[Today at 09:05:48 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 199549 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2020, 03:33:46 PM »
Maybe there's a deeper problem than the airlines?

There is on many levels.  I'm not going to "go political" here, but this stuff starting with the NBA and the conference tournaments cancelling was LESS THAN A WEEK AGO!  The fact that the economy can apparently be brought to its knees enough, people are getting laid off, corporations needing bailouts, Congress considering doling out over a trillion $$$ in stimulus, etc. shows there are huge problems in the economy / society to begin with.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #502 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
Also, bailout ideas:

Cuban often acts like a jagoff, but he also seems to have some fundamental sense of fairness.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #503 on: March 17, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »
Because the stock market punishes them when they carry large reserves, and everyone knows they'll get bailed out anyway.

Maybe as a condition of any loan or grant they would have to commit to a certain level of cash?

Ah, you're suggesting regulation.  If these companies can't be trusted to do the right thing, we have no other choice.   Unless we nationalize it... which would be wildly unpopular.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:53 PM »

There is on many levels.  I'm not going to "go political" here, but this stuff starting with the NBA and the conference tournaments cancelling was LESS THAN A WEEK AGO!  The fact that the economy can apparently be brought to its knees enough, people are getting laid off, corporations needing bailouts, Congress considering doling out over a trillion $$$ in stimulus, etc. shows there are huge problems in the economy / society to begin with.

The problem is that we all want a market economy when things are going well, but then don't want to deal with the consequences of a downturn.

The human race is extremely reactive.  We've designed our government this way as well.  We don't do long term projects because they don't win votes, and we are short term focused.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 17, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Privatize profits, socialize losses

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #506 on: March 17, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »

Right.  And this is exactly what happened in 2008 - and here we go again 12 years later.  At some point society should demand certain safeguards so we don't have to do this again in 2032.  I'm not smart enough to know what that is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #507 on: March 17, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »

Cuban often acts like a jagoff, but he also seems to have some fundamental sense of fairness.

He's cocky and arrogant in some ways, but I think he honestly retains a pretty decent level of self awareness and perspective due to the myriad of stuff he's involved in.  My sister's BF has interacted with him a decent amount through golf related networking stuff in the Dallas area and said he's pretty much "what you see is what you get" and pretty likable.  And thats from someone who has had interactions with ALOT of rich douchebags.

I used to read Cuban's blog a lot and appreciate his perspective cause he has the success across a variety of business endeavors to justify his expertise and he comes off pretty reasonable and wide perspective based.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #508 on: March 17, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »

Yep. I’m a bit in the “screw em” camp, especially after quotes like Doug Parker’s below.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/09/28/american-airlines-ceo-well-never-lose-money-again/715467001/

Never lose money again, huh? Maybe take it easy on profit sharing and stock buybacks as not to stick it to the taxpayer when a global pandemic hits. I get that the industry is effectively a utility and critical commercial engine for the country, but it seems like airline leadership has us in a “heads I win, tails you lose” scenario.

More aggravating are proposed bailouts for the cruise industry — these organizations do absolutely everything to avoid paying taxes, paying decent salaries to American citizens, etc. and they want a government bailout? Let it burn...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #509 on: March 17, 2020, 04:07:05 PM »
Yep. I’m a bit in the “screw em” camp, especially after quotes like Doug Parker’s below.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/09/28/american-airlines-ceo-well-never-lose-money-again/715467001/

Never lose money again, huh? Maybe take it easy on profit sharing and stock buybacks as not to stick it to the taxpayer when a global pandemic hits. I get that the industry is effectively a utility and critical commercial engine for the country, but it seems like airline leadership has us in a “heads I win, tails you lose” scenario.

More aggravating are proposed bailouts for the cruise industry — these organizations do absolutely everything to avoid paying taxes, paying decent salaries to American citizens, etc. and they want a government bailout? Let it burn...

Let the flag countries bail out the ships under their registry.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 17, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »

Right.  And this is exactly what happened in 2008 - and here we go again 12 years later.  At some point society should demand certain safeguards so we don't have to do this again in 2032.  I'm not smart enough to know what that is.

Understanding that the immediate bailouts only significantly helped the wealthy after 2008, worse yet is to look at the difference in benefit long-term between the wealthy and the rest of us.

But here we are.

And we keep voting for it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #511 on: March 17, 2020, 04:54:14 PM »

It wasn't that strong. Construction & Manufacturing were both down or at best flat when you look at jobs numbers. Since construction is usually the leading indicator and that was down it was only a matter of time. The only sector that was growing was the service industry. And when something comes that cripples that sector you're in for a world of suck.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #512 on: March 17, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
Let the flag countries bail out the ships under their registry.

HA! YES!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
It wasn't that strong. Construction & Manufacturing were both down or at best flat when you look at jobs numbers. Since construction is usually the leading indicator and that was down it was only a matter of time. The only sector that was growing was the service industry. And when something comes that cripples that sector you're in for a world of suck.

I've been talking with a lot of manufacturers and the consensus is manufacturing started to slow / became flat around May 2019.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #514 on: March 18, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
South east Asia and Nola got pushed back a year 😭
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 18, 2020, 10:18:03 AM »
South east Asia and Nola got pushed back a year 😭

Cancelled my LA trip as well. we have a couple other ones planned for late May and July. Everything is kind of up in the air at the moment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 18, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
I have a HUGE trade show in HK that is typically the last week in Feb into first week in March.  It was delayed till May.  Not sure if that will hold.  The second largest such show in my industry, the largest for the US market, is in Vegas in early June.  I just was notified last night that its been postponed without a new date yet.

I fly an average of 120K miles a year.  I average 2 trips to India, 2-3 to Europe, and 2-3 to SE Asia a year.  Thus far in 2020, Ive travelled 6K miles and don't anticipate leaving the country till at least May at this point.  Its WILD to be honest.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #517 on: March 18, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
My trade show in Germany that was supposed to be two weeks from now was rescheduled to Dec 7-11.
A trade show in mid-May in Boston I planned to attend was moved to late September.
A trade show in Milwaukee also in Mid-May has been postponed to a date sometime in the fall that is TBD.

I was planning another trip to India either in late April or mid-June but not sure when now?  Mid-June is still possible I suppose.
I had a Southern California trip and two more Midwest trips that I need to make but are all TBD at his point.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #518 on: March 18, 2020, 05:23:08 PM »
If an airline takes a dime of bailout money, they should be prohibited from ever charging a seat fee, bag fee, check-in fee, printed ticket fee, or any other bullsht fee for the rest of their existence. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:10 PM »
If an airline takes a dime of bailout money, they should be prohibited from ever charging a seat fee, bag fee, check-in fee, printed ticket fee, or any other bullsht fee for the rest of their existence.
And better snacks. Any flight over 2 hours should be a meal! Better magazines!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #520 on: March 21, 2020, 06:22:51 PM »
Ah, you're suggesting regulation.  If these companies can't be trusted to do the right thing, we have no other choice.   Unless we nationalize it... which would be wildly unpopular.

Federal Air... I can hardly wait!

As bad as air travel can be today, just imagine what would happen with Federal Air.

In case you think I'm full of it, just look at Amtrak. That one has been screwed up beyond hope. All because the government has dictated everything about what it can and can't do.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #521 on: March 21, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »
Federal Air... I can hardly wait!

As bad as air travel can be today, just imagine what would happen with Federal Air.

In case you think I'm full of it, just look at Amtrak. That one has been screwed up beyond hope. All because the government has dictated everything about what it can and can't do.

I mean, the problems are not all Amtrak's fault.  Its bad rail, on bad tracks, and its pricey.  Its Amtrak or nothing.  But that is because no one else can be competitive on rail. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 21, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
Not sure anyone really cares, but my parents cruise in SA has been routed from Valparaiso, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal.  Basically, they are back to their original itinerary without any of the stops.  No one on the ship appears sick.  Plan is to arrive 4/1.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:18 AM »
Not sure anyone really cares, but my parents cruise in SA has been routed from Valparaiso, Chile to Ft. Lauderdale via the Panama Canal.  Basically, they are back to their original itinerary without any of the stops.  No one on the ship appears sick.  Plan is to arrive 4/1.

All things considered, not a bad way to spend a lockdown. Hope they are in good spirits

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »
I mean, the problems are not all Amtrak's fault.  Its bad rail, on bad tracks, and its pricey.  Its Amtrak or nothing.  But that is because no one else can be competitive on rail.

Other than the price, Amtrak is actually pretty good here in the Northeast.

Wether good or bad I read an article that the former Delta CEO had been running Amtrak and turning some stuff around.

feedback