[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 198159 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »
I agree that MSY and KCI are terrible. I always thought the variation in mid market airports throughout the US varied wildly. MSY is just bleak, for such a vibrant city, it isn’t the most welcoming place. PDX, DSM, CLT, CMH all seem to do a good job of cleanliness, well laid out, feels like you’re “in” that city, ample space and food options spread out to not be clustered.

Of major cities, ORD actually does a decent job, I don’t understand people that hate on it. The people mover fiasco though...

We were just in MSY last night.  They are opening up a completely new airport  in a couple of months.  Looks cool from the outside, and we saw on TV that the woman who was named "Chef of the Year" in NOLA is opening up a restaurant there.

ETA:  Jinx, Flyer!
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
Everytime I fly in and out of BNA, I want to steal one of the retro posters up on the wall during the long walk from the United gates to the rest of the terminal.

Dish, the next time you are in town, check this place out (if you haven't already).

https://hatchshowprint.com/
Have some patience, FFS.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »

LOL.  Name a world class city then?  Bad traffic disqualifies?  See ya to every large city in the US and Asia.  The airports are a mess, agreed but again, so are plenty.

The garbage is a problem but thats because they didn't plan for the population and growth 250 years ago.  They aren't alone in that.  Chicago is really the only historically old city in the country planned with them.  But again, name me world class cities that don't have issues with tons of population and the trash they produce.  Sound awfully sheltered or like you have a bad experience in Times Square and have it out for the Big Apple

Yeah, sheltered. I ate at the Red Lobster in Time Square on my only visit.  ::) In the past 12 months, I've only been to NYC 10 times, which is actually a bit of a down year for me. And I stray well beyond Time Square, as I work and stay in Brooklyn and Queens, as well as Manhattan. I am by no means an expert in the Big Apple.
Let me clarify for you.  As far as the garbage, no other major city that I have been in piles their garbage on the sidewalks each and every night.  Now, I haven't been to Kabul or other garden spots you may be saying also have the same problem.
And for traffic, the infrastructure in NYC is god awful. All the expressways are strewn with potholes and generally in awful conditions, as are the surface streets. And they have no real plans to address any of their traffic issues, unlike many world class cities. It will only get worse.
The cabs are nasty. Use a taxi in Berlin, London, or Rome and they are far better. (Although the ones in Rome are much like Mr Toad's Wild Ride)
The whole city seems to be in constant constructions. You can't walk more than a few blocks without having to duck through scaffolding or detour around closed sidewalks.
Bars are closing by the hundreds, as rent prices have drove them out of business.

Look there are some amazing things about NYC, but there are major flaws to what people proclaim as the greatest city in the world.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
We were just in MSY last night.  They are opening up a completely new airport  in a couple of months.  Looks cool from the outside, and we saw on TV that the woman who was named "Chef of the Year" in NOLA is opening up a restaurant there.

And kudos to your choices of venues in the Big Easy. Some excellent places!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2019, 08:29:53 PM »

Was told much the same by one of the people I met with there who is a 5th generation New Orleansian. She was not quite as optimistic about the timing although she did mention you had to drive through a neighborhood to get there as well as the chef/restaurant. It does look nice from the outside.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2019, 08:30:35 PM »
And kudos to your choices of venues in the Big Easy. Some excellent places!

The most fun place was a neighborhood joint in Central City that we stopped in on Sunday afternoon after touring the Garden District.  We were the only people in the place except for the bartender and a local guy, and we all watched a Marvel movie on the TV and cracked jokes about it. Local Guy was a stitch.  Typical comment:

"Mmm, that Black Widow is fine!  You KNOW The Hulk hit that!"

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:38:01 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »
Yeah, sheltered. I ate at the Red Lobster in Time Square on my only visit.  ::) In the past 12 months, I've only been to NYC 10 times, which is actually a bit of a down year for me. And I stray well beyond Time Square, as I work and stay in Brooklyn and Queens, as well as Manhattan. I am by no means an expert in the Big Apple.
Let me clarify for you.  As far as the garbage, no other major city that I have been in piles their garbage on the sidewalks each and every night.  Now, I haven't been to Kabul or other garden spots you may be saying also have the same problem.
And for traffic, the infrastructure in NYC is god awful. All the expressways are strewn with potholes and generally in awful conditions, as are the surface streets. And they have no real plans to address any of their traffic issues, unlike many world class cities. It will only get worse.
The cabs are nasty. Use a taxi in Berlin, London, or Rome and they are far better. (Although the ones in Rome are much like Mr Toad's Wild Ride)
The whole city seems to be in constant constructions. You can't walk more than a few blocks without having to duck through scaffolding or detour around closed sidewalks.
Bars are closing by the hundreds, as rent prices have drove them out of business.

Look there are some amazing things about NYC, but there are major flaws to what people proclaim as the greatest city in the world.

I didn't say you were sheltered, I said your argument sounded sheltered  8-) like it was an exception. First off, Ive never called it the greatest city in the world, and those that do either have a romanticized version of it, or default by virtue of it being the premiere city in what they consider the best country in the world.  But not saying its the greatest city in the world, doesn't mean its not "world class" which is all I pushed back on.

Tokyo leaves garbage out on the streets for collection.  HK, Beijing, and Shanghai all have trash problems.  Rome may not have garbage bags sitting out, rather they have trash everywhere.  Easily the dirtiest city Ive ever been to.  I adore London more than anything, but there is a growing rubbish problems in the streets there as well.  Massive cities with high density have trash problems.  Many are looking at ways to solve it, but NYC isn't unique with those struggles.

Cabs, agree to disagree, London is the only place where cabs are clearly superior for me, and you pay for it.  There is a reason rideshare apps have taken over the world in all varieties.  And NY is hardly the only city under "constant construction".  Chicago has the most cranes going in the Western Hemisphere, Asia is constantly growing and changing, London is constantly revitalizing.  One of the amusing things about my world travels is noticing the different scaffolding types and layouts from country to country, continent to continent.

Again, NY has it warts, no denying it.  But deeming it some uniquely flawed place that isn't "world class" just smacks of bias.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »

Funny you say ORD.  I have no issue, its my home base airport, and its perfectly fine, but you get people who act like its the 7th level of hell cause they got delayed on the way to Vegas one time.  I personally hate MCO, the whole place feels tacky.  I do love that there is usually approx 2 people in the Pre-Check line cause everyone else flies once every 2 years.  Heathrow is a lightning rod as well for people, but I absolutely enjoy flying in and out.  Spacious, airy, efficient, love the Heathrow Express, and the best "standard" United Club ive been to.

IAD and LAX are the pits.  CVG, KCI, BNA, and MSY round out my domestic hated list.

I like MCO. It is my home airport six months out of the year. Quick security clearance because i have pre-check. The people mover with the recording of OrlandoMayorBuddyDyer I could do without but it's efficient and the United club staff are wonderful. The club is a bit small but the folks more than make up for it. Car to security to gate is about nine minutes on average.

BNA? I don't get that one. I remember the old BNA and that WAS a dump. It has been gone for years. I get that BNA is like a six level chess set sometimes and that the walks are long, but it's a mid-sized airport and fine. Parking and rental cars are easy to get to (though a bit more silly since they moved the cars to the end of the garage). Close to downtown Nashville and the freeways aren't bad.

IAD needs to be blown up and tried again. At the very least, tear down the United Terminal and start over. What a hellhole.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:53:10 AM by dgies9156 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2019, 10:20:12 PM »
I didn't say you were sheltered, I said your argument sounded sheltered  8-) like it was an exception. First off, Ive never called it the greatest city in the world, and those that do either have a romanticized version of it, or default by virtue of it being the premiere city in what they consider the best country in the world.  But not saying its the greatest city in the world, doesn't mean its not "world class" which is all I pushed back on.

Tokyo leaves garbage out on the streets for collection.  HK, Beijing, and Shanghai all have trash problems.  Rome may not have garbage bags sitting out, rather they have trash everywhere.  Easily the dirtiest city Ive ever been to.  I adore London more than anything, but there is a growing rubbish problems in the streets there as well.  Massive cities with high density have trash problems.  Many are looking at ways to solve it, but NYC isn't unique with those struggles.

Cabs, agree to disagree, London is the only place where cabs are clearly superior for me, and you pay for it.  There is a reason rideshare apps have taken over the world in all varieties.  And NY is hardly the only city under "constant construction".  Chicago has the most cranes going in the Western Hemisphere, Asia is constantly growing and changing, London is constantly revitalizing.  One of the amusing things about my world travels is noticing the different scaffolding types and layouts from country to country, continent to continent.

Again, NY has it warts, no denying it.  But deeming it some uniquely flawed place that isn't "world class" just smacks of bias.

I second this post. Pbiflyer's complaints re NYC are applicable to every city regarding traffic and trash. Cabs are gross? Easy don't take one, a world class city offers great public transport and in most countries Uber and Lyft.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:00 AM »
I second this post. Pbiflyer's complaints re NYC are applicable to every city regarding traffic and trash. Cabs are gross? Easy don't take one, a world class city offers great public transport and in most countries Uber and Lyft.

Living in Connecticut, I'm in NYC all the time.  I've taken a cab maybe once?  I either drive in and subway & walk or Metro North Train and subway & walk. 

Benny B

• All American
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »
I dig the United gate signage at ORD that is now in Bears script with the old B in B concourse and the helmet C in C concourse. I also travel too much.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2019, 10:05:58 PM »
I dig the United gate signage at ORD that is now in Bears script with the old B in B concourse and the helmet C in C concourse. I also travel too much.

Had a Dodge Challenger rental yesterday and today in Denver....what a powerful production car.  Loved it.  Would never buy one, but loved it
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2019, 10:32:09 PM »
Do you prefer Grand Rapids, Omaha or Cincinnati?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2019/08/28/new-midwest-express-fly-between-mke-and-grand-rapids-omaha-and-cincinnati/2131665001/

No.

And they're leasing service from Elite Airways. Let's see how long it lasts.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
No.

And there's plenty of discussions going on all excited about the return of real dinners and china and 2 across leather seating.  Fools.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2019, 11:09:19 AM »
Flew business class to Europe from ORD on Lufthansa. Got to use the Polaris Club. Was blown away. Super nice.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
Flew business class to Europe from ORD on Lufthansa. Got to use the Polaris Club. Was blown away. Super nice.

In Chicago, yes it is.

In Newark, forget it (please see conversation/debate with Brother JWags)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2019, 02:36:56 PM »
No.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. A direct OMA/MKE flight would be very nice.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2019, 09:53:49 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. A direct OMA/MKE flight would be very nice.

How many people do you think fly daily between Omaha and Milwaukee?

Without a connecting hub and spokes, this service is doomed.

Even with CRJ 200s, probably the most cramped jet in the sky, I don't see how this works.

Go back a few years. When Midwest Airlines started as Midwest Express, it came out of a need to fly Kimberly Clark executives and staff from Appleton to Atlanta. It later grew into a premium airline out of Milwaukee. The problem Midwest had was there was not enough O/D traffic from Milwaukee and not enough spokes flying into the city to make the hub there competitive against Fortress Chicago with United and American.

With Southwest in the Milwaukee market, I don't understand the opportunity for a contract airline to fly spoke service between Milwaukee, Grand Rapids (23 minutes flying time), Omaha and any other regional sub-market. The only thing that might make sense is Milwaukee to Dallas, Denver, Seattle, New York or Florida.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #319 on: August 30, 2019, 04:49:30 AM »
Yeah, again, keeping my fingers crossed. I understand why it doesn’t exist now. I remember all the flights I used to take when it was Midwest and AirTran. I consistently had my group of three seats to myself, sometimes full rows, sometimes sections of the plane. I knew it wasn’t going to last. But damn, it was convenient.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #320 on: August 30, 2019, 08:31:42 AM »
I'm really stumped how Midwest Express can grow .. let alone survive .. with Omaha, Grand Rapids, and Cincy as their routes.

Gotta have some money makers, like southbound tourism flights in the winter-spring months.

I know how hard it is to get a gate at an major airport.  I wonder if any have ever tried going to minor airports.  Like .. (random Florida search..) Sarasota, Florida.  It's a legit airport with a few gates and 17 regular flights.   It's within 2.5 hours drive of Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Myers, Naples and dozens of tourist islands.

Link MKE to Sarasota, and market it as a way to get to Florida's beaches.  Same story for something like Pensacola.   Zillions of Wisconsinites make that awful drive to Florida's panhandle.

I'm sure there's a reason this doesn't happen.. ?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
Yeah, again, keeping my fingers crossed. I understand why it doesn’t exist now. I remember all the flights I used to take when it was Midwest and AirTran. I consistently had my group of three seats to myself, sometimes full rows, sometimes sections of the plane. I knew it wasn’t going to last. But damn, it was convenient.

My father used to fly AirTran for his domestic business travel and United abroad.  AirTran basically gave you status if you flew 5 round trips in a 3 month period.  Which lead to alot of upgrades, status benefits, etc...  It was pretty great for a frequent traveler.  SWA has its benefits, but didn't compete with that, so when SWA acquired AirTran, he and many others were pretty ticked.  Started flying United for everything then.

I know how hard it is to get a gate at an major airport.  I wonder if any have ever tried going to minor airports.  Like .. (random Florida search..) Sarasota, Florida.  It's a legit airport with a few gates and 17 regular flights.   It's within 2.5 hours drive of Tampa, Orlando, Ft. Myers, Naples and dozens of tourist islands.

Link MKE to Sarasota, and market it as a way to get to Florida's beaches.  Same story for something like Pensacola.   Zillions of Wisconsinites make that awful drive to Florida's panhandle.

All about price.  Sarasota is a great smaller airport. During my time at PepsiCo, I worked on Tropicana.  The former HQ and still base of operations was the plant in Bradenton.  Sarasota was the preferred airport but only about 1 out of 3 trips would I fly into there because it was a substantially higher cost than heading to Tampa and renting a car.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #322 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm really stumped how Midwest Express can grow .. let alone survive .. with Omaha, Grand Rapids, and Cincy as their routes.

Gotta have some money makers, like southbound tourism flights in the winter-spring months.

supposedly they asked local business for what routes they would use that are underserved

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 30, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »
Eye wuzant axed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #324 on: August 30, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
All about price.  Sarasota is a great smaller airport. During my time at PepsiCo, I worked on Tropicana.  The former HQ and still base of operations was the plant in Bradenton.  Sarasota was the preferred airport but only about 1 out of 3 trips would I fly into there because it was a substantially higher cost than heading to Tampa and renting a car.

Elite Airways, which is leasing crews and planes for the Midwest Express venture, already flies to "off-the-beaten-path" airports in Florida in the winter. They have regular service to Melbourne from cities on the east coast and from Vero Beach to Newark and Asheville.

Melbourne is a city with a boatload of defense contractors serving the Cape and Vero is a city desperate for commercial air service to anywhere. The Elite service to Newark and, more recently, Asheville, NC, has done well.

None of these places are Omaha, Grand Rapids and Cincinnati.

feedback