960s. It was put down in 1978 by Congress and Jimmy Carter in a landmark piece of domestic legislation.

It's an example of what happens when government sets all the rules and controls everything. Since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978, air travel is nearly universal, far less expensive and service much better than anyone would have imagined before 1978. Sure, we all like to think of wide leather seats, wonderful hostesses and food on board that existed before deregulation. The reality was that the airlines were a very few times in a lifetime experience for most.

Killing the CAB and deregulated the airline industry was a huge gift from President Carter to the nation.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:16 AM »
We've talked on here about the airline bailouts, and I previously had brought up that I think that this pandemic will have to be a turning point in the airline industry. I was just reading an article on how sports/entertainment venues are going to have to drastically change (no more buffets, redesign of bathrooms, no more stainless steel at concession areas, no more open condiments).

Once things return to whatever the new normal is, will anyone ever want to sit in a middle seat? Not that anyone ever wants to sit in a middle seat, but with social distancing becoming more the norm, people having to share armrests, I can't imagine a good scenario coming up here if airlines stay "business as usual". Travelling a lot for work, I could easily foresee scenarios on planes soon where if someone coughs/sneezes, the people sitting next to that person asking (loudly) to switch seats. It's going to be a tense experience to say the least.

To be clear, I don't think the airlines will do anything like rip out rows of seats and drastically change their business models. I also think as a result of that line of thinking, in the next 24 months, you'll see at least one of Delta/American/United collapse.

Companies are going to get used to Zoom/WebEx/Teams virtual meetings, discretionary income is going to fall dramatically for families, and if the airlines think people are going to want to be crammed like sardines going forward in a world where space and cleanliness are the new norm, it's going to be a rough go for the airlines.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »
We've talked on here about the airline bailouts, and I previously had brought up that I think that this pandemic will have to be a turning point in the airline industry. I was just reading an article on how sports/entertainment venues are going to have to drastically change (no more buffets, redesign of bathrooms, no more stainless steel at concession areas, no more open condiments).

Once things return to whatever the new normal is, will anyone ever want to sit in a middle seat? Not that anyone ever wants to sit in a middle seat, but with social distancing becoming more the norm, people having to share armrests, I can't imagine a good scenario coming up here if airlines stay "business as usual". Travelling a lot for work, I could easily foresee scenarios on planes soon where if someone coughs/sneezes, the people sitting next to that person asking (loudly) to switch seats. It's going to be a tense experience to say the least.

To be clear, I don't think the airlines will do anything like rip out rows of seats and drastically change their business models. I also think as a result of that line of thinking, in the next 24 months, you'll see at least one of Delta/American/United collapse.

Companies are going to get used to Zoom/WebEx/Teams virtual meetings, discretionary income is going to fall dramatically for families, and if the airlines think people are going to want to be crammed like sardines going forward in a world where space and cleanliness are the new norm, it's going to be a rough go for the airlines.

I struggle to see how this brings about a complete and utter change in some of those things across the board, especially long term. I'm not trying to say this is just like the flu, but once they have a vaccine and treatments for this, it will largely get treated like influenza and people will move on with their lives.  People aren't going to be terrified to be in close spaces or middle seats or communal food come, say, 2022.  No more than they do with cold and flu season now.  Especially if these measures are successful and the total deaths in the US stay in the mid 5, maybe low 6 figures.

The work from home piece is interesting, as it will likely display the capacity for that sort of set up in more and more industries and roles.

But I believe that this will largely be looked back on as a surreal period of time that lead to changes in pandemic approach and response, hopefully the curbing of wet markets, and hastening more developments in how we work and approach office life, but wont bring sea change in public transit, airline protocol, or public dining.  IMO
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:18:21 PM by JWags85 »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but at some point a fax, text message, video conference etc., can never make-up for personal contact and personal meetings. I know we're most successful when we're face to face with our clients talking about what we do and about their problems.

This says it all. Change fax and phone call to email and textmessage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6Id-7SdRQ

🏀

• All American
« Reply #554 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:41 PM »
Fax huh?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #555 on: March 28, 2020, 06:56:01 AM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but at some point a fax, text message, video conference etc., can never make-up for personal contact and personal meetings. I know we're most successful when we're face to face with our clients talking about what we do and about their problems.

This says it all. Change fax and phone call to email and textmessage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6Id-7SdRQ

My company has pushed me for more face-to-face time with customers and suppliers which I've been doing the last 6 months.  The market intelligence I've gathered in these meetings I would never have gotten anywhere close to getting via emai or other means.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 28, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #557 on: March 28, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
And yet I have business dealings with large companies that still insist on using fax even after I practically beg them to use email.  Optum is one. 
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2020, 04:36:47 PM »
And yet I have business dealings with large companies that still insist on using fax even after I practically beg them to use email.  Optum is one.

We disconnected our fax machine.

I heard people still use for security reasons because fax machines are not hackable.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2020, 04:37:51 PM »

We ask people to use fax if they are sending over PII.  Still trying to get my IT department to get us a secure dropbox for electronic documents.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 28, 2020, 05:16:49 PM »
We disconnected our fax machine.

I heard people still use for security reasons because fax machines are not hackable.
Insist on getting wire instructions by fax rather than e-mail for this very reason.  Too many e-mail accounts have gotten hacked and wire instructions changed, causing people to lose their life savings. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #561 on: April 05, 2020, 11:45:26 PM »
United (following Delta’s lead) announces just now they will extend current status through Jan 2022.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2020, 06:30:09 AM »
Cancelled our Florida trip on March 16th, currently hold vouchers that are good for 90 days. That puts us in the middle of June to book a flight, chances that Frontier has to revisit this?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #563 on: April 06, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
United (following Delta’s lead) announces just now they will extend current status through Jan 2022.

First good news Ive gotten on the travel front in a LONG time.  And the lowered thresholds for re-qualifying is fantastic.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #564 on: April 06, 2020, 09:44:04 AM »
Cancelled our Florida trip on March 16th, currently hold vouchers that are good for 90 days. That puts us in the middle of June to book a flight, chances that Frontier has to revisit this?

99.9%. My concern would be that Frontier will no longer exist and my money is gone.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #565 on: April 06, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »
99.9%. My concern would be that Frontier will no longer exist and my money is gone.

Yeah, that's actually my gut feeling.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #566 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »

Then call your credit card and say you never got the service.

As a Floridian, would rather have you come in June, but I'll acknowledge what you get then may not be worthy of the effort you make.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #567 on: April 06, 2020, 01:10:27 PM »

Yep.  Depending on the CC/bank, they can be pretty good with travel related reimbursement.  Last summer, my GF and I went to Greece, specifically Crete.  Huge island so naturally needed a rental car.  Found a great rate through Kayak, got all the "documentation" needed.  Arrived at the rental agency at 11PM after plenty of flight delays from Mykonos...cause Greece.  Had to walk a KM cause we couldn't find their van.  Get there, they inform me that they won't give me a car cause I don't have an International Drivers License.  "Firm Greek law, no exceptions, you will go to jail, and so will we".  I knew this wasn't true as I had rented on Corfu a few summers back without IDL and without issue.  They wouldn't refund and said I needed to contact the 3rd party provider. 

Contacted Holiday Autos, or whatever it was, they informed me it was CLEARLY stated.  I looked through their emails, their forms, the website.  Nothing was listed other than passport, CC, travel itinerary, etc...  I was told it was in the rental agreement...on the last page in tiny print on a final paragraph.  As a result, it was my fault, they would not refund a dime.  And better yet, they curtly told me "you received a lesson and some knowledge so you won't make this mistake again!"

I logged into my Sapphire account on Chase, submitted a claim and that I never received services.  It was removed and cleared less than 3 days later without even a followup email or phone call.

Oh, and after we left the agency, a nice British couple who heard our plight in the office drove us back to airport.  We walked over to Hertz...and rented a car without a single issue, got an upgrade, and when I asked about the IDL the woman assisting us looked right at me and bluntly said "no, why would you?".  Lesson learned  8-)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #568 on: April 06, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
Yep.  Depending on the CC/bank, they can be pretty good with travel related reimbursement.  Last summer, my GF and I went to Greece, specifically Crete.  Huge island so naturally needed a rental car.  Found a great rate through Kayak, got all the "documentation" needed.  Arrived at the rental agency at 11PM after plenty of flight delays from Mykonos...cause Greece.  Had to walk a KM cause we couldn't find their van.  Get there, they inform me that they won't give me a car cause I don't have an International Drivers License.  "Firm Greek law, no exceptions, you will go to jail, and so will we".  I knew this wasn't true as I had rented on Corfu a few summers back without IDL and without issue.  They wouldn't refund and said I needed to contact the 3rd party provider. 

Contacted Holiday Autos, or whatever it was, they informed me it was CLEARLY stated.  I looked through their emails, their forms, the website.  Nothing was listed other than passport, CC, travel itinerary, etc...  I was told it was in the rental agreement...on the last page in tiny print on a final paragraph.  As a result, it was my fault, they would not refund a dime.  And better yet, they curtly told me "you received a lesson and some knowledge so you won't make this mistake again!"

I logged into my Sapphire account on Chase, submitted a claim and that I never received services.  It was removed and cleared less than 3 days later without even a followup email or phone call.

Oh, and after we left the agency, a nice British couple who heard our plight in the office drove us back to airport.  We walked over to Hertz...and rented a car without a single issue, got an upgrade, and when I asked about the IDL the woman assisting us looked right at me and bluntly said "no, why would you?".  Lesson learned  8-)

A IDL at AAA is just $20.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #569 on: April 06, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »
A IDL at AAA is just $20.

Not a AAA member, but understood.  That would have done nothing for me at the time, and again, driven and rented in half a dozen European countries, including the epicenter of bureaucracy, Belgium, and this was the only issue Id had.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #570 on: April 07, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »

As a Floridian, would rather have you come in June, but I'll acknowledge what you get then may not be worthy of the effort you make.

I have never filed a claim with my credit card company, but thinking about it for our entire vacation now.

What’s the downside?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #571 on: April 07, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
I have never filed a claim with my credit card company, but thinking about it for our entire vacation now.

What’s the downside?

You literally have nothing to lose by calling.  The worst thing they can do is deny your request. 

Also, for next time, I recommend trip insurance.  It's worth the money for peace of mind alone.   We had it on the big trip that got cancelled.  Fortunately, all of our vendors refunded our money (even Hotwire, which is supposed to be strictly non-refundable), and our trip insurance company even refunded our premium without even us having to ask.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:17:21 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #572 on: April 07, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
You literally have nothing to lose by calling.  The worst thing they can do is deny your request. 

Also, for next time, I recommend trip insurance.  It's worth the money for peace of mind alone.   We had it on the big trip that got cancelled.  Fortunately, all of our vendors refunded our money (even Hotwire, which is supposed to be strictly non-refundable), and our trip insurance company even refunded our premium without even us having to ask.

It’s a usual pass for me on the insurance, we never cancel trips. But yeah...

We’ve got vouchers for everything. Car is good for two years, so I won’t dispute that.

Frontier flights from MKE to RSW are seasonal. I’ve got until June to book a flight that probably will not happen until March 2021 and there’s no clue what the 20-21 academic schedule will be.

Our rental through VRBO is a voucher, totally dependent on rebooking the same house. The house has been completely wiped from all the rental sites.

Screw it, filing claims tonight.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #573 on: April 07, 2020, 05:22:07 PM »
It’s a usual pass for me on the insurance, we never cancel trips. But yeah...

Yep.  You never cancel trips until you do.  It's something you don't plan.  That's why it is called insurance.

:)
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #574 on: April 07, 2020, 06:05:36 PM »
Our rental through VRBO is a voucher, totally dependent on rebooking the same house. The house has been completely wiped from all the rental sites.

Fascinating how competitors handle the same situation so differently.  AirBNB has been fairly good, giving blanket refunds.  They had left certain date ranges up to the owner/renter (obviously most were not giving unless forced to), but then went over the top and made it right.  My buddy's bachelor party was supposed to be this upcoming weekend in Denver, the renter was initially annoying about it, but AirBNB broadened the date ranges and it was all good.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who had a VRBO rental in Austin for SXSW, basically got told "too bad so sad" and is out a bunch.

feedback